PDA

View Full Version : Time-Affecting Prestige Class?

krlsmnk
2012-11-30, 11:02 PM
Friends of mine have mentioned a prestige class that gains steady control over the timestream as it levels up.

As a player my curiosity is peaked.

As a DM unable to find the source and prepare, I am frightened.

Can anyone confirm/deny the existence of such a PrC? If it exists, what is it called and what source does it hail from?

Thanks in advance,

~Karl

VGLordR2
2012-11-30, 11:18 PM
I think you're looking for the Zerth Cenobite, from Complete Psionic. That's the only time manipulation class that I can think of.

Cirrylius
2012-11-30, 11:22 PM
Huh. I wonder if they knew what the contemporary meaning of cenobite was.

The Glyphstone
2012-11-30, 11:27 PM
Huh. I wonder if they knew what the contemporary meaning of cenobite was.

The Hellraiser ones? According to dictionaries, it's just another word for 'Monk', a type of monk that lived in commune-style groups.

Jeff the Green
2012-11-30, 11:34 PM
There's also the swiftblade (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/prc/20070327).

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2012-12-01, 12:09 AM
As a DM unable to find the source and prepare, I am frightened.

I wouldn't worry too much about Zerth Cenobite. It's an 'up one tier' prestige class, but to qualify you have to take Monk 3 (tier 5) or Archivist 4 (tier 1, but no synergy and multiclassing will only bring it down). Compare its abilities to a Psion, Erudite, Ardent, etc. who can use Time Hop (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/timeHop.htm), Temporal Acceleration (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/temporalAcceleration.htm), Mass Time Hop (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/timeHopMass.htm), and Time Regression (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/timeRegression.htm), and you'll wonder why anyone would even consider taking Zerth Cenobite.

eggs
2012-12-01, 12:46 AM
I believe the Chronorebel from Hyperconscious is OGC, so this (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=11553437&postcount=31) should be a legit post/link. It's third party, but the same author as the base Psionics system, so one of the more commonly-accepted 3rd party books around.

Rizban
2012-12-01, 05:30 AM
There's also Planar Shepherd if you choose a plane with time traits.

The Dark Fiddler
2012-12-01, 08:48 AM
The only other cases I can think of would be Eternal Blade from Tome of Battle (which only really has one ability that, if I remember correctly, grants it an extra full action) or Ruby Knight Vindicator from the same book which can spend turning attempts to gain extra actions, but that doesn't really have the fluff of time manipulation.

Slipperychicken
2012-12-01, 11:40 AM
Ask for the source. It may well be DanDWiki.

Remember, friends don't let friends use DanDWiki.

Rizban
2012-12-02, 08:45 PM
Remember, friends don't let friends use DanDWiki.If I could click like on GitP posts, I would click this one.

LTwerewolf
2012-12-02, 09:55 PM
If I could click like on GitP posts, I would click this one.

A lot of people would.

herrhauptmann
2012-12-03, 12:54 AM
Ask for the source. It may well be DanDWiki.

Remember, friends don't let friends use DanDWiki.

A lot of people would.
+1
Yeah, I'm in a pbp where one character is made with a lot of wiki feats and flaws. Including a flaw so devastatingly powerful that it grants two feats. The flaw can be negated by a DC20 will save, if I remember reading his sheet right.

Rizban
2012-12-03, 01:08 AM
I think my favorite overpowered flaw is from Dragon Magazine. I will always allow a character to take it. The flaw? Dead.

"You're dead, but, hey, you gain an extra feat."

Slipperychicken
2012-12-03, 01:32 AM
I think my favorite overpowered flaw is from Dragon Magazine. I will always allow a character to take it. The flaw? Dead.

"You're dead, but, hey, you gain an extra feat."

Necropolitan. That is all.

Rizban
2012-12-03, 01:39 AM
There's a problem with Necropolitan.

Flaws have to be taken at first level, meaning you're dead from game start.

Necropolitan is an acquired template. You have to acquire it "after" character generation. Flaws apply first, preventing necropolitan.

Finally, if you do find some rules quirk to keep you alive long enough to perform the crucimigration, you're still only first level.
(If the subject
has no levels to lose, it is simply destroyed.)Since you can't be level zero, you're destroyed.

eggs
2012-12-03, 01:59 AM
brb adding "you can assume a new flaw" skill trick to dandwiki

Rizban
2012-12-03, 02:30 AM
But don't skill tricks end at the end of the turn (or sooner) and only work for that one combat?

So, the skill trick would allow you to pick up on flaw and bonus feat for one turn. Well, being dead for a turn and then coming back could have some interesting effects on play.

Socratov
2012-12-03, 02:58 AM
But don't skill tricks end at the end of the turn (or sooner) and only work for that one combat?

So, the skill trick would allow you to pick up on flaw and bonus feat for one turn. Well, being dead for a turn and then coming back could have some interesting effects on play.

hehe, you could play a possum :smallamused:

or be a certain individual who exists in religion (and this is as far as I will go :smallredface::smalleek:)

combine it with bluff to tell people you have a permanencied True Resurrection on self which works even in antimagic fields... Zone of truth that one... :smallbiggrin:

Killer Angel
2012-12-03, 05:57 AM

The GitP version of the "like" button, is to add a quote to your sig. :smallwink:

Rizban
2012-12-03, 07:25 AM
The GitP version of the "like" button, is to add a quote to your sig. :smallwink:

Except that I use my sig for information on my "mmo" D&D game. Also, I find cluttered sigs really distract me from the posts and just end up disabling the globally. Disabling sigs has led to me being able to post from my phone much, much easier.

I do not, however, disable the adverts on this site.

Killer Angel
2012-12-03, 07:42 AM
Except that I use my sig for information on my "mmo" D&D game. Also, I find cluttered sigs really distract me from the posts and just end up disabling the globally.

Well, mine did not want to be a suggestion, just an observation. :smallredface:

Rizban
2012-12-03, 07:56 AM
I realized that. I just was posting my own opinion on the matter. :smalltongue:

Psyren
2012-12-03, 09:02 AM
I can't recommend Zerth Cenobite. Aside from literally being able to punch somebody into next week, the class is pretty terrible, though it at least beats staying in Monk.

I believe the Chronorebel from Hyperconscious is OGC, so this (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=11553437&postcount=31) should be a legit post/link. It's third party, but the same author as the base Psionics system, so one of the more commonly-accepted 3rd party books around.

Hyperconscious is indeed OGL, at least according to my copy.

You don't need Chronorebel to be a time-psion - the base class can jump forwards and backwards in time (with the party) just fine on its own - but it definitely solidifies the concept and has some cool tricks.

Dusk Eclipse
2012-12-03, 09:14 AM
There's a problem with Necropolitan.

Flaws have to be taken at first level, meaning you're dead from game start.

Necropolitan is an acquired template. You have to acquire it "after" character generation. Flaws apply first, preventing necropolitan.

Finally, if you do find some rules quirk to keep you alive long enough to perform the crucimigration, you're still only first level. Since you can't be level zero, you're destroyed.

Technically Flaws are gained during character creation as per this quote here:

A player may select up to two flaws when creating a character so if you are starting a higher level you could theoretically gain the corpse flaw and be a necropolitan.

herrhauptmann
2012-12-03, 09:28 AM
Technically Flaws are gained during character creation as per this quote here:
so if you are starting a higher level you could theoretically gain the corpse flaw and be a necropolitan.

I believe the flaws section of UA actually says you can 'gain' flaws later in life (higher level). Of course, you're still restricted to level 1 feats I think.

Psyren
2012-12-03, 10:15 AM
I believe the flaws section of UA actually says you can 'gain' flaws later in life (higher level). Of course, you're still restricted to level 1 feats I think.

It does, but refers to the Traits section, which suggests to the DM that such a "late-in-life" flaw should be the result of consistent RP leading up to that point, or a traumatic/life-changing event (e.g. dying and being raised.) So while all flaws require DM approval, getting them this way is encouraged to be more difficult for the player.

Rizban
2012-12-03, 10:36 AM
I think being killed and not brought back to life merits gaining the Dead flaw, don't you think?

Of course, getting raised or animated as undead means you're no longer Dead and lose the flaw and bonus feat. :smalltongue:

Slipperychicken
2012-12-03, 10:39 AM
It does, but refers to the Traits section, which suggests to the DM that such a "late-in-life" flaw should be the result of consistent RP leading up to that point, or a traumatic/life-changing event (e.g. dying and being raised.) So while all flaws require DM approval, getting them this way is encouraged to be more difficult for the player.

The Ritual of Crucimigration (to become a Necropolitan) involves being essentially crucified (nailed to a pole by cursed nails) in "excuciating pain like molten metal" for 24 hours. I'd say that's pretty traumatic. :smalltongue:

You could always say your character attained level 2, then performed the Ritual, exactly enough to bring him back to level 1 with zero XP. If there was any spare XP, say he donated it to science magical studies or something.

navar100
2012-12-03, 10:43 AM
I remember in 2E there was a psionic power that created a time bubble. Every one round inside the bubble was 10 rounds outside the bubble. The power point cost depended on if you were inside or outside the bubble. I never saw it in use to know how it plays out. It never made it into a 3E power.

The Glyphstone
2012-12-03, 11:01 AM
I remember in 2E there was a psionic power that created a time bubble. Every one round inside the bubble was 10 rounds outside the bubble. The power point cost depended on if you were inside or outside the bubble. I never saw it in use to know how it plays out. It never made it into a 3E power.

Sounds like the Planar Bubble of a Planar Shepherd druid devoted to a fast-time-trait plane.

Psyren
2012-12-03, 11:06 AM
There's also a Planar Bubble spell in SpC. Unfortunately, it only creates a bubble with the traits of the target's native plane, so you'll also need a creature (likely a summon) that hails from a fast-time place of origin.

Rizban
2012-12-03, 01:49 PM

It's now called Planar Shepherd.