PDA

View Full Version : Duplicate image removal?

Miscast_Mage
2012-12-01, 06:45 PM
Hi, does anyone know of or recommend any free software for removing duplicate images within a particular folder and all of it's sub folders? I've been scrounging around, and everything I find seems to work fine, gets a list of all duplicates, and then is lolnobuyfullversiontoremoveduplicates. :smallannoyed:

This is primarily for character illustrations, though I do have a good few photographs to sort, as well, if it's relevant.

I do remember having a free program before that did exactly what I want, but I don't have it anymore and have long since forgotten the name of it, sadly.

Many thanks for any help you can spare. :smallwink:

noparlpf
2012-12-01, 07:32 PM
Not what you're looking for, but it might just be faster to do it manually than to spend time looking for a program to do it for you.

Miscast_Mage
2012-12-02, 06:22 AM
Not what you're looking for, but it might just be faster to do it manually than to spend time looking for a program to do it for you.

Yeaaah, I have possibly over ten thousand images with at least a thousand redundant images across a couple dozen folders; sorting this out by hand is not going to work here. :smalltongue:

Besides, I know that there's programs out there that are free, and do what I'm looking for; I used one before, I just can't remember which one it was.:smallfrown:

nedz
2012-12-02, 07:00 AM
Can you determine the duplicates from the file names ?
If so: then you should be able to craft a script from the directory listings using a text editor.

Miscast_Mage
2012-12-02, 04:14 PM
No, unfortunately; I have several of the same image under different names, from saving it from different places without realising I had it saved before.

Okay, maybe a list of what I'm looking for might clear things up:

Freeware(or at least can sort though and clear duplicate images on a trial version)
Can find duplicate images based on the image itself, not the name
Can search through several folders and subfolders

Again, many thanks for any help. :smallwink:

Capt Spanner
2012-12-08, 07:39 AM
If you've downloaded images in the same resolution and type doing a search for all pictures will list all of them and sorting by filesize will group identical pictures together.