PDA

View Full Version : A Few New Mage [Feats]

TheOOB
2006-10-28, 06:20 PM
Physical Substitution[Metamagic]
You can modify an energy-based spell to deal physical damage instead
Prerequisites: Knowledge(arcana) 7 ranks, Energy Substitution
Benefit: Choose one type of physical damage (bludgeoning, piercing, or slashing). You can modify a spell with an energy descriptor to use the chosen damage type instead. A physical substituted spell uses a spell slot of the spells normal level. The spells looses any any energy descriptors it has – for example a fireball that deals slashing damage loses the fire descriptor. Spells modified in this way are not subject to energy resistance, and they overcome damage reduction as if they where a magic weapon.
Special: You can gain this feat multiple times, choosing a different type of physical damage each time.

Overcast[General]
You may channel you spells to great effect, but the process leaves you drained
Prerequisites: Spellcraft 5 ranks, Ability to cast 2nd level spells
Benefit: When casting a spell, you can increase your effective caster level and the spells save DC(if any) by 1, but in doing so you take 1d8 damage and are fatigued for one minute per spell level of the spell you cast. At 12th level you may increase your effective caster level and the spells save DC(if any) by 2, but you take 3d8 damage and are exhausted for 1 minute per spell level, after which you are fatigued for an addition minute per spell level. You may not use Overcast if you are already fatigued or exhausted.
Normal: Your caster level is equal to your class level in your spellcasting class.

Spellshield[General]
You may sacrifice some of your stored magical energy to form a short lived shield to defend yourself from attacks
Prerequisites: Knowledge(arcana) 5 ranks, Ability to cast 2nd level spells
Benefit: Once per round, as an immediate action you may sacrifice one of your prepared spells or available spell slots to grant yourself a bonus to AC equal to the sacrificed spells spell level until the beginning of your next turn – for example, if a wizard sacrifices fireball(a third level spell), she gains +3 AC until the beginning of her next turn.

EDIT: Changed Shieldspell to grant AC instead of DR, hopefully making it more useful.

Dhavaer
2006-10-28, 06:40 PM
I like these. Overcast and Spell Shield seem a little underpowered, but I'm not really that great with feat balance.

TheOOB
2006-10-28, 08:23 PM
Feat balance is always difficult. Overcast in paticular was hard to balance. There has to be some factor that prevents you from being able to fire off several overcast instant death spells in a row otherwise it would be too powerful, damage or no damage.

I was thinking of doubling the value of DR provided by spell shield (and making it so a 0 level spell grants a DR of 1). The reason is that by the time you get access to a spell level, the amount of damage it prevents is irrelevent (9 damage is worthless at level 17). With increased DR the feat would still be fairly weak at high levels, but it would carry some use in low to mid levels.

Dhavaer
2006-10-28, 08:25 PM
I think the main problem with Spell Shield is that it's very situational. You have to be taking a lot of attacks to make 2/- or 4/- worth a second level spell.

TheOOB
2006-10-28, 09:00 PM
It is situational, but it could be useful if you like preparing very situational spells like knock and comprehend languages it doesn't do much, but some DR is better then having a spell prepared you won't cast.

Not sure if that makes it worth a feat slot, probally not considering how many great feats are out there.

Captain van der Decken
2006-10-29, 05:49 AM
Spellshield isn't that great, compare it to mage armour.

Dhavaer
2006-10-29, 05:51 AM
I concur, having it add to AC is far too weak. The DR worked better.

Captain van der Decken
2006-10-29, 06:17 AM
You could make it work like an improved MA. Hour/level, start at base 3 + slot level perhaps?

Dhavaer
2006-10-29, 06:20 AM
Hmm... that's rather like a feat turning everything into Mage Armour. It advances well, too. I approve.

Captain van der Decken
2006-10-29, 06:26 AM
Not as good for a wizard as it is a sorcerer, of course.

Dhavaer
2006-10-29, 06:29 AM
That's true, but still worthwhile. Particularly with the bonus feats.

Were-Sandwich
2006-10-29, 06:31 AM
Spellshield is very weak. Why not make it 2*spell level, or 1.5*spell level?

Captain van der Decken
2006-10-29, 06:43 AM
'Shall I stop time, rain firey destruction on my enemies, tear the earth asunder, or be a little harder to hit?'

A little extreme, i know :rolleyes:

InaVegt
2006-10-29, 06:47 AM
Well, the current proposition is the same strength as inertial armor which can be made more powerfull by augmenting it. unaugmented it is +4, every 2 pp increases it by 1.