PDA

View Full Version : Solomon Kane

Suteinu
2012-11-29, 05:33 PM
I'm trying to come up with a solid build for Robert Howard's pussiant Puritan. I'm thinking about 12 levels, give or take, in a low-magic setting. Assume that firearms are a Martial WP and use the Defense alternate rules from PHB II. For those who have never read Solomon Kane, he is described as a pale, solomn man with cold eyes and a cat-like grace, clothed in the simple, dark garb of a 16' - 1700's Puritan. He favors the rapier and dagger, but is also deadly with the brace of flintlock pistols he wears when he knows he' swalking into danger.

I'm seeing mostly Swashbuckler (homebrewed to include the Riposte Sp Ab from Cityscape) and Fighter (varriations galore) levels, making him a solid melee combatant. He should be a quick and cunning fighter, so Dex and Int should be pretty high, though like most pulp heroes he is likely to have MADly impressive stats. He should have the Resilliant (CC) ACF for one of his Fighter levels, and at some point Mettel is appropriate. Other class possibilities that come to mind are Barbarian (Whrling Frenzy & Lion Totem Pounce), Crusader-dip, or maybe some Paladin varriant. There is a PrC in Tome of Magic that seems good, a Witch-Hunter or something (I don't have my books about me right now), but I'm not sure yet.

Feats: Combat Reflexes, Deadly Defense, Two-Weapon Fighting, and Weapon Finesse are all solid. Maybe Knowledge Devotion, but I'm not sure. Considering the punishment he takes in a fight and how he seems to feed off of it, Kharmic Strike or Robilar's Gambit are appropriate. Asside from that, I don't know.

Skills: His physical skills (Balance, Climb, Jump, Tumble) are probably respectable, but not necessarily maxed-out. He should be familiar with Knowledges (Local, History, Religion, and, later on, Arcane). The skills he displays most strongly are Intimidate and Sense Motive. He has also been noted as a competant horseman and an experienced sailor.

I'm working on a couple of potential builds tonight; I'll try to post one by tomorrow, but don't wait on me. Oh, and I'm only familiar with Howard's writing; I haven't seen the movie yet, and I have a graphic novel on the way, so if there's any characteristics I've missed, please make mention.

herrhauptmann
2012-11-29, 06:37 PM
Don't forget the magic quarterstaff he has.
Some witchdoctor/wizard/priest/whatever gave it to him to help with some quest. Afterwards, he held onto the staff, and every once in a while, the wizard/priest would pop up and give some aid. Sometimes in person, sometimes remotely.
Build:
I don't think barbarian would work well for his combat style, beyond the tons of HP. Paladin/crusader would be thematic. He should probably have a level of ranger, he sometimes spends a long time chasing/fleeing through the wilderness, and paladin/fighter frankly don't have the skills to back that up.
Witchslayer would be good, but he shouldn't have the full five levels.
Probably a little bit of UMD to showcase his ability to use unusual magics to his advantage.
Mettle would be good. Perhaps evasion and uncanny dodge too.
Factotum with UMD might a good idea, rather than rogue/ranger/barb to get evasion or uncanny dodge.

Regarding the Kane stories:
I personally preferred the ones where he's wandering in Europe or the Americas. His latent racism came out pretty strong during his african adventures. :smallfrown:
I'd recommend avoiding the movie and just getting the book of collected stories by REH. I haven't seen it, but I can't see it being done very well. It's not like carouses like Conan did.

Suteinu
2012-11-30, 12:55 PM
My initial thoughts were:

1- Swsh 1: Riposte +1d6 Weapon Finesse, Combat Reflexes, Deadly Defense
2- Swsh 2: Grace +1
3- Swsh 3: Instfl Strk; Riposte +1d6 +1 AC
2 Wpn Fighting
4- Ftr 1: Hit & Run ?
5- Ftr 2: Resolute
6- Wtchsl 1: Smite Lightning Reflexes
7- Wtchsl 2: Mettle
8- Swsh 4:
9- Swsh 5: Shield of Blades; Riposte +2d6, +1 AC
?
10- Ftr 3: Zhent (SkFoc: Intimidate)
11- Ftr 4: Align Weapon
12- ? Robilar's Gambit

The Staff of Solomon could be an Item Familiar or an Ancestral Weapon if teh UMD skill points prove too costly. Thanks for mentioning it, mein Herr; I was so focussed on his fencing that I plumb forgot that a witchdoctor gave him the rod :smallbiggrin:

Ranger might be good to insert; he does get to be quite a dogged hunter of the unjust. I also agree that Crusader would fit admirably, maybe better than Witchslayer. The Fighter levels I've incorporated all have ACF modifications. I tried to make it very no-nonsense and practical as a basis for critique and refinement.

Talionis
2012-11-30, 02:01 PM
Read the stories and saw the movie. The characters are distinctly different from one another, but both stories are compelling.

Crusader really works. He can take beating. Faith is the source of his strength, but Cain isn't inherently magical (thus leading me away from Paladin).

He shouldn't be untrained in UMD, but it could easily be a cross class skill. Its more Cain's faith and strength of will that powers any magical device than actual training.

Stat wise, Cain never struck me as particularly smart or stupid, average Intelligence. Cain would probably have Charisma in his own way which works with Crusader. Cain is strong, but not Conan strong (Conan is the example of a Barbarian; Cain is very different). Cain would have a good Wisdom score because he doesn't not see evil, he chooses to walk right into it. Cain's Constitution probably should be his highest stat because he always seems to take a beating. Dex would be a lot like strength, Cain's no Robin Hood, but he's also no slouch.

S: 15
D: 15
C: 18
I: 11
W: 15
C: 16

Leadership Feat to get his Witchdoctor friend.

Prestige Class?

Death Delver -- I'm probably trying to force Heroes of Horror, but it works with the Movie story line.

Suteinu
2012-12-06, 04:48 PM
Beginning with Talionis' stats, here's attempt #2:
S- 15, D- 15, Cn- 20, I- 12, W- 15, Ch- 16

1- Ftr1: Hit & Run, Kensei (Sp, Drg #310) Combat Reflexes, Deadly Defense
2- Ftr2: Resolute
3- Ftr3: Phys Prowess (the Endurance one) Power Attack
4- Ftr4: Align Weapon
5- Rngr1: Fv'd Enemy (Human), Wild Emp (ACF?)
Track
6- Rngr2: Combat Style -> 2 Wpn Fighting, Leap Attack
7- Rngr3: Bns Ft -> Endurance
8- Crsd1: Furious Counterstrike, Steely Resolve 5
9- Crsd2: Indomitable Soul ????
10- Crsd3: Zealous Surge
11- Crsd4: Steely Resolve 10
12- ???? Robilar's Gambit