PDA

View Full Version : blindsight vs hear the unseen

duruk
2012-11-30, 12:21 PM
hello all,
first time posting here, sorry if i'm asking this somewhere i shouldn't be.
i'm trying to create a grappling-oriented blind 5th level human monk for a 3.5e campaign.. the idea is as usual that he'll be able to pinpoint and fight his foes on the basis of his acute senses.. yet i'm not sure whether i should go with the blindsight 5ft feat, which requires 19 wis but gives a very short distance of effectiveness, or with the 'hear the unseen' feat (which makes it necessary to make a listen check with 25 DC to pinpoint all foes within 30ft, thus in need of investing max points to listening and probably also skill focus feat on listening..
will appreciate comments

nedz
2012-11-30, 02:09 PM
You probably need both.
Hear the unseen still gives you a miss chance, although you will know which square they are in. Blindfight would give you a re-roll on this, but that would still leave 25% of your attacks missing. Blindsense 5' would allow you to ignore the miss chance when you are standing next to them.

There are a number of tricks to increase your listen skill roll too, which you will likely need.

only1doug
2012-12-01, 05:35 AM
Blindsight should be your priority, then get hear the unseen or a decent range of blindsense when you can (so you know where to go to to use your blindsight).

KillianHawkeye
2012-12-01, 09:07 AM
If you have access to Tome of Battle, Hearing the Air is a level 5 Diamond Mind stance that grants 30ft. blindsense and +5 on Listen checks. Unfortunately, due to the way Initiator Level progresses for non-ToB classes, you won't be able to get it until really late unless you drop Monk in favor of Swordsage or Warblade.

Clistenes
2012-12-01, 09:50 AM
If you have access to Tome of Battle, Hearing the Air is a level 5 Diamond Mind stance that grants 30ft. blindsense and +5 on Listen checks. Unfortunately, due to the way Initiator Level progresses for non-ToB classes, you won't be able to get it until really late unless you drop Monk in favor of Swordsage or Warblade.

Warblades and Swordsages make better kung-fu martial artists than Monks, anyway. But I think he could just take the Shadow Sun Ninja prestige class, which is focused toward Monks.

Anyway, I think he couldn't take Hearing the Air until he reaches Monk 4 / Shadow Sun Ninja 7, so he would need Blind-fight and/or Hear the Unseen for the low and mid levels.

Rubik
2012-12-01, 10:55 AM
What if you take the Item Familiar feat, with one of the powers it gains being Synesthete (www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/synesthete.htm) at will? Make it a dukar hand coral (1,600 gp, from Champions of Valor [add another bonus to boost it over 2k] -- implant the item in your hand, and it gives you enhanced natural healing, bonuses to holding your breath, and limited regeneration). That way you can feel the very light on your skin. How's that for boosting your senses?

Add Touchsight (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/touchsight.htm) when you get the chance.