PDA

View Full Version : eye of the beholder

leegi0n
2012-11-30, 02:37 PM
So, if you kill a beholder, cut out its main eye and wear it around your neck like Flava' Flav', will the antimagic field still work?

Sylvos330
2012-11-30, 02:39 PM
I'd rule it in your favor as long as you had the Heads Up feat.

lunar2
2012-11-30, 02:44 PM
if you had the craft wondrous item feat, and spent the gold and XP to make a continuous AMF item, sure. in fact, i'll be generous and call the beholder eye a power component, and give you half off on the XP cost.

but if you just cut out the eye and wear it, no.

Alabenson
2012-11-30, 02:47 PM
No, but it would give you a +4 circumstance bonuse to freak the hell out of people.

HunterColt22
2012-11-30, 02:50 PM
Sure, if you can cut off the eye, have the gold, xp, and have yourself or someone else do a heal check to see if it can be used in that manner, or if you have no clue to transpose the effect you want. then again, I also played in a game where after a long and annoying fight with one, my warforged scout proceeded to kick one of the now dead Beholder's eye stalk. Thank god for high reflex saves. :smallbiggrin:

leegi0n
2012-11-30, 02:51 PM
You sure....?

I mean, it worked for Medusa/Perseus, right?

Alabenson
2012-11-30, 02:55 PM
You sure....?

Just because something worked in a myth does not necessarily mean it will work in a game that contains elements losely based off of that myth.

leegi0n
2012-11-30, 03:14 PM
Just because something worked in a myth does not necessarily mean it will work in a game that contains elements losely based off of that myth.

But....it usually does

Urpriest
2012-11-30, 04:51 PM
But....it usually does

I can't think of many examples, really. And usually they're explicitly called out. I mean, if you can't even do this sort of thing with Medusa, expecting it to work with a creature from a completely different mythos is a bit odd.

Clistenes
2012-11-30, 05:37 PM
Take a chunk of the Beholder, make a Simulacrum, PaO it into an Eyeball beholderkin, and carry THAT around. The antimagic cone would work just the same (it is Charisma-dependant, and the Charisma of the monster doesn't change when polymorphed), and you could order it to move on its own or to close it's eye when you don't need the antimagic cone.

Plus it would keep four of the ten eye rays, which would be a nice bonus (keep the disintegrating ray, and use it to make tunnels, best dungeon-cracking tool ever!; keep the petrifying ray, and use it to keep and carry prisioners)

Tantaburs
2012-11-30, 08:23 PM
The real question is would you know true beauty?

Arcanist
2012-11-30, 08:26 PM
The real question is would you know true beauty?

Well considering that it would wreck any magically created disguise (ya know, all the good ones) yes. You would most definitely know true beauty. :smalltongue:

leegi0n
2012-12-01, 10:17 AM
I can't think of many examples, really. And usually they're explicitly called out. I mean, if you can't even do this sort of thing with Medusa, expecting it to work with a creature from a completely different mythos is a bit odd.

Kratos did it and Kratos is a god. LOL!

Sylvos330
2012-12-01, 11:19 AM
You would need a generous DM but you may be able to pull it off using the Heads Up feat from DR 328. It was written up with Kratos in mind.

nedz
2012-12-01, 11:26 AM
What you really want is to graft it into your forehead.:smalltongue:
I'm sure it would look pretty.

Debihuman
2012-12-01, 11:27 AM
I would imagine it would be difficult to kill a beholder without damaging the central eye.

Debby

Jerthanis
2012-12-01, 11:58 AM
You sure....?

You're free to do whatever you want with your game. You could take inspiration from old myths and allow dismembered body parts or legendary action to substitute for the standard D&D magic shop syndrome in the acquisition of these magic items. You could have your PCs slay a dragon, and their sword pierces their fire-sack thingy and having been coated in the flame of a still-living dragon, it becomes a Flaming Burst sword in addition to its old characteristics.

Just recognize that these weapons and magic items have monetary values representing their treasure value, so you don't put an Antimagic Sphere item in the hoard of Kobolds, and so when you do put it in a Beholder's hoard, you don't also include stacks and stacks of gold there too.