PDA

View Full Version : Use magic device questions

Phaederkiel
2012-12-03, 05:56 PM
Can I fool a Relic weapon (which needs a spellslot-sacrifice or the feat true believer and some HD) with use magic device? and how high should the check be?

and: do you know other alignment restricted Items I could give my nscs ?
I want the bard to have a fair shot of using them, but at a difficulty.

For example: how difficult is it to permanently wear something you should not be able to use (I found that faking an alignment is a 30 dc, but how often does my bard need to make the check? every hour?)

The srd seems to be down at the moment, so it might be some answers are in there.

Morcleon
2012-12-03, 08:16 PM
Can I fool a Relic weapon (which needs a spellslot-sacrifice or the feat true believer and some HD) with use magic device? and how high should the check be?

By RAW, no. Personally, I wouldn't allow it at all, as the flavor behind it is, your deity sees that you are a True Believer, and grants you special powers. A UMD check won't fool a deity. :smallwink:

and: do you know other alignment restricted Items I could give my nscs ?
I want the bard to have a fair shot of using them, but at a difficulty.

List of relics here. (http://www.realmshelps.net/magic/items/relics.shtml) Enjoy! :smallbiggrin:

For example: how difficult is it to permanently wear something you should not be able to use (I found that faking an alignment is a 30 dc, but how often does my bard need to make the check? every hour?)

The srd seems to be down at the moment, so it might be some answers are in there.

If you are using the check to emulate an alignment or some other quality in an ongoing manner, you need to make the relevant Use Magic Device check once per hour.

Here.

Phaederkiel
2012-12-03, 08:47 PM
exept olidamara, I think he 'd have some respect for using UMD for one of his rapiers.

Hmm. If I were inclined to allow the check, it better be high. As in 35 plus.

Are only relics burdened with alignment restrictions?

nedz
2012-12-03, 08:54 PM
SRD (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=d20/article/srd35) seems to be working.
There's an alternate version here (http://www.d20srd.org/).

Morcleon
2012-12-03, 09:37 PM
exept olidamara, I think he 'd have some respect for using UMD for one of his rapiers.

Hmm. If I were inclined to allow the check, it better be high. As in 35 plus.

Are only relics burdened with alignment restrictions?

Nah, there are things like holy/unholy/axiomatic/anarchic weapons, and other things.

Kelb_Panthera
2012-12-03, 10:00 PM
The alignment restriction isn't the major hurdle for relics. It's the necessity of either having the true believer feat or having to sacrifice a spell slot to the item each day.

UMD can't emulate the feat, IIRC, but you might just be able to get away with feeding the relic the energy from a pearl of power or some similar form of spell-slot storage. I'm not sure how RAW legal that would be though.

weckar
2012-12-04, 02:11 PM
If any class can have True Believer as a bonus feat, you could use the "emulate class feature" option of UMD: DC20.
I'm not sure if there's any class that can, though.

Morcleon
2012-12-04, 03:51 PM
If any class can have True Believer as a bonus feat, you could use the "emulate class feature" option of UMD: DC20.
I'm not sure if there's any class that can, though.

...have it emulate the Chameleon's floating bonus feat. :smallamused::smallbiggrin:

Phaederkiel
2012-12-04, 04:44 PM
hmm. how high would the dc be?

dc 20 (chameleon bonus feat: true believer)
plus
dc 30 (alignment restriction)

= 30? 50? or something in between? or making two independant rolls?

plus
dc? for the needed HD (if the character does not have them)

weckar
2012-12-04, 04:54 PM
UMD to imitate separate things always require separate rolls.