PDA

View Full Version : FF7 Playtest (Sandbox game, OOC)

Marc_In_Da_Room
2012-11-29, 02:51 PM
Right, here we go Thundercracker, It's just you versus the Gamemaster :smallbiggrin:. Sign in and pick a colour.

GAME RULES

You must post at least once a day.
It's a sandbox game. you can do anything from influencing history to changing canon events.
Use the best of your abilities, don't just do the obvious.
Have fun :smallsmile:.

Thundercracker
2012-11-29, 08:05 PM
darkred
magenta

Hmm... I'll have to say I'll go with...darkred

I should be able to post at least every day, and will let you know in advance if I'm travelling or anything that might interfere.

So what's the setting?

edit: http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=475546

Marc_In_Da_Room
2012-11-30, 02:48 AM
The game will begin towards the end of the Wutai War (start of Crisis Core). Genesis has abandoned SOLDIER, and has taken a lot of 3rd and 2nd class members with him.

Thundercracker
2012-11-30, 04:16 AM
Sweet. What does my character know about the war, and is there a good resource I can use to read up on the history?

Marc_In_Da_Room
2012-11-30, 08:21 AM
The best source will be the final fantasy wiki. Type in Wutai War in the search box.
Fira knows that the war started because Godo Kisaragi, the emporor of Wutai, refused the construction of a mako reactor on sacred Wutai land. Also, the Vajradhara clan have united with the people of Wutai to help defend the Island.

Thundercracker
2012-11-30, 09:41 AM
Alright, I think I pretty much got it. Sheet amended.

I think my character is going to be pretty indoctrinated when it comes to Shinra, seeing as she's in the air force.

Marc_In_Da_Room
2012-11-30, 11:16 AM
Cool. I'll post an IC thread later tonight then the game will commence.

Edit: here is the IC link:

History Rewritten - FF7 (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=14305933#post14305933)

Thundercracker
2012-12-03, 01:13 AM
I just realized I haven't been using my color. If it's alright, I'm going to keep it as black until such time as we add additional players. It's easier to type that way and we don't really need to distinguish between players...

Also, which time zone are you in, so I know whenabouts to be more active?

Marc_In_Da_Room
2012-12-03, 01:43 AM
That's ok. It won't be a while yet until a search for a new player so go ahead and use black :smallsmile:.

Also, i live in England so GMT is my time zone. I'm mainly active between 6-7.30 in the morning and 7-9 pm in the evening.

Thundercracker
2012-12-03, 03:11 AM
Is there a keyhole for the padlock? Does it look sturdy? I doubt a stone would be able to break the padlock.

Is the stone thin enough to jam into the padlock and use as a makeshift lockpick?

Marc_In_Da_Room
2012-12-03, 08:16 AM
Maaaybe :D. Only way is to try it.

Marc_In_Da_Room
2012-12-07, 01:43 PM
Erm, slight problem. My broadband is down and im using my phone to post on the forum.

Also, the box is actually a crate with wodden bars. Sorry i wasn't specific.

Thundercracker
2012-12-07, 09:18 PM
No worries. Let me know if you want me to change up playstyle or anything.

Thundercracker
2012-12-13, 06:59 PM
Are there any spells already on the enemy skill?

Marc_In_Da_Room
2012-12-13, 09:46 PM
No there isn't. Also, your own personal clothes are considered light armour for purposes of equipping materia.

Thundercracker
2012-12-13, 10:24 PM
Cool, thanks.

It might be a good idea to restore hps equal to 1d10 + every point treat injury exceeds DC15, that way potions get better with level and give people a reason to specialize.

Also, I'm AFB right now, but I think scouts get more skill points than rogues, any particular reason that is?

Marc_In_Da_Room
2012-12-14, 05:23 AM
No particular reason actually, do you think the number of trained skills should be swapped around between Rogues and Scouts? Also, i like your idea on hp restoration. I'll do the same for mp healing as well.

Erm, dont want to sound like an idiot but what does AFB mean?

Thundercracker
2012-12-14, 06:30 AM
Away From Books.

The reason I'm asking is because rogues have lower hps, # of skills, mp, and BAB when compared to scouts. I'm not sure exactly what should be done (switching around would help), but it seems a bit unbalanced.

Marc_In_Da_Room
2012-12-14, 03:30 PM
Thanks for that. I've made some changes. The Rogue and Scout's mp and number of trained skills have been swapped around.

Thundercracker
2012-12-16, 05:52 AM
What's the ceremonial chamber look like? Are there any visible exits?

Marc_In_Da_Room
2012-12-16, 03:15 PM
just updated post in IC thread

Marc_In_Da_Room
2012-12-18, 03:10 AM
Sorry i didnt reply yesterday, was busy with work. Could you make a Perception check please in the IC thread.

Marc_In_Da_Room
2012-12-21, 12:20 PM
What does 'kalaria' mean?

Thundercracker
2012-12-21, 09:53 PM
What does 'kalaria' mean?

That's Fira's last name.

Marc_In_Da_Room
2012-12-22, 04:39 AM
Ah ok, sorry lol.

Thundercracker
2013-01-02, 07:58 PM
Hey man, I've got some feedback, not on the system, but on GM style (hopefully it is constructive).

In tabletop, it makes perfect sense to go back to the player for every detail, because everyone's sitting together and rolling dice is quick. In PbP, a single post/reply can be a day or more. Because of that, pretty much every GM post should end with enough detail for the players to make a decision as to what their characters are going to do. The most recent perception check is a perfect example (ask for perception check, make the check, respond with detail, decision is made = 4 posts, vs make perception check & provide detail, decision is made = 2 posts). In PbP, rather than asking the player to roll perception, it would be faster/more efficient if the GM makes the perception check for the player, then tell him/her what the character sees based on that, then ask for a decision.

How's that sound?

perception: [roll0]

Marc_In_Da_Room
2013-01-03, 02:45 AM
Sounds perfectly logical to me.

Thundercracker
2013-01-09, 07:13 PM
Level up rogue:
Class feat: skill focus: Pilot
talent: Dastardly Strike
Limit: Mind Blow

HP: [roll0]
MP: [roll1]

Marc_In_Da_Room
2013-01-14, 01:59 PM
thanks for the heads up on your character's level up. I've got something planned coming up that allows good use of a couple of your skills

Thundercracker
2013-01-23, 06:41 PM
If you're tired of the game, just say so. There's no need to double up on a critical hit and instakill the character without any warning. :p

That being said, I left the pdfs at home. Is there any way to use a mako point to avoid dying in this situation?

Also, heroin is a drug. Heroine is the female form of hero. Just something that's been bugging me.

If not, then game over, and we'll do a post-test review.

Marc_In_Da_Room
2013-01-24, 12:26 PM
On the subject of damage, just halve it so it won't instant kill you :p

Also, the heroine bits were typos, sorry.

I'm not bored of the game, intrigued as to what will happen next :D

Thundercracker
2013-01-24, 06:16 PM
Since she was never able to heal up to full hps, that 20 hps of damage still drops her to -3, so she's out of commission for the time being.

Also, since this is a playtest, I have to ask, was perception and initiative rolled on both sides?

Also, I'd like to point out that these kinds of rolls are why backstab multiplier was changed to sneak attack damage from 2e to 3e D&D. Multipliers are nasty, and combining the two attacks changed the chance for a double crit from .25% to 5%, i.e. 20x more likely.

On the plus side, the limit break meter is now at 3, unless getting knocked out drops it to zero.

Marc_In_Da_Room
2013-01-25, 03:33 AM
Ok, as GM I will say for purposes of the game, the attacks were a miss. Also, they performed a pre-emptive attack.

Thundercracker
2013-02-17, 09:13 AM
So far, I'm noticing that getting to a limit break is extremely difficult. In fact, if things continue the way they are, my character may be level 5 before getting to the first limit break.

I guess the best way to resolve this is to first determine how often you want limit breaks to happen. If you want it once a level, then you can make that explicit in the rules. If you want it based on how much combat the character is in, perhaps make it on attempted attacks, or attacks which target the character (regardless of whether they hit).

Characters in tabletop RPGs take hits much less than in the FF games, and hits tend to add up quickly, resulting in character death, which is also much more rare (there's not a 'continue?' option in TT, it's more like... your character is dead, roll for stats for a new character).

Also, clips and magazines are prohibitively expensive, is that by design? The machine gun is supposed to be less accurate than the assault rifle, and the range is given as medium, but that doesn't correspond to the weapon ranges on the prior page; did you mean ranges are treated as a pistol? Also, the assault rifle is single fire only, which doesn't make sense for an assault rifle (from what I know, assault rifles are capable of single, burst, and full-auto modes).

Marc_In_Da_Room
2013-02-20, 06:04 AM
Thanks for pointing that out, i'll make changes to those weapons to be more in keeping with the ranges table and will correct the prices of ammo.

As for limit gauge problem, i'll make it for number of attempted hits like you suggested.

Also, I have created a website for my FF7 d20 system. link is in my signiature so please check it out if you can. There is a forum on there as well :smallbiggrin:.

Anything else you have noticed?

Thundercracker
2013-02-20, 09:04 AM
I'll let you know as I come up with stuff. The vajraharda species traits seem very powerful, namely double act and weapon mastery. Add +6 strength and you've got a real beast, capable of dishing out a LOT of damage.

Marc_In_Da_Room
2013-02-21, 11:44 AM
I'm going to be looking over the races and altering them anyway so it shouldn't be a problem. I'll tone down their ability modifiers and their race traits.

Thundercracker
2013-03-17, 10:37 AM
I'm going to be looking over the races and altering them anyway so it shouldn't be a problem. I'll tone down their ability modifiers and their race traits.

level up in scout, take careful shot, weapon focus rifle feats.

hp: [roll0]
magic: [roll1]

Thundercracker
2013-04-15, 02:21 AM
Are we still moving forward with this game?

Thundercracker
2013-05-05, 09:44 AM
It's been over a month. I'm bailing on this game. I'd be interested in playing with a group of people though, so PM me if you want to start a new one up.

The game is designed for a group, so I think that's the next step. You'll get a good idea of how different types of characters are balanced compared to one another. I would challenge the players to make the most powerful character they can according to the rules, but be strict, only one of each class allowed.

Thanks for letting me try it out.