PDA

View Full Version : From the Fires of Death, I am Reborn[Prc]

TheOOB
2006-10-28, 09:04 PM
Phoenix Fire Warrior

The battle was going poorly, at this pace the minions of Iuz would be marching onto Furyondian soil by daybreak, and then it would all would be lost. “I'm going to personally engage the demon general, without her leadership we may just have a chance at victory here”, the lady paladin Lillia Alastor declared, dropping her cape to the ground and spreading out her brilliant crimson wings. Before the human generals could object she had taken of, flying across the Shield Lands twords the demon command post.

“You are a blight upon our land, remove yourself immediately!” was all the demon generall heard before Lillia's flaming blade came down upon her from the heavens, striking down his bodyguards and advisors. With that the two engaged each other in combat, the human paladin sheathed in an aura of flame fighting agienst the six armed demoness general of Iuz's hoard. After several moments of intense melee the demon's blade found it's mark, piercing the noble paladin in her heart. “You have lost human, you are weak like the rest of your kind, and in time I will kill them all like I have killed you today” The demon taunted. Lillia, using her last bit of strength, stood, up, coughing blood as she responded to the demon who defeated her “The blood of the firebird Telaster flows in my veins, I can not be defeated by the likes of you!” After breathing her last breath the paladins body exploded in a torrent of divine fire, destroying the foul demoness and giving the humans who saw the paladins noble sacrifice the hope they needed to fight back the demonic hoard.

The Phoenix is among the most majestic and powerful beings who fight alongside the forces of good. They are strong, elusive, and immortal. While fire birds rarely find reason to associate with humans, occasionally they will grant a mortal they deem worthy one of the greatest honors that one can be bestowed, witnessing a phoenix's death and rebirth. Any mortal who watches this ritual is fundamentally changed, as a small spark of the phoenix's life force melds with their own. Sometimes these mortals train themselves to bring out this latent energy of the “Phoenix Fire” resting within them, seeking to emulate the phoenix and gain it's power. These Phoenix Fire Warriors as they are called grow magnificent wings and gain a degree of control over the elements of fire and life. The most powerful of these warriors can even boast to possess a small amount of a phoenix's immortality.

Hit Die: d10

Requirements
To qualify to become a phoenix fire warrior, a character must fulfill all the following criteria
Alignment: Any nonevil
Base Attack Bonus: +7
Skills: Knowledge<arcana> 5 ranks
Feats: Iron Will
Special: Must make a journey to a phoenix's lair and observe a phoenix's rebirth

Good BAB(As Fighter)
Good Fort Save, Poor Refl Will Saves(As Fighter)

Special Abilities

1-Fire Resist 5, Detect Evil
2-Wings
3-Fire Resist 10, Flaming Weapon
4-Lay on Hands
5-Fire Resist 15
6-Flaming Burst Weapon
7-Fire Resist 20
8-Fire Aura
9-Improved Wings, Fire Immunity
10-Death and Rebirth, Timeless Body

Class Skills
A phoenix fire warrior's class skills(and the key ability for each skill) are Diplomacy(Cha), Handle Animal(Wis), Heal(Wis), Intimidate(Cha), Jump(Str), Knowledge<arcana>(Int), Knowledge<history>(Int), Sense Motive(Wis), Swim(Str)
Skill Points at Each Level: 2 + Int modifier

Class Features
All of the following are class features of the phoenix fire warrior prestige class.
Weapon and Armor Proficiency: A phoenix fire warrior gains no proficiency in weapons or armor

Detect Evil(Sp): Phoenix Fire Warriors can use Detect Evil at will as a spell like ability

Fire Resistance(Ex): Starting at 1st level a phoenix fire warrior gains fire resistance 5. This increases to fire resistance 10 at level 3, fire resistance 15 at level 5, fire resistance 20 at level 7, and finally immunity to fire at level 9.

Wings(Ex): At 2nd level a phoenix fire warrior gains a pair of magnificent fire-red feathered wings. Phoenix Fire Warriors can use their wings to aid in jumping (granting a +10 bonus to jump checks), to glide, and to fly for short periods of time.
Gliding: A phoenix fire warrior can use her wings to glide, negating damage from a fall from any height and allow 20ft of forward travel for every 5ft decent. Phoenix Fire Warrior's glide at a speed of 30ft with average maneuverability. Even if the Phoenix Fire Warriors maneuverability improves she cannot hover while gliding. A phoenix fire warrior cannot glide with a heavy load.
If a phoenix fire warrior becomes unconscious or helpless while in midair, her wings naturally unfurl and slow her decent. The phoenix fire warrior descends slowly in a tight corkscrew and only takes 1d6 points of falling damage, no matter the acual distance of the fall.
Flight: A phoenix fire warrior can fly at speed of 60ft(good maneuverability). A phoenix fire warrior cannot fly while carrying a heavy load or while fatigued or exhausted.
A phoenix fire warrior can safely fly for a number of consecutive rounds equal to her class level. She can double this length of flight but is fatigued by the exertion. The phoenix fire warrior is likewise fatigued after spending a total of more then 10 minutes flying per day. Because a phoenix fire warrior can glide before, after, and between rounds of actual flight she can remain aloft for extended periods, even if she only uses flight one round at a time without becoming fatigued.

Flaming Weapon(Su): At 2nd level a phoenix fire warrior may as a swift action to grant a weapon they wield the flaming quality for 1 minute. She may use this ability a number of times a day equal to her Charisma modifier(minimum 1). At 6th level this ability grants the flaming burst quality.

Lay on Hands(Su): This ability, gained at 4th level, is exactly like the paladin ability of the same name. If you have paladin levels they stack with levels in phoenix fire warrior for determining the amount of damage you can heal each day.

Fire Shield(Sp): At 8th level a phoenix fire warrior may use Fire Shield(Warm Shield Only) as a spell-like ability a number of times per a day equal to your Charisma modifier(minimum 1). The caster level for this effect is equal to her class level.

Improved Wings(Ex): At 9th level a phoenix fire warrior has enough power and stamina to fly without tiring. She can fly at a speed of 60ft(good maneuverability) with no more exertion then walking or running.

Death and Rebirth(Su): Once per month, when a phoenix fire warrior of 10th level or higher is brought dies, she explodes in a fiery torrent that destroys her body(but leaves her gear intact). This explosion has a 10' radius and deals 15d6 damage(reflex DC 20+Con Mod for half damage). Half of this damage is fire damage, but the other half results directly from divine power and is not subject to energy resistance.
10 minutes after the phoenix fire warrior dies in this matter she is reborn on the spot of her death as if she had a True Resurrection spell cast upon her.
This ability does not function if the phoenix fire warrior dies of old age.

Timeless Body(Ex): This ability, gained at 10th level, is exactly like the druid ability of the same name.

Halcyon_Dax
2006-10-29, 01:56 AM
Hmm, I like it, But about the Death and Rebirth, correct me if I am wrong, but it is based off of the final jade pheonix mage ability? If not you might want to check it out (Tome of Battle). Well, the Jade Pheonix move is Death and Rebirth only superior in every way. It can be used once a week, does 20d6 damage, dismisses outsiders, and you come back in 1d6 rounds, rather than 10 minutes. Also, keep in mind that this will be available at its earliest at 17th level, and that this is the awsome technique of the class.

True, Emerald Immolation doesnt happen reactively on death like this one does, in fact, it doesnt specify how quickly you can activate it, but I think a resonable DM would allow it to activate on a lethal blow, IF the character was readying it (Ex: Not sleeping/Mindcontrolled/Fell off a bridge)

Otherwise, nice class, I really think it is pretty balanced, Id just like to see a stronger Death and Rebirth.

Dhavaer
2006-10-29, 02:01 AM
Strange, I was thinking Death and Rebirth was too powerful. Allowing you to automatically come back after dying, dealing a very powerful attack in the process, once a month, seems to be very, very good.

TheOOB
2006-10-29, 02:02 AM
I have not had much of a chance to browse through Tome of Battle. I was worried that allowing a true ressurection too often would be too powerful, but once a month is a little limiting, but I'm not sure.

Mr. Moogle
2007-05-24, 09:41 PM
Once a week would fit more, i mean thats the primary ability of this class, but their is still a lingering aftertase of own that i cant seem to shakr.

Matthew
2007-06-06, 07:40 PM
I liked the flavour text for this, but I am wondering whether this ought really to be a Template, rather than a Prestige Class?