PDA

View Full Version : Jim Henson's Labyrinth for D&D: an Experiment

Chainsaw Hobbit
2012-12-02, 01:27 AM
So ... I recently re-watched Jim Henson's Labyrinth again. I have now seen it more than a dozen times. This time around, I watched the whole thing thinking about which parts could be adapted to D&D and which couldn't.

NOTE: When I say D&D, I mostly mean old-school D&D such as BECMI, but I have also taken into account other incarnations such as Third and Fifth edition. You will find that, no matter what edition you prefer, the following blurb will have something for you.

ANOTHER NOTE: Since Labyrinth was essentially a David Bowie worshiping platform, any D&D game played in the universe would have to have a David Bowie soundtrack, so as to preserve the spirit. This is essential.

Some people with fantastical abilities, often members of exotic sapient species, explore labyrinths and dungeons - exploring, getting lost, solving puzzles, finding relics, interacting with locals, and fighting off monsters. The overarching concepts of D&D mesh well with Labyrinth. The potential problems are in the details.

I am assuming that a game wouldn't follow the plot of the movie, even remotely, but would instead simply take place in the universe. The characters would be "muppets". Inhabitants of the Labyrinth. Perhaps they would be goblins, stealing children. Maybe they would be nomadic wanderers, much like the default adventurers of D&D. There would need to be either homebrewed muppet races, or very quick rules for creating muppets. If we are playing BECMI, or another game where races and classes are one and the same, muppet classes would work perfectly.

One thing that I thought would work very well with D&D was the combat system. Hear me out. Hit points can mean whatever the group wants. In this case, they could almost entirely represent luck, fatigue, and determination. The blow that brings someone down to negative hit points doesn't mean a stab to the chest cavity or similar. Instead, it means the blade is knocked out of their hand, or they collapse with fatigue, or their foe's sword is suddenly pressed against their throat. This could be taken further in the Labyrinth universe. An attack roll could just as easily be a biting remark as a flurry of blows with a sword.

I have more notes coming soon, as well as some solid content.

Chainsaw Hobbit
2012-12-02, 01:28 AM
Labyrinth for D&D 3.5

I don't particularly like Third Edition (or play it any more), but I know my way around it pretty well. I may, however, be a bit rusty. Because of this, this section is the most prone to error. Constructive criticism is highly appreciated.

Here, races and classes are one and the same. Each represents a different verity of Muppet. None go past sixth level, as it is assumed that the E6 rules (http://dungeons.wikia.com/wiki/E6_(3.5e_Sourcebook)) are in place.

Classes
These six-level classes are meant to also represent races. They work in much the same way as the Monster Classes of Savage Species.

Juggernaut
A large, muscular muppet. A bruiser. Often top-heavy, with short legs and large arms. Once a Juggernaut masters their body, they gain the ability to control an element of their choice through sheer force of will and physical presence.

Hit Dice: d12.

Armour Proficiencies: None.

Weapon Proficiencies: None.

Skill Points Per Level: 2 + Int Modifier. (2 + Int Modifier) x4 at fist level.

{table=head]Level|Base Attack<br>Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special

1st|
+1|
+2|
+0|
+0|Choice of Armour, Choice of Weapon, +2 Str.

2nd|
+2|
+3|
+0|
+0|Helpful Strength, +1 Con.

3rd|
+3|
+3|
+1|
+1|Hardiness, +1 Wis.

4th|
+4|
+4|
+1|
+1|Angry Smash, +1 Str.

5th|
+5|
+4|
+1|
+1|Thick Skin, +1 Con.

6th|
+6/+1|
+5|
+2|
+2|Nature Mastery, +1 Str, +1 Con, +1 Wis.[/table]

Class Features:

The following are class features of the Juggernaut.

Choice of Armour (EX): At first level, the Juggernaut can choose to gain proficiency with light and medium armour, or gain a permanent +1 natural armour bonus that increases to +1 at fourth level.

Choice of Weapon (EX): At first level, the Juggernaut can choose to gain proficiency with all melee weapons, or gain a permanent 1d8 natural attack.

Helpful Strength (EX): Starting at second level, the Juggernaut can roll twice and use the better result on all Strength checks and strength-based skill checks.

Hardiness (EX): Starting at third level, the Juggernaut regains double hit points from all healing effects, such as rest and magical healing.

Angry Smash (EX): Starting at fourth level, when at fewer than half hit points, the Juggernaut gains a +1 bonus to melee attack rolls.

Thick Skin (EX): Starting at fifth level, the Juggernaut gains dr 1/-, or dr 2/- if its con modifier is equal to +3 or higher.

Bonus Feat (SU): At sixth level, the Juggernaut masters its mind and body and gains the ability to control an element: fire, water, air, or earth.

Once per day, it can summon 1d4 small elementals of the corresponding type, which do its bidding for five minutes or until slain. If the element is in abundance wherever the Juggernaut is, the elementals are instead Medium.

More content coming very soon!

Chainsaw Hobbit
2012-12-02, 01:29 AM
Post reserved.

Chainsaw Hobbit
2012-12-02, 01:31 AM
Post reserved again.