PDA

View Full Version : Wanted: Combat Instructor

Suteinu
2012-12-03, 05:42 PM
Aside from Profession (Instructor/ Teacher), are there any other skills or feats that pertain to a character's ability to teach or otherwise impart advantage or advancement of skills or featsto another character? I seem to recall a feat from Dragon Magazine that would do something like that, but can't find it. The Profession skill would indicate proficiency at explaining and guiding a student, and Performance (Oratory, maybe Weapons Display from CW) would help, and of course Leadership is one way to open a school, but I'm looking for ways to give a student a bonus, say, while the instructor is watching him duel, or something.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2012-12-03, 05:59 PM
There's the spell Heroics from Spell Compendium that grants any feat you qualify for that's available as a Fighter bonus feat for 10 minutes/level. That can grant proficiency in a weapon, armor, or shield for training purposes leading up to actually gaining proficiency. The same goes for any feat it can grant.

Keep in mind though that pretty much every feat, skill, base class, prestige class, etc. can be self-taught, so a professional trainer in any D&D setting wouldn't really be in demand at all.

Darrin
2012-12-03, 10:04 PM
I seem to recall a feat from Dragon Magazine that would do something like that, but can't find it.

Probably Circle Master and Circle Student. Those are in the Dragon Compendium or Dragon Magazine #301.

There's also the Apprentice and Mentor feat in DMGII, but those don't really give you a bonus.

Taveena
2012-12-04, 01:35 AM
The Martial Lore skill from Tome of Battle is generally not a huge amount of use practically, but I can see it applying to something like that.

Suteinu
2012-12-04, 01:21 PM
Darrin:
I found the Circle Student/ Master feats you indicated (how could I have not thought of those?). Also, the one I was trying to remember earlier was in #310, Tutor (in the Rogue article).

I don't have access to DMG II right now; what do Apprentice and Mentor do, roughly?

Biff-:
You're right, of course, about such things not beingneeded, but I'm making a character for an urban, fluff-heavy campaign, and I'm creating a character who does combat instruction/ tutorials for a living (y'know, between adventures). Thanks for pointing out the Heroics spell; no matter how many times I go through that book, I always find something new!

Taveena:
A good reminder: he'll likely have at least a level or two of Warblade!

Telonius
2012-12-04, 11:28 PM
Exemplar has it for skills, starting at 2nd level. This could be of some use with Knowledge Devotion or Iaijutsu Focus.

Suteinu
2012-12-05, 04:55 PM
Telonius:
Where do I find Exemplar?