PDA

View Full Version : Critical hits, spell storing, twin spell

Abrahadabra
2012-12-01, 01:04 AM
I was thinking about some interactions between the 3 things in the title and came up with some questions that I couldn't answer well enough.

1. Let's say I find a way of not increasing spell levels with twin spell, for example, Divine Metamagic (twin spell). That means I'm perfectly allowed to twin any 3rd level or lower spell and store it in the weapon, right?

2. If so, let's say the weapon has a x3 crit and I happen to get a critical. That x3 crit transfers to the spell, since the "attack" for the spell is the weapon's? Or does the spell get a "special spell crit" (which would be x2)? Or no crit at all?

3. If the crit applies to the spell, does it apply to the first one, or does the twinned spell get the crit too? I mean, the text seems to affirm that, as the attack roll (and any other variable, or target/area) is applied to both spells, but I don't know how it would be with a spell storing weapon. Would I have to make another attack, a separate touch attack or something?

4. What about spells with various attacks, like a scorching ray? Only the first attack is applied to all 3/6 rays?

So, in the end, if I DMM twin a scorching ray, store it, and get a crit, what is my damage going to be? 72d6 sounds way too overpowered and could be done by some simpleton at lvl 12 or something (probably killing any CR 12 monster not immune to criticals or fire >.>), what am I doing wrong here?

rockdeworld
2012-12-01, 02:11 AM
1. That's correct. DMM allows you to use metamagic on a spell without changing the spell level, and you "cast" spells into a spell-storing weapon to store them. One more use for DMM :smallsmile:

2. Incorrect. Hitting causes the spell to be expended. Getting a crit doesn't affect that.

4. Since hitting with the SS weapon causes the spell to be cast, you must still hit with a ranged touch attack (or whatever the case for the spell in question). The attack roll for the weapon doesn't transfer to the spell.

Assuming you have a medium size +1 SS longsword with a Twinned Scorching Ray (CL 11) stored and you crit, your damage would be:
2d8+2+2*Str, then roll 6 ranged touch attacks and add 4d6 for each hit.

One of the reasons DMM is considered overpowered :smallsmile:

Abrahadabra
2012-12-01, 02:20 AM
1. That's correct. DMM allows you to use metamagic on a spell without changing the spell level, and you "cast" spells into a spell-storing weapon to store them. One more use for DMM :smallsmile:

2. Incorrect. Hitting causes the spell to be expended. Getting a crit doesn't affect that.

4. Since hitting with the SS weapon causes the spell to be cast, you must still hit with a ranged touch attack (or whatever the case for the spell in question). The attack roll for the weapon doesn't transfer to the spell.

Assuming you have a medium size +1 SS longsword with a Twinned Scorching Ray (CL 11) stored and you crit, your damage would be:
2d8+2+2*Str, then roll 6 ranged touch attacks and add 4d6 for each hit.

One of the reasons DMM is considered overpowered :smallsmile:

Thanks!

I assume casting spells through a weapon, as with the Daggercast from Daggerspell Mage, would crit with the weapon's multiplier then? And a drain X ability from a Necrotic Focus weapon?