PDA

View Full Version : New spells: Blaze Trail and Carve Road

Packbat
2012-12-01, 12:54 AM
So, I was talking to my DM (Tom Beigel, if anyone else here is from the MD area) about the book Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell, and how, after Jonathan Strange attaches himself to Wellington's army, he ends up aiding them by creating magical roads. Whereupon it occurred to us that, while there are Wall of [insert material here] spells and the like, there aren't really any spells suited to creating a road of any significant length.

The following is our attempt to remedy this lack. Most of the text is mine, but many details come from Tom or others in our D&D group. That said, I don't have an especial attachment to a word of this, and would be thrilled to tear them to pieces to build something better from the wreckage. :smallsmile:

So, without further ado, the two spells.

Blaze Trail
Transmutation [Earth]
Level: Cleric 3, druid 2, Nature 2, ranger 2, sorcerer/wizard 3
Components: V, S, F
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Personal
Target: You
Duration: 1 hour/level (D)

This spell moves earth, rocks, plants, and branches to create a five-foot-wide path ahead of the caster at up to their ground-based move speed. If the caster is moving faster than this speed, the effect of the spell is suppressed until they slow. Within the following restrictions, this path is level from side to side, dry, well-packed, and free of potholes, vegetation, and protruding rocks and tree roots, as well as being clear of branches and hanging foliage to a height of ten feet. This path may be projected in front of the caster up to 5 ft/4 caster levels.

The reshaping of the terrain that this spell performs is limited to the movement of the top layer of soil, rocks not larger than four inches in diameter, and branches, roots, and trunks not larger than four inches in diameter. Entire plants affected by this spell will be generally displaced to one side of the trail; overhanging branches will be cut and dropped to one side; roots will either be buried or be cut and dropped. If the desired path cuts across standing water less than an inch deep, the water will be displaced; if it cuts across a stream less than four inches deep or standing water between one and six inches deep, the path will be submerged but safe to walk on. Deeper water, larger trees, and larger rocks block the creation of a trail, and must be routed around.

If there is snow on the ground, but less than two inches, the snow is cleared to either side. If there is between two and twelve inches, the spell will create a trail as normal under the snow and leave the snow hard-packed on top of it. If there is more than twelve inches, the spell will carve the trail out of snow and leave the ground underneath unaffected.

At eighth caster level, the caster may use this spell while riding a ground-based mount at its movement speed.

At twelfth level, the caster may use this spell while flying, but must remain within the ten-foot height of the spell.

This spell may be used in conjunction with Find the Path or Locate Object. A caster who does so may use the focus for this spell as the focus for the other. Otherwise, this spell provides no guidance.

Focus: A machete, hatchet, sickle, or other blade appropriate for clearing underbrush.

Carve Road
Conjuration [Creation]
Level: Cleric 5, druid 5, Nature 5, ranger 5, sorcerer/wizard 5
Components: V, S, M
Casting Time: Up to 1 hour/caster level
Range: Special (see text)
Target: Special (see text)
Duration: Instantaneous

The caster spends the casting time of this spell marking the intended route of the road and any significant obstacles to its path with arcane sigils. At the end of the casting time of the spell, they roll a caster level plus attribute modifier check (1d20 + attribute modifier + caster level) to determine the degree of success or failure; the difficulty of the check is 15 plus the following modifiers:

{table=head]
Condition |
DC Mod

{colsp=2}
Move Speed

Half base or less | -5
Half up to base | +0
Base up to 1.5x | +5
1.5x up to 2x | +10

{colsp=2}
Terrain

Open, level fields | -5
Hills & valleys | +0
Creeks & rivulets | +5
Sparse forest | +0
Dense forest | +5
Jungle or swamp | +10
Mountains | +5
Streams and ponds | +5
Rivers and lakes | +10

{colsp=2}
Interference

Undisturbed | -5
Natural wildlife | +0
Dense wildlife | +5
Domesticated herds | +5
Subtle or hasty sabotage | +5
Thorough sabotage | +10

{colsp=2}
Miscellaneous

5 ranks Knowledge (Architecture/Engineering) | -2
[/table]

Definitions:
Creeks and rivulets are flows of water small enough to be jumped or stepped over.
Streams and ponds are flows or bodies of water shallow enough to be easily waded across - not more than 4 inches deep for flowing water and not more than 6 inches deep for still.
Rivers and lakes are larger bodies of water.
Hasty sabotage requires at least 1 full round spent damaging the symbols marking the path.
Subtle sabotage requires at least 10 minutes spent altering one or more arcane symbols in ways hard to detect.
Thorough sabotage requires at least 10 minutes spent destroying the symbols on some section of the path.

The effects of the spell shall be as follows, depending on the result of the caster level check:

{table=head]
Roll vs. DC |
Outcome

If failed by more than 5 | The spell fizzles, and no path is created.
If failed by up to 5 | A dirt road is created from the endpoint back to the nearest interruption.
If passed by less than 5 | A dirt road is created for the entire length.
If passed by 5 to 9 | A well-shaped gravel road is created.
If passed by 10 to 14 | A stone road is created, with wooden bridges over rivulets, boggy ground, and creeks and good fords through larger bodies of water. The stone road is supported by a solid foundation of gravel, clay, and sand, like a Roman road.
If passed by 15 to 20 | A stone road is created with stone culverts for creeks and rivulets and simple wooden bridges over larger bodies of water.
If passed by more than 20 | A stone road is created with stone culverts and stone bridges, marked with milestones, and equipped with regular mounting-blocks for riders.
[/table]

All roads created shall be 10 feet wide with 20 feet of overhead clearance for the entire width. The "dirt road" described above is constructed as per Blaze Trail, save for the aforementioned dimensions. The stone road is formed to lie at or within a few inches of the prior ground level of the terrain it passes through; while bumps are smoothed out, slopes are unaffected. (If, for example, switchbacks are desired to reduce the grade of the road, the initial marking of the road must include these switchbacks.)

Material Component: 100 gp of crushed gemstones per mile, used in the marking of the road.

Garryl
2012-12-01, 02:06 AM
I like these spells. They are the kind of spells that add to how magic interacts with the world (as opposed to just combat and conflicts).

For Blaze Trail, if you stop every 5 feet to turn left and right, would the trail extend out to the sides as well (as per extending in front of the caster a distance based on CL, but facing and moving slightly to a side so as to make the front momentarily be perpendicular to the traveled path)? Any suggestions on how much additional time this would take? Certainly no more than triple, and probably a bit less (triple being if for every 5 feet of forward movement, you also took 5 feet or movement to the left and back to the right immediately afterwards before continuing on).

For Carve Road, the 5 ranks in K(A&E) should apply as a +2 bonus to your check, not a -2 penalty to the DC. The path isn't any harder to carve, you're just better at doing it.

Which ability modifier do you use on the check? I'd assume your primary spellcasting ability modifier, but it doesn't say. Also, the term is "ability modifier", not attribute.

If your path crosses multiple terrain types or impediments, you should clarify whether or not the modifiers stack or only the highest of each category applies.

Rather than having a variable check against a variable DC with a variable result based on the difference, how about instead a table of DCs (10, 15, 20, 25, 30, 35), each of which has the various effects as currently described, and you pick which one that you've succeeded on to use.

Note that a character who works in 0.99 mile increments pays no material component costs for Carve Road under the current wording. I'd suggest adding an initial 100g cost on top to account for rounding (similar to how Forbidance costs 1500g + 1500g per 60' cube).

Packbat
2012-12-01, 02:36 AM
I like these spells. They are the kind of spells that add to how magic interacts with the world (as opposed to just combat and conflicts).
Thanks!

For Blaze Trail, if you stop every 5 feet to turn left and right, would the trail extend out to the sides as well (as per extending in front of the caster a distance based on CL, but facing and moving slightly to a side so as to make the front momentarily be perpendicular to the traveled path)?
I don't think it would work the way you intend - remember, Blaze Trail throws debris to either side to clear the trail. The new 5ft cleared would wreck the previous 5ft. (The spell doesn't play nice with adjacent trails!)

Any suggestions on how much additional time this would take? Certainly no more than triple, and probably a bit less (triple being if for every 5 feet of forward movement, you also took 5 feet or movement to the left and back to the right immediately afterwards before continuing on).
I think it would end up being around triple, if it worked. Remember, you're constantly stopping and turning - it's not a natural gait, and the spell as written I think requires some concentration.

For Carve Road, the 5 ranks in K(A&E) should apply as a +2 bonus to your check, not a -2 penalty to the DC. The path isn't any harder to carve, you're just better at doing it.
Fair enough. (Should ranks in Survival or Knowledge (Nature) affect the check, by the way?)

Which ability modifier do you use on the check? I'd assume your primary spellcasting ability modifier, but it doesn't say. Also, the term is "ability modifier", not attribute.
Right, of course.

If your path crosses multiple terrain types or impediments, you should clarify whether or not the modifiers stack or only the highest of each category applies.
I think highest in each category. (Also, creeks should probably be less than streams - perhaps +2?)

Rather than having a variable check against a variable DC with a variable result based on the difference, how about instead a table of DCs (10, 15, 20, 25, 30, 35), each of which has the various effects as currently described, and you pick which one that you've succeeded on to use.
So that you may intentionally produce a less sophisticated road? That's fine - I don't think it will change things in most cases, obviously.

Note that a character who works in 0.99 mile increments pays no material component costs for Carve Road under the current wording. I'd suggest adding an initial 100g cost on top to account for rounding (similar to how Forbidance costs 1500g + 1500g per 60' cube).
Sure - and that encourages people to build longer if they can, rather than dawdle seeking the bonus on the check.

Debihuman
2012-12-01, 10:31 AM
Blaze trail, I like because it doesn't leave a permanent trail. It still disrupts the wildlife but not permanently. Still, I am not fond of throwing baby squirrels out of trees when this spell is cast.

Carve road, on the other hand, is instantaneous and thus permanent. I want to like this spell. I can see practical uses for it. I also see it as potentially game-breaking.

First, it has economy-breaking implications. It is far too cheap at 100 gp per mile. At that price, a kingdom could have paved roads far too easily and cheaply even setting up toll gates to defray the cost they would incur. 100 gp for a mile of road is dirt cheap. Forget having to hire laborers to build roads, this makes it ridiculously easy. The price needs to be increased. At 5,280 gp per mile, it's still a bargain. That's 1 gp per 1 foot of road. See how much building a keep will cost and you'll see what I mean.

Unlike a world where open spaces are free for the taking, in a more typical D&D world, those spaces are often occupied by monsters that view the PCs as interlopers at best and foes at worst. There would be a lot of disintegrated roads if only it didn't take a year and a half to disintegrate a mile of road. [a single casting of disintegrate destroys one 10-foot cube of road a mile of road takes 528 castings, you do the math].

How many miles should one casting be able to handle? Up to 1. Yeah, that's it. You want more miles, fork up the crushed gems and cast it again.

Just my 2 cents.

Debby

Packbat
2012-12-01, 12:36 PM
Blaze trail, I like because it doesn't leave a permanent trail. It still disrupts the wildlife but not permanently. Still, I am not fond of throwing baby squirrels out of trees when this spell is cast.
I didn't think of that! I'm trying to figure how you would make it less careless - I don't think Druids or Rangers would want to be wrecking nests indiscriminately.

Aside: the trail isn't exactly impermanent - I mean, after you leave, it'll probably wash out and get overgrown, but it doesn't dissipate at the end of the duration.

Carve road, on the other hand, is instantaneous and thus permanent. I want to like this spell. I can see practical uses for it. I also see it as potentially game-breaking.

First, it has economy-breaking implications. It is far too cheap at 100 gp per mile. At that price, a kingdom could have paved roads far too easily and cheaply even setting up toll gates to defray the cost they would incur. 100 gp for a mile of road is dirt cheap. Forget having to hire laborers to build roads, this makes it ridiculously easy. The price needs to be increased. At 5,280 gp per mile, it's still a bargain. That's 1 gp per 1 foot of road. See how much building a keep will cost and you'll see what I mean.
I can do better than that - I looked up how much the Roman roads cost, and the estimate I found was 70 man-months per kilometer - about 110 per mile. At 1-3 sp/day (SRD prices for hirelings) that would run you between 330 and 990 gp per mile in labor alone.

With that comparison? Yeah, 5000 gp doesn't look bad.

How many miles should one casting be able to handle? Up to 1. Yeah, that's it. You want more miles, fork up the crushed gems and cast it again.
That is a thought. And I'm liking it more and more, on reflection - it's still way faster than using picks and shovels and hods full of flat stones, but it makes a major project like a military road still a major project.

Cieyrin
2012-12-01, 01:12 PM

Unlike a world where open spaces are free for the taking, in a more typical D&D world, those spaces are often occupied by monsters that view the PCs as interlopers at best and foes at worst. There would be a lot of disintegrated roads if only it didn't take a year and a half to disintegrate a mile of road. [a single casting of disintegrate destroys one 10-foot cube of road a mile of road takes 528 castings, you do the math].

Just my 2 cents.

Debby

You tend to see less roads in your typical D&D world due to that they tend to take a Points of Light perspective, which isn't necessarily always true, depending on where you are. A moderate nation or city-state would at the very least be able to minimize banditry and roving bands but Points of Light assumes that practically every town is on its own to carve out its influence in the world, making maintaining or even building roads a pain if you can't prevent hostile forces (often seeming like the world in general, the way some campaigns seem to run) from killing your workers or killing you. That seems like deterrent enough, as getting attacked likely would disrupt your casting, making the entire spell fizzle out, the crushed gems going with it. If you can plan accordingly for such contingencies, and have the forces to hold the area that your roads will be going through, why should the DM smash you with the banhammer for thinking things through?

For the spell itself, I think it involves overly much in the way of trying to figure out exactly how far you can get in the casting, as your first opportunity you can cast it limits it to 9 hours, which implies force marching, given you would generally take a break in there and travel is generally done at 8 hour intervals, so there's no consideration of that. Traveling at a normal speed of 30', given there's no consideration for mounts or alternative travel like Blaze Trail, limits you to 2.25 to .75 miles an hour of road you could potentially be Carving across trackless terrain, since that's probably why you'd want to be laying a road. Assuming you Blazed a Trail first, that still only gets you up to 1.5 miles an hour as a minimum. Taking into consideration that you'd probably only want to travel 4 hours per casting and could hold it for that long, not to mention the trouble of getting to a level where you'd want to bother laying roads instead of Blazing Trails everywhere, that's 6-9 miles being laid down, 12-18 a day. Also consider you have to get that crushed gemstones for that 600 to 1800 gp worth of road, not to mention hiring people to keep people off your planned road till its laid, the supplies to keep 'em fed and comfortable so they don't just take it and go drink it away in a tavern and finally consider that that's quite a pretty penny when adventurers more often than not invest in permanent equipment, leaving maybe a quarter to an eighth of their wealth to expendables, which is about 9k a character, provided they want to work on that and it's not like they can take that road with them when they venture elsewhere.

Them's my 2 coppers, take as you will.

Packbat
2012-12-01, 08:20 PM
Still cogitating on it, but I would note that the 1-mile limit has the additional effect of fixing the complexity of calculating distance traversed as well.

Mystra
2012-12-01, 08:35 PM
''Blaze'' trail sounds like it should be more destructive. Easy trail or such might be a better name.

This is not really an [Earth] type spell. While part of the spell does effect dirt and such, the other part of the spell effects plants and even water. In effect, this spell is really more of a specialized version of Telekinesis. So you should drop the [Earth].

You might want a duration of ''special''. As written the spell allows the caster to blaze for one hour a level. Though it's unlikely most casters will blaze more then say eight hours a day. Also as written the trail lasts for one hour a level behind the caster. Though it would get a bit odd as the caster would have a dispersing trail behind them as they walked. And when the spell duration does end, does it return the land 100% back to normal? Do ''cut roots'' reform?

You might want to break up the arcane and divine versions. I see the arcane version as being much more destructive and permanent.

Packbat
2012-12-01, 08:49 PM
''Blaze'' trail sounds like it should be more destructive. Easy trail or such might be a better name.
Trailblazing (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trail_blazing) is a standard term - I can change it if it confuses a lot of people, though.

This is not really an [Earth] type spell. While part of the spell does effect dirt and such, the other part of the spell effects plants and even water. In effect, this spell is really more of a specialized version of Telekinesis. So you should drop the [Earth].
Okay - I don't know a lot about schools of magic, so I was mostly guessing.

You might want a duration of ''special''. As written the spell allows the caster to blaze for one hour a level. Though it's unlikely most casters will blaze more then say eight hours a day. Also as written the trail lasts for one hour a level behind the caster. Though it would get a bit odd as the caster would have a dispersing trail behind them as they walked. And when the spell duration does end, does it return the land 100% back to normal? Do ''cut roots'' reform?
I understand your confusion, but as worded, the spell affects the caster to grant the ability to form a permanent (save for erosion, overgrowth, etc.) path.

Also, the caster can dismiss the spell at any time - that's what the (D) means.

You might want to break up the arcane and divine versions. I see the arcane version as being much more destructive and permanent.
That's something to think about. If I were to, I would probably change the Arcane version to "Cut Path" or something like.