PDA

View Full Version : Highest Wisdon for a VoP Halfling

cowsay
2012-11-30, 11:05 PM
How high can you get a Vow of Poverty halfling druid's wisdom? This is the character I get to play for an upcoming campaign. I have decided to dedicate this character to getting as high wisdom as possible--since I cannot acquire wealth or magic items.

All Wizards published materials are game and assume that I've rolled an 18 for wisdom to start.

Thanks for your help.

Gavinfoxx
2012-12-01, 12:13 AM
Well, Druid is one of the classes that can take the nerf that VoP gives you, with just a grunt and a 'hit me again!'

Unfortunately, most of the ways of increasing wisdom require race changes, templates, or magic items.

Out of curiosity, why PHB halfling, and why VoP?

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2012-12-01, 12:21 AM
It would probably involve being venerable age, gaining the saint template, buying off the level adjustment (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/races/reducingLevelAdjustments.htm), and gradually gaining (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/arch/sp) and buying off multiple other templates that give Wisdom bonuses. Plus the standard +1 per four levels, getting someone to Wish/Miracle you for +5, and putting the highest VoP bonus on there.

roguemetal
2012-12-01, 10:08 AM
Venerable Age + Saint + Tome sets the base.

DMM Persisted through Sacred Exorcist of just as cast spells if you don't want Uber cheese.
Owl's Insight + Maximized Owl's Wisdom

For continuation go Fohlucan Lyricist, or some other class to gain these spells and persist these as well.
Greater Consumptive Field + Greater Visage of Deity

Your Wisdom should be over 40 with the first two options, over 50 with all... not calculating right now.

Hand_of_Vecna
2012-12-01, 11:20 AM
You can't use Tomes wit VoP by default, that would be spending money for your benefit. You could use them on a character built at a level where they could afford tomes then go VoP, you just have to balance the Wis gain vs. the feats you don't gain by entering VoP late and your DM's cheese meter since your "workin' the system". This was my breaking point for throwing my hands up in the air and shouting "VoP doesn't work".

Edit: Owl's Wisdom is enhancment and therefore doesn't stack with the "free" plus from VoP.

toapat
2012-12-01, 12:33 PM
You can't use Tomes wit VoP by default, that would be spending money for your benefit. You could use them on a character built at a level where they could afford tomes then go VoP, you just have to balance the Wis gain vs. the feats you don't gain by entering VoP late and your DM's cheese meter since your "workin' the system". This was my breaking point for throwing my hands up in the air and shouting "VoP doesn't work".

um, have you looked at Exaulted Feats? its nearly a dealbreaker at lvl 18 to take VoP, let alone lvl 1. Even if you are going for the Saint Template. needing to take them, is not needing exaulted feats that do nothing for you

also, you dont need tomes to get Wish's inherent +5 bonus. You just need a Wizard friend who is willing to knock you unconcious then spam wish on you.

Also, Miracle, unlike wish, gives +1 increase to the base attribute (unless they errata'd that), so technically if you could train miracle onto your druid spell list, you can have infinite wisdom, by gaining +3+ wisdom/day

Douglas
2012-12-01, 03:16 PM
Also, Miracle, unlike wish, gives +1 increase to the base attribute (unless they errata'd that), so technically if you could train miracle onto your druid spell list, you can have infinite wisdom, by gaining +3+ wisdom/day
Actually, increasing ability scores isn't on Miracle's list of possible effects at all. The main reason it's commonly added by house rule is that Miracle is an alternative to Wish for the spell prerequisite to make the Tomes and Manuals, which give inherent bonuses just like Wish does.

Jack_Simth
2012-12-01, 03:36 PM
Venerable Age + Saint + Tome sets the base.

DMM Persisted through Sacred Exorcist of just as cast spells if you don't want Uber cheese.
Owl's Insight + Maximized Owl's Wisdom

For continuation go Fohlucan Lyricist, or some other class to gain these spells and persist these as well.
Greater Consumptive Field + Greater Visage of Deity

Your Wisdom should be over 40 with the first two options, over 50 with all... not calculating right now.
... GCF is an [Evil] spell. As a good-aligned (Vow of Poverty requirement) divine caster, it's not an option. Likewise, you can't use the Tomes as a Vow of Poverty character - you can probably convince someone to cast Wish for you a few times eventually, however, or find a way to get access to them and have it done that way.

So:
At 20th:
18 Base, +5 Inherent, +3 Venerable (after Druid-15, you don't take penalties from aging anymore, but still get the bonuses), +8 VoP bonus, +10 Owl's Insight (CL 20), +4 Greater Visage of the Deity, +2 (LA buyoff on some template that increases Wis, such as Saint)=50.

cowsay
2012-12-01, 07:34 PM
Out of curiosity, why PHB halfling, and why VoP?

Not my choice. The DM had us select folders and this is what I drew. I have no complaints; he's a good DM. I'm just trying to make it interesting for myself. I'm stuck with race, class, and this feat.

So far, we're up to 50--though I'm not sure how I'd get Greater Visage of the Deity on a regular basis. (Those wishes, I suppose are possible through roleplaying, which could be fun.)

ShriekingDrake
2012-12-11, 02:13 PM
Looks like you're stuck around 50. There are, of course, races that will let you get it higher, but halflings aren't known for their superior wisdom. VoP while helping you out over there the lawn haul is likely to be a hinderance. I think you'll be doing quite well with a druid, nonetheless.