PDA

View Full Version : Paper dice?

Drakeburn
2012-12-01, 06:54 PM
Just a moment ago, I was asking about how I can run a D&D game with just 2 sets of dice, but then it occurred to me that if people are crafty enough to make printable D&D miniatures, why not paper dice (or origami dice).

Is this possible?

Savannah
2012-12-01, 07:12 PM
I suppose so, but they wouldn't roll well and it would be hard to make sure they aren't weighted (due to different layers of paper or bits of tape). Why not just use one of the free online dice rollers or have the players share dice?

AsteriskAmp
2012-12-01, 07:13 PM
It is possible but with use they will start getting flattened rather quickly.

It would be easier to use a phone app that randomizes numbers given a range< or a dice roller app.

Dakaran
2012-12-03, 04:49 PM
I haven't come across any decent origami dice that aren't d6s, so I don't know how helpful that will be for playing D&D. If origami d6s though are something that interests you, I found a great one online. I created a set of Inkscape files (for customizing the dice faces) and PDFs for the template that you can download here: http://iheartprintandplay.blogspot.com/2012/07/origami-dice.html

BraveSirKevin
2012-12-28, 07:34 PM
I once actually made a full set of paper dice (I was a student and didn't have the money for luxurious items like a plastic d20). They rolled terribly and favoured certain numbers a lot. They also had to be replaced fairly often because they didn't handle the wear and tear of regular use too well. After about 4 sessions of that I borrowed money from my dad and bought some normal-people dice and I haven't looked back :smallbiggrin:

If you're looking for a way to generate numbers randomly with paper, a better way would be a deck of cards, shuffling and drawing the top one as required. even a standard deck would do. Toss out the picture cards and keep only A-10. If you draw a red card it's a number below 10, if you draw a black card, it's a number above 10. (eg. Red Ace = 1, Black 6 = 16). For a d12, redraw any black cards that aren't 1 or 2. For a d10 result, ignore the colour. For a d6 or d8, ignore the colour and redraw any cards that are too high. For a d4, you can makes Diamonds 1, Hearts 2, Clubs 3 and Spades 4.