PDA

View Full Version : Living Spell Arcanist (PRC)

Gralamin
2006-10-28, 11:34 AM
One of the coolest things in Eberron is Living spells, And Why shouldn’t you be able to have one?

Living Spell Arcanist
After the expedition, are Wizard was permanently warped by the Mournland. He had seen living spells and become obsessed with creating them. He’s been in his lab for weeks now, and everyone is to afraid to enter…

Living Spell Arcanist’s has the unique ability to create living spells.

D4 HD

Requirements
To qualify to become a Living Spell Arcanist, you must fulfill all the following criteria:
Class Feature: Familiar.
Feats: Craft Construct
Skills: Spellcraft 10 Ranks, Knowledge (Arcana) 10 ranks
Spells: Must be able to cast level Four spells.
Special: Must have come in contact with a living spell

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d176/Salir/LSArcanist.png

Class features
Weapon and Armor Proficiency
You gain no additional weapon or armor proficiencies.

Spellcasting
Whenever you gain a new level in Living Spell Arcanist (not including First, Second or Thrid), you gain new spells per day and spells known as if you had also gained a level in whatever arcane spellcasting class in which he you cast 4th-level spells before adding on the prestige class level. You do not, however, gain any other benefit a character of that class would have gained.

Ritual of the First Spell
Upon entering this class, you use a ritual to transform your familiar into a living, 0-level spell. You must do this before you can continue on in the class. This requires a three hour ritual, in which you must spend 1000 gold pieces in order to accomplish. Upon Completion your Familiar is now a living spell under your command. This spell does not count for the classes other abilities.

Spell Charm (su)
You are capable of making a spell charm, an item for which you use as a base of a living spell for the first few days.
To create a Spell Charm for a particular spell, you must pay a cost of Your Caster Level * The Spell Level * 500 gp + 50 * The Spells XP cost. And then you must pay an XP cost of 1/25 the price. The spell must have duration longer then instant.
After you have the Spell Charm, you may cast the spell on it, and it will create a living spell. Over the course of Five days the charm will break, while the spell reaches maturity. After five days the spell becomes a fully formed living spell, and the charm breaks.(See the Eberron Campaign Setting for the living spell template)
This Charm cannot be used with any sort of antimagic spell or polymorph spell. See the living Spell Template for more details on allowed spells.
The Charm Uses up a spell slot for the five days the spell is being made, and then 5 days after that.

Living Spell Level Max
You can control living spells of power up to level one spells. Every level, this power increases by one. For the purposes of multiple living spells, you may instead have two spells of this spell level minus two or three spells of this spell level minus three. If a living spell exceeds this max, a randomly determined living spell escapes your control, generally causing chaos.

Spell Control
You may control one living spell not including your familiar. If you create more spells then the amount you can control, a random spell escapes your control. The number of spells you can control increases to Two at level 6, and Three at level 10.

Questions? Comments? Balance factors?

InaVegt
2006-10-28, 11:55 AM
So, let me check, you can create 9th level living spells before you can cast 8th level spells?

((My math: 4 X 2 - 1 = 7, 7 + 7 = 14, (14 +1) / 2 = 7.5))

Gralamin
2006-10-28, 11:57 AM
Yes however, You can still make 2 level 7 Living spells instead. You cannot create a living spell without the necessary spell slot.

InaVegt
2006-10-28, 12:08 PM
Okay, some more serious analyzing then.

The familiar part sounds too expensive, a 0th level living spell isn't worth 1000 gp, I mean building a 1st level living spells costs 500 gp and 20 exp (worth 100 gp) unless you give it a high CL. Otherwise it seems balanced to me.

Were-Sandwich
2006-10-28, 12:18 PM
I dont think any cantrips are eligible for the Living Spell template are they? I could be wrong, but...

Gralamin
2006-10-28, 12:18 PM
But this living spell replaces your familiar, and you do not take xp Lost from it. Perhaps adjusting to 750 gp?

^ I'm not sure I'll check, but A living prestidigitation would be priceless.

It looks like ghost sound would work, Dancing lights, Perhaps Detect magic. May be others.

Fizban
2006-10-31, 01:23 AM
The living spell template is generall meant for attack spells, and you could easily have a living acid splash/ray or frost/electric jolt. Prestidigitation cannot target other people, and so theoretically couldn't be a living spell. However, as the template is really more a set of guidlines.....

As for balance, I haven't a clue.

Gralamin
2006-10-31, 07:16 PM
Chances are that I'll have to have a playtest of it to really get a good idea.