PDA

View Full Version : [Spell] Brand

Dhavaer
2006-10-28, 05:06 PM
Brand
Transmutation
Level: Arcane 2; Components: V, S; Casting Time: 1 Full Round Action; Range: Touch; Target: 1 creature; Duration: Permanent (D); Saving Throw: None; Spell Resistance: No

The caster presses their thumb hard against the target's skin, burning a sigil into their flesh. This spell may only be cast on targets that are flat footed, helpless or willing.
The brand may be visible or invisible to normal sight. An invisible rune can be seen using Arcane Sight. The caster can always see the rune from a distance for 30 feet or less, blockable by substances that would block Detect Evil. The target recieves a -10 penatly to saves against the brander's Divination spells.
The brand cannot be removed by Dispel Magic, but Remove Curse and Break Enchantment are effective against it. The caster level of Remove Curse must be no more than two levels below the caster level of the Brand.

Read Brand
Divination
Level: Arcane 0; Components: S; Casting Time: 1 Full Round Action; Range: Touch; Target: 1 creature; Duration: Instantaneous; Saving Throw: None; Spell Resistance: No

The caster touches their hand to a brand they have previously placed, and reads the information stored there. The caster's memory of what caused them to brand the creature is refreshed as if it had only just happened. This spell may only be cast on targets that are flat-footed, helpless or willing.

Captain van der Decken
2006-10-28, 05:28 PM
Interesting, but I don't know if it's worth a level 2 spell.

Dhavaer
2006-10-28, 05:32 PM
Interesting, but I don't know if it's worth a level 2 spell.

What if I increase the penalty to -10?

ishi
2006-10-28, 05:36 PM
Depending on the feel you're trying to give this spell, you might want to expand the penalty to include different things. When I saw the name "Brand," I thought of "branding" as in "ownership", so maybe an adjustment to Diplomacy/Intimidate checks or Enchantments?

Dhavaer
2006-10-28, 05:42 PM
Depending on the feel you're trying to give this spell, you might want to expand the penalty to include different things. When I saw the name "Brand," I thought of "branding" as in "ownership", so maybe an adjustment to Diplomacy/Intimidate checks or Enchantments?

It's more of a tracking device than a mark of ownership, so divination sounds the best. Enchantment might overpower it, I think.

Captain van der Decken
2006-10-28, 05:56 PM
I think -10 works. Good spell for a BBEG.

Dhavaer
2006-10-28, 05:59 PM
Changed to -10. That's how I thought of it, but it seemed overpowered.

The Demented One
2006-10-28, 06:54 PM
I would personally make the second spell just an alternate function of the first. Neat concept with good execution.

Dhavaer
2006-10-28, 06:55 PM
I would personally make the second spell just an alternate function of the first. Neat concept with good execution.

Thank-ee. I'll consider that, and probably do it.

Jarl
2006-10-28, 07:38 PM
Very Harry Potter feel to it.

-I'll just go kill myself for saying that, hmmm?

Dhavaer
2006-10-28, 07:44 PM
Very Harry Potter feel to it.

-I'll just go kill myself for saying that, hmmm?

Yes, you do that. It'll make the shame go away, I promise.

Edit: I think I might just make Read Brand a cantrip.

Winged One
2006-10-28, 10:17 PM

Perhaps change the name from "Brand" to "Tracking Rune"?

Dhavaer
2006-10-28, 10:18 PM
Perhaps change the name from "Brand" to "Tracking Rune"?

Brand sounds so much better... but yeah, maybe. Or just 'Tracker'. Or 'Tracer'.

Triaxx
2006-10-31, 10:52 PM
Makes me think of an item:

Brand Compass
Created by enchanting a normal compass with a brand spell, this allows the creator of the brand to track it by touching the compass the site of the brand.

The Brand Compass will point towards the brand bearer unerringly until Compass is destroyed, or Brand is removed. Compass may transfer from one brand to another only if the Brand spell is recast on the compass.

Cost:35 gp, one compass.

You could use this to track a highwayman back to his gang after releasing him from jail, and wipe out the entire gang at once.

Dhavaer
2006-10-31, 11:39 PM
I might use that idea, yeah. Maybe put it on a GPS device?

LordOfNarf
2006-10-31, 11:55 PM
I might use that idea, yeah. Maybe put it on a GPS device?
If its on a GPS, it should give coordinates, just makes sense. And you might want a "locate Brand" cantrip to find the brand when you want, and base the compass cost off of that.

Fizban
2006-11-03, 12:01 AM
Simple and effective. I respond to it's worth as a 2nd level spell: is Continual Flame worth a 2nd level spell?

Fax Celestis
2006-11-03, 01:10 AM
Yeah, this is like Arcane Mark with benefits.

Now, is it usable on any creature? Does the creature take (fire) damage when suffering the brand? Do things like Arcane Sight recognize/read the sign? Does each arcanist have a unique "signature" brand?

Dhavaer
2006-11-03, 01:13 AM
Yeah, this is like Arcane Mark with benefits.

Now, is it usable on any creature? Does the creature take (fire) damage when suffering the brand? Do things like Arcane Sight recognize/read the sign? Does each arcanist have a unique "signature" brand?

Any creature, though obviously the caster has to be able to touch them. Branding a Magmin wouldn't be advisable. The Brand is heatless. The effect of Arcane Sight is in the spell description. The Brand can have any appearance the caster wants, and the caster always recognises their own brands, no matter their appearance. Generally a Brand is about an inch across.