PDA

View Full Version : Dragon Breeding

PlusSixPelican
2012-12-01, 05:05 PM
If one bred two different kinds of True Dragon, what would the results be?

I'm specifically interested in a white dragon/silver dragon hybrid.

Wyntonian
2012-12-01, 05:10 PM
Either a white dragon with the half-silver dragon template or a silver dragon with the half-white dragon template.

ShadowFireLance
2012-12-01, 11:57 PM
Hehe, My specialty

Alright, A) You go boring and apply the half-Dragon Template and such, Silver to white, Or White To Sliver. OR
B) You technically get a 'Gray Dragon' with their favored inviroments, I would expect more, But with the Savage mind of Whites, I highly doubt that the High Slivers would touch them, Let alone mate with one.
Now, I can see it if your Dm Plays them as Dumb beasts, Then yes, That would happen, But If he plays them right, Then Yeah, This is not happening.
A few questions: What age Catagories are they.
B) HOW did you get them to do so
C) Why not a Gold/Sliver, And then breed that with a Red, Then a Blue, And Have the most powerful Dragon (Of the main) If You include the others, I vote Amythest, And then Obsidion after that, And..Lets see here...Perhaps a Time Dragon?(Friends pull Shady away from thread so he does not ramble on)

PlusSixPelican
2012-12-02, 02:20 AM
Oh, it was just a White/Silver idea, since they're good/evil counterparts and all. >////////<

Domriso
2012-12-02, 04:05 AM
I personally loved to make dragon/dragon breeds get a mix of the breath weapons ('cause who doesn't love breath weapons?) and a mix of the magical abilities. You inherent half from one, half from the other, to make a truly memorable creature.

I had a fun one I made, Glarashkagon, a half-red dragon Sand dragon. He made his lair in a giant desert cave, obvious enough that people would go up there to hide for the night. When travelers got there, they would find these bizarre glass-statues. They weren't statues, of course, but what happens when Glarashkagon used both his breath weapons at the same time (intense fire + sand = molten glass). He would let them hang out for a while, then glass them, further adding to his collection.

Zahhak
2012-12-02, 01:51 PM
But with the Savage mind of Whites, I highly doubt that the High Slivers would touch them, Let alone mate with one.

For some reason I was assuming that there was no consent.

Can dragons rape each other?

ShadowFireLance
2012-12-02, 02:05 PM
Of course!....Uh...Not..That...uh....Going away now.
Now..I would need more info, considering that Slivers are one of the most powerful, After Golds, And Reds, But Well, the idea slightly mimics a Plot thing i had.

After all, A Young Adult/Adult White is going to die if he/she attempts to fight a Sliver, And besides, Slivers would Try to kill the White...ya, know, with the whole Bahumet vs Tiamat thing.

Debihuman
2012-12-02, 03:00 PM
Silver/white dragon pairing can be consensual, if you start with how a white dragon became Good. It could be from wearing a helm of opposite alignment (making it lawful good) or it was a raised from lost egg by Silver Dragons that found it and took pity on it. Nurture vs. Nature. The restrictive alignment that dragons possess does tend to make such pairings a rarity, That doesn't mean that you can't or shouldn't do it. It just means you need a good back story.

Maybe there is a whole roost of silver/white dragons that have become True Dragons over the generations. See here for Palladium Dragons: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=9440813&postcount=99.

Or you could buck tradition and make an evil Silver dragon.

The Eberron Campaign Setting play looser with alignments than does a standard 3.5 game. You might want to check that out.

Debby

PetterTomBos
2012-12-02, 03:46 PM
What about letting the result be a crippled, tortured thing? With spots of white and silver all over.

Ironically, the only thing the dragons could not mate with... was dragons of another color.

Thomar_of_Uointer
2012-12-02, 06:29 PM
One option I've toyed with is the idea that dragons only breed true with dragons of the same color. Even a gold/brass hybrid would produce a vastly inferior, short-lived, less intelligent stock. The majority of these offspring are born sterile. The more common faux-dragons (pseudodragons, dragonelles, wyvrens) are the result of various true dragon pairings which, by chance or magical manipulation, happened to be genetically viable.

So at that point, just make it whatever you want. I guess a silver/white pairing would produce some kind of flightless burrowing ice dragon with a powerful cold breath weapon, but no magic, stunted physical abilities, and low intelligence (roughly human-level).

PlusSixPelican
2012-12-02, 07:58 PM
You would think if they can mate with a human without consequences besides a mild dose of Sue-ness, they mate with each other viably. That's the assumption I'm using.

But yeah, using an evil Silver. Now, my second question: Can I play with the concept of Alternate form? I wanted to be silly and give the NPC in question a form he uses so often it has his Dragon scores instead.

Amechra
2012-12-02, 09:03 PM
Dragons of Eberron has feats for that.

Of course, you're going to have to do a bit more than that, but eh...

4th number
2012-12-03, 05:53 AM
Hey now, no one needs to flip alignment or do anything unsavory-- Aren't silver dragons allowed to have bad judgment now and again?

ShadowFireLance
2012-12-03, 07:48 PM
You would think if they can mate with a human without consequences besides a mild dose of Sue-ness, they mate with each other viably. That's the assumption I'm using.

But yeah, using an evil Silver. Now, my second question: Can I play with the concept of Alternate form? I wanted to be silly and give the NPC in question a form he uses so often it has his Dragon scores instead.

Evil Sliver eh? (Reambers suprise on players face when They were fighting a sliver and he summoned Pit Fiends)

2nd one: That would work fine within RAW, I think..Yeah, DoE And DoF might have that feat, I know for a fact that Draconomicon 2 (4e, But I worked a lot into 3rd) Had something along those lines.
Few other resouces for Dragons include:
Draconomicon, Van gauffs Guide to Dragons, Draconic lore, AEG Dragons, And Dragonstar- Guide to the galaxy.

willpell
2012-12-03, 07:57 PM
But with the Savage mind of Whites, I highly doubt that the High Slivers would touch them, Let alone mate with one.

Given that dragons are fertile for centuries, you could say that it was a young and naive Silver seduced by an ancient and cunning White, perhaps even one polymorphed into a Silver for the purpose. Perhaps she's trying to augment her bloodline so her kids aren't quite so blockheaded. Or maybe it's just a coup for Tiamat to screw with the heads of what are arguably Bahamut's favorites.

ShadowFireLance
2012-12-04, 11:50 PM
Given that dragons are fertile for centuries, you could say that it was a young and naive Silver seduced by an ancient and cunning White, perhaps even one polymorphed into a Silver for the purpose. Perhaps she's trying to augment her bloodline so her kids aren't quite so blockheaded. Or maybe it's just a coup for Tiamat to screw with the heads of what are arguably Bahamut's favorites.

Awesome, I am stealing this, for a game.
Yes yes.

willpell
2013-01-13, 03:28 AM
Awesome, I am stealing this, for a game.
Yes yes.

You're welcome. :smile: