PDA

View Full Version : Coin with scrying - what level?

Balor01
2012-12-01, 11:38 AM
Hey playground,

Can you guys tell me, what is the lowest possible level, at which one could cast permanent scrying effect (can be Scrying or similar effect) on a coin? What lvl slot could one use (lowest?)

Generally what level caster would one need and how high level slot should one use?

thanks

nedz
2012-12-01, 12:15 PM
It's not permanent, but it is popular today.

Listening Coin [SpC] Bard 3
Turns the coin into a bugging device.
Duration 1 hour per level

Skrag Fellhand
2012-12-01, 12:24 PM
You would have to be a least sorc/wiz 5 to cast permanency...and at least Brd 3, Clr 5, Drd 4, Sor/Wiz 4 for scrying...from the tables in the phb xp cost to make a permanent 9th lvl spell is 500, 10th is 1000, 11th 1500..thats 500 per lvl...so it would probably have no or very little xp cost..

Yora
2012-12-01, 12:30 PM
What does it mean to have a coin with scrying? A coin that allows you to cast scyring at will when you hold it in your hand?

Skrag Fellhand
2012-12-01, 12:30 PM
You would have to be a least sorc/wiz 5 to cast permanency...and at least Brd 3, Clr 5, Drd 4, Sor/Wiz 4 for .. around lvl nine to actually cast permanancy sorry about that

Balor01
2012-12-01, 02:23 PM
What does it mean to have a coin with scrying? A coin that allows you to cast scyring at will when you hold it in your hand?

It means you have a bag of coins. You cast permanent scrying on each of them. As coins go around, you scry each of the owners and his surroundings.

Urpriest
2012-12-01, 02:42 PM
It means you have a bag of coins. You cast permanent scrying on each of them. As coins go around, you scry each of the owners and his surroundings.

That means you would need to be able to simultaneously watch several locations at once. That kind of sense-screw is usually the province of psionics, and I don't think there's anything there that will do it.

Kalirren
2012-12-01, 03:31 PM
OP, You might want to look at this spell.

http://dndtools.eu/spells/dragons-of-faerun--26/gem-tracer--1098/

TuggyNE
2012-12-01, 07:37 PM
You would have to be a least sorc/wiz 5 to cast permanency...and at least Brd 3, Clr 5, Drd 4, Sor/Wiz 4 for scrying...from the tables in the phb xp cost to make a permanent 9th lvl spell is 500, 10th is 1000, 11th 1500..thats 500 per lvl...so it would probably have no or very little xp cost..

Unfortunately, permanency does not allow you to make scrying permanent, since it's not on the list. (Also, for reasons mentioned, it would be pretty funky in practice, so it would be unwise for a DM to add it.)

AlchemicalMyst
2012-12-01, 10:30 PM
In Exalted there is a spell where a sorcerer can spit out black liquid that forms into a coin. AFB but I believe it goes a little like this. From then on the sorcerer that created said coin can transport their consciousness to the coin wherever it is and no matter how far away. You can see, hear, and, if I remember correctly, even smell as though standing within an arms reach of the coin. However, since the senses were magically simulated and you weren't actually there, you couldn't actually be affected by anything such as poison gas and fire. If the coin was in a sealed container you couldn't "leave" the container but you could listen to outside sounds. However an open container such as a pocket allowed you to walk freely within an arms reach of the coin's location as normal.

Even if you weren't 'scrying' you could focus a bit and know the exact direction and distance the coin was from you. I believe you got different funny feelings if it ever left Creation (Exalted's material plane in a nutshell).

Anyways, to cut to the point, I had a GM who loved Exalted that ran a Pathfinder game that I played in. One of our missions was to plant the coin in a king's chambers for quite a bit of coin, eh ehhhhh :smallcool:...moving on. If I remember correctly it was just a 5th or 6th level spell. Can't remember the component costs. You could easily work something pretty similar into a D&D or Pathfinder campaign easily. Maybe the coin lasts for a few days but can be made permanent or something or it could be a priceless artifact. Making Exalted spells come to d20 systems is hard considering majority of the spells you start with access to in Exalted make 9th level spells cry.

Gavinfoxx
2012-12-01, 11:18 PM
It's not permanent, but it is popular today.

Listening Coin [SpC] Bard 3
Turns the coin into a bugging device.
Duration 1 hour per level

I believe an Artificer level 3 can make a scroll or wondrous item of this. Or at least an Archivist's version of a Divine Bard's version of this. ;)

Darrin
2012-12-02, 12:22 PM
Hmmm... how about:

Hoard Scarab (from Draconomicon)
Throw a template on there to give it an Int score of 3 (Celestial or Pseudonatural or something)
Cast telepathic bond, then permanency.

Or maybe something can be done with Warlock/Dark Speech and Hivemind with a swarm of hoard scarabs?

Wookie-ranger
2012-12-02, 02:29 PM
Item familiar?
sorry, I had to.