PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Armored Kilt

FatherMalkav
2012-12-03, 09:11 PM
So how does this work? The SRD is a little lacking on information. It says the item can "Can be worn alone or added to existing suits of armor" but does doing that add the Armor/Shield Bonus to the other item in exchange for raising it's armor type (light to medium, medium to heavy) or is it just fluff to cover your legs?

BIGMamaSloth
2012-12-03, 09:18 PM
http://www.d20pfsrd.com/equipment---final/armor/armored-kilt

Ya, basically it gives you an extra 1 AC in exchange for a 1 heavier armour type. It can also help you be an eternal scottish warrior, though.

Psyren
2012-12-03, 10:37 PM
Can it also get properties added? Enhancement bonuses wouldn't stack obviously, but could you for example put spell resistance on your armor and greater fortification on your kilt?

Wyntonian
2012-12-03, 11:30 PM
Can it also get properties added? Enhancement bonuses wouldn't stack obviously, but could you for example put spell resistance on your armor and greater fortification on your kilt?

I find it oddly appropriate that the thing with fortification is hanging over your junk.

And yeah, it just makes your armor a little more modular, for when you don't give a damn about speed/ACP.

Coidzor
2012-12-03, 11:41 PM

Oh my goodness! It's like the chahar-aina and that other thing for the arms whose name I forget at the moment, only for PF! :smallamused:

edit: Dastana~

grarrrg
2012-12-04, 12:20 AM
So how does this work? The SRD is a little lacking on information. It says the item can "Can be worn alone or added to existing suits of armor" but does doing that add the Armor/Shield Bonus to the other item in exchange for raising it's armor type (light to medium, medium to heavy) or is it just fluff to cover your legs?

Well, that's the thing.
Is it more "counts as essentially being one with the other armor"?
Or is it more "counts as essentially a handless shield"?
Or "other"?

Basically, when paired with other armor, do you get "none", "1", or "1+bonus"?
Ask your DM, unless someone can find Errata/FAQ.

Thankfully, the AC bonus is the only thing that is really questionable.
The Max Dex of +6 takes priority over any Max Dex of +7 or more you may have, and is in turn overridden by any Max Dex of +5 or less.
It has 0 ACF and 0 Spell Failure, so no problems there.
Speed is obviously handled by weather it's worn on its own (light) or with something else (med/heavy).

Worst case scenario?
It weighs 10lbs., slows your speed by a category, gives no AC, and limits your DEX to +6. BUT gives you a 2nd set of Armor Enchantments to play with.

Best case scenario?
Similar to the above, except you get up to +6 AC out of the deal.

Of course, we all know that it's PRIMARY use is for Mages to run around with Armor and 0% Spell Failure :smalltongue:

Slipperychicken
2012-12-04, 01:40 AM
I honestly hope you can't enchant the Kilt separately. If it does, every adventurer will wind up looking like stereotypical Scotsmen in the name of optimization.

If it's optimal to weild a two-handed claymore Greatsword and wear a kilt... maybe Paizo has some kind of hidden Scottish-supremacist agenda.

Anderlith
2012-12-04, 01:47 AM
So... you could stack it with a "belly warmer" (or Silk armor if you want to be a buzzkill) from Ultimate Combat for even better caster gear

grarrrg
2012-12-04, 01:50 AM
I honestly hope you can't enchant the Kilt separately. If it does, every adventurer will wind up looking like stereotypical Scotsmen in the name of optimization.

If you can NOT enchant it separately, then what becomes the point of it?
Assuming no enchantments, the best you get is +1 AC, at the cost of carry weight/land speed.

I'd say either you get NONE of the AC, but all the other Enchantments apply in full.
OR
ALL the AC applies (including Enhancement) when wearing (other) Armor, and none of the other enchanted bonuses.

Otherwise, if none of the bonuses apply when wearing Armor, then the only ones who would even bother with it would be Arcane Casters, excepting those with phenomenally high DEX, and/or downright pitiful STR. And then you'd just have EVERY MAGE EVER being 'scottish'.

Roog
2012-12-04, 03:22 AM
It's just badly written, and there is no answer to these questions.

Look at where the item came from. Ultimate Equipment took it from Adventurers Armory, where it was an conversion of Pathfinder Chronicles Campaign Setting to Pathfinder RPG rules.

I would not be surprised if even the writers had no clear idea how it was meant to work.

Teron
2012-12-04, 03:29 AM
This kind of item has always annoyed me. I don't think you can have specific armour pieces alongside "full plate" as a single item and end up with any sort of sensible system.

Psyren
2012-12-04, 12:22 PM

Honestly I have no problem with this. At the moment, there's no reason at all to wear medium armor, so this sort of provides one.

Starbuck_II
2012-12-04, 01:16 PM
If you can NOT enchant it separately, then what becomes the point of it?
Assuming no enchantments, the best you get is +1 AC, at the cost of carry weight/land speed.

I'd say either you get NONE of the AC, but all the other Enchantments apply in full.
OR
ALL the AC applies (including Enhancement) when wearing (other) Armor, and none of the other enchanted bonuses.

Otherwise, if none of the bonuses apply when wearing Armor, then the only ones who would even bother with it would be Arcane Casters, excepting those with phenomenally high DEX, and/or downright pitiful STR. And then you'd just have EVERY MAGE EVER being 'scottish'.

Wouldn't casters wear no ASF armor: Haramaki or silken ceremonial armor instead?
But Armored Kilt is just as good, but twice as expensive.