PDA

View Full Version : Economy of an RPG: Tips for Haggling, Bartering, Bargaining, and Dealing

PrinceOfMadness
2012-12-03, 02:52 PM
Just the other day, I was playing my Warcaster in our Iron Kingdoms RPG group, trying to sell off some ancient gems and jewelry we found in an old Iosan ruin.

I then came to the realization that I am extraordinarily bad at haggling. Unfortunately, I am the only party member with the Negotiation skill.

So I was wondering what tips people have for making deals in RPGs. Of particular interest to me would be trying to get a good price for an item from someone who knows its worth. Deal-making can include anything from selling looted swords to a merchant, to making deals with ancient and powerful beings.

Force
2012-12-03, 05:37 PM
It really depends on the DM. Haggling is really dependent on the culture. In some cultures, for example, one would promptly offer half the asked-upon price, then proceed to creatively insult the seller (while the seller did the same to the buyer). In the end, it was a battle of wits more than anything else.