PDA

View Full Version : Disguising a Dragon without Alternate Form

Wise Green Bean
2012-12-02, 09:29 PM
I have a problem. I need to find a way to disguise a dragon, not using any race of dragon with alternate form. I'm entering a new campaign and need to have a dragon of a certain LA living incognito. ECL 8, and all races get LA2 cut off. I believe there aren't any dragon races with alternate form available for under LA8, so any interesting solutions? Hat of disguise came to mind, but it wouldn't turn a dragon into a humanoid.

Wise Green Bean
2012-12-02, 09:34 PM
I think there's something I'm not quite understanding. I was planning to play a very young gold dragon, and according to my source that would mean +5 LA, but he said that wouldn't fit in the level allocation. Something I'm missing? Here's the exact specifications.

"I am encouraging potential players to play exotic races. As such, you may subtract 2 from the level adjustment of any race you choose. However, if you choose a race with less than +2 LA, you will receive a bonus feat at 1st level and 1 extra skill point per level (as per the human racial traits) for each level adjustment reduction you do not utilize.
ECL: 8
Stats: 32 points
Starting Gold: 27k
Technology Level: Renaissance weapons (DMG p145) are available, but illegal in the city except for the city guard.
Alignment: Any but Lawful Evil.
Available Resources: SRD, PHB, PHBII, MM, DMG, Draconomicon, Complete Adventurer, Arcana, Divine, Mage, Scoundrel, Warrior. Period.
Races: Any; I will make LA calls on monsters with no LA listed.
Restrictions: No psionics, flaws, or traits allowed."

tyckspoon
2012-12-02, 09:43 PM
ECL is Hit Dice + Level Adjustment. For a Young Gold, that's 11 Racial Hit Dice + 5 LA, for total ECL 16 (14 with your DM's -2 adjustment, but still far too high.)

Edit: If you really want to be a dragon, find a copy of Dragons of Faerun and check out the Mercury and Steel dragons. Lower base HD values and *very* low LAs, for a dragon- if you're ok with being a Wyrmling of either of them you could have 0 LA with your DM's rule.

Wise Green Bean
2012-12-02, 09:50 PM
I wish. :smallfrown: Very picky about books, him.

Baroncognito
2012-12-02, 10:53 PM
Hand puppets and careful framing.

"Hey guys, come meet my friend over by this copse of trees, and then we'll have lunch at the lake."

avr
2012-12-02, 11:27 PM
A pseudodragon would be 2 HD & +1 LA under this rule and might just be worth it for a sneaky type. When you're not hiding in a backpack you could pose as a familiar. Might not meet your criteria if you're looking to play a mighty dragon tho'.

A hat of disguise won't change you into a humanoid, but probably could disguise you as a domestic animal of a similar size to whatever dragon you choose. It might even allow you to appear to be a centaur.

Wise Green Bean
2012-12-02, 11:55 PM
Dragons are there own creature type, with very little in the category that would work for my purposes. I think polymorph is the lowest level of core transformation magic that could get me out of my creature type, and that's measured in minutes per level. I need hours per day, absolute minimum. Unless I did some sort of routine where I stayed hidden 99% of the time, which would be a real pain and still expensive.

demigodus
2012-12-03, 12:20 AM
Dragons of Faerun, page 140 has the steel dragon

As a Wyrmling, you have 4 Racial Hit Dice, +2 LA, and cast as a level 1 sorcerer.
Very Young have 7 Racial Hit Dice, +3 LA, which under your system would be +1 LA.

They get Alternate Form (Su) to assume any medium or smaller (no lower cap!) animal or humanoid 5 times per day.

I believe this might fit what you are looking for? Your dragon had Alternate Form since birth, hence was always is disguise.

I realize you asked for some way to do it without Alternate Form, but I think that was because you didn't know of a way to get it early enough?

Wise Green Bean
2012-12-03, 12:25 AM
That'd work, except it isn't one of the allowed books.

TypoNinja
2012-12-03, 02:10 AM
Gold Dragons get Alternate form at wyrmling.

Alas thats an 8HD and 5 LA.

Still 11 levels under your DM's discount rules.

Silver is similarly 7 and +4 so 9th level. Close but no biscut.

You might try asking to be allowed to make a particularly young silver dragon who's only got 6HD so far.

Or alternatively claim to have been level drained at some point in your past, that might fly (pardon the pun:P) if you come up with a good enough story.

avr
2012-12-03, 02:47 AM
Dragons are there own creature type, with very little in the category that would work for my purposes. I think polymorph is the lowest level of core transformation magic that could get me out of my creature type, and that's measured in minutes per level. I need hours per day, absolute minimum. Unless I did some sort of routine where I stayed hidden 99% of the time, which would be a real pain and still expensive.
The thing is, I don't think the 'type' referred to in disguise self (i.e. for hat of disguise) is the creature type in the monster manual. It reads

You make yourself—including clothing, armor, weapons, and equipment—look different. You can seem 1 foot shorter or taller, thin, fat, or in between. You cannot change your body type. Otherwise, the extent of the apparent change is up to you. You could add or obscure a minor feature or look like an entirely different person.
Which might reasonably create an illusion of a dragon being some animal of the same general size/shape.

Wise Green Bean
2012-12-03, 03:25 AM
Hm. You might be on to something there, but I'm not really sure what body type is supposed to refer to, if not to creature type. And even then, that'd be a tough sell. Maybe I could play it on the DL. Something to consider...

Yora
2012-12-03, 05:33 AM
How about a Gold Half-Dragon Lizardfolk? That would be ECL 4 and still have room for 4 class levels.

Croix
2012-12-03, 09:14 AM
How about a Gold Half-Dragon Lizardfolk? That would be ECL 4 and still have room for 4 class levels.
This would be your best (and only) option. You'll still look and play like a dragon, but only a lot less powerful, but still works within the frames of your limitations.

Darrin
2012-12-03, 09:40 AM
That'd work, except it isn't one of the allowed books.

Is online material allowed? If so, stats for the Steel Dragon (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/mm/20040328a) are online. It has polymorph listed as a SLA 5/day... in Dragons of Faerun, this is actually "Alternate Form (Su)" 5/day.

Song Dragon from Monsters of Faerun also has Alternate Form. Wyrmling 5HD + 5 LA - 2 = 8. But that book isn't allowed.

Also:

Mercury Dragon (https://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/mm/20040103a) (tiny wyrmling 3HD, small very young 6HD)
Mist Dragon (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/mm/20031226a) (tinyl wyrmling 3HD, small very young 6HD, mist form at will)

Try and see if you can get ahold of Dragon #320 (metallic dragons) and #332 (chromatic dragons). This has 20-level progressions for all the dragons so they're playable as PCs. The gold dragon, for example, starts at 1HD with alternate form.

Another playable dragon... no alternate form, but there's a 7-level Template Class for a LA +0 Ambush Drake (https://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/fc/20060728a).