PDA

View Full Version : The Ki Fighter

Blackhawk748
2012-11-30, 11:26 AM
yes this class is blatantly DBZ inspired
Abilities: Strength for melee combat, Dexterity for defence, Wisdom for defence and Ki pool, and Constitution for health and determining length of Ki Sen
Alignment: any, but usually lawful
HD: d8

level Base attack Saves Class abilities Unarmed strike Unarmored armor bonus Movement bonus
1 As a monk As a monk Unarmed strike, ki pool, ki strike 1d6 0 0
2 Bonus power, Kisen 2/1 per day 1d6 0 0
3 1d6 0 0
4 Bonus power, kisen 3 1d8 0 0
5 1d8 1 0
6 Bonus power, kisen 4/2 per day 1d8 1 10
7 Charge 1d8 1 10
8 Bonus power, kisen 5 1d10 1 10
9 1d10 1 10
10 Bonus power, kisen 10/ 3 per day 1d10 2 20
11 1d10 2 20
12 Bonus power 2d6 2 20
13 Kisen 15 2d6 2 20
14 Bonus power 2d6 3 20
15 2d6 3 30
16 Bonus power, kisen 20/4 day, Overcharge 2d8 3 30
17 2d8 3 30
18 Bonus power 2d8 3 30
19 2d8 4 30
20 Kisen rage mode/1 per day, bonus power 2d10 4 30

Class skills: Balance, Climb, Concentration, Craft, Escape Artist, Hide, Jump, Knowledge (Religion), Listen, Move Silently, Profession, Sense Motive, Spot, Survival, Swim, Tumble
Skill points at 1st (4+ int modifier) X 4
Skill points 4+int modifier

Ki pool: The ki pool is how a Ki fighter manifests his power. He expends KI to use his abilities much like a psionic character, except that the class bestows no Ki points per level. A ki fighters ki pool is determined by his Wis modifier times his ki fighter level. A Ki fighter can never augment a ki power with more than half of his total ki points.

Ki strike: by channeling ki into his fist, a ki fighter is able to do extensive damage. For 1 ki point a ki fighter can add 1d6 of damage to his melee attack. He must declare before his attack that he is doing this and if the attack misses the ki points are lost. A ki fighter can augment this attack once per ki fighter level.

Ki Fighter Powers**
Ki blast: the ki fighter creates a ball of energy and hurls it at his target. For 2 ki points a ki fighter manifests his ki into a ball and launches it at a target for 1d6 force damage. Range 60ft per level, 2 ki points per 1d6 to augment.

Improved Ki blast: as ki ball except the ki ball does 3d6 force damage and it now cost 3 ki points.

Greater Ki blast: as Ki ball, except the ki ball does 5d6 force damage and now cost 4 ki points

Ki beam: the ki fighter channels his ki into his fingers and launches a powerful beam. For 3 ki points a ki fighter launches a line attack that deals 1d6 force damage. Range 100ft, 3 ki points to augment, 1d6 extra damage, adds extra 5ft width, or an extra 100ft length

Improved Ki Beam: as Ki beam except the beam is now 10ft wide and deals 3d6, costs 4 ki points.

Greater Ki Beam: as ki beam except the beam is now 15ft wide and deals 5d6, cost 5 ki points.

Ki Canon: the ki fighter channels his ki into a massive short ranged blast. For 4 ki points the ki fighter launches a cone attack that deals 1d6 points of force damage. Range 15ft cone, 4 ki points to augment, extra 1d6 points of damage or, add 15ft to the cone.

Improved Ki Canon: as the ki canon except the cone deals 3d6, costs 5 ki points.

Greater Ki Canon: as the ki canon except the cone deals 5d6 in a 30ft cone, cost 6 ki points.

Ki Bomb: the user creates an explosive ball of ki and hurls it at his target with deadly results. For 5 ki points the ki fighter channels his ki into a deadly area attack that deals 1d6 of force damage. Range 100ft, 20 ft radius, 5 points to augment, extra 1d6 damage, extra 20ft radius, or extra 100ft range.

Improved Ki Bomb: as Ki Bomb, except it deals 3d6 in a 20ft radius cost 6 ki points.

Greater KI Bomb: as ki bomb except it deals 5d6 in a 40ft radius, cost 7 ki points.

Ki Flight: The user channels his ki into his feet allowing him to fly. The Ki Fighter gains a fly speed equal to his base land speed with average maneuverability, costs 10 points lasts 1 minute per level.

Vanish: the Ki Fighter instantaneously teleports twice his movement speed in any direction. Costs 5 ki points standard action, 7 ki points as a movement, 10 ki points as a free action, 20 points as an immediate action.
*all saves are dc 10+wis modifier+half ki fighter lvl rounded up.
*A ki fighter can opt to "downgrade" his power. ex. I****ara wants to use his Greater Ki Beam, but the beam is so wide he will hit his allies. I****ara can choose to use a smaller area for his attack while still retaining the damage at no cost.

Ki Sen: The Ki Fighter focuses his ki into his body giving himself a boost in strength. At second level the Ki Fighter gains the ability to boost his Strength and Constitution once per day for one round per the enhanced Con modifier, he gains a second time at 6th level, a 3rd time at 10th level and a 4th time at level 16.
Ki Sen 2: the first Ki Sen the Ki Fighter can use, it increases his Strength by +2 and his Con by +2, it lasts one round per Con Modifier, using the enhanced number.
Ki Sen 3: replaces Ki Sen 2, increases the Ki Fighters Strength by +4 and his Constitution by +4.
Ki Sen 4: replaces Ki Sen 3, increases the ki fighters Strength by +4 and his Constitution by +4 and increases the Ki Fighters movement by 10ft.
Ki Sen 5: replaces Ki Sen 4, increases the Ki Fighters Strength by +4 and his Constitution by +4, his Movement speed by +10 and gives him DR 1/-
Ki Sen 10:replaces Ki Sen 5, increases the Ki Fighters Strength by +5 and his Constitution by +5, his movement speed by +15 and gives him DR2/-
Ki Sen 15:replaces Ki Sen 10, increases the Ki Fighters Strength by +5 and his Constitution by +5, his movement speed by +15 and gives him DR 4/-
Ki Sen 20: replaces Kisen 15, increases the Ki Fighters Strength by +6 and his Constitution by +6, his movement speed by +20 and gives him DR 5/-

Charge: at 7th level, the Ki Fighter gains the ability to Charge his Ki Attacks. For ever full round action the Ki Fighter spends charging his attack, he gets two free augments. Ex, I****ara declares that he is going to begin Charging his Greater Ki Beam, he then spends the turn he declared this charging his attack, he then decides that he will spend one more turn charging. On the third turn after he declares Charging, he decides to release it, he decides to spend both of his augments on damage. So after two turns of Charging, I****ara launches a Ki Beam that deals 7d6 in a 170ft line 15ft wide.

Overcharge: at 16th level the Ki Fighter gains the ability to use more than half of his Ki points in one attack, doing this will make him exhausted and if he uses all of his Ki points, he will fall unconscious.

Ki Sen Rage mode: at 20th level the Ki Fighter is capable of launching himself into a Ki Fueled Rage once per day. The Rage increases his Strength by +8 and his Constitution by +8, gives him a Fly speed equal to his land speed and a DR 10/-, also his Ki pool doubles in size. The Rage lasts for 1 round per the increased Con modifier. (the effects of Ki Sen Rage mode do not stack with the effects of normal Ki Sen.)

PS: i know the chart looks lousy but i cant find how to make a nice one, bear with me please

danzibr
2012-11-30, 11:57 AM
PS: i know the chart looks lousy but i cant find how to make a nice one, bear with me please
I'll totally give a PEACH later. For now, use my format from this thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=261656) for the table.

Razanir
2012-11-30, 12:22 PM

Tablemaking tutorial (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=205677) Tada! :smallbiggrin: Oh, but with this, use bold and italic text to make it easier to read. The only reason I knew ki sen isn't a power is because the table told me so

Ki pool: The ki pool is how a Ki fighter manifests his power. He expends KI to use his abilities much like a psionic character, except that the class bestows no Ki points per level. A ki fighters ki pool is determined by his Wis modifier times his ki fighter level. A Ki fighter can never augment a ki power with more than half of his total ki points.

I'd change the limit to your ki fighter level. It would be more consistent with the psionic mechanics you're basing this off of, and is less prone to abuse

Ki strike: by channeling ki into his fist, a ki fighter is able to do extensive damage. For 1 ki point a ki fighter can add 1d6 of damage to his melee attack. He must declare before his attack that he is doing this and if the attack misses the ki points are lost. A ki fighter can augment this attack once per ki fighter level.

Seems just fine, although a cap might be nice

Ki Fighter Powers**
Ki blast: the ki fighter creates a ball of energy and hurls it at his target. For 2 ki points a ki fighter manifests his ki into a ball and launches it at a target for 1d6 force damage. Range 60ft per level, 2 ki points per 1d6 to augment.

Ki beam: the ki fighter channels his ki into his fingers and launches a powerful beam. For 3 ki points a ki fighter launches a line attack that deals 1d6 force damage. Range 100ft, 3 ki points to augment, 1d6 extra damage, adds extra 5ft width, or an extra 100ft length

Ki Canon: the ki fighter channels his ki into a massive short ranged blast. For 4 ki points the ki fighter launches a cone attack that deals 1d6 points of force damage. Range 15ft cone, 4 ki points to augment, extra 1d6 points of damage or, add 15ft to the cone.

Ki Bomb: the user creates an explosive ball of ki and hurls it at his target with deadly results. For 5 ki points the ki fighter channels his ki into a deadly area attack that deals 1d6 of force damage. Range 100ft, 20 ft radius, 5 points to augment, extra 1d6 damage, extra 20ft radius, or extra 100ft range.

I might lower the augment costs a bit. As is, augmenting is really just manifesting it multiple times in a standard action. As nice as that sounds, it really isn't incentive for me to augment. Also, I'd change the ranges. Maybe make them start as close range, but you can augment it up to medium or even long. Also, a cannon is the weapon, a canon is a codified set of books

Ki Flight: The user channels his ki into his feet allowing him to fly. The Ki Fighter gains a fly speed equal to his base land speed with average maneuverability, costs 10 points lasts 1 minute per level.

Maybe add an option to augment for better maneuverability

Vanish: the Ki Fighter instantaneously teleports twice his movement speed in any direction. Costs 5 ki points standard action, 7 ki points as a movement, 10 ki points as a free action, 20 points as an immediate action

Maybe make it teleport anywhere you can reach in twice your speed (ignoring difficult terrain) That would put it more on par with dimension door

*all saves are dc 10+wis modifier+half ki fighter lvl rounded up.
*A ki fighter can opt to "downgrade" his power. ex. I****ara wants to use his Greater Ki Beam, but the beam is so wide he will hit his allies. I****ara can choose to use a smaller area for his attack while still retaining the damage at no cost.

I have to ask. What's with the string of asterisks in the name? I****ara is kinda distracting to read

Ki Sen: The Ki Fighter focuses his ki into his body giving himself a boost in strength. At second level the Ki Fighter gains the ability to boost his Strength and Constitution once per day for one round per the enhanced Con modifier, he gains a second time at 6th level, a 3rd time at 10th level and a 4th time at level 16.
Ki Sen 2: the first Ki Sen the Ki Fighter can use, it increases his Strength by +2 and his Con by +2, it lasts one round per Con Modifier, using the enhanced number.
Ki Sen 3: replaces Ki Sen 2, increases the Ki Fighters Strength by +4 and his Constitution by +4.
Ki Sen 4: replaces Ki Sen 3, increases the ki fighters Strength by +4 and his Constitution by +4 and increases the Ki Fighters movement by 10ft.
Ki Sen 5: replaces Ki Sen 4, increases the Ki Fighters Strength by +4 and his Constitution by +4, his Movement speed by +10 and gives him DR 1/-
Ki Sen 10:replaces Ki Sen 5, increases the Ki Fighters Strength by +5 and his Constitution by +5, his movement speed by +15 and gives him DR2/-
Ki Sen 15:replaces Ki Sen 10, increases the Ki Fighters Strength by +5 and his Constitution by +5, his movement speed by +15 and gives him DR 4/-
Ki Sen 20: replaces Kisen 15, increases the Ki Fighters Strength by +6 and his Constitution by +6, his movement speed by +20 and gives him DR 5/-

Change the name to Ki Sen, and just have it gain more effects. No point in coming up with separate names for each one. Also, if you're giving them numbers, PLEASE make them match what levels you get them.

Charge: at 7th level, the Ki Fighter gains the ability to Charge his Ki Attacks. For ever full round action the Ki Fighter spends charging his attack, he gets two free augments. Ex, I****ara declares that he is going to begin Charging his Greater Ki Beam, he then spends the turn he declared this charging his attack, he then decides that he will spend one more turn charging. On the third turn after he declares Charging, he decides to release it, he decides to spend both of his augments on damage. So after two turns of Charging, I****ara launches a Ki Beam that deals 7d6 in a 170ft line 15ft wide.

What happens if he gets attacked mid-charge?

Overcharge: at 16th level the Ki Fighter gains the ability to use more than half of his Ki points in one attack, doing this will make him exhausted and if he uses all of his Ki points, he will fall unconscious.

With my proposed change, "up to three times his level"

Ki Sen Rage mode: at 20th level the Ki Fighter is capable of launching himself into a Ki Fueled Rage once per day. The Rage increases his Strength by +8 and his Constitution by +8, gives him a Fly speed equal to his land speed and a DR 10/-, also his Ki pool doubles in size. The Rage lasts for 1 round per the increased Con modifier. (the effects of Ki Sen Rage mode do not stack with the effects of normal Ki Sen.)

Seems like a decent capstone

Edit:

Overall comments: (Ex), (Su) and (Sp). You need these. Also remember to give maneuverability any time you have a fly speed

Razanir
2012-11-30, 12:34 PM
Proposed ki sen rewrite:

Ki Sen (Ex): Once per day starting at level 1, plus an additional time per day at level 5 and every five levels thereafter to a maximum of 5 times at level 20, a ki fighter may activate ki sen (not sure on the correct verb). He gains a +4 bonus to strength and constitution for a number of rounds equal to his new constitution modifier.

Improved Ki Sen (Ex): Starting at level 5, a ki fighter gains a 10 ft bonus to his speed while using ki sen. This bonus increases by 10 ft every five levels thereafter to a maximum of 40 ft at level 20

Greater Ki Sen (Ex): At level 10, the bonus to strength and constitution increases to +6. The ki fighter also gains DR 2/- while using ki sen. This DR increases to 4/- at level 15

Ki Sen Rage (Ex or Su): At level 20, the bonus to strength and constitution increases to +8 and the damage reduction increases to DR 10/-. The ki fighter can also sacrifice his bonus to speed to gain a fly speed equal to his base land speed with average maneuverability. If he does so, this ability is supernatural instead of extraordinary.

Blackhawk748
2012-11-30, 12:35 PM
the asterisks where supposed to be a guys name: I S H I T A R A. it got filtered

Ki fist does have a cap, its your level ie lvl two 2d6 or lvl twenty 20d6

all the powers here are Extraordinary

Vanish distance, didnt realize that that actually affected it

Augment caps: i played around with having the cap be their lvl, but since you dont have much in the way of points having it be half of your total pool lets you do the "big attack" and save the party, but since you could only do that twice its impossible to abuse.