PDA

View Full Version : Need help nerfing a Rakshasa

Wytwyld
2012-12-02, 07:47 PM
The storyline in my world includes the possibility for a rakshasa (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/rakshasa.htm) to be a player character, but I want to reduce the LA.

I want to reduce or get rid of the SR and/or DR.
Also, a -2 to all of their ability scores is under debate.

My question is how much of the LA can be dropped with these penalties and be balanced.

My explanation is some sort of supernatural plague that is racial specific.

avr
2012-12-03, 03:31 AM
Well, consider what you have left. 7th level sorcerer casting, +7 BAB, +9 natural armour, darkvision, change shape and some natural attacks (easily duplicated by spells), whatever's left of the SR/DR. If the MM Rakshasa used the elite array, -2 to each ability leaves them with about nil racial ability mods. I'd call it about the equivalent of a 9th-10th level character depending on detail, even if getting an exact equivalent thru ordinary character levels would be tricky.

Yora
2012-12-03, 05:23 AM
I agree, level 9 or 10 sounds about right.

I would say make it 7 HD and LA+3 if you have LA-buyoff or 7 HD and LA+2 if you don't.

Eldan
2012-12-03, 05:53 AM
Have you considered dropping the sorcerer casting? Most people probably want to play a Rakshasa for the shapeshifting, not primarily the casting, and if they do, they can still take sorcerer levels.

Rubik
2012-12-03, 09:14 AM
I think some refluffing is in order.

Play a changeling sorcerer (or psion) with the Otherworldly feat. Say he's a young rakshasa, and use your spells to emulate the things a rakshasa gets as you level up.

Voila. Balanced.

docnessuno
2012-12-03, 10:09 AM
For a more playable Rakshasa:

Reduce RHD to 4 and Sorcerer casting to 4

Change Detect toughts CL to 10

Change Damage reduction to 5 / good and piercing

Change spell resistance to 10 + HDs

Change change shape to: A rakshasa can assume any humanoid form with less HDs than his own, as a standard action.

Change stats to:
+2 Dexterity, +2 Constitution, +2 Intelligence, +4 Charisma

Give it a LA of 3, for a total ECL of 7

Haakon
2012-12-03, 10:10 AM
If you take a look at the pathfinder SRD, they actually have 6 different types of them, ranging down to CR 2.

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/outsiders/rakshasa

roguemetal
2012-12-03, 11:36 AM
If you take a look at the pathfinder SRD, they actually have 6 different types of them, ranging down to CR 2.

He's referring to the 3.5 monster known as a Rakshasa. The creatures you mention are designed by Pathfinder based on Hindu mythology and are unrelated.

Darius Kane
2012-12-03, 11:41 AM
He's referring to the 3.5 monster known as a Rakshasa. The creatures you mention are designed by Pathfinder based on Hindu mythology and are unrelated.
http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/outsiders/rakshasa/rakshasa-common

Eldan
2012-12-03, 02:59 PM

The D&D Rakshasa is based on the same Hindu mythology. And apart from that, they have very similar stats. Pathfinder just seems to have expanded on them.

The Redwolf
2012-12-03, 06:10 PM

If I had to guess he's mentioning them as suggestions to look at to make lower-level Rakshasa.

Urpriest
2012-12-03, 07:38 PM
I'd advise one of the following:

1. Build a character out of something else that emulates a Rakshasa, with a Changeling Sorceror with the Otherwordly feat probably the best option.

2. Use a monster class, like this one (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7956421&postcount=32).

Any other method will leave the character with level adjustment, which is heavily undesirable on a caster, given that spells are quadratic in power.

Wytwyld
2012-12-04, 04:26 PM
For a more playable Rakshasa:

Reduce RHD to 4 and Sorcerer casting to 4

Change Detect toughts CL to 10

Change Damage reduction to 5 / good and piercing

Change spell resistance to 10 + HDs

Change change shape to: A rakshasa can assume any humanoid form with less HDs than his own, as a standard action.

Change stats to:
+2 Dexterity, +2 Constitution, +2 Intelligence, +4 Charisma

Give it a LA of 3, for a total ECL of 7

This seems like the best fit for what I am trying to do. I never thought of reducing the HD :smalltongue:

This is not for me to play, but rather to make available to my players.

Thanks everyone for your input.