PDA

View Full Version : The godshard (Base class)

InaVegt
2006-10-28, 06:56 AM
There are two ways to use this class, the intended way as is in his flavor and an additional way so you can fit it in a standard campaign better.

Godshards are as the name suggests part of a god, in fact they are what makes a god. Hundreds or thousends of godshards combined are the god. They live seperate lifes from the others only to come to gatherings now and then. Some gods have strict codes on what their parts can and can't do while others have the general sense of as long as they act the same as our clerics have to it's fine. In history a couple of times gods have split because the factions grew too much apart. New godshards are recruited by others of the same god. As you need to kill all the members of a god to kill the god gods are hard but not impossible to kill.
Hit Die

d8.
Class Skills

The godshard’s class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Heal (Wis), Knowledge (arcana) (Int), Knowledge (history) (Int), Knowledge (religion) (Int), Knowledge (the planes) (Int), Profession (Wis), and Spellcraft (Int). The domains of a godshard might give it additional class skills.

Skill Points at 1st Level

(2 + Int modifier) ×4.
Skill Points at Each Additional Level

2 + Int modifier.
BAB for wil ref class features
+0 +2 +2 +2 Divine aura, detect divine aura
+1 +3 +3 +3
+2 +3 +3 +3 Divine health
+3 +4 +4 +4
+3 +4 +4 +4 1st domain
+4 +5 +5 +5
+5 +5 +5 +5
+6 +6 +6 +6
+6 +6 +6 +6
+7 +7 +7 +7 2nd domain
+8 +7 +7 +7
+9 +8 +8 +8
+9 +8 +8 +8
+10 +9 +9 +9
+11 +9 +9 +9 3rd domain
+11 +10 +10 +10
+12 +10 +10 +10
+13 +11 +11 +11
+14 +11 +11 +11
+15 +12 +12 +12 Purity of divinity, 4th domainSpells: as cleric, except for the domains
Divine aura: a godshard has a divine aura.
Detect divine aura (SU): as detect evil except normal divine spellcasters show up as normal people of that alignment and godshards show up as a cleric ofthat alignment, other people don't show up at all. In the 3rd round a knowledge religion check can be made to determine the religion.
Divine health: as the paladin class feature
Domains: as the godshard advances in level he gains access to more domains, he starts out with zero and gains one at every fifth level. The list of domains depends on the god.
Purity of divinity: at 20th level a godshard becomes an outsider with the native subtype.

Pegasos989
2006-10-28, 02:01 PM
I really like the flavour of god forming when enough creatures come together and finally having the way to kill a god by killing his followers. Will certainly be taken to my next campaign.

Then to the mechanical part.

Cleric's HD
Cleric's spells
Cleric's skills
Cleric's BAB
3 good saves instead of cleric's two
Misc instead of misc (divine health instead of turning, etc.)

So, it is a cleric with better saves and from 15th level on, more domains.

As cleric is already one of the most powerful classes, I would not recommend an improved copy of a cleric, which is what this is mechanically.

EDIT: And as the HD or BAB can't be reduced if you want it to fill the same role as cleric, the question is, do we need this class? I really like the flavour but the mechanics and party role seem to be exactly those of a cleric so as far as I see, we could do with just reflavouring the cleric.