PDA

View Full Version : Fate or Freedom

Rhyvurg
2012-11-29, 10:52 PM
In the far west of Creation, in a nameless village on a small island, demigods are gathering. Some believe they have come here by chance, some pursuing their own goals. But the truth is, they were summoned. They are not aware of it yet, but their fates have been twisted to someone else's ends. Their arrivals have been expertly timed, as they happen to pass within eye shot of the docks, an Imperial Navy ship enters the bay, bearing the banner of the Immaculate Order. It can only be the Wyld Hunt, but how did they know where to look? Or are they here for something else?

Maugan Ra
2012-11-29, 11:32 PM
The Navy ship is not the only one near the small Island. Another, smaller one lies beached on the nearby shores, dragged there deliberately by the hands of it's crew so that it would not be carried away by a sudden storm. It's little more than a skiff in truth, just about large enough to carry perhaps two dozen individuals on short trips along the numerous island chains in the West.

It's crew are presently in the process of getting ready to move it back into the water, their simple provisioning stop on this out of the way island just about concluded. Their pale flesh and dark hair mark them out as natives of Skullstone just as clearly as the dark uniforms they wear. As the Navy ship augers into the bay, several of them stop work temporarily and cast looks at their commanding officer.

"Keep working. I want to be back under way in an hour or so at the most. I'll deal with this."

The officer is a woman, a significant rarity among the people of the West, especially considering that she is neither Tya nor concealing her gender. Such a thing would normally invoke the wrath of the Storm Mothers, but then, dark rumors have long abounded regarding the dread reputation of the Silver Prince, lord of Skullstone. Who knows what he is capable of, that even the gods dare not trouble his soldiers too much?

She is beautiful, that much is clear even with the unflattering cut of the military uniform, but there is something about her pale flesh and long white hair that is disquieting all the same. It makes her look more like a statue than a person... or perhaps a corpse. Still, she is confident enough to stand there, in plain sight on the coast near the small village, arms crossed as she watches the Navy ship approach the crude docks.

Nimademe
2012-11-30, 04:54 AM
[Music: Opening Notes] (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=miKuhvBbHto)

The officer hears the sound of strings from far off, noticing another woman in the distance clad in the green of jade. The waves of the nearby sea seemed to inherently suit her, adding an ambiance to her sound that would otherwise be missing. The song was of immense beauty and the sound emulated that of a storm, despite the fact that there wasn't a cloud in the sky to rain on them.

"Greetings." She maintained a good distance from the officer, far enough that only a bow would reach the gap between them. While the officer was without a doubt an incredible gem, the lady playing the shamisen was at least of equal luster. Her exploration had led her to both this island and this meeting, an air of pleasantry and elegance surrounding the mistress of the three strings.

"I am Verdana of the Infinite Waves, who are you?"

Maugan Ra
2012-11-30, 05:42 AM
Her head turns to regard the other woman, the single lengthly braid swinging slightly with the motion.

"I gave up my original name when I accepted my present position, and it is not customary to freely announce the one I bear now." She says in an expressionless voice. "'Captain' will do, if you need something to call me."

Darth_Versity
2012-11-30, 05:52 AM
Frustration evident on his face, the young man know only as the Delicate Anvil made his way through the village. The 'contact' he had come to see had turned out to be another dead end. He hoped to get a boat away from the island soon, but expected it could be a few days before the opportunity arose.

A commotion amongst the villages caused him to look up from his thoughts and out towards the sea. The sails of a great ship approached and Anvil's heart lifted.

"Maybe i'll get away sooner than I thought." he muttered to himself. But then his eyes looked up towards the flag, billowing in the light breeze. "No... Oh no..."

Panic set in as his mind raced with the possibilities. How had they found him? How many had been sent? Did they actually know he was here or was it coincidence?He raced between the buildings and towards the beech and cliffs. Perhaps he could find a cave around the island somewhere and hide away till they gave up.

As he exited the village his panic stricken mind caught the faint notes of the most beautiful music he had ever heard. Entranced he followed its sound, his early worry completely forgotten. It lead him to the top of a small cliff where he looked down upon two people facing each other.

He waited, nestled between the rocks, curious about they're exchange.

Felyndiira
2012-11-30, 06:36 AM
It was not uncustomary to find Prescia here, in some strange and nameless island without an iota of presence in the realms. Even within the blessed isle, the songstress of the Nellens family was known to be an avid traveler in her later days. Officially, she wanted to spread her music to the world in a way befitting of an attention seeker; there are some that speculated that the girl was involved in some shady overseas trade, and through it was able to acquire her ridiculous wealth. Whatever the cause, however, she was now on this island disguised by a stoic, featureless mask and a hooded robe that obscured most of her hair and her body. Her chest was bound with bandages, and her waist was padded so that no remnant curves were visible on her body. Behind it all, one could very easily mistake her for a ominous young boy.

She was not really supposed to be on this island, however. A transport ship was supposed to deliver her from this island within a few days, and as of this moment, the ship was already late by a full two weeks and some hours. The meddling of the Lintha pirates, most likely - whatever the reason, however, the girl had little reason to be here, and had been keen on escaping this island on the next opportunity available to her. She had some of her wealth converted into soulsteel scrip in case if Skullstone managed to land here; not that skullstone was any more pleasant of a destination for a tourist, although it would not be too difficult to at least secure a transport to Coral, if not directly back to the realms.

Really, as long as she could adequately disguise herself, maybe she could even escape on that Immaculate ship. The girl toyed with the idea for a bit in silent amusement before dismissing it with a laugh; convincing the order to take her back would be the easy part, while getting past their whatever anti-anathema charms would not. As bland as the life and festivities are here, she would much rather be stranded on the island rather than risk something that big just for one chance to return to the blessed isle - a chance that, with patience, will quickly come back.

There was another...an officer from some naval force in the west commanding what looked like a small scouting ship. Is it a part of the Coral navy? Perhaps something from the isles of Skullstone? Whatever it is, she would much rather not remain on this island when the immaculate monks come crawling about - with no options remaining, perhaps it would be best to simply see if she could purchase a passage to whichever liege the officer serves. Coral, skullstone, or whatever other force resides in the seas - as long as she ends up in some large pocket of civilization, it would be easy to at least make better plans than waiting on a backwater little island.

Prescia decided to approach the ship, stopping only when she mistakenly bumped into a man watching the scene with interest. "Please pardon me," she whispered to the man, pausing only to gain a quick glimpse of his countenance before proceeding with her plan.

Maugan Ra
2012-11-30, 06:46 AM
The signs of movement in the nearby cliffs drew her attention, like the gaze of a hawk caught by the merest twitching of the grass. A figure... no, two of them, apparently young men, crouched in between the rocks. One remained stationary, the other seemed to be approaching with some intent.

"Can I help you?" The captain says to them, pitching her voice so that it carries to the one in the rocks as well.

Nimademe
2012-11-30, 07:23 AM
"Well met, Captain." Verdana ceased strumming on the strings, following the gaze of the captain and looking where she was. A meeting of two immediately expanding into a meeting of many? It seemed like something interesting was afoot, Verdana tossing a smile at where the other two were hiding. "Would you like to come down?"

Darth_Versity
2012-11-30, 07:55 AM
His hiding place broken by the strangers knock, Anvil sighed and began the steady climb down the rocks. Fate, it seemed, wished him to meet with this group, but for what reason he could not guess. At the very least they had a means off of the island and that was better than his current predicament.

"Greetings." He called out while jumping past the last rock. "I am in swift need off passage away from this island. Maybe we can all come to some arrangement?"

Maugan Ra
2012-11-30, 08:04 AM
A deliberate glance at the incoming Realm ship, flying the colours of the Immaculate order, before the officer turns back to regard the young man.

"Swift need?" She says, aware of several possible implications. "Well. I have a ship, but it is a military scout, not a passenger liner. Why reason might I have to take you aboard?"

Closer up, the uniform she wears can only spell her allegiance all the more clearly. Only Skullstone troops wore such unusually morbid uniforms - symptomatic of their entire culture, in many ways.

Nimademe
2012-11-30, 08:09 AM
With Verdana not in any particular rush to leave the island herself, she hummed a tune for a few seconds before looking at the man. "It would be nice to get your name." The ship she had taken here was another wreck, there wasn't any way that she'd be returning on the same vessel. For however much rage the gods had at her for daring to be a woman, she always seemed to reach her destination sooner or later.

Ralasha
2012-11-30, 08:20 AM
The Lunar, dark of hair and skin, but light of eye, sits where she was when Anvil got called out. He hadn't noticed her, why should they?

Her white fur was trimmed with grey and silver. Her claws sharp, her teeth formidable, she was one with the waves! She followed Anvil onto the boat.

Right! After all, I'm just an otter. Pay no mind to the otter. Albeit an otter wearing a saddle, and large enough to ride.

She then shakes furiously in order to rid herself of some of the water caught in her fur.

Felyndiira
2012-11-30, 08:35 AM
"Looks like the two of us are on the same boat," Prescia laughed, turning toward the other dynast as she spoke in a faux-tenor voice. Even as her lips moved, the mask that veiled her countenance was locked in an eternal stare of blankness; it was not an exotic artifact, and as such was not well equipped to duplicate the peticularities of her expression. Despite this, she still approached the ship's captain; as a maiden of voyage in the Western seas, she is likely to understand why one maybe hesitant to show her face in these lands.

"Most revered captain of Skullstone," she answered her with a courteous bow, stepping forward with a handful of soulsteel scrip clutched in her right hand. "I do believe that I and this fellow are of similar circumstance; my ship was to arrive at this island two weeks prior, but a herd of savage Lintha brutes (she made sure to place special emphasis on the word 'Lintha') destroyed the ship and left me stranded on this island. I can only offer these scrip and perhaps my horse as an exchange for passage, but if there is something else you need, please tell me and I will try my best if it's within my resources."

"My name is Nellens Prescia," she added quickly, noting the importance of establishing friendly relations with her potential benefactor. "I'm a traveling songstress and an unofficial historian of the Blessed Isle, and a daughter of House Nellens. I met ask you to excuse me for the mask - it's just my meager attempt of trying to avoid the wrath of the Storm Mothers."

Maugan Ra
2012-11-30, 08:57 AM
"Nellens. The Great House." The captain nods slowly. "Standing orders are for any of such... illustrious rank to be brought back to Skullstone, where you might be looked after and your family contacted. We have no particular love for the Lintha either, so your problem is likely to earn you some extra assistance."

She pauses at the sounds of loud surprise from the direction of the ship, and turns to look. "And I would greatly appreciate someone explaining the... riding otter?"

Ralasha
2012-11-30, 08:59 AM
At the sound of the words 'riding otter' as though they were its name, the otter quickly dives into the water and comes flying out at a run, to stop a few feet away from Anvil. She then begins to nudge the captain repeatedly.

Nimademe
2012-11-30, 08:59 AM
Verdana's interest was immediately piqued at the mention of music."A songstress! Could you show me some of your work?" She held her shamisen in her hands, recognized to those familiar with the field of music as an unsurpassed treasure. Three stones marked the path of the three shamisen strings, two of them being of hearth and the last being unrecognizable even to scholars.

Darth_Versity
2012-11-30, 09:36 AM
The sudden meeting of so many people and the insistent nudging of this over sized otter led Anvil's curiosity beyond its previous level and he just had to know who these beings were. He reached inside his mind towards the very core of his being. The essence that mingled with the gift of the suns light and began to draw on its power. His eyes gave a flicker of golden light and then he could see who, or what each of these beings were.

His findings just piqued his curiosity even more, for such a grouping of Anathema was something he had never seen before and it was clear their meeting was more than chance. But was it the push of destiny, or the manipulations of a greater power? Only time would tell, but one thing was for certain, they were stuck together for now.

"Allow me to appologise for my earlier rudeness. I am known as The Delicate Anvil, a pursuer of first age relics. Now I know everyone would love to chat but this is probably not the best place. From what I can see, no one here wants a run in with the immaculate order."

Ralasha
2012-11-30, 09:40 AM
In a quiet, almost absent voice, as her tail thumps the ground:
"I am Fenris, the magical talking sea otter."

Darth_Versity
2012-11-30, 09:50 AM
Having already discerned everyone's nature, Anvil looked down, completely undisturbed by the talking otter and replied "Hello Fenris"

Maugan Ra
2012-11-30, 10:15 AM
"And what gives you the impression that I would wish to be avoiding the Order?" the Captain responds with a raised eyebrow. "You are the one approaching me with a pressing need to vanish before they land, and I might very well wish to avoid entanglements with them, which would only be complicated by harboring fugitives."

She looks down at the otter. "Huh. Guess I've seen stranger things. Not many, though, I'll grant."

Ralasha
2012-11-30, 10:16 AM
"I like fish, carrying people, and I like to swim. If you need someone to blame, blame one of the gods. I don't know which one you should blame though." Her tail continues to thump the ground.

Felyndiira
2012-11-30, 10:38 AM
"I must thank you greatly for your assistance, captain. If I could at least reach Skullstone, I should be able to commission a ship back to the Blessed Isle. If there's anything I can do to assist you en-route, please tell me and I will try my best within the constraints of my ability to fulfill it.".

Prescia bowed gracefully to the captain, then turned to the other woman with a smile underneath her stoic mask. "I...um, I believe I have a few of my pieces on me at the moment," she replied, digging through her backpack and producing a weighted rope, a short sword, and a few doses of maiden tea. "Ah, here it is," she finally added, producing a small booklet of musical notes and songs. "It's just a copy, so please feel free to keep it if you wish. It's..."

Her voice trailed off quickly as she heard the last words from the other dynast. Appropriately, a cold shock shot through her spine at this. They were trying to secure transport from a commissiomed officer of Skullstone, not some random pirate in the western seas. To just callously reveal everything...and right in front of a Immaculate ship, too! Prescia decided to ignore the other man for the moment and make sure that she is not associated with him...at least, not until they could finally get away from that immaculate ship.

Maugan Ra
2012-11-30, 10:52 AM
"You might accept an invitation to the palace when we reach Skullstone, I suppose. My own knowledge of music is somewhat lacking, but the Prince is something of a patron of the Arts." she suggests to the Songstress. "That said, he does appreciate that people can be quite nervous about the prospect of meeting him, so there is no obligation attached."

Darth_Versity
2012-11-30, 10:59 AM
"My good captain, I can see from your... stance, shall we say, that entanglements with the order would not overly trouble you, but would make your life more difficult as after you have finished with them more will come. The same applies if you leave us and we are left to deal with them. Increased activity from the order is in no ones best interest." he looked around at the gathered crowd, confirming that none of them wanted to become the focus of the approaching ships attention.

"Now consider a simple proposal. Help us get out of here and just leave us at the next harbor. There's no need to bother taking us all the way to skullstone as it would cause you more inconvenience. In return, we will be extra hands to help change the tide of battle should the order notice your departure."

He looked down at the otter by his feet "Unless you can carry us all that is, Fenris." he said, jokingly.

Nimademe
2012-11-30, 11:09 AM
Prescia bowed gracefully to the captain, then turned to the other woman with a smile underneath her stoic mask. "I...um, I believe I have a few of my pieces on me at the moment," she replied, digging through her backpack and producing a weighted rope, a short sword, and a few doses of maiden tea. "Ah, here it is," she finally added, producing a small booklet of musical notes and songs. "It's just a copy, so please feel free to keep it if you wish. It's..."

Reading over the first page of the sheet music, Verdana copied the notes with her shamisen while adding her own unique spin to the song. Her skill with the shamisen added an extra depth to the music that couldn't have been there originally, tones of passion and soul filling the surrounding area without any message or mental influence in particular.

"You're quite skilled at writing music, Prescia! I'll accept your offer and keep this, consider hearing my tune an equivalent exchange."

Maugan Ra
2012-11-30, 11:10 AM
"Or I could leave you all here, save for Lady Nellens who I have reason to bring along, and just sail off." The officer returns flatly. "The order has no reason to pursue. Skullstone is not at war with the Realm, but nor are we under it's jurisdiction, and I really have no intention of returning to this island for a significant time."

She crosses her arms again. "So. If you want a ride off this island, regardless of destination, give me a reason why I should so inconvenience myself and my crew. And perhaps a reason why you're so concerned with the Order, and seem to believe I would be as well."

Ralasha
2012-11-30, 11:18 AM
"I might be able to carry all of you. However, from what I am hearing... I doubt they would hold much interest in an otter. Even a talking one."

Fenris lies down, placing her head on her paws. "I don't know where that is either. I kind of... just got carried to this island by the currents. I don't even know how to get back home."

"As to a reason to let me relax on your floating thing... I can supplement your food supplies with anything I can catch in the water. But, why should I want to go on your boat, aside from it probably heading towards the big land."

Darth_Versity
2012-11-30, 11:26 AM
"Ok, how about this. You've clearly only just arrived which means you have business here. If we can aid you in that business would we have then earned passage?"

Maugan Ra
2012-11-30, 11:49 AM
"My business here was a simple resupply before the return voyage." The captain considers something for a few moments. "You know what, I'll make it simple. You want a ride, my next stop is intended to be back at Skullstone. We go there, you pay for your transport with services rendered once we arrive." she nods at the two musicians. "Be it at the theatre Macabre, or by providing a bit of expert opinion regarding different First Age relics - we dredge a surprising amount up from under the sea every year. My word of honour that you won't be asked to do anything disreputable, or out of proportion with the costs of travel."

She pauses and looks at the Otter. "Fenris here, I'll flat out invite, because she's just plain interesting."

Nimademe
2012-11-30, 11:53 AM
Verdana laughed as she witnessed the negotiations taking place around her for the chance of getting onto the boat. Despite her complete lack of ability to defend herself, she seemed to care even less than the others about the Wyld Hunt. "I seem to be lacking in funds, do you mind if I come along regardless?" Deciding to check if she could take the trip along with them, she wondered what kind of interesting times lay ahead.

Darth_Versity
2012-11-30, 11:55 AM
"You find a few first age relics every year you say? Interesting. In that case, i don't think i could refuse." He offers his hand, unable to hide the grin quickly spreading across face.

Maugan Ra
2012-11-30, 12:03 PM
"Indeed. They tend to be found on the ocean floor. But undead don't need to breathe - ghosts find them, and direct zombie crews to recover them. And I don't mind you coming along, Songstress - just agree to provide a performance once we're there and everything will be fine."

With that, the captain turns and strides back to her ship, which is in the process of being hauled into the water. "So, get aboard, and look inconspicuous or something."

And I'm inclined towards pausing there to let our ST actually catch up...

Ralasha
2012-11-30, 12:28 PM
The otter, at this point, does something rather odd, and rushes the captain from behind, crouching low, and bounding up at the right time. The intended result being: the captain is now riding in the saddle.

(sneak attack!)

Rhyvurg
2012-11-30, 01:47 PM
As the group discusses matters, the Naval vessel docks. But at that moment, a Swift Midday Brilliance-class courier slips into the bay, a First Age vessel almost unheard of in this age. On the deck of the naval ship, the smaller vessel commands the attention of the crew, including a group of tonsured men dressed in various colors of jade armor. The courier docks, and a pair of brass legionaries marches down the boarding ramp, followed by a man that looks like he's spent most of his life in a library.

Nimademe
2012-11-30, 02:06 PM
"Greetings!" Verdana greets the people on the vessels with the loudest shout she can muster, her skill with using her voice allowing it to carry all the way to the boats. Despite the appearance of Jade and a wonderful ship that she had never seen anything like, she didn't flinch away from the docks or even the general area. There was no reason to fear them after all, even with the party surrounding her on an island she wasn't entirely familiar with.

Rhyvurg
2012-11-30, 02:20 PM
"You're all here, wonderful! I was worried I might have to wait and I really shouldn't leave my work for to long, so many things to do. You are... Verdana, correct? You're taller than I expected. That's something I should write down, it's the little details that always trip you up." He pulls a small notebook out of his pocket.

Nimademe
2012-11-30, 02:28 PM
"Verdana of the Infinite Waves, you'd be correct." She watches him fumble with his notebook, tossing a smile his way as he tried to take notes. "I wonder what your expectations of me were, perhaps I'm not up to your standards? Jokes aside, what'd your name be?" She laughed softly at her own joke, her appearance ethereal and carefree.

Rhyvurg
2012-11-30, 02:39 PM
"...infinite...waves... Got it. Oh, I forgot my name a long time ago, but the people on my island call me Nightforge, since I'm always working. There's just so much to do, you know?"

Nimademe
2012-11-30, 02:44 PM
"Well met, Nightforge!" This man didn't seem hostile at any rate, even if the armaments brought alongside him could easily annihilate most cities. "Down to business then! Though we don't have any arrangement, it seems you've already got something in mind?" Verdana delved straight to the root of the matter, immediately adapting to the circumstances set in place around her.

Rhyvurg
2012-11-30, 02:47 PM
"Well of course I do, it's time to leave! I did not arrange for a Wyld Hunt ship to be here just for you all to decide to stay anyway!"

Nimademe
2012-11-30, 02:54 PM
"It'd be helpful if you explained where we're going and what we'll be doing there." With a strum of her shamisen she added some extra tone to her voice, making it even more alluring than it'd be normally. A cough interrupted the middle of her speech though, making her voice lose the flow it normally had and rendering it at the lower level of an esteemed politician. She wondered if the difference in their presences would allow her to overcome the deficiency, waiting for the response from Nightforge.

Darth_Versity
2012-11-30, 02:57 PM
Completely entranced by the ship, Anvil missed the start of the conversation. He suddenly remembered himself at the mention of a forge, but he was disappointed to find it was a name and not what he was looking for.

"It seems fate was not the cause of our gathering after all, but I wonder if this is the master or another puppet. Either way, I'll follow for now."

Ralasha
2012-11-30, 03:09 PM
The otter slaps Anvil with her tail. "You talk too much, and say unnecessary things. I thought you not a fool, but then you opened your mouth."

Darth_Versity
2012-11-30, 04:14 PM
"Fenris, your acting very familiar with me, and for some reason I feel like I know you... sort of. Anvil's face twists into confusion "I know that sounds weird, but I can't explain it any other way."

Ralasha
2012-11-30, 04:51 PM
"Everything reincarnates. Chances are good we knew each other at one point or another."

Felyndiira
2012-11-30, 05:55 PM
Prescia was already boarding the Skullstone captain's ship when the first age cruiser arrived. She had silently wished that the captain would depart immediately before the ship could arrive, although the arrival of the other ship was, if nothing else, curious in this day and age. The girl had recognized its design - the Swift Midday Brilliance, one of the most common ships from her predecessor's Era. What was a first-age warship doing here, of all places, and accompanied by an Immaculate ship to boot? Instinctively, the girl began to scan the entirety of the cruiser, looking for the mounting points of the implosion bows and ballistae that usually accompanied these vehicles. It was important not only to look for their location but also whether they still existed; that singular fact was what separates a commonplace second-age salvage job from a true, unblemished first-age curio.

Whatever the results of her investigation, her attention was turned towards the man that strolled so casually from the vehicle as if enacting a casual scroll in a familiar manse. "Did he actually know us?" she asked herself, carefully keeping her voice low so that the man, at the very least, could not hear this inquiry. How did he even know about this group - no, it was not possible for anyone to just "know" that she was a chosen of the sun. Perhaps she was jsut reading too much into the man's apparent friendliness, but it seemed almost like he had arranged for this entire meeting to happen. Why invite a poor non-exalted dynast singer, then, unless if he had some knowledge of her condition? It's a fact that she's been hiding from the world for years, and if the secret was really discovered...

Wait, how much did he really know about them? Does he even know about the mirror of Priscilla, and if so, to what end does he really seek by harvesting such knowledge of five perfect strangers? Her eyes scanned his figure from top to bottom, trying to gleam at any detail that could give her even a speck of information about the scholar's origins. On her part, she did not yet attempt to initiate interactions with the man. If the captain would allow it, she would much rather go with her to Skullstone than place her hands at this...this enigma.

Ralasha
2012-11-30, 06:06 PM
Fenris boards the ship, wondering why such a thing would be worth attention. There are many strange things buries beneath the ice of the north. She paid it little mind.

Rhyvurg
2012-11-30, 07:20 PM
"It'd be helpful if you explained where we're going and what we'll be doing there." With a strum of her shamisen she added some extra tone to her voice, making it even more alluring than it'd be normally. A cough interrupted the middle of her speech though, making her voice lose the flow it normally had and rendering it at the lower level of an esteemed politician. She wondered if the difference in their presences would allow her to overcome the deficiency, waiting for the response from Nightforge.

"I don't want to say it twice so if everyone could come on board please? Thank you, thank you...where's the lady from Skullstone?"

Darth_Versity
2012-12-01, 05:21 AM
Anvil studied the newcomer with his enhanced vision, looking for any clue as to his nature, while boarding the ship. It seemed they would be going together regardless of his findings. On top of that the temptation to get a look at the vessel in detail was to tempting.

Maugan Ra
2012-12-01, 05:22 AM
"That would be me." The captain responds. "And since I have business elsewhere, namely back home, perhaps you might explain exactly why I should be going with you? Or, for that matter, who you are?"

Rhyvurg
2012-12-01, 05:50 AM
"Because those Imperial soldiers are not mine. I arranged for them to be here to give you all a reason to want to leave. If you think your little boat can outrun them by all means try. I only ask to borrow you for a day or so, you can collect your men afterwards."

Maugan Ra
2012-12-01, 06:04 AM
The Captain's eyes narrow as she studies the scene. A first age warship, a pair of automatons, a full Realm vessel that was apparently here with hostile intent... she turned back to the nearest member of her crew.

"It would appear that I am being kidnapped." she tells the mortal dryly. "Return to Skullstone with all available speed. Report all you have seen here to the Prince, and then pass on my assurances that I will either find a way to return, or suffer an unfortunate demise for which I apologise in advance. He will know how to contact me."

That done, she turns and walks over to the strange new arrival, boarding the ship calmly. "You are taking something of a chance here. I am interested to see what is quite so important that such a thing would be justified."

Felyndiira
2012-12-01, 06:42 AM
The captain's "kidnapping" was a bit of a surprise...and, perhaps, a confirmation to her suspicions that the man, somehow, knew more than he was supposed to. Prescia presumed that the reason that the captain was singled out - and not her crew or equipment - was due to her own extraordinary circumstances. Still, it wasn't an indication that the man knew everything about these people; Skullstone was quite infamous for producing and utilizing 'anathema' commanders, so it's not likely that the captain would see much reason to hide her exaltation, unlike a certain dynastic girl.

The captain's ship, however, was no longer the safest option. However trained they may be, a small scout ship without a powerful captain at its head is like fodder to the Lintha invaders. Perhaps she would still rather go with them to an assured destination rather than place herself in the hands of such a dangerous man, although if she was somehow targeted as well...

"So, what exactly is going on?" she asks loudly, as if intentionally trying to draw attention to the man that had suddenly made his presence known on this island. It may have been possible for her to sneak aboard the captain's ship, although the man has already demonstrated...a lack of conscience, if nothing else, with that display of using the immaculate order. If he really was looking for her as well, it would not be too surprising if he decided to just shoot down the captain's ship.

No harm done either way if he was not.

Rhyvurg
2012-12-01, 06:44 AM
"North! At least for a few hours. Then we'll veer somewhat to the east."

Felyndiira
2012-12-01, 07:47 AM
"Argh," the dynastic girl grunted - mainly to herself, but with enough force that the other mortals on the captain's ship, at the very least, could hear her. As if making sure that she would not look back on - or regret - her decision, she quickly dashed to the first-age cruiser and boarded the ship before the man - or his brass legionaries - could even respond. Perhaps this would be a momentary poor choice on her part, but she had decided that it was, at the very least, safer to gamble the seas with the Skullstone captain than the rest of her mortal - and undead - crew.

She was panting a bit by the time she reached the ship; her mask became like a leaf in the wind as it fell from her face, but she did not even make an attempt to stop or backtrack just to retrieve it. "Captain," she spoke in-between heavy pants and other indications of her lack of athletic endurance. "I do not know what this man is planning, but you have promised that you would take me to Skullstone and I to deliver my arts to the Silver Prince. Until those promises are fulfilled, I will remain by your side and assist you, as long as it does not go against my nature as a child of House Nellens."

"For instance," her voice dropped to that of a whisper, ensuring that what she spoke of would only reach the captain's ears. "The Swift Midday Brilliance warship that we are currently on can be controlled in its entirety by the pilot station. There's a limit to how long one can operate the station in a given day, although anyone capable of using essence - which, in the realms, are the chosen of the dragons - can activate it and take full control the ship's steering. As one with a hobby for studying history and lore, I've seen many of these back in the Empress's realms, and although they are usually missing a cannon or two, the operating mechanism is the same. Though...it's really by chance that I know all of this."

With her mask no longer obscuring her countenance, she shot the captain a rather coy smile. "It would also be a much greater burden to your crew to brave the seas with a civilian in tow, and I do not want to add that to their troubles of reaching Skullstone quickly and delivering your message." she added, this time in a much louder voice audible by everyone else aboard the warship.

Maugan Ra
2012-12-01, 07:59 AM
"I am... grateful for your consideration. One way or another, I will not abandon that promise."

Her own voice lowers to be heard only by Prescia. "And for the information, an exchange... I am Gift of Welcome Oblivion, Deathknight."

That said, she takes half a step away and turns, studying the ship around them with a distant sort of curiousity... and perhaps a touch of avarice.

Nimademe
2012-12-01, 09:01 AM
Following behind the Captain and boarding the ship without much drama, Verdana decided to simply go along with the flow of the waves for now. Perhaps they'd take her somewhere more interesting than here, the time for disrupting the flow would show itself soon enough.

Darth_Versity
2012-12-01, 04:02 PM
Anvil scanned the deck, admiring its sleek design and first age equipment. Like a kid in a candy shop he pulls out a notebook and begins writing his finds about the flow of essence within each part.

Maugan Ra
2012-12-01, 04:24 PM
A calculating look enter's Gift's eye as she looks over at Anvil. She paces over to join him, glancing at the note book momentarily.

"Hmm. You really do have an eye for such things - a rare and valuable skill." she compliments. "Does any artifact hold your interest, or do you have a field of specialisation?"

Darth_Versity
2012-12-01, 04:39 PM
A calculating look enter's Gift's eye as she looks over at Anvil. She paces over to join him, glancing at the note book momentarily.

"Hmm. You really do have an eye for such things - a rare and valuable skill." she compliments. "Does any artifact hold your interest, or do you have a field of specialisation?"

Barely looking up from his notes, Anvil replies in a flat tone "While I have a love of the design and creation of all magical items, the larger and more complicated designs of the first age are my true love."

He looked up then, smiling in spite of their current predicament "Things such as Royal Warstriders and ships like this are where I base my biggest interest. Designs of such complexity and dedication that currently cannot be copied. I hope to one day restore these things to the world and make everyones lives easier"

"What about you captain? What are your particular expertise, other than sailing of course?"

Maugan Ra
2012-12-01, 05:08 PM
She smiles slightly. "I'm not actually much of a sailor. One of the most important qualities in a commander is the ability to delegate tasks to those who are good at them. My personal skill set is primarily the application of violence - there are monsters out there beyond imagination, and someone has to kill them."

She tilts her head. "Still, that is a noble goal. Tell me, when this business with... Nightforge is over, would you like a job? You said it yourself, the wonders of the First Age cannot presently be copied. The knowledge on how to do so is lost... from the living, at least. But the dead remember, and they care a great deal about their descendants. The only problem is that their very natures prevent them from actively rebuilding the world to reach it's old glories again. They need a living representative, someone to take their knowledge and with it, reshape the world."

The Captain smiles. "Purely as an example, in Stygia, capital of the Underworld, there is the great Calendar of Setesh. It is a work of magical and technological engineering that quite literally moves the heavens across the sky and gives day and night to the Underworld. Setesh himself still exists, as he has from the First Age. What do you think you could do with access to his knowledge?"

Darth_Versity
2012-12-01, 05:51 PM
She smiles slightly. "I'm not actually much of a sailor. One of the most important qualities in a commander is the ability to delegate tasks to those who are good at them. My personal skill set is primarily the application of violence - there are monsters out there beyond imagination, and someone has to kill them."

She tilts her head. "Still, that is a noble goal. Tell me, when this business with... Nightforge is over, would you like a job? You said it yourself, the wonders of the First Age cannot presently be copied. The knowledge on how to do so is lost... from the living, at least. But the dead remember, and they care a great deal about their descendants. The only problem is that their very natures prevent them from actively rebuilding the world to reach it's old glories again. They need a living representative, someone to take their knowledge and with it, reshape the world."

The Captain smiles. "Purely as an example, in Stygia, capital of the Underworld, there is the great Calendar of Setesh. It is a work of magical and technological engineering that quite literally moves the heavens across the sky and gives day and night to the Underworld. Setesh himself still exists, as he has from the First Age. What do you think you could do with access to his knowledge?"

The smile quickly turned to a massive grin as the possibilities ran through his mind. Imagine, the knowledge of the first age, and it was within his grasp. There was danger, sure, but the pay would be more than worth it.

"Very well captain. If you can get me access to the knowledge, I can put it do use." he offered his hand in a gesture of faith "My real name is Ledaal Fane. I hope we can bring the past back together captain."

Rhyvurg
2012-12-01, 06:02 PM
The ship seems to be in perfect repair, with the mounts for First Age weaponry present but empty. The metal is polished, the deck scrubbed. Once everyone is aboard the ramp retracts and Nightforge takes the helm. The Naval ship watches them intently, but they are not nearly fast or agile enough in the water to turn and give chase. The courier picks up speed, and a shimmering essence field keeps the deck clear of spray as it cuts through the waves.

"Well, now that we're away we can talk. I'm sorry to tell you all this, but you were not on that island by chance, I summoned you there. I am a sorcerer of no meager talent, and though my magic I forced a glimpse of the Loom of Fate, in fabled Yu Shan. I saw what could be, what must be, and what the keepers of the Loom were trying to force into the future. But most of all, I saw a chance. A series of events that will avert an apocalypse. And not the kind the Neverborn want to bring to pass, a Hellscape that will cover all of the world. A chance to sieze real power and save this world from the threats against it."

Maugan Ra
2012-12-01, 06:11 PM
Gift smiles widely and takes the offered hand. She seems about to speak when their mysterious collector starts explaining.

When he's done, the woman leans back against the rail of the ship and raises an eyebrow, her arms crossed. "And perhaps you might explain exactly how it is you found me?" she asks calmly. Her dark eyes pass over the rest of their motley group, and she seems to come to a decision.

On her forehead, a harsh and jagged wound appears, shaped disturbingly like a sun, stained red with her blood. "Introductions are in order, I suppose, proper ones. I don't have a name as such, but my title is Gift of Welcome Oblivion. I believe the term most commonly used to describe my kind is 'Deathknight', or 'Anathema' if we're being poetic. And I have it on exceptionally good authority that I don't show up on the Loom of Fate."

Darth_Versity
2012-12-01, 06:29 PM
His smile fades slightly at the sudden revelation by Gift, but gives a slight sigh and reveals his own marking. A golden light shines upon his forehead in the shape of a circle with the top half filled in.

"I guess this puts us all in an odd position then Forge. You claim to have seen a great catastrophe, but what is it exactly that you saw, and how do we factor into stopping it."

He looks around at the mismatched group. A slight laugh escaping his lips. "And where exactly are we going?"

Maugan Ra
2012-12-01, 06:39 PM
"Twilight caste, huh? Makes sense, albeit based on what little I know of you. The offer stands - even the best artificer can benefit from a patron, and you won't need to hide what you are." she looks back at Nightforge. "I second the question, though. It must be an unusual doom indeed, that the best solution you can find is a ragtag bunch of individuals in the back-end of nowhere. Why not the Sidereals, or the Dragon-Blooded?"

Just assuming it's not unreasonable that Gift knows what Sidereals are, based on the fact that the Green Lady also works for the Silver Prince.

Rhyvurg
2012-12-01, 11:44 PM
Gift smiles widely and takes the offered hand. She seems about to speak when their mysterious collector starts explaining.

When he's done, the woman leans back against the rail of the ship and raises an eyebrow, her arms crossed. "And perhaps you might explain exactly how it is you found me?" she asks calmly. Her dark eyes pass over the rest of their motley group, and she seems to come to a decision.

On her forehead, a harsh and jagged wound appears, shaped disturbingly like a sun, stained red with her blood. "Introductions are in order, I suppose, proper ones. I don't have a name as such, but my title is Gift of Welcome Oblivion. I believe the term most commonly used to describe my kind is 'Deathknight', or 'Anathema' if we're being poetic. And I have it on exceptionally good authority that I don't show up on the Loom of Fate."

He laughs. "Yes, there are so many of you silly people that think you're free of the Loom. You may not have your own threads, Deathknight, but everything around you does. I followed that trail, the imprint you left on the world. Being outside of fate is not the blanket immunity you think it to be."

Nimademe
2012-12-02, 12:18 AM
"A grand adventure to be sure." Verdana strummed her shamisen as the sea breeze flew past them. "I'll have to second Anvil's first question! Though in less vague terms, what do you expect us to do?"

"Since you claimed it would only take one or two days, I'm considering the magnitude of the actions we must perform compared to what you described."

Rhyvurg
2012-12-02, 01:31 AM
"To put it simply, we will be delving into ancient secrets, discovering lost technology and conquering the Scarlet Empire to prevent an invasion of demons from destroying the world as we know it."

Nimademe
2012-12-02, 01:54 AM
"Conquering... the Scarlet Empire." Verdana repeated these words and chewed on them for a few moments, her eyes narrowing slightly as she maintained eye contact with Nightforge. "You aren't afraid of making high bids! I don't think we can afford that with our budget though." She laughed for a few moments, before strumming her shamisen and intensifying her gaze.

"You have something in mind then? Explain yourself."

Maugan Ra
2012-12-02, 07:54 AM
Gift blinks, looking momentarily completely stunned. "The Scarlet Empire." she says flatly. "There are, quite literally, Deathlords with plans less grandiose than that. I've met some of them."

"Really, though, a specific answer. What, precisely, is it that you think we could find that would be so world changing, and where is it? Enough with the vague, over-dramatic responses, or I go to plan B, which is tossing your corpse over the side and sailing back to Skullstone. You've already very nearly brought a Wyld Hunt down on my head, and threatened my crew in order to get me to come along, so I am not feeling the best disposed towards you right now."

Nimademe
2012-12-02, 11:32 AM
"How direct, Captain! I can appreciate that attitude, I wouldn't mind if I followed you on an expedition." Verdana momentarily adopted a light and flirty tone, before reverting to a serious tone of voice with a strum of her shamisen. "We don't need to kill him immediately if he doesn't explain himself, I could crush his will with a song to fish away the information before you stab him." She smiled at both Nightforge and Gift, the party feeling an odd sense of danger from the Infinite Waves that was normally hidden away.

"I wouldn't want it to come to that though! So if you don't mind dear, you can shove your halfassed statements where the sun doesn't shine and kindly tell us everything."

Felyndiira
2012-12-02, 12:11 PM
Prescia was trying her hardest to make her presence vanish as the two 'factions' on the ship began to confront each other. The bookish man had spoken of the Loom of Fate, and implied a mastery of it that was beyond what a normal mortal - or even a chosen of the dragons - would be allowed, regardless of whether sorcery was present. A sidereal, maybe, or some other force at work that is about the equivalent in power? As they are more-or-less the victors of the first age, she would rather not draw his attentions to herself. Besides, a common dynast girl like her - exaltation included - was not supposed to know of the loom; if the man did happen to be a sidereal, it would not really be prudent to just come forth and announce her exaltation - and most likely her unusual knowledge - to everyone aboard this ship.

The captain's caste symbol was interesting, though. It was of the shape of a shining sun - the caste mark reminiscent of the dawn caste, the generals and war-kings of the golden age - although it was tainted distinctly black with the reminiscent traces of blood dripping from within. 'Gift of Welcome Oblivion', she had called herself, and a being known as a deathknight. That was not a concept known even by the scholars of the first age. She had knowl that the Silver Prince was often fond of utilizing unusual individuals - the least of which the undead and ghosts that reside within - although this...

No, her chance to ask of the captain's condition may arrive later. Right now, the argument between the two and the sidereal was at the forefront of this scene, and she was content to remain in the background and ensure that the potential sidereal does not draw attention to her. She would interfere perhaps only if the resolution was heavily not in the captain's favor.

Darth_Versity
2012-12-02, 01:44 PM
Anvil stepped quickly between the two parties, he was not fond of violence, especially the sort that resulted in death.

"Now now. I'm sure this isn't necessary, we can all come to an agreement here. I'm sure of it."

He then focused his gaze on Nightforge "However, I am still a dynast of the realms and I have no desire to destroy my home on the words of a stranger, even if I'm no longer welcome there."

He looked round at Prescia to confirm his suspicions "And I doubt in the only one who feels that way."

Nimademe
2012-12-02, 02:10 PM
"Adults are talking, Anvil." Verdana glared at Anvil momentarily, in disbelief that he was dense enough not to understand the flow of the situation. "Not a hair on his head will be harmed if he explains himself! That is the sole arrangement we can reach, your distraction only provides him a chance to slip away."

"Be seated and keep quiet like a good boy, and you'll find that everything will be resolved soon enough." A chord from her instrument punctuated the end of her sentence, giving it a sense of finality that was difficult to argue against.

Felyndiira
2012-12-02, 04:25 PM
The girl did not reaffirm Anvil's suspicions; instead, she only gave him a light shrug and a disinterested gaze, as if to say 'please don't get me involved in this argument'. It was only when the shamisen player rebuked him that she decided to take action; with a sudden jolt, she stood from where she was originally seated near the edge of the ship, purposefully allowing her hood to fall to reveal her face. With at least two exalts here, she didn't really need to fear the storm mothers enough to hide her face any longer.

Instead, she subtly tried to drag Anvil towards one of the mounts for what she knew to be a first-age implosion crossbow. "Hey, come with me, Anvil. I'll show you something cool about this ship," she whispered to him with a light smirk; if the boy was to resist, she would have no chance to force him with her meager strength, so she tried instead to use her words and her appearance to coax the other dynast boy away from the argument.

Rhyvurg
2012-12-02, 10:39 PM
Nightforge sighs. "I understand your hostility, I really do. But when Solar Circle sorcery pierces the Dome of the Perfect Lotus, divines a possible future even the Sixth Maiden is blind to, and twists the fates of five Exalted to be in one place at a specific time, I assure you the person capable of such a feat has nothing to fear from one rookie Deathknight. Nothing at all. I was chosen by the Sun seven centuries ago, you think I am not prepared for a little scuffle? I offer you the chance to retrieve the Five Metal Shrike, a Directional Titan, to bring the most ancient and powerful forces in Creation into your corner and sieze control of the most powerful political entity in the world, and you pause to give a second thought to something as paltry as a Deathlord?

"I know this is a lot to take in, but if we do not act, now, the world is doomed. And the plans of your Deathlords and their Neverborn will never come to pass. Today you save Creation so you have even a chance to destroy it yourself later. We are going to my island where I will disembark and leave this ship with you so you may go to An Teng and deliver a message to the Golden Lord before you depart to find the Shrike. After that I can only offer vague guidelines, but with a little luck things will fall into place. Fate is on your side in this, you just have to show a little trust."

Nimademe
2012-12-03, 01:48 AM
[Music: Endless Tides] (www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=14315293&postcount=77)

"Finally! You've at least made the effort of crafting a decent lie!" Verdana couldn't believe even a word of what he spoke, and Nightforge even had the gall to insult the patrons of the Captain repeatedly. "Have you considered for even a moment that none of us in this boat with the possible exception even want the world? Why do you persist in tempting us with promises of overwhelming power regardless? If our actions are truly to be for the greater good, why appeal to the off chance that we'd possess an endless greed?"

Using her words and song to pick holes in his argument, Verdana stabbed the story with her razor tongue until it bled out. "Your argument utterly fails to convince anyone towards your goals, only your shows of status and power allow you even a /modicum/ of credibility." The party hears an angry strum of the shamisen, showing the fury of the Infinite Waves despite her otherwise calm look.

"To add onto that, you explain the goal of conquering the Empire with the requisite goal of obtaining the Five Metal Shrike of all things? What would reassure us are the small details that pertain to us /right now/, not impossible and mythical goals of legend that hundreds of others far stronger and more capable than us have utterly failed at!"

"Despite apparently needing us as heroes, you treat us as children and pawns! With one broad and stupidly worded statement, you completely invalidate what appear to be the patrons of the Captain here! Every time you open your mouth gives us even less reasons to listen to you and follow the path you've so kindly set out for us."

"Even with all your folly and arrogance, I'm going to buy into your lie and see where this path leads. And before you open your mouth again and force me to change my mind and the minds of the party with your idiocy, I'm doing it because I think it'll be a good story! You have the audacity and shamelessness to spout these enormous falsehoods without flinching! And for that alone I can allow a small amount of respect, though I refuse to believe your sincerity unless you fulfill one condition."

"Get on your knees and beg us to help you."

Darth_Versity
2012-12-03, 03:43 AM
Instead, she subtly tried to drag Anvil towards one of the mounts for what she knew to be a first-age implosion crossbow. "Hey, come with me, Anvil. I'll show you something cool about this ship," she whispered to him with a light smirk; if the boy was to resist, she would have no chance to force him with her meager strength, so she tried instead to use her words and her appearance to coax the other dynast boy away from the argument.

Lulled by Verdana's music, Anvil followed the insistant pulling by Prescia, unable to resist. Though a moment later the music switches to an angry tone and the effect wears off. He looks around, momentarily confused, and then turns to his fellow dynast. In her eyes he can see the formation of a plan.

"What do you have in mind?" he asks, hoping it would cure the current situation. But then a creeping thought came back to him as the cloudyness of his mind dissapeared.

"Wait. Did he just say chosen by the sun seven centuries ago?"

Maugan Ra
2012-12-03, 03:55 AM
Gift blinks a few times. "Seven centuries ago. You're claiming to be an elder Solar? One with, apparently, knowledge on where to find a directional titan. Even assuming that's more than just immensely creative horse****..."

She pauses, and gathers her thoughts. "Even assuming that much, yes, I'm giving serious consideration to how this will interact with the wills and plans of a 'paltry' Deathlord. Because even if you are seven centuries old, and have all the power that implies, they are still stronger than you. That's what being a Deathlord means. And unless you have something in the way of proof, I'm going to do the sensible thing and not chose to follow the ideas of an unknown outsider over the directions of the people who..."

She hesitates for a few moments, and then sighs. "I am not dedicated to their goal. I do not want to plunge all of creation screaming into the Void. But nor am I all that inclined towards setting myself in opposition to the people who created the Great Contagion. So, something in the way of proof of your claims, please, and maybe an explanation of why the hell you haven't claimed this apparent Titan either."

Rhyvurg
2012-12-03, 04:02 AM
"Which is why I am taking you to my workshop, so you may see proof of what I have to say. But if you require some now, I can oblige." One of the brass soldiers goes belowdecks and brings an orichalcum short daiklave. "Now watch carefully children, this is an expensive demonstration." He raises his hand and strikes the flat of the blade, and with an ear-splitting bang, it breaks in half. "Any more doubts as to what I am?"

Maugan Ra
2012-12-03, 04:11 AM
"That proves nothing except that you can break a Daiklaive. Difficult, but there are ways to do that which don't require you to be seven centuries old. Still, by all means, let's see this 'workshop' of yours."

Nimademe
2012-12-03, 08:53 AM
[Music: Closing Notes] (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0p_yo_VGOSw)

"I was a fool to expect any humility or concession from you." Strumming her shamisen one last time with a chord of farewell, Verdana stood on the railing of the ship and prepared to jump. "If you believe in the fate you foresaw and your own lies, then it should be able to persist without my presence! I will make my own waves elsewhere, enjoy your story whatever the result may be."

She placed the shamisen on her shoulder and pointed at Gift of Welcome Oblivion for a moment, giving her a small wink followed by a laugh. "Look me up sometime! I meant what I said about enjoying an adventure with you, I'm sure that we'll meet again in the future." Backflipping off the railing of the boat and into the sea, Verdana transformed into a shark lined by silver tattoos in midair.

And soon enough, she was gone from sight.

Felyndiira
2012-12-03, 09:26 AM
"Hey, pay a bit more attention, will you? See..."

Even as she spoke, Prescia was paying halfhearted attention to the exchange between the...death knight captain and the man that claimed himself to be a seven centuries old chosen of the sun. She described the holes within the ship's frame to the twilight boy, explaining how they were compartments for terrible first age weapons called the 'implosion bow' that could fire terrible beams of light. "The realm fleet has recovered some of these ships with one or two weapons intact," she explained, a bit thankful that he was a touch too innocent to question why a dynast girl like her is willing to actually speak to an anathema like him.

It was only with Verdana's sudden departure that she finally turned her full attention to the scene, sighing faintly at the sudden scene. "It could be fun to see the inside of a '700 year old' first age workshop, admittedly, assuming it isn't all a ruse in the end."

"Just for curio's sake, however," she declared to the scholarly man, "you won't mind a silly question from a history-loving daughter of House Nellens, will you? I was just quite curious about this workshop. Can you at least tell us it's name?"

She spoke all of this with a faint smile and an expression of almost child-like curiosity. Behind her, an almost faint flicker of water seemed to encircle her frame for just a second before disappearing into the air, the faint reminiscence of her 'phantom-conjuring performance' made to imitate a brief flair of a dragon blooded of water.

Ralasha
2012-12-03, 12:13 PM
As opposed to Verdana, or the others, this lunar has no interest in what the old man has to say, nor in their arguments. She has been exploring the ship.

Darth_Versity
2012-12-04, 06:53 AM
Anvil watched as the flow of essence moved from the man and into the blade. How it sepperated the essence of the weapon and created a fault in it design. And then it pounced on that fault to shatter the blade. It all happened so quickly and yet seemed to last forever.

"Very well." He replied, in momentary stunned silence. "You have my attention. I will come with you to see this doom you foretell."

Ralasha
2012-12-04, 06:18 PM
"Wasteful. Any cub can destroy, true gifts and proofs of age and wisdom lie in acts of creation. Are you purely destructive? A little old to act infantile, aren't you? A little old to act like a white furred cub, no?"

Darth_Versity
2012-12-05, 09:51 AM
Tired of the conversation and wishing to come up with a plan if this turned out to be some elaborate trap, Anvil decided to go explore the ship. He looked at Prescia as he turned away.

"Lady Nellens, would you care to accompany me on a walk around the lower deck?"

Ralasha
2012-12-05, 01:24 PM
"I think he's in heat."

Rhyvurg
2012-12-05, 01:56 PM
He gapes, dumbfounded. "What? Do you have any idea how hard that was?"

Maugan Ra
2012-12-05, 02:27 PM
"I know exactly how hard breaking artifacts can be. But doing so merely proves that you can break an artifact, nothing more or less." Gift says calmly. "It provides no proof of any of your other claims, nor does it answer any of our questions. If you really are an Elder Solar, and if you really do possess information on how to find a directional Titan, perhaps one of the single greatest weapons ever created, then why have you not claimed it yourself? Why reveal such knowledge to us?"

She crosses her arms and stares flatly at Nightforge. "Did you imagine we'd fall quickly in line, like good little puppets? That we'd jump into action at your merest word? Then you are a deluded fool with an overblown estimation of his own grandeur and importance. Words are not proof, and as yet none of us have even the slightest reason beyond vague curiousity to work with you on this. In fact, taking everything you've said and done into account, I honestly have more incentive to try and murder you than go haring off on a vaguely defined mission in pursuit of half a dozen impossible goals on the strength of your word alone."

Darth_Versity
2012-12-05, 02:28 PM
"Well I'm willing to go along with you for now just for the chance to see this factory cathedral. But I have not agreed to anything yet." he shrugged and turned away. "And since you just destroyed an item which I would consider very important, I will walk away and suppress the urge to throttle you."

(edit: changed it to not overlap Maugan Ra's post)

Felyndiira
2012-12-05, 07:17 PM
"Lady Nellens, would you care to accompany me on a walk around the lower deck?"

"I wouldn't really mind," she smiled. There was not much more that could come out of the conversation, and it was honestly better to let the captain sort out which path she wants to take. Prescia was a bit curious, though; perhaps a '700-year old solar' would not be foolish enough to just gather a bunch of exalts (and she was quite sure that most of the people on this ship are chosen at this point of time) on a ship and expect them to buy into extravagant fantasies, but then again, some of the first age ones were quite deluded themselves; a certain 'Desus', for instance, however much her predecessor loved acting the part of a fangirl over him.

Ralasha
2012-12-05, 07:29 PM
"I don't care how difficult it was. It was an item someone put great care into. I wouldn't believe you if you said you had made it, since it would be extremely unlikely that you would break something you had made. Therefor, show me something that will impress me. You are... what, an Elder Solar? Good, make something. Do something not equivalent to a child breaking something. I am not impressed by childish bravado."

Rhyvurg
2012-12-05, 10:04 PM
"I know someone put a lot of care into it! I made it! I would have loved to bring the Oraculus along to just show you what I saw, but to fit that on the boat I would have had to take out the sauna and then everybody suffers."

Ralasha
2012-12-05, 10:13 PM
"Sorry, I prefer nice cool water. The kind that would turn you blue skinned."

Darth_Versity
2012-12-06, 05:08 AM
"I know someone put a lot of care into it! I made it! I would have loved to bring the Oraculus along to just show you what I saw, but to fit that on the boat I would have had to take out the sauna and then everybody suffers."

"There's a sauna? How about hot showers? I haven't had a good hot shower since I left the imperial city."

He then gave an inquisitive look to the broken blade on the floor. "And do you mind if I have that?"

Rhyvurg
2012-12-06, 07:04 PM
"That? Take it, I have more. One of the benefits to owning an island with a volcano and a gold mine. Showers are below deck."

Darth_Versity
2012-12-07, 02:12 AM
He reached down and gathered the broken pieces, placing them in his satchel. He then turned and began to walk off.

"Well Lady Nellens, how about that look around?"

Maugan Ra
2012-12-07, 07:21 AM
Island with a volcano, huh... Can't be too many of those around. The Silver Prince is going to want this fool dealt with at some point, so I guess for now I play along and see about getting back to Skullstone.

Then, if the information bears out... well. Who can say no to the idea of weapons like that?

For her part, Gift just looks away and stands on the deck of the ship, staring out to see with an annoyed expression on her face. Waiting for their arrival.

Felyndiira
2012-12-07, 08:18 AM
"Yessir," she jovially addressed, giving Anvil a lighthearted military salute before proceeding behind him.

Rhyvurg
2012-12-07, 08:38 PM
Belowdecks has been extensively customized, with sleeping quarters, the aforementioned sauna, and a kitchen. But there's little time to explore, within the hour the smoke from the volcano is visible on the horizon. "Home sweet home! The perimeter defenses will recognize the ship and let us pass, then it's to the lab!"

Darth_Versity
2012-12-08, 05:43 PM
Looking out over the rails, Anvil took in the view of the approaching island. "Well, thats odd. It felt like we were on the ship for days, but it was only a few hours!"

He looked around towards Forge. "So how exactly did you come by this island and no one else did?"

Rhyvurg
2012-12-08, 07:07 PM
"No one...son, do you know how many Lintha I had to kick off that island? I keep it protected with siaka, a well-armed citizenry, and rearranging the reefs every few months." They get closer, the village on the coast coming into view as the ship takes a roundabout course through the shallows. they arrive at a dock where a group of fishermen wave a greeting, but do not speak. "Ah, home sweet home. Come along children, we have much to discuss." Their destination is obvious, set on a hill above the village is a tower made of glass in the shape of a twisting column of blue fire. It's clearly a manse of some kind.

Maugan Ra
2012-12-08, 07:18 PM
Gift keeps her expression neutral as she looks over the island, making mental notes of the various locations and dispositions of everything that she can see. In the back of her mind, she can hear the Neverborn whispering their constant stream of hateful blasphemies.

A well armed citizenry, and defenses against seaborne assault via underwater reefs... Not too shabby. Against a mundane force, it would probably work as well. Let's see... zombies can tear the reefs apart piece by piece, allowing an attack force to land as they march up the beach. A few war ghosts could scout out the layout of the reefs, and guide in an attack force.

And I can always take an attack force through the underworld, and translate them across into Creation in order to completely bypass the defenses. So can the Silver Prince... You'll regret your flippant tone, Nightforge. Oh yes.

She says nothing, merely following the arrogant Solar up to the Manse, studying it with an appreciative eye.

Darth_Versity
2012-12-10, 02:34 PM
"Yes, Lintha pirates is one thing, but how has no other exalted found this place. Surely the empire have records of a factory cathedral and would have come looking."

He looks towards the fast approaching island. A sense of anticipation filling him. He hoped this factory was everything he imagined.

Rhyvurg
2012-12-10, 05:04 PM
"I really couldn't say what the Empire thinks is here, so far they haven't bothered me. A few mouthy Sidereal punks came by a few years ago, but I sent them home after a sound thrashing." The way to the manse is easy, a straight, well-maintained road from the docks. There's no visible door, but the walls melt aside as Nightforge approaches. "Please try not to touch anything, the walls here smudge so easily." The wall closes behind the group, and he leads them up a twisting flight of stairs. The tower is hollow for the most part, but when they reach the top they find an expansive workshop, filled with all manner of tools, instruments, and things they can't identify. He leads them past bubbling vats of some alchemical brew to a massive crystal and starmetal eye, it's pupil moving and tracking them.

"Behold, the Oraculus! A tool to focus and amplify sorcery even beyond it's illimitable power! The gaze of the Oraculus pierces stone, shadow, time and flesh. Watch, and see the possibilities unfold..."

The eye opens, and they see a metal giant with a glass face, the cracks slowly vanishing. They see the Imperial fleet, floundering in storms as their enemies slip past. They see a sleek skyship hovering over the Imperial Manse. The see Meru erupt as a dragon-shaped shadow bursts forth, covering all of creation in darkness. All schemes, plots, and plans are swept aside by armies of demons. The Shadowlands vanish, Wyld zones dissipate, Nexus and Lookshy are consumed in green fire and a Directional Titan of tarnished orichalcum blots out the sun. The Silver Pact are enslaved and eaten, the Deathlords are cast into Oblivion, and all Creation trembles as the broken Sun falls into the fires of Meru's burning peak.

Maugan Ra
2012-12-10, 05:44 PM
Gift raises an eyebrow. "So you have something that might possibly pass muster as a decent recording. Or maybe a theoretical potential future." she says dryly. "That said, at least some of those images there are going to form happy memories to keep me warm at night, so in repayment, I'll play along for now."

"If this is accurate, which is somewhat unlikely, what exactly is it you think we should be doing to avert it? And, once again, why us? Take this to heaven if you honestly think it serves as decent proof, or do something about it yourself. Either works."

She pauses, then notes. "Preventing this sort of thing is pretty much exactly what the Sidereal's job is. And they're plenty competent enough to get it done, even if your immense arrogance and willfully blind stupidity prevents you from recognizing that fact."

Rhyvurg
2012-12-10, 06:54 PM
"I have considered that, child. But you do not know them as I do. In the past, their favored response has been 'genocide' to avert a perceived threat. I realize to you this is not a concern, but it matters very much to me. But these events should matter to you, if this disaster comes to pass the plots of the Deathlords will never come to fruition, there will be no shadowlands for them to make use of."

Maugan Ra
2012-12-10, 07:07 PM
Gift's eyes narrow. "No one gets to call me child, save my parents. And since the Lintha ate them, no one else has the right." she says coldly.

"And I saw the displayed image about the shadowlands being sealed. That is, quite frankly, horse****. Given the chaos and destruction the rest of that prediction indicated, the sheer amount of suffering involved, there should be more of them forming. That's how they work."

"Still, answer the other question. What, exactly, do you honestly expect five of us to do about this, that all the forces of Heaven, the Realm and the Silver Pact cannot?"

Felyndiira
2012-12-10, 08:57 PM
There was something impossibly dazzling about the manse; everything in the vicinity of her senses seemed a bit too advanced for this age - a manse that was likely built only during the first age, although it did well in surviving to the modern day and still make itself found by anyone of the Bronze Age. Even of the manses of her own predecessor and that of the others located in her mirror, the girl was only able to locate one of the weakest manses, with walls already aging and no way to fix the non-functioning pieces. She could not even dream of taking such a thing for herself; the man, 700-year solar or not, was clearly more powerful than she could ever become in any reasonable amount of time.

The girl continued to marvel at her surroundings as the 'solar' pridefully demonstrated the entire area to a band of otherwise complete strangers. Her gaze quickly stopped, however, at the vision shown in this 'Oraculus' device - the shadow, however faint it was now, was distinctly recognizable. Her mind searched through the memories that she had once seen; the figure of her predecessor appearing to her when she first acquired her artifact, her gentle voice pleading her to choose the 'right' path rather than the path most visible or the path most convenient. At this moment in time, what sort of path is this man trying to lead her into?

"I don't really think any of us can take on a thousand demons invading at the same time," she bemused - loudly enough so that everyone present could hear her. "Please tell us, though; what kind of prophecy is it that explicitly list you and us as the saviors of the world? I may only be a poor and naive dynast girl, but I imagine, like the captain had already said, that there would be many more people in the world better suited to handle this thread than us."

"If you could find where her highness had disappeared to, for instance."

Rhyvurg
2012-12-11, 01:37 PM
Gift's eyes narrow. "No one gets to call me child, save my parents. And since the Lintha ate them, no one else has the right." she says coldly.

"And I saw the displayed image about the shadowlands being sealed. That is, quite frankly, horse****. Given the chaos and destruction the rest of that prediction indicated, the sheer amount of suffering involved, there should be more of them forming. That's how they work."

"Still, answer the other question. What, exactly, do you honestly expect five of us to do about this, that all the forces of Heaven, the Realm and the Silver Pact cannot?"

"If their plan was just wholesale slaughter I might agree, but it is not. Have you heard of the Kukla?"

There was something impossibly dazzling about the manse; everything in the vicinity of her senses seemed a bit too advanced for this age - a manse that was likely built only during the first age, although it did well in surviving to the modern day and still make itself found by anyone of the Bronze Age. Even of the manses of her own predecessor and that of the others located in her mirror, the girl was only able to locate one of the weakest manses, with walls already aging and no way to fix the non-functioning pieces. She could not even dream of taking such a thing for herself; the man, 700-year solar or not, was clearly more powerful than she could ever become in any reasonable amount of time.

The girl continued to marvel at her surroundings as the 'solar' pridefully demonstrated the entire area to a band of otherwise complete strangers. Her gaze quickly stopped, however, at the vision shown in this 'Oraculus' device - the shadow, however faint it was now, was distinctly recognizable. Her mind searched through the memories that she had once seen; the figure of her predecessor appearing to her when she first acquired her artifact, her gentle voice pleading her to choose the 'right' path rather than the path most visible or the path most convenient. At this moment in time, what sort of path is this man trying to lead her into?

"I don't really think any of us can take on a thousand demons invading at the same time," she bemused - loudly enough so that everyone present could hear her. "Please tell us, though; what kind of prophecy is it that explicitly list you and us as the saviors of the world? I may only be a poor and naive dynast girl, but I imagine, like the captain had already said, that there would be many more people in the world better suited to handle this thread than us."

"If you could find where her highness had disappeared to, for instance."

"No, no prophecy. But the presence of you people creates the chance to avert the end of the world. Make no mistake, the Yozis are not to be taken lightly. In their way, they are far worse than the Neverborn."

Ralasha
2012-12-11, 04:29 PM
"The Yozis? Who are they?"
In the Exalted universe, the Yozis are fallen Primordials who have sworn on their own names to never again threaten Creation. They were the original makers of Creation, but were indirectly betrayed by their oathbound servants, the Gods of the Exalted setting. In the Age of Sorrows, the Yozis are demon princes, masters of the hell-prison of Malfeas.

The Yozis are cousins to the Neverborn, however, where the Neverborn are dead, the Yozis are alive, but have been bound to Malfeas for all eternity, and can only be released under certain conditions or specific oaths.

-Excerpt from White Wolf Wiki

Maugan Ra
2012-12-11, 04:49 PM
"No, no prophecy. But the presence of you people creates the chance to avert the end of the world. Make no mistake, the Yozis are not to be taken lightly. In their way, they are far worse than the Neverborn."

In an instant, everyone's shadows seem to convulse and warp, twisting themselves into hideous monsters. Cold ice water seems to run down the spine, and everyone in the room can momentarily hear far off whispers, chattering madly in an unknown language. The words are indistinct, but there is no mistaking the burning hatred and spite behind them. A moment later, and everything is back to normal.

"The Neverborn... disagree." Gift says with a narrow smile. "And I've heard a few things of the Kukla, but you are still being annoyingly non-specific."

Ralasha
2012-12-11, 04:57 PM
"I'm growing impatient, and no one likes it when I get impatient... That's when I start filling rooms and ships and towers and pants to the rim with fishes."

Rhyvurg
2012-12-12, 08:06 AM
In an instant, everyone's shadows seem to convulse and warp, twisting themselves into hideous monsters. Cold ice water seems to run down the spine, and everyone in the room can momentarily hear far off whispers, chattering madly in an unknown language. The words are indistinct, but there is no mistaking the burning hatred and spite behind them. A moment later, and everything is back to normal.

"The Neverborn... disagree." Gift says with a narrow smile. "And I've heard a few things of the Kukla, but you are still being annoyingly non-specific."

"Sorry, it's not intentional. When an elemental reaches a certain level of spiritual power, they become what is known as a lesser elemental dragon. By mandate of Heaven, they are forbidden from refining themselves past this state, for a greater elemental dragon is an unstoppable force of nature. The Kukla is a greater elemental dragon of Earth, imprisoned by the Sun. If he were to break free, he would level all of Creation and remake it just by his passing. The stabilizing nature of Earth essence would scour the world of shadowlands and Wyld zones. It also clears Hellscapes, so they must want to make their move after he's passed into the Wyld. As an agent of destruction, he is surpassed only by She Who Lives In Her Name, and perhaps the Daystar. If he is released, all shadowlands will vanish, and his lingering essence will prevent any from forming due to most of Creation's population being killed at once. But he is just part of their ultimate plan."

Darth_Versity
2012-12-12, 11:44 AM
The room seems to grow colder and Anvil shudders as a shiver runs up his spine.

"Well. I understand a little of what you speak, but most records of the Yozi are gone. I understand they are to strong to defeat in our current state. Even a collection of elder solars would have trouble. So how can we avert it?"

Rhyvurg
2012-12-12, 12:01 PM
"I have not discovered their method, but it has something to do with the current state of the Empire. If they are united behind one leader with no ties to the Empress, the invasion might be foiled. The rest of it, the Titan, the Shrike, that is all to create an unassailable power base for whomever does rule. It doesn't even have to be one of you, but the rule must be legitimate, the entire Isle must bow to this person or governing body."

Darth_Versity
2012-12-12, 02:19 PM
Anvil suddenly started laughing. He couldn't help it, the idea was just to absurd.

"I'm sorry.." he replied between his laughter "I know this is serious... but the idea of an Anathema... ruling empire."

He wiped tear from his eye. "It can't work. It won't work. Their hatred is built in. I should know, it took me months to come to terms with what I am. Even now I sometimes wonder if I'm some sort of monster."

He look towards Prescia, for support on his explanation. "Its a hatred and distrust built in by centuries of lies. Breaking such beliefs is practically impossible. We could get a pawn while working from the shadows, but how would we convince them to trust us?"

Maugan Ra
2012-12-12, 03:34 PM
"I have to agree with Anvil." Gift says, a degree of scorn in her tone. "You're mad. Completely and utterly insane. There are holes in your scheme big enough to ride a dragon through, your objectives are all individually impossible in new and creative ways, and you're operating off of a quick glimpse of the Loom of Fate while assuming that the Sidereals... who, I remind you, have access to it all the time...will react in precisely one way that you don't like."

She shakes her head. "And this isn't even beginning to count the actual Incarnae into the idea. No. I will have no part in this insanity.".

Rhyvurg
2012-12-12, 03:52 PM
Anvil suddenly started laughing. He couldn't help it, the idea was just to absurd.

"I'm sorry.." he replied between his laughter "I know this is serious... but the idea of an Anathema... ruling empire."

He wiped tear from his eye. "It can't work. It won't work. Their hatred is built in. I should know, it took me months to come to terms with what I am. Even now I sometimes wonder if I'm some sort of monster."

He look towards Prescia, for support on his explanation. "Its a hatred and distrust built in by centuries of lies. Breaking such beliefs is practically impossible. We could get a pawn while working from the shadows, but how would we convince them to trust us?"

"Usually you would be right, but that is what makes these events so momentous. Once every hundred lifetimes, the stars align, the hand of fate reaches out to you, and the impossible becomes possible. I should also point out that doing this is in your own best interests as well, should the Yozi invade people like you will be at the top of their revenge list."

"I have to agree with Anvil." Gift says, a degree of scorn in her tone. "You're mad. Completely and utterly insane. There are holes in your scheme big enough to ride a dragon through, your objectives are all individually impossible in new and creative ways, and you're operating off of a quick glimpse of the Loom of Fate while assuming that the Sidereals... who, I remind you, have access to it all the time...will react in precisely one way that you don't like."

She shakes her head. "And this isn't even beginning to count the actual Incarnae into the idea. No. I will have no part in this insanity.".

"But consider this, deathknight. What if, despite my insanity, wild claims and omission of truths, what if I am right? They will torment you for ten thousand years if Creation falls to Hell, and when your body finally succumbs to old age they will ensnare your soul so their games may continue. I cannot imagine what their inhuman creativity may inflict on you. On us all. The horror we all face should the invasion succeed is motivation enough for me to try, but what must I do to convince you? What evidence, what testimony might you heed?"

Maugan Ra
2012-12-12, 04:47 PM
Gift's shoulders shake slightly, and then she laughs. "Really? Really? You're trying to motive me with fear? With vague potential nightmares to come? You really don't understand anything." she says, smiling broadly. "I gave up more than my name when I took this power. I surrendered everything that I was or ever could be, everything my future reincarnations might have done, in exchange for the power to change the world in this existence."

She shakes her head. "Deathknights do not age. We do not grow old. You, as a Solar, might live for another two thousand years, but in the end, you will grow old and die. Even the Sidereals, who can persist for five millennia, eventually age and pass on. Not the Deathknights. I will live until I am slain, and when I am, nothing waits for me save the cold peace of oblivion. No Lethe, no reincarnation, no ultimate judgement before punishment or reward, just silence."

"And as for pain, for this talk of the horrors the Yozis will inflict... they know nothing of pain. The Neverborn have been suffering and longing for death for close to ten millennia now, suspended over the mouth of the Void. They scream in ten thousand voices, and I hear them." Gift isn't laughing now. "Every second of every day, I hear them in my mind. As part of my initiation, I met them in person, and experienced for the briefest instant what it is that they endure. There is nothing that the Yozis, or anyone else, could possibly do to me that would even begin to match that."

She sighs. "So, unless you have something better than mere conjecture and possibility to present as a means to foil this invasion which might be coming in some undefined way at some undefined time, I will stick to my present plan." she looks at the others in their party. "The Neverborn believe the only way that they can escape into the peace of death is by destroying the fetters that bind them to this world. Which would mean destroying all of creation as a side effect. I hope to find a better way. That's why I extended the offer to you, Anvil." she nods at the Twilight. "Use the knowledge of the dead, and the returned Exalted. Rebuild the wonders of the First Age, raise a world impervious to assault from Yozis or Raksha or anything else. And with that, find a way to slay the Neverborn once and for all. Skullstone is a start, a base to work from."

She turns her attention back to Nightforge. "A better plan, I think, that hiding away on an island somewhere and enlisting others to chase after your delusional dreams."

Ralasha
2012-12-12, 04:58 PM
The otter watches them, looking somehow very smug and confident. And seeming to laugh silently.

Felyndiira
2012-12-12, 07:19 PM
"Once again, the poor and clueless dynast child has a question." There was something in her heart that compelled her to speak rather than to remain silent as she had originally planned to do during her journey to this strange manse-tower. She was careful to speak such that her words did not immediately incriminate her as a chosen of the sun; the man had said nothing directly as of this moment, but there is a chance that the others has not yet figured this out. No need to incriminate herself so soon, after all.

Behind her, a flicker of fire seemed to appear for a moment, forming the shape of what appeared to be an anima banner of burning flames. It was nothing of that sort, of course - a cheap imitation created by ever-present charms, although it harmless enough to disguise herself for a bit just to be certain that her status would not spread amidst her house. "If you'll pardon my curiosity: what exactly are the names of these 'Yozis', and what sort of things can they do? Other than summoning demons, of course - the dragon-blooded of the houses do that almost as often as the leaves travel in the wind."

She knows the answer, of course, but it does not hurt to ask this question at the present. Unlike her companions - 700 year old solar or not - the revelation, or what the man would choose to reveal of the Ebon Dragon and his kin - was quite intriguing to her.

Rhyvurg
2012-12-13, 03:04 PM
Gift's shoulders shake slightly, and then she laughs. "Really? Really? You're trying to motive me with fear? With vague potential nightmares to come? You really don't understand anything." she says, smiling broadly. "I gave up more than my name when I took this power. I surrendered everything that I was or ever could be, everything my future reincarnations might have done, in exchange for the power to change the world in this existence."

She shakes her head. "Deathknights do not age. We do not grow old. You, as a Solar, might live for another two thousand years, but in the end, you will grow old and die. Even the Sidereals, who can persist for five millennia, eventually age and pass on. Not the Deathknights. I will live until I am slain, and when I am, nothing waits for me save the cold peace of oblivion. No Lethe, no reincarnation, no ultimate judgement before punishment or reward, just silence."

"And as for pain, for this talk of the horrors the Yozis will inflict... they know nothing of pain. The Neverborn have been suffering and longing for death for close to ten millennia now, suspended over the mouth of the Void. They scream in ten thousand voices, and I hear them." Gift isn't laughing now. "Every second of every day, I hear them in my mind. As part of my initiation, I met them in person, and experienced for the briefest instant what it is that they endure. There is nothing that the Yozis, or anyone else, could possibly do to me that would even begin to match that."

She sighs. "So, unless you have something better than mere conjecture and possibility to present as a means to foil this invasion which might be coming in some undefined way at some undefined time, I will stick to my present plan." she looks at the others in their party. "The Neverborn believe the only way that they can escape into the peace of death is by destroying the fetters that bind them to this world. Which would mean destroying all of creation as a side effect. I hope to find a better way. That's why I extended the offer to you, Anvil." she nods at the Twilight. "Use the knowledge of the dead, and the returned Exalted. Rebuild the wonders of the First Age, raise a world impervious to assault from Yozis or Raksha or anything else. And with that, find a way to slay the Neverborn once and for all. Skullstone is a start, a base to work from."

She turns her attention back to Nightforge. "A better plan, I think, that hiding away on an island somewhere and enlisting others to chase after your delusional dreams."

"There...is so much wrong in what you have said. If you fear the Neverborn more than the Yozis, you are a fool. The Neverborn are the Primordals who were killed, child. They were the weakest, the most impotent. The Yozis are the survivors, infinitely more dangerous. You have also been misinformed about Exalted lifespan, Solars endure for ten thousand years before we start to wither with age. As for your kind, who can say? You have not existed long enough to know just how long you last. For all you know, your power will only endure for a mere decade. Or are you so blindly trusting you believe everything the Deathlords have chosen to tell you? I asked before what proof might convince you, I am waiting for an answer."

"Once again, the poor and clueless dynast child has a question." There was something in her heart that compelled her to speak rather than to remain silent as she had originally planned to do during her journey to this strange manse-tower. She was careful to speak such that her words did not immediately incriminate her as a chosen of the sun; the man had said nothing directly as of this moment, but there is a chance that the others has not yet figured this out. No need to incriminate herself so soon, after all.

Behind her, a flicker of fire seemed to appear for a moment, forming the shape of what appeared to be an anima banner of burning flames. It was nothing of that sort, of course - a cheap imitation created by ever-present charms, although it harmless enough to disguise herself for a bit just to be certain that her status would not spread amidst her house. "If you'll pardon my curiosity: what exactly are the names of these 'Yozis', and what sort of things can they do? Other than summoning demons, of course - the dragon-blooded of the houses do that almost as often as the leaves travel in the wind."

She knows the answer, of course, but it does not hurt to ask this question at the present. Unlike her companions - 700 year old solar or not - the revelation, or what the man would choose to reveal of the Ebon Dragon and his kin - was quite intriguing to her.

"My dear, if we took a week to discuss it I could not explain the natures and powers of all the Yozi. I know the Dragon's Shadow leads this plot, i know it has something to do with the human he is marrying, and I know the other Yozis such as Malfeas, Kimbery and SWLIHN are following his lead."

Maugan Ra
2012-12-13, 04:09 PM
"The Yozis surrendered. That the Neverborn died first is an indicator of personality, not power. And by now, Nightforge, no proof you could offer would be sufficient." Gift says calmly. "You have no workable plan, no compelling evidence. And most of all, you have done nothing to deserve obedience and cooperation."

She turns and begins walking away. "I'm returning to the Silver Prince, and I will pass on your claims. Perhaps he will investigate, and find genuine evidence, and command me to work towards a solution. And if he does, I will do so, because he has earned my loyalty." she pauses, and looks over her shoulder. "And perhaps he lies to me, or manipulates my feelings. I don't care. He has given me everything, and has always treated me with respect. You, by contrast, have done nothing but belittle and insult us all, while displaying your own insane flaws to the world. Stay here and rot, then, Lawgiver. I do not care."

Ralasha
2012-12-13, 05:55 PM
"I had something to say, but I'm afraid the childishness has put me a bit off. Ah, yes. If this... dragon's shadow intends to marry, and he is one of the 'dominoes' let us kill or kidnap the one he is to marry."

Darth_Versity
2012-12-13, 07:03 PM
Anvil grabs the captain's shoulder as she walks away and quickly whispered in her ear.

"Mad or not, he obviously believes what he says and even hinted that he could lead us to the five metal shrike." his voice moves from worry to merriment "Imagine it. The shrike. Mad or not that's not an opportunity to pass up."

He looked her in the eyes, genuine concern in them. "If the neverborns existence is truly that horrific I will do what I can, but my skill isn't nearly enough yet. Here we have a chance to expand that skill though."

Maugan Ra
2012-12-13, 07:18 PM
"If he knew where it was and how to access it, he would have done so before now. That either means he's lying about his knowledge, or that it is defended by something else. I have no interest in getting myself killed chasing an impossible dream on shaky intel."

She pauses. "And... thank you. I appreciate the offer. "

Ralasha
2012-12-13, 07:21 PM
At this point, the otter spends 1 mote of personal essence, and begins to expand in size... into a mammoth sized winter wolf. One still equipped with a saddle. "Fearing something, or not fearing something. It is generally a matter of knowledge. We, not knowing what may or may not guard it therefor have nothing to fear. Wisdom dictates only that we approach the problem slowly, and cautiously. Not that we run from it like cowards. Though also that we not run into it blindly. Tiny morsels should acknowledge the wisdom of Fenris." Fenris then nuzzles the deathknight, as a dog might when demanding attention. Though she is far larger than any dog.

Maugan Ra
2012-12-13, 08:58 PM
"That... is complete nonsense." Gift says flatly, looking up at the ridiculously oversized canine. "To chase a goal without knowledge of what obstacles might lie in your path is foolishness, and seeking more information before beginning is only sensible. I trust any data my liege might provide a damn sight more than anything this babbling lunatic claims."

Ralasha
2012-12-13, 09:04 PM
"That is almost exactly what I was saying. To put it in simple terms for you. I was saying we should gather information, rather than just giving up. Why must you silly humans be so childish as to repeat what someone else has said, as though it were an argument?" She then shakes her huge maned head. "Grow up, would you?"

She then spends another personal mote, and resumes the form of a riding otter.

Maugan Ra
2012-12-13, 09:16 PM
"Who said I was giving up? I aim to return to Skullstone, where I have a support base and access to reliable information from individuals far more knowledgeable than any other in this Direction." Gift explains. "If those sources corroborate Nightforge's mad delusions, then I can still pursue them, with the full support of my liege and his considerable resources. Potential problem solved, and it means I don't have to wait around here being subjected to his arrogant and belittling commentary in the hopes that he will eventually stop prevaricating and actually provide solid evidence to back up any of his claims."

She turns and fixes the supposed Solar with a cold gaze. "Purely as an example, where the Shrike and the Titan might actually be found. Or do you have nothing more specific than 'oh, somewhere in the South', and were intending to get us to do the legwork?"

Darth_Versity
2012-12-14, 05:49 PM
"I too am curious as to where these wonders are and how we find them. Perhaps with a strait answer the captain will stay and we can avert this 'disaster' you claim is coming."

Rhyvurg
2012-12-15, 02:15 PM
She turns and fixes the supposed Solar with a cold gaze. "Purely as an example, where the Shrike and the Titan might actually be found. Or do you have nothing more specific than 'oh, somewhere in the South', and were intending to get us to do the legwork?"

"The Shrike hides in a cave near the southern Pole when at rest, and I know some outside force is goading it to attack firedust mines. I do know this cave is not in a mountain, however. The Fair Folk or Dragon Kings in the area, or the local Seasonal Court, can provide more detailed information on the attacks. The Titan is in the East, and all my information tells me it is still airborne, somehow. I have been able to determine there are humans living very close to it, but they don't seem aware of it. As for why I have not gone myself, well, all my divinations of Fate have shown me that that should I make the attempt, I will fail and most likely die. I would very much wish not to die. But the talents and personalities you bring to the table give you a much better chance of success."

Maugan Ra
2012-12-17, 02:23 PM
"They're in two separate Directions?" Gift says, frowning. "How do you suggest we could get there in a reasonable time? If it were just myself I'd shortcut through the Labyrinth, but I don't recommend that for... a considerable number of reasons."

Darth_Versity
2012-12-17, 03:50 PM
"They're in two separate Directions?" Gift says, frowning. "How do you suggest we could get there in a reasonable time? If it were just myself I'd shortcut through the Labyrinth, but I don't recommend that for... a considerable number of reasons."

"Well, if we somehow manage to get the Shrike first we can use it to cover the distance to the Titan in now time at all." he looked quizzically at Nightforge "But I still dont understand what kind of challenges or dangers we could be facing that would defeat you but not us."

He looked around at the assembled band, raising an eyebrow at the selection "But then, we are an odd troupe. Maybe versatility is superior in this case to raw power."

Ralasha
2012-12-17, 07:15 PM
"That normally depends on the amount of raw power. Let me ask you a question. Let us say you perform some math and find you have a 15% to complete and survive a task. But someone else has a 5% chance, do you go, or send the people with only a slightly lower chance?

Unfortunately, I do not know this man, so I cannot say which choice he would make. Especially since he destroys things for no reason like a small child."

Maugan Ra
2012-12-17, 07:36 PM
"I will point out, of course, that we still have very little to go on in finding the Shrike. It's somewhere in the South - which, I remind you, is a region so large that it can quite literally take years to cross - in a cave that is not part of a mountain." Gift notes. "You advise possibly talking to the Fair Folk, the Gods or the Dragon Kings for more information. Beyond the fact that pretty much all of those have good reason to kill me at least on sight, knowing the precise location of the attacks is unlikely to help much."

The Abyssal rubs her temple for a moment, as though fighting back a headache. "The Shrike is supposed to be infamously fast, exceptionally maneuverable, and has an operating range that it apparently virtually unlimited. If it's in a cave, then odds are whoever currently controls it just happens to have picked a convenient place to stay, and are by no means tied to that particular region. Without a way to make the Shrike come to us, or to find it rapidly and with complete accuracy, it can change location every year or so and we will never track it down."

"As for the Titan... it's still airborne? So, what, we'd be looking for a flying mountain? Well, tracking something like that down should be considerably easier if we can first get across the entire length of the world, but one presumes it is otherwise heavily broken. Otherwise someone else would have taken it by now."

She sighs. "All in all, it really seems as though there have got to be much more efficient ways to prepare for a possible invasion by Hell than this."

Rhyvurg
2012-12-17, 09:48 PM

"Well, if we somehow manage to get the Shrike first we can use it to cover the distance to the Titan in now time at all." he looked quizzically at Nightforge "But I still dont understand what kind of challenges or dangers we could be facing that would defeat you but not us."

He looked around at the assembled band, raising an eyebrow at the selection "But then, we are an odd troupe. Maybe versatility is superior in this case to raw power."

"What he said."

"I will point out, of course, that we still have very little to go on in finding the Shrike. It's somewhere in the South - which, I remind you, is a region so large that it can quite literally take years to cross - in a cave that is not part of a mountain." Gift notes. "You advise possibly talking to the Fair Folk, the Gods or the Dragon Kings for more information. Beyond the fact that pretty much all of those have good reason to kill me at least on sight, knowing the precise location of the attacks is unlikely to help much."

The Abyssal rubs her temple for a moment, as though fighting back a headache. "The Shrike is supposed to be infamously fast, exceptionally maneuverable, and has an operating range that it apparently virtually unlimited. If it's in a cave, then odds are whoever currently controls it just happens to have picked a convenient place to stay, and are by no means tied to that particular region. Without a way to make the Shrike come to us, or to find it rapidly and with complete accuracy, it can change location every year or so and we will never track it down."

"As for the Titan... it's still airborne? So, what, we'd be looking for a flying mountain? Well, tracking something like that down should be considerably easier if we can first get across the entire length of the world, but one presumes it is otherwise heavily broken. Otherwise someone else would have taken it by now."

She sighs. "All in all, it really seems as though there have got to be much more efficient ways to prepare for a possible invasion by Hell than this."

"The Shrike is fast, but it has been without maintenance for centuries. I propose that instead of hunting the ship, hunt the being that commands it. It would need to be an exceedingly ancient person to know the command codes, and they clearly have some agenda against the firedust merchants. I would hazard a guess that it is a ghost or god that is to blame. But your presence here, deathknight, suggests to me it is indeed a ghost, that could be your critical role to play. As for the Titan, I know there is a floating mountain in the East, and I meant to investigate but there were other demands on my time. There is also some kind of local war going on, and the locals think anyone they don't know is an enemy. And as you are aware, I am...not well versed in the social graces. I also know the Silver Pact has a presence in the area, but I have not been able to determine their role, if any. I am sorry I am so vague, but my device shows me possibilities more than facts."

Ralasha
2012-12-17, 10:01 PM
"I believe I can get all of us across at least a portion of the distance, if not the majority in little time one we are on the mainland. There are few things faster than I."

Maugan Ra
2012-12-17, 10:04 PM
"A ghost who knows the codes for the Five-Metal Shrike. Oh, wonderful." Gift says dryly. "We're probably talking about a dead Solar, then. A dead, First Age Solar."

Still, she looks somewhat more contemplative now, and isn't heading for the door. "Still, if it is a ghost, and they are in the South, I know who to talk to. Virtually the entirety of the underworld in the South answers to the First and Forsaken Lion - one of my master's peers. There's no avoiding getting him involved in one way or another, really - his spy networks will hear about anything we try in those lands, and he might very well take it... amiss, if we try operating in his territory without his consent." she smiles grimly. "Seeing as he commands the single largest army in all of Creation, unless one takes the Realm as a single army, people who offend him don't tend to last long."

She crosses her arms. "That said, I work for the Silver Prince, not the Lion. The chances are... somewhat slim that I'd be able to get any of us support in that matter without outright defecting to the Lion, which I am... reluctant to do."

Ralasha
2012-12-17, 10:20 PM
"If the silver pact is in the area... I may be able to begin talks with them, in order to gain the needed information. And as I said, once on land, transportation should not be an issue."

Darth_Versity
2012-12-18, 01:19 AM
"And if it is a First Age Solar in charge of the ship then I will probably have the best chance of talking them into giving it to us." he looks around excitedly at the prospect, forgetting the earlier reluctance "Maybe they even knew me in a previous existance."

Maugan Ra
2012-12-18, 01:27 AM
"I wouldn't count on that." Gift says in a warning tone to Anvil. "Not every ghost, especially those from that era, remains... well, entirely sane. And their motivations might very well be nearly incomprehensible to you."

She considers for a moment, then shrugs. "Purely as an example, the Deathlords? Each and every one of them hails from the First Age. And the bulk of them were once Solars." She smiles. "I doubt you'd be able to convince one of them to part with such a powerful and unique treasure as the Shrike."

Darth_Versity
2012-12-18, 01:39 AM
"I wouldn't count on that." Gift says in a warning tone to Anvil. "Not every ghost, especially those from that era, remains... well, entirely sane. And their motivations might very well be nearly incomprehensible to you."

She considers for a moment, then shrugs. "Purely as an example, the Deathlords? Each and every one of them hails from the First Age. And the bulk of them were once Solars." She smiles. "I doubt you'd be able to convince one of them to part with such a powerful and unique treasure as the Shrike."

"Truly? Well well... There is information I did not know. But then again, most First Age Solars are not considered to highly in modern society." he shrugs "But even so, maybe even they have a small spark of their old glory and greatness within them. Maybe they are not beyond redemption."

Maugan Ra
2012-12-18, 02:43 AM
"Redemption? For them? Never going to happen." Gift says emphatically. "Some acts leave a stain on the soul too deep to ever wash out."

Ralasha
2012-12-18, 04:36 AM
"Actually, from what I had learned, I was led to believe their behavior had gradually changed... Like the grip of an ever deepening madness. Perhaps this is the end result of all Exaltations?"

Darth_Versity
2012-12-18, 05:14 AM
"Actually, from what I had learned, I was led to believe their behavior had gradually changed... Like the grip of an ever deepening madness. Perhaps this is the end result of all Exaltations?"

"Their exaltations are gone. Its possible that the powers we wield are to great for our mortal minds and slowly destroy them, but there is no way it is continuing to effect the Deathlords."

Anvil stands pensieve for a moment, considering the possibility.

"Maybe that is what happened to the original Solars. They're power was too great and slowly destroyed their minds."

Ralasha
2012-12-18, 06:03 AM
"If this... madness were no longer effecting the deathlords, than would they not once again be thr gihteous beings they once were? Perhaps the deathlords are what a solar exaltation eventually leads to.

Darth_Versity
2012-12-18, 06:37 AM
"If this... madness were no longer effecting the deathlords, than would they not once again be thr gihteous beings they once were? Perhaps the deathlords are what a solar exaltation eventually leads to.

"Im not saying the madness would go with an exaltation, if indeed an exaltation does cause such things. But after it was gone it would not be the cause for further degradation, and in fact would allow such a victim to regain his senses over time. Any further descent into madness is caused by the individual or their environment."

"Anyway, this is all speculation. There is no proof that such things can be caused by exaltations."

Ralasha
2012-12-18, 06:45 AM
"A damaged soul might not heal so easily. Also, it should be noted that all knowledge begins as speculation."

Rhyvurg
2012-12-19, 02:27 PM
"If I may, it is known to some in the Underworld what happened after the Solars were killed. There are not many left that old, but if you want real insight into what happened back then, I suggest you seek them out."

Ralasha
2012-12-20, 05:01 AM
"That wouldn't tell me what madness it is that eventually claims us."

Darth_Versity
2012-12-20, 01:32 PM
"Enough talk of madness, it sends a shiver down my spine and I have no wish to feel a chill. Perhaps, back to the matter at hand?" he studied everyones faces, hoping to finish up soon. The day was getting on and he could feel the need for food growing in the pit of his stomach.

"Perhaps, Forge, you could elaborate some more on the details, if you have any. And failing that, surely you have some things in this place that could aid us. I'm willing to go along with you for now, but i'd feel much better with a suit of Orichalum protecting me than common iron." he looked hopefully at the old solar.

Rhyvurg
2012-12-20, 11:16 PM
"Details of what? You have to be more specific boy, I know many things about many things. I could just tell you what I learned about Solar ghosts, but at this point I think some of you might just not believe me."

Darth_Versity
2012-12-21, 06:33 PM
"Not about ghosts. The shrike. Surely you have more information than to just ask the locals. It could take years without more specific information. On top of that, how do we control it even if we do manage to get hold of it. No one here has seen controls like it will have and thus have no knowledge of how to fly it. I could work it with time, but it may not be luxury we can afford."

Rhyvurg
2012-12-21, 08:21 PM
"I told you, they would have to be very old to know the command codes. And ancient supernatural beings tend to be very powerful, so they would have a lot of territory, influence or servants. Very few truly powerful beings are all that hard to find. As I said, odds are it is a ghost that you seek. A Solar ghost would be wealthy beyond imagining, for they were buried with grand ceremony and the treasure of nations for their grave goods. That will be nearly impossible to hide."

Maugan Ra
2012-12-21, 08:38 PM
"No, he won't." Gift says calmly. "Not in the South, not in the Lion's domain. No one has large amounts of territory there, not even dead Solars. The last one to try was an individual named Varan. Ex-Dawn caste, I think, noble and pious. Led a popular and well trained uprising against the Deathlords and the Neverborn, seeking to protect the dead populations of the South."

She extends one hand, curling it into a grip, and suddenly she is holding a weapon. A Daiklaive to be precise, forged out of black metal that gleams in the artificial light. Beneath the surface of the metal, everyone can clearly see at least half a dozen pale faces, writhing and moaning softly as though in great pain. "The Lion forged him into Soulsteel, like this blade. Only, usually the victim is rendered unconscious and nearly dead... again... first, so they don't ever feel the process and their corpus becomes pliable. The Lion didn't bother with that step for Varan. He melted the ghost's body down into a molten state, and then forged him into a greatsword enchanted with all manner of necromantic effects. Varan was, I'm told, conscious the entire time. For all I know he still is - the Lion favours that blade above all others."

She opens her hand, and the daiklaive vanishes again before it can hit the floor. "If this ghost still exists, and the Lion hasn't destroyed him yet, then it's because he's being subtle. Secretive. Not showing his hand." she shrugs. "That or the Lion has the Shrike, in which case this whole mission is doomed before it starts."

Ralasha
2012-12-21, 09:52 PM
"Oh, more doom." The otter rolls its eyes. "Always with the doom. Doom this, doom that, our mission is doomed! The world is doomed! You are doomed! I am doomed! Can we please find a different word to use? One less likely to leave me laughing hysterically?" She bumps into someone random and rolls over. "Rub my belly."

Darth_Versity
2012-12-22, 05:22 PM
Anvil absentmindedly reaches down rubs the creatures stomach while looking at the others.

"So the codes are in the hands of either a powerful ghost who is purposely hiding his presence from an even more powerful being, or the more powerful being." he shrugs "Either way, its more than a little difficult, and neither is going to be happy with our presence. Joy"

Ralasha
2012-12-22, 07:05 PM
She looks around. "DOOOOOOOOOOOOOM! ... sorry, I couldn't help myself."

Rhyvurg
2013-01-18, 07:34 AM
She opens her hand, and the daiklaive vanishes again before it can hit the floor. "If this ghost still exists, and the Lion hasn't destroyed him yet, then it's because he's being subtle. Secretive. Not showing his hand." she shrugs. "That or the Lion has the Shrike, in which case this whole mission is doomed before it starts."

"There is always the possibility that this ghost is a vassal of the Lion. I have told you everything I was able to learn thus far, but I will continue to inquire and send messages to you as soon as I know something. I am giving you my ship to get you to the mainland, you may do what you wish with it once you get there."

Ralasha
2013-01-18, 07:57 AM
"I would, if possible, like some form of saddle, with which I could transport the entirety of our circle. Any other device would also be acceptable, as I am certain they would not enjoy being carried in my jaws. Though a basket which I might hold in them would suffice as well. I would prefer only one one, very specific, rider in this instance."

Rhyvurg
2013-01-19, 01:06 PM
"A...saddle. Okay, I can do that. Atomic or normal?"

Ralasha
2013-01-19, 01:14 PM
"The difference being?"