PDA

View Full Version : What is this character?

RFLS
2012-11-29, 07:17 PM
So, I'm playing with a friend who claims he's based his character on something we're all familiar with. The character is a goblin in search of a new place to live for his tribe. He's also subjecting himself to physical extremes to determine the best environment for the tribe. Every level (it's Pathfinder) he takes a level in a new class. So...anyone? It's driving me nuts.

EDIT: The character's name is Blartin Muther, if that helps.

Ravens_cry
2012-11-29, 07:25 PM
Sounds like Senor Vorpal Kickasso, AKA Fumbles (http://goblinscomic.wikia.com/wiki/Fumbles)from the webcomic Goblins to me. Incidentally, the only good thing, practically the only thing period, that be said is that his saves will be extremely good, as this is a terrible, terrible, oh holy mother of monkeys, terrible terrible to the power of terrible idea.
Unless other players optimization is equally inept, this deserves a DM veto in my opinion. The concept of going off to find new land for his tribe, not bad, good in fact, lot's of potential.
As for taking a different class every level . . . have I mentioned how terrible an idea this is? Because it is.
Terrible I mean.

Zale
2012-11-29, 07:30 PM
The part of my soul claimed by the gods of optimization shriveled at the thought.

holywhippet
2012-11-29, 07:32 PM
How bad it is depends on what classes are being taken though. If you stick with the full BAB classes then it's not actually that bad. Every spell casting class you grab is hurting you in the long run. I mean a few levels in cleric/druid isn't a bad thing but being a cleric/druid/bard/wizard/sorcerer will give you a lot of low level spells that that's about all.

Water_Bear
2012-11-29, 07:48 PM
This guys sounds like he's angling for a nice game of Troll; the Enraegening with the rest of the party. Seeing as you're supposed to be playing Pathfinder, tell him to kindly knock it the heck off.

Ravens_cry
2012-11-29, 07:55 PM
The part of my soul claimed by the gods of optimization shriveled at the thought.
The sad thing is that Goblins are a pretty good race in Pathfinder, with a lot of unique options that have a great deal of potential.
The blood of a thousand adventurers calls out from the ground.
They call,
"WWHHHYYYYY? ? ? ? ? ? ? ! ! ! ! ! ! !"

NikitaDarkstar
2012-11-29, 10:15 PM
The part of my soul claimed by the general, and much kinder, gaming gods had a similar reaction...

Seriously someone needs to smack this guy in the head with a rulebook. The character background and concept may be interesting and even good, but the mechanics don't work that way!

Lapak
2012-11-30, 12:52 AM
So, I'm playing with a friend who claims he's based his character on something we're all familiar with. The character is a goblin in search of a new place to live for his tribe. He's also subjecting himself to physical extremes to determine the best environment for the tribe. Every level (it's Pathfinder) he takes a level in a new class. So...anyone? It's driving me nuts.

EDIT: The character's name is Blartin Muther, if that helps.The name suggest Martin Luther, but I can't map the Reformation or any other trait to the 'searching for a new home, subjecting self to extremes' or the one-level-per-class thing. Those things in and of themselves don't trigger any particular associations for me, either.

nedz
2012-11-30, 04:55 AM
Sounds like Senor Vorpal Kickasso, AKA Fumbles (http://goblinscomic.wikia.com/wiki/Fumbles)from the webcomic Goblins to me. Incidentally, the only good thing, practically the only thing period, that be said is that his saves will be extremely good, as this is a terrible, terrible, oh holy mother of monkeys, terrible terrible to the power of terrible idea.
Unless other players optimization is equally inept, this deserves a DM veto in my opinion. The concept of going off to find new land for his tribe, not bad, good in fact, lot's of potential.
this, well it sounds obvious.

As for taking a different class every level . . . have I mentioned how terrible an idea this is? Because it is.
Terrible I mean.

Is it a high OP game ?
If his playing ability is above average for the group, then I just see this as him choosing to play at a higher level of difficulty.

Driderman
2012-11-30, 05:47 AM
The name suggest Martin Luther, but I can't map the Reformation or any other trait to the 'searching for a new home, subjecting self to extremes' or the one-level-per-class thing. Those things in and of themselves don't trigger any particular associations for me, either.

Actually, several sources describe Martin Luther as inflicting hardship and pain on himself in the name of God, so I guess that might be a count for the "extremes".

RFLS
2012-11-30, 01:25 PM
Yeah, he confirmed that it was MLK. The character is a prince of his tribe, or as the player put it, "Junior King." So...Blartin Muther, Junior King.

He's busily preaching in every city we come to about the unwarranted prejudice goblins are subjected to.

In answer to the "oh god why's" concerning optimization, he seems to be making it work okay for now. It's an archery build, and one of his levels is Zen Archer, which nets him Perfect Strike, an extra attack, and a bonus archery feat. There's also a standing houserule that Flurry can be combined with other means of obtaining extra attacks, meaning Rapid Shot and Many Shot are on the table. I think if he focuses on extreme accuracy and getting a lot of attacks, he'll be okay, especially if he takes Clustered Shots, or dips for Sneak Attack a few times, or both.

Lapak
2012-11-30, 01:46 PM
I was thinking of the guy who helped kick off Protestantism, (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martin_Luther) not the civil rights activist (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martin_Luther_King,_Jr.), but...

Either way, it sounds like something that could either be good for the campaign or just really, really tasteless - depending largely on the reactions of the other players and also the actual status of goblins in the campaign world. (If they're pretty much like other humanoids/demihumans other than reaction to being slaughtered and driven out vs. if they are literally bloodthirsty monsters in the setting.)