PDA

View Full Version : Fixing magic in core: 1st level spells

Zelkon
2012-11-30, 09:11 PM
Well, I feel like it's a good time to make some easy changes to 3.5 magic to make it a bit more comprehensible and good for a game with lower tier characters. This isn't going to be a huge overhaul, just a nice compilation of spell fixes.
So, here's the goal:
Make buffing better: It's already good, but lets make some of the personal spells like polymorph et all a good option to cast on the fighter.
Keep the current mechanics: No overarching changes will be made.
Keep the fun: See the Polymorph update by the Giant. Polymorph is still an awesome spell, just less powerful. Every spell should have just as much awe-effect as before.
And as a side goal:
Make damage a decent option.

So, let's start with first and 0th level.
Sor/Wiz
Abj: Nothing much needed here, although I think alarm should just default to 8 hours, enough time for a rest.
Conjuration: Very good at first level. Grease, of course, needs to be fixed, and I think Mage Armor and Shield could be used as buffs instead of personal effects.
Div: Can't we just roll Tongues into Comprehend Languages? When is the last time this has been a problem? True Strike could be made to be a buff
Ench: Charm Person is quite overpowered. Needs to grant bonus on diplomacy or something. Sleep is way too good for its level, but doesn't scale.
Evoc: Needs better scaling all around.
Illusion: Nothing really here.
Necromancy: Ray of Enfeeblement is way better than most anything at this level.
Trans: Actually nothing. Good buffing here.

So, what's your take?

Garryl
2012-11-30, 09:34 PM
Just to note, Polymorph and Mage Armor are already touch spells (not personal). Mage Armor does have the issue of not stacking with the mundane equipment that everyone else (other than the Monk) already has.