PDA

View Full Version : Wizard spell learning rules

Story
2012-12-03, 12:48 AM
What are the rules for Wizards learning new spells from scrolls and spellbooks? The SRD text about learning new spells says you can copy it as long as you can find it on a scroll or in another Wizard's spellbook. As far as I can tell, it doesn't even say the spell has to be arcane, let alone from the Wizard spell list.

Kelb_Panthera
2012-12-03, 01:38 AM
Since archivists and spell-scrolls are both things, every spell in creation has a written form that can be scribed onto paper. That doesn't mean that scribing it in your book actually puts it on your class spell list though.

A wizard could scribe cure X wounds (for example) into his book without a problem, but he'd never be able to prepare or cast it since it's not a sorc/wiz spell.

Story
2012-12-03, 02:11 AM
So you can write any spell you want into the spellbook but you have to gain the ability to use them separately? Seems odd.

Seer_of_Heart
2012-12-03, 02:33 AM
Not at all, in this scenario pretend I am a level 1 wizard who has managed to obtain the 900 gold it would cost to scribe a 9th level spell. Once its scribed I don't gain the ability to cast 9th level spells that can bring the world to its feet I have to gain the power to cast spells of that level.

Kelb_Panthera
2012-12-03, 10:38 AM
So you can write any spell you want into the spellbook but you have to gain the ability to use them separately? Seems odd.

It's more a matter of magical writing and actual spell-casting ability being seperate mechanics for the most part.

You'll note that there's absolutely nothing in the section on magical writing that says you must be a wizard to scribe a spell. It's a task that can be accomplished by anyone capable of making the necessary spellcraft checks and shelling out the cash. Even a non spellcaster could do it, were he so inclined.

A wizard needs a spellbook to prepare his spells from, but his actual spell-slots and class spell-list are an inherent part of him that doesn't give a whit about some moldy old tome full of chicken scratches.

Story
2012-12-03, 11:44 AM
Can the Archmage SLA be applied to spells that you're only able to cast temporarily? For example, if you had Divine Oracle 1, Wrym Wizard 2, and substituted to the Luck Domain and learned Miracle, could you get Miracle as a 2/day SLA? Does it bypass the normal once per day restriction on domain spells?