PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a Ranged Class

Bluuegg
2012-12-03, 05:30 PM
Hello community,

I am looking for a class who's main niche' is built around a strong focus using ranged weapons in some way(non-prestige please). If I could compile a small list of classes from you guys that would be great!

Thank you in advance community!

eggs
2012-12-03, 05:44 PM
Archery is something WotC-produced classes didn't do especially well, especially non-prestige 3.5 classes. Even the classes that are made for ranged combat (Ranger, Scout, Warlock) tend to lack the abilities to really make it work without digging through big piles of resources.

You might want to check out the Archery Handbook (http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=2892.0) on this one. You'll notice class selection doesn't get a whole lot of space; that goes back to the previously-mentioned lack of class relevance to the bulk of archery's effectiveness.

The best single-classed archers tend to be the classes that are best at everything: (Specifically Artificer and Cleric in this case, but the same classes that are good at melee combat like the Barbarian, Psychic Warrior and Warblade are often very good at ranged combat).

The one class that might stand out as both a strong option and as a class designed to be an archer is the Mystic Ranger variant from Dragon Magazine #336. Combined with the Ranger's expanded spell list from Champions of Ruin and Spell Compendium, it comes out with full BA, archery bonus feats and a bunch of unique spells to back its archery abilities up.

Bluuegg
2012-12-03, 07:26 PM
Thank you for the reply and info Eggs(nice name btw ;-P)!

in regards to the casting classes you mention, i am mainly looking for a class that is almost strictly weapon based. I do appreciate all the info you gave though.

Gavinfoxx
2012-12-03, 07:33 PM
This, maybe?

http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=10961

Ryu_Bonkosi
2012-12-03, 07:54 PM
The main problem with a ranged attacker (IMHO) is that they lack the ability to boost their damage to reliable numbers while melee can literally turn groups of people into red mist in seconds.

If you want straight damage at a distance, a build to consider is a Swift Hunter (feat found in Complete Scoundrel). It's main deal is, you move before you attack and then you do bonus precision (Skirmish) damage. The main problem with this is that is isn't viable for a large group of enemies because you have to take a move action to activate the skirmish, then you only get the one attack. A way to fix this problem would be to take the Manyshot feat (and then the Greater Manyshot feat from Expanded Psionics Handbook to fix the problems with Manyshot asap). If the damage from the Skirmish isn't enough, you can look into the Improved Skirmish feat (also in Complete Scoundrel) which lets you do more damage if you move 20ft instead of 10ft. If skirmishing is too close quarters for you (30ft) then there is the Ranged Skirmish feat from Dragon Magazine 346 that lets you use Skirmish from 60ft away, but it requires Far Shot.

Now this is just one course you can go. But whatever you do, make sure you can grab the Splitting Enhancement from Champions of Ruin. This will DOUBLE (x2) your damage output.

gallagher
2012-12-03, 08:36 PM
Throwing build should do this fine. Look in Frostburn, find the harpoon. Then man that harpoon. Make it fleshgrinding, or returning and see how your DM deals with a returning weapon that deals damage twice if they fail a save. And that save will be pretty darn high with power throw and brutal throw, and the various other throwing build goodies.

But do you really want to have fun with this? Turn a druid's first move be throwing, have the rope attached to your animal companion, then smack its ass and have it run and trample and drag the target behind him. Then wildshape into something scary and roar.

Bonus points, have your animal companion be an ape. buy him a horse and have him throw the harpoon and ride the guy around. also give him a lance or longspear or something to charge around the place.

Strong enough mount and you could probably have several harpooned guys being dragged around.

gallagher
2012-12-03, 08:54 PM
OK OK ok I got it. Centaur druid with an ape animal companion. Get yourself an exotic saddle and have your ape ride you. You throw a bunch of harpoons with literally whatever you want enchantments on it.

Attach the ropes to yourself. Wildshape into the strongest thing you know. Run around dragging and trampling and charging and have your ape hold a lance and have him be the charger.

Venusaur
2012-12-03, 09:04 PM
Check out Bloodstorm Blade from Tome of Battle. You throw your sword/whatever weapon you use, let it bounce around, and catch it. The only problem is it doesn't work all that well as a ranged class before entering the PrC.
Hulking Hurler, Soulbow, Cleric (take Zen Archery and use Divine Power to win), and Whirling Frenzy Barbarian. Whirling Frenzy Barb is actually probably worth a dip for an extra attack anyways.

Amidus Drexel
2012-12-03, 09:05 PM
OK OK ok I got it. Centaur druid with an ape animal companion. Get yourself an exotic saddle and have your ape ride you. You throw a bunch of harpoons with literally whatever you want enchantments on it.

Attach the ropes to yourself. Wildshape into the strongest thing you know. Run around dragging and trampling and charging and have your ape hold a lance and have him be the charger.

In Soviet Russia, animal companion rides you!

Edit: Actually on topic... (sort of)

There's not much for archery, per se, but a lot of ranged builds I've seen involved thrown weapons (a la master thrower/bloodstorm blade).

Tarsten Corvus
2012-12-03, 09:44 PM
http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/fighter/archetypes/paizo---fighter-archetypes/archer

how about this??? Nice and simple

Gavinfoxx
2012-12-03, 09:47 PM
http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/fighter/archetypes/paizo---fighter-archetypes/archer

how about this??? Nice and simple

That sucks. +1 Damage at level 5 and every 5 levels thereafter? Please, don't make me laugh! This isn't AD&D!

toapat
2012-12-03, 10:10 PM
In my oppinion, i think a Sneak Attack Kensai varient (Dragon 310) fighter could do quite well with a bow (+1/+1 to attack and damage at paladin Smite Evil progression, then +10d6 sneak attack damage), so long as they were an elf to restore the lost weapon proficiencies needed

the significant problem is then that you loose 4 feats over an archery focused rogue.

Diovid
2012-12-04, 03:12 AM
No mention of the Fighter variant called Targeteer (from Dragon Magazine #310)? The Targeteer, aside from ranged-related abilities and feats, gains proficiency with two exotic ranged weapons.

toapat
2012-12-04, 11:32 AM
No mention of the Fighter variant called Targeteer (from Dragon Magazine #310)? The Targeteer, aside from ranged-related abilities and feats, gains proficiency with two exotic ranged weapons.

+5 Critical threat with dex to damage could be quite good with a bow.