PDA

View Full Version : [4E] The dirty half dozen and the tower of eyes

Leolo
2012-12-03, 07:52 AM
The tower of eyes

For so long time madness has surrounded you. It was always there, outside your brain. It asked for the sky, for the world outside. It whispered to you all the plans you once had. Many have fallen to the voices in the walls, have forgotten who they once where, what they look like and where they are.

Some have planned to flee, but the eyes are always watching, the walls are always listening to your words - even those in your brain. Those who want to escape have never been seen again. Then after a year you start to see the truth: You might be here forever. Your a villian. A prisoner. The eyes in the wall are watching you because you are dangerous. Too dangerous to be free, too dangerous to be left in a mundane prison cell. Murderers, Necromancers, Lords of War and Terror and Pain. You have been bound into a world without windows or doors, as evil as you are. Your prison is hungry, it is alife. It is the tower of eyes, a living building forced into service by the wizard Mezzrayn the ancient hundreds of years ago. Mazzrayn is always there if someone brought into his prison, and later you learn the reason for this. He has twisted your mind, making you forget how you have entered the tower.

Not a single prisoner remembers the last minutes before it has woken up here. You do remember who has catched you, though. A band of adventurers called the broken fist.

Aliandre the red, sorceress whose beauty bewiches the mind.
Yro a sworn paladin of freedom, saviour of the slaves in the pits of darkness.
Katonga, a daggermaster and freed slave from the Ni'ai barbarians
The unknown priestress, a servant of light
And the Wizard Yarem the blue, one of Mezzrayns followers.

False saints, blinded by their proud who don't understood what you where doing! How could they defeat you? It is hard to controll your anger if it is the only thing you still have that is your own. All your gear has been taken away, and even with it: What could you do? Your within a living prison and don't even know where the way out might be.

Your cells are comfortable, with books and beds and a fresh meal whenever you wish to have one. But your only companions are the small magical servants that bring you water and clean your room. And every step you take is watched by the magical eyes in the wall...thousands of eyes. They never stop watching you, hungry and evil, waiting for a fault you make to punish you.

And then there is Mezzrayn, trying to teach you from time to time, to talk to you about your evil deeds. He is your only way to measure time. There is no night or day. Your hair don't grow, and you don't age. Your here forever...until the end of time. Sometimes you have tried to close your eyes, hoping the always watching wall will follow your example.

Until it did.

All eyes where shut at once, and the light within the tower turns out.

And those who where already mad begin to scream.

Tricycle_Knight
2012-12-04, 01:38 AM
Baron Waytes looks up from the book he's currently studying, an old tome he must have read a thousand times already but one he managed to enjoy just the same. That is, until a chorus of screams sounds from out the prison, distracting his attention and raising the vampire's considerable ire.

"My goodness! Would you please all shut up? You're all acting like you've never seen..."

He sees it.

"...the eyes of the prison close..."

The vampire shuts his musty tome, puffing up some dust as he rises from his cot and walks over to his cell. And while the screams of the mad echo on, Dafydd barely hears it anymore, his mind focused like a predator as it appears something very strange is happening in his internment. Dafydd walks to the bars of his cell and calls out to anyone nearby.

"Is there anyone in this prison besides me that thinks maybe it's time to do something other than shout our heads off?"

Irish Musician
2012-12-04, 02:02 AM
Iltz'roos Morvyndis (http://iplay4e.appspot.com/characters/agdpcGxheTRlchQLEgtDaGFyYWN0ZXJWMhjckaIHDA), Sorcerer of Lolth
Iltz'roos does what he does everyday in the awful prison he is confined to, he summons his cloud of darkness around himself, to get some measure of privacy, as often as he can. He isn't sure if the eyes can see through his magical darkness, but it doesn't really matter if they can or not. One, he isn't going to escape because of one little darkness spell, and two, it makes him feel better. The prison was kind enough to put him in a cell next to his sister, so at least there was that. He used his time to practice his sorcerer powers because he knew, and they knew, that those powers weren't going to help him in any way escape this prison.

Then one day, as he was shooting some of his chaotic magic around his room, he noticed something quite odd. The eyes that watched him every moment, of every day, closed. Now, to be honest with himself, the watching never really bothered him. He was used to that back home, where he always had to assume he was being watched, so he got used to the walls of eyes quite quickly. He wasn't sure what to do, but then he heard a shout from a fellow prisoner, talking of escape. He immediately agreed with this person, and thought about escape. "Of course," he hissed back at the inquisitor, as if that was an incredibly stupid question, "we should get out of here as soon as we are able." Then talking to Phaere, "I hope to have us out of here soon." He looks at the lock and a smile grows across his face, "Let me try something....."

Standing a ways back, he points a finger to the lock on the door and fires a bolt of energy at the lock, hoping to break it open.

I shoot a Energy Strobe at the lock, it is VS the lock's Ref, [roll0], damage is [roll1] 17 cold crit dmg and the type of damage is [roll2] (cold), and that type of damg I get 5 resist to UEMNT.

Leolo
2012-12-04, 02:55 AM
The lock shatters, and so does the door, transforming to fine black dust on the floor as if it has never been really there at all.

AvianMalkavian
2012-12-04, 04:32 AM
Rassendyll (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=475576), Tiefling Elan Psion
Glowing orange eyes looked up from the book held before them as the lights went out. Black slit pupils, like the eyes of a predatory cat, dilating to adjust to the lack of light, looking about slowly and attempting to take in what was occuring. The eyes had closed, those damnable eyes that had watched him for years, had whispered to him. This tower reminded him far too much of the aberrant horrors he had battled during his youth, and he would gladly have burned the accursed place to the ground if he had the chance. Perhaps, this was that day.

Getting to his feet, he tossed the book aside and moved to the door of his cage, looking out and listening to the terrified screams. They were the ones who had long ago broken and succumbed to the voice of the tower, and now they could function without it, "If this is some mad game Mezzrayn, I have no desire to play a part in it!"

There was no answer, until he heard an explosion, the sound of something shattering. That wasn't possible, at least not before today. Even thinking about escaping often warranted being taken and never coming back. Grinning, he stepped back and pointed at the door to his cell, hurling a blast of psionic power at it!

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c212/EmbodimentOfRomance/rassendyll-forum1.jpg
"Ah! After ten thousand years I'm free! Its time to conquer [insert location here]!"

Using Mind Thrust (Unaugmented).
Attack: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]

Leolo
2012-12-04, 06:14 AM
Whatever had caused the other cell door to shatter - this time it has no effect at all.

AvianMalkavian
2012-12-04, 06:33 AM
Rassendyll (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=475576), Tiefling Elan Psion
He blinks, looking at his hand for a moment in confusion and disbelief. Rassendyll growled, fists clenching in rage. He would not be contained! He would not be denied! He would not spend eternity in this forsaken place! Around him several spheres of energy formed, spinning at a frightening pace to match the maddening fury that roiled within his very soul. Thrusting his hands out toward the door, he began firing them at it, using as many as it took to free himself.

Using Force Spheres. A daily, I know, but Rassendyll really wants out. The power grants him four of the spheres that go away either at the end of the encounter or after he expends them. He'll fire as many of them as necessary to tear the cell door down. Let me know how many it takes.

Attack 1 (vs Reflex): [roll0]
Damage: [roll1] Force Damage

Attack 2 (vs Reflex): [roll2]
Damage: [roll3] Force Damage

Attack 3 (vs Reflex): [roll4]
Damage: [roll5] Force Damage

Attack 4 (vs Reflex): [roll6]
Damage: [roll7] Force Damage

Leolo
2012-12-04, 06:44 AM
In fact, just as he is about to look up - to shoot angrily the missiles at that dammed door all he can see is a wall.

The door to his cell is gone, and he is looking at the wall that a moment before was behind him.

I'd say your daily is not expended as you can see that your target has vanished.

Tricycle_Knight
2012-12-04, 08:41 AM
Seeing that the locks can indeed be broken open, the baron decides to try his hand at a potential escape; now seems a good a time as any, and at least two other prisoners have similar ideas. Looking at the lock for a moment, he musters as much of his profane power and rams his palm into the device, attempting to batter it open with sheer physical force.Alright, the baron is going to try Vampiric Slamming the lock open. Attack: [roll0], [roll1]

Irish Musician
2012-12-04, 09:45 AM
Iltz'roos Morvyndis (http://iplay4e.appspot.com/characters/agdpcGxheTRlchQLEgtDaGFyYWN0ZXJWMhjckaIHDA), Sorcerer of Lolth
After years and years of being in the cell and not being able to really use his magic, Iltz'roos' magics bursts forth out of his, completely disintegrating the door. He looks at it with a quite confused and dumbfounded look, and then stirs into action before another door replaces it. He immediately goes to his sister's cage. "I am free Phaere, though I am still not sure how. I shot the door with my magics, and the door just turned to dust. I guess being stuck in that cage for so long built up my powers to greater proportions." He smirked at her and looked around at her cage, "Now lets see if we can't get you out of here, dear sister, before that awful wizard knows we are here."

He is going to use the same spell in the lock again, trying to blow the lock off the door. Vs door's Ref [roll0]
Damage - [roll1], [roll2] Thunder Damage, and that type of damage I get 5 resist to UEMNT.

Leolo
2012-12-04, 11:32 AM
The effort of the baron is wasted on the door, it doesn't even move.

But maybe it is better this way? The drows feet start feeling weird hard and when he looks down the dust he walked over had covered his bare feet. It's color has changed somehow, into a stony grey, and one moment later the skin at his feet is doing so, too.

A trap!

@iltz: please make a save at the end of your next turn.

AvianMalkavian
2012-12-04, 03:23 PM
He howls in rage as the door to his cell simply disappears, "DAMN YOU, MEZZRAYN! I WILL TEAR OUT YOUR EYES FOR THIS YOU MAD OLD CODGER!"

Taking a few moments to collect himself and calm down, he begins looking about his cell for some means of escape. After all, any prison could be broken out of, one just needed to find the fault in its security. The eyes of the tower closing certainly seemed like the best fault that could be exploited. He wasn't being watched anymore, but it seemed that these hideous confinements would not part with him so easily.

Making some skill checks to see if Rassendyll can't figure out what's going on here and find some kind of means of escape, be it mystical or mundane.

Perception: [roll0]
Arcana: [roll1]

Leolo
2012-12-04, 04:11 PM
Everything seems magical here, as you'd expect in a wizards tower. The kind of enchantment is beyond Rassendyls understanding of the arcane arts. He does notice something though: the walls seems to have switched and the door is now behind him as if this would be part of a game and someone is toying with you.

AvianMalkavian
2012-12-04, 04:46 PM
Rassendyll takes a deep breath, calming himself again before simply sitting back down and opening his book where he last left off, "I will not play your game, you bastard. You will find your entertainment somewhere else. I have all of eternity, until the day that this tower falls apart from the ravages of time and beyond, to escape."

Kaiisaxo
2012-12-05, 10:21 AM
Lucille (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=474038) the Cursed Oracle of Evil Eyes

Pain, hate, despair, those were all the emotions Lucille could feel. She would be relieved to be free from all of the other people's dirty minds and hearts, if it wasn't for all of those damn eyes that never ceased to watch. Cold, impartial, restless, endlessly and tirelessly there, watching, judging, rejecting. The worst part of it is she couldn't feel better about it since the eyes had no sins of their own, they were entirely devoid of emotions, of desire, or lust or hate, yet they were there, pointing at her. Even in this void she was being rejected and hated.

Then suddenly those things shut down, they vanished from existence, for once she was finally at peace, but for how long?. She indeed needed to escape, covering half of her face with her long hair she got up from her almost fetal position and started to look for a way out.

suzaliscious
2012-12-05, 09:01 PM
Akmenos, Tiefling Warlord

Akmenos' eyes flew open with a start.

There was little to do in the cells. Little to do but slowly lose your grip on sanity: First day by day. Then hour, then minute, then second - with each ticking moment that went by, a piece of him was lot with it. The Tower of Eyes imposed two of the worst punishments possible on any thinking being - isolation and constant scrutiny.

So Akmenos took up meditation. He had never been an overly spritual person or a very thoughtful one. But he quickly found out that the only way to prevent being reduced to a screaming, gibbering wreck of a person was to close his eyes to shut out those surrounding him and immerse himself in thought. He shut out reality on a daily basis, thinking back to his glory days and indulging in fantasies of revenge - and escape.

For a moment, Akmenos was unsure. Unsure if his eyes were still closed or not. Maybe, just maybe, after all this time, he'd immersed himself in the dream so completely, it was now his world.

An explosion snapped him out of his reverie. Akmenos blinked. Somewhere, somehow, right now in the Tower of Lids, someone was escaping his cell.

"Introspection must wait," he murmured to himself. "I doubt I can sit by and do nothing on the off-chance this is actually happening." Rising from his cross-legged position on the floor, he paused for a moment. Then he rushed to his cell door.

"You!" Akmenos boomed out. "Hey, whoever blew his door open! Are you all right?" Akmenos paused for a reply. "If you're encountering some resistance, I can help, if you get me out of here."

That was of course, directed at Iltz. It depends a little on the reply, but if he replies in the affirmative, Akmenos will use Adaptive Stratagem on Iltz, giving him a +3 power bonus to both damage rolls and saving throws.

Irish Musician
2012-12-05, 10:42 PM
Itlz looks over his shoulder and smiles and points his finger right at Akmenos. Right at the last second his hand moves down to Akmenos' lock and shoots off his arcane energies at it, hoping to break him out.

Actions
Energy Strobe against the lock vs Ref [roll0]
Damage - [roll1], [roll2] (Fire) damage, and that type of damage I get 5 resist to UEMNT.

Save [roll3] (Whoohoo!)

Just FYI, Suz, Iltz's Energy Strobe can be used as a Basic Ranged Attack :smallbiggrin:

FatherVenom
2012-12-05, 10:49 PM
Karash

Karash gets up from his usual meditative cross-legged postition on the floor. His single mindedness and devotion to Malar keeping the insanity from him.
Yes, free us, freed one. There is work to do.

Karash pauses.

Please.

Karash inspects the door (in the dark) just in case aid doesn't come
[roll0]

suzaliscious
2012-12-06, 03:30 AM
Akmenos, Tiefling Warlord

Akmenos' lips curled into a smirk of a smile as the Drow's finger dropped to point at his lock. "I like him," he thought to himself. "I'm Akmenos, Sorceror. I think the two of us'll get on like flames on an orphan." Akmenos spoke like he would to one of his comrades, letting his natural tendency to direct and encourage people take over. "You've blasted one door already, now let this one have it too. I can see you're a powerful one, brother. Let's show this prison that too, even through closed eyes!"

That was just me roleplaying Adaptive Stratagem. I feel that as a Resourceful Warlord power, it probably represents encouragement in a sort of, "I don't have a plan but we'll pull through because you're awesome" kind of way :smallbiggrin:

@Celtic: Duly noted :smallcool: