PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Build Idea: Better good looking than good

Drothmal
2012-11-29, 11:54 PM
Hello!

After looking at the human luck feats, I was toying with the idea of a "better lucky than good" build, but as I was building it, a completely different concept appeared.

Basically, I want to make a charisma based jack of all trades, master of none. Fluff wise, it would probably be a guy that worships Desna and, because he has always had so much luck that he triumphs over any obstacle, he does not have the self discipline to stick to one area of expertise.

This is what I have so far. I have kept the "luck" part of the build since for some reason I see luck and CHA being related to each other

lvl 1: Wizard (spellslinger), Divination (prescience School). Take Human luck feats

lvl 2,3: Paladin (Divine Hunter or Holy gun, not sure). Get Rapid Shot at level 3

lvl 4: Gunslinger (misterious stranger)

lvl 5: Bard (Acheologist). Take Lingering performance

lvl 6: Oracle, battle mystery (war sight for double rolls on initiative)

lvl 7, 8: Ninja. Use Ki for extra attacks

EDIT: How character would look at at level 8
+4BAB (+6 if fractional is in place) vs touch AC = 3 attacks per turn with rapid shot and using Ki

+CHA to saves (and probably pretty decent saves all around)
3+INT roll twice, take best

Swift action options
Use wizard spells to give weapon flaming/shocking/etc
CHA to damage
CHA to hit, +2 to damage
Use Ki for extra attack

That's all I got so far. It's just a crazy idea, but I would appreciate any feedback on it!

Saidoro
2012-11-30, 12:22 AM
Questions:
1:Are you using fractional BAB? because this will never hit anything otherwise.(Don't just assume that you are, check with your DM.)
2:What do you intend to do with your combat actions? How would this compare to what a single classed character could do at your level?
3:What does this build provide that a refluffed Sorcerer, Oracle, Bard, Paladin or Ki Mystic Monk could not?(You'd need to dip something for class skills and sweet talk your dm into letting your monk be cha based for the last one, but that's doable.)

grarrrg
2012-11-30, 01:22 AM
Hmm...
That's a lot of dips.
If only there was someone who made an easy to reference dipping guide or something...
They'd probably link to it in their signature...
If only...

Drothmal
2012-11-30, 03:11 AM
Hmm...
That's a lot of dips.
If only there was someone who made an easy to reference dipping guide or something...
They'd probably link to it in their signature...
If only...

Actually, it was both your dipping guide and your X to Y thread that got me started thinking about this. So have no fear, my good sir, your deeds do not go unheeded :smallwink:

1:Are you using fractional BAB? because this will never hit anything otherwise.(Don't just assume that you are, check with your DM.)
2:What do you intend to do with your combat actions? How would this compare to what a single classed character could do at your level?
3:What does this build provide that a refluffed Sorcerer, Oracle, Bard, Paladin or Ki Mystic Monk could not?(You'd need to dip something for class skills and sweet talk your dm into letting your monk be cha based for the last one, but that's doable.)

1. This is not for any games as of yet (though I have thought of using this build for a PbP submission), so it is hard to know. I was concerned about that same problem, but on the other hand you are using firearms, so at least we are talking only of touch AC

2. Combat actions... well, let's start with the caveat that as I see it this is definitely a suboptimal (though fun) build.

In general, I would see this guy shooting a couple of times per turn, often adding his CHA modifier to damage. It would result in decent DPR, but not nearly as much as a dedicated paladin/fighter/ranger build could. Though I guess if you move the ninja levels a bit earlier you might get a more reasonable dpr by using key for an extra attack)

Though you would have a lot of interesting things to do out of combat, since pretty much every skill will be a class skill

3. Not sure how to answer this question. I guess a big point of the concept is seeing if you can keep up with other classes while not specializing in any of them...

I mean, you can always be a master summoner and get your minions to do all these things more effectively in your stead, but it's not as much fun

grarrrg
2012-11-30, 09:11 AM
Actually, it was both your dipping guide and your X to Y thread that got me started thinking about this. So have no fear, my good sir, your deeds do not go unheeded :smallwink:

Deeds? Yes.
Good sir? Still up for debate.
And while I compiled/submitted to the X-to-Y thread, I am not the guy behind it, you need to find Person Man.

Also, as a possible alternative to Human, you can go Halfling, they have a lot of "lucky" feats and such as well, and the +DEX/+CHA seem to mesh well with what you got so far.