PDA

View Full Version : Mind Flayers(and their players)

2012-12-02, 01:04 AM
In our current evil campaign, I'm pretty sure I'm gonna die. I'm also pretty sure its gonna be painful, and due to my back story resurrection is gonna be nearly impossible.

I'm cool with that. I made some mistakes and now I'm facing the consequences. Time to roll up a new sheet like a big boy.

So I thought "What is an evil creature that isn't out of place in the Underdark that not even the Drow mess with?"

And I thought "Mind Flayers"

So now I come to you seeking a bit of advice. I want my character to serve a creepy and manipulative role, so much so that I'm gonna try and keep his race a secret from the other players as long as possible. I'm using the Savage Species progression, starting at lvl 5 with standard WBL. If it is deemed a better choice, I might try and use the Psionic Mind Flayer from XPH, though I'm not sure at what levels I would gain my 9 telepath levels. I also thought of dedicating myself to an Elder Evil for the bonus feat, though I'm not sure how to spend it.

Basically, the concept is my character is still immature for a mind flayer, but his enclave has recently been cut off from its preferred route to the surface by cave ins. While the more powerful members of the group work to clear the path, my character has been tasked with forming an alliance with a Vhaerunian drow outpost, to purchase slaves as both thralls and food, and also to determine if they are worth backing when the head priest of Vhaerun goes public with his plans to challenge the matriarchy.(Most of the characters are unaware of this, but the Elder Brain likely has incredibly powerful divination on his side) The resulting battle would mean a bounty of drow brains on the losing side, just waiting to be consumed.

My character would be stealthy, and manipulative. I'm going to spend some of his wealth on at least 2 slaves. The first a small, looked down upon creature capable of speaking multiple subterranean trade languages.(He would have the verbal tic of: "The master says," or "My master thinks," etc.) the second a tall imposing figure wrapped in concealing black robes. Preferably blind and/or deaf. Directed by my mental commands and serves as a decoy, following closely behind the talkative one. Meanwhile I would be wearing a concealing outfit to hide my heritage and keeping to the shadows, directing both slaves telepathically. If any combat ensues I would hope the big one could act under my instructions even while being pursued, leading attackers within range of my mind blast, and if I use the psionic variant my telepathic attacks.

The rest of my wealth would be divided among items to enhance my abilities and bribing drow for safety, favors, slaves, etc. I also might take the graft feat and build a monstrous thrall out of a Minotaur or something similar.
If we hit level 16 I'd either continue my psionic progression, or find a prestige class that would boost my mind flayer abilities. Illithid Savant comes to mind. So what do you guys think? Also, any tips on boosting my DCs and over coming drow spell resistance would be awesome, as well as advice on RPing an immature illithid who wants to prove himself, while at the same time serving his own immediate needs (braaaaaaiiiiins!)

KillianHawkeye
2012-12-02, 08:30 AM
Hat of Disguise.

Also, I believe Lords of Madness has some illithid-specific equipment, such as a container to preserve brains for later consumption. Might come in handy, like a lunchbox. For brains.

Runestar
2012-12-02, 08:49 AM
The mindflayer strikes me as being pathetically weak for its ECL. You have to wait until very high lv to be able to enjoy goodies like at-will mindblast, charm monster and planeshift.

I feel you would be better off playing a psion/thrallherd, or some other PC build which simulates the mind-flayer's abilities. I think complete psionic also has a mind-flayer themed prc?

roguemetal
2012-12-02, 10:33 AM
The mindflayer strikes me as being pathetically weak for its ECL. You have to wait until very high lv to be able to enjoy goodies like at-will mindblast, charm monster and planeshift.

+1 to this.

The SavSpc mindflayer is most definitely not ideal for a player character level wise, but it can work. Mind Blast Relay grafts plus leadership are one of the more interesting ways of using them, especially if psionic variants are allowed. They are also pretty good as grapplers if you feel like optimizing for 4th tier. If you go psionics definitely take enough concealment and controlling spells to keep yourself incognito.

Be aware that as a psion you will NOT be as good as another Psion of your level. You lose alot with that many levels in a class/ecl that's mostly random stat bulk. For wizardry or sorcery, both of which they are supposed to be good at, the same applies. :smallfurious:

Have you considered Ethergaunt instead? :smalltongue:

2012-12-02, 11:34 AM
Ethergaunts actually look pretty cool. Now if only the had a lower ECL since I have to start at level 5. But something like that would be perfect, able to silently manipulate his minions from the ethereal plane! Any more suggestions to that end?

Jeff the Green
2012-12-02, 11:54 AM
I will, as usual, recommend some homebrew. There's an Ethergaunt monster class here (http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=1360.0), and Illithid monster classes here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7947714&postcount=13) and here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=9159107&postcount=1357). In my opinion, they're all decently balanced, and much better for PCs than the LA and RHD you get using the standard monsters.