PDA

View Full Version : [4E] Zeitgeist: The Gears of Revolution

Tukka
2012-12-03, 09:29 PM
https://dl.dropbox.com/s/k9yhyylawrt6424/sigpic63_7.gif.jpg
In Character Thread
[Link to OOC Thread] (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=14299717&goto=newpost)

[OOC: Go ahead and read the spoilered info for your group. After that, you may interact with the rest of the party and specify your actions. You may want to start with some IC introductions and an explanation of what the hell you're doing on the island. For Saradoc, John and Aurora, everything up to the the third to the last paragraph in your spoiler should be old info, but you may want to read it for a refresher.]

The Exploits of Aurora, John and Saradoc

The royal constables Saradoc Montajay II, Kintaro, Mikal, Ialia Verankht and John Tinton were tapped to provide security at the launch of the RNS Coaltongue. That night, the Duchess of Etheyln of Shale -- King Aodhan's sister -- attempted to assassinate her brother by sabotaging the new warship. The constables were able to heroically avert disaster and captured a two of the conspirators -- a halfling assassin posing as a pastry chef, and the Duchess's handmaiden, a rare eladrin female named Sokana. The Duchess herself escaped on some sort of enormous sea monster, which only Mikal and Saradoc were able to catch a brief glimpse of.

During Sokana's short interrogation (Principal Minister Harkover Lee insisted on having experts in Flint carry out the full interrogation), she warned the constables against trusting the rival nation of Danor and further distancing Risur from the traditions of the Old Faith that had appeased the archfey for so long.

In the days that followed, the constables were taken off the case and given other routine work to do, and King Aodhan made a brief speech in which he announced that in the interest of further normalizing relations with Danor, that a peace summit will be held in one year's time, and that to seal the new treaty he intends to marry a Danoran. The announcement was controversial, but vocal dissent was subdued, partly as a result of a rise in patriotic solidarity in the wake of the Duchess's treachery.

Days later, the constables were called into a meeting by their boss, Assistant Chief Inspector Stover Delft. Also present was Danor's Minister of Outsiders, Lya Jierre. The two informed the constables of a development that had not yet become common knowledge: after escaping the Coaltongue, Duchess Ethelyn had mounted a successful invasion on a Danoran-held territory in the Yerasol Archipelago called Axis Island. In order to maintain the fragile peace between the two countries, the constables were tasked with a mission to assist the Danorans in retaking the island from the Duchess and her rogue forces.

Specifically, the Flint constables were ordered to assist a more experienced RHC team from Slate (dubbed "Team A") in the primary mission of infiltrating the Axis Island fort and opening its sea gate so a Risuri naval force could move in and overwhelm the rebels.

The Flint constables ("Team B") were given the secondary objectives of finding and capturing the Duchess Ethelyn if she is present, and preventing her escape by any means necessary (Saradoc, as a spirit medium, would interrogate her in the event of her death). Lya Jierre also made a personal request of the constables: that they find and protect her younger cousin, Nathan Jierre, whom she insists is a defenseless innocent. She fears the Duchess may be tempted to make Nathan a target of her wrath simply because he is a tiefling.

Though Minister Jierre was quite forthcoming about the military installations present on the island, after she left, Delft told the constables to be wary, as he suspects the Danorans are still hiding something. Then he sent the constables off to the quartermaster to receive some special mission-critical supplies (material components, and scrolls of Animal Messenger, Water Breathing, Passwall and Pyrotechnics).

Unfortunately, tragedy befell Team A early on in the mission -- an underwater cave-in resulting from a planar fluctuation killed all of Team A with two exceptions: Burton, the team's resident surgeon and infiltration expert, whose leg was crushed beyond use, and Aurora, a skyseer and druid who was attached to Team A for training. Team B arrived at the site of the cave-in, and Kintaro was knocked unconscious by a secondary cave-in.

Team B and Aurora brought the incapacitated constables into the mine that Lya Jierre had previously informed them of, but the party was attacked by a jittery Danoran foreman named Nicolas Dupiers. Dupiers was assisted by a pair of elementals (one of earth, one of shadow). After taking a few hits, the constables were able to convince Dupiers that the Risuri forces that had attacked the islands were a rogue faction, and that the RHC had been sent to help return the island to Danoran control.

After the situation had been defused, the constables had a few questions for Dupiers. He explained that unusual magical phemonana like planar fluctuations are known to occur on Axis Island, and that their structures (such as the excavated portions of the mine) are reinforced with iron, which prevents the fluctuations from occurring. The constables were also curious about a hand-sized golden medallion that was embedded in a fragmented pillar at the center of the chamber where they had fought. Dupiers is in possession of two similar medallions, and he attributed his control of the elementals to the objects. Dupiers had "secured" the two medallions from a safe to prevent them from falling into enemy hands, and was on his way to the chamber to claim another elemental protector when the constables arrived.

Dupiers instead surrendered the third icon to the party, which revealed a small air elemental. John (in the guise of a Risuri primalist named Tin Tau) inspected the icon and determined that its magic would only function in the vicinity of the island, and that it has the added benefit of allowing its bearer to make incredible leaps with ease. The engravings on the icons and the pillar in which the third icon was embedded looked quite ancient. Aurora was able to determine that the party's medallion depicts The Eagle constellation, which is said to have influence over the plane of Avilona.

The constables then decided to move on, leaving Dupiers to tend to Kintaro and Burton. The constables emerged from the mine, greeted by a deserted battleground. Trees were scored by swordstrikes and arrows, and were partially uprooted. Also, the ground around them had been recently overturned. The constables did not linger, and set off to the north, moving in the direction of the Axis Fort.

Along the way, they heard the sound of something massive moving through the forest. Aurora went to investigate, and witnessed the cause of the commotion: a decapitated iron golem, blindly plodding away from the mountains and dripping a strange black oil with motes of white light suspended in it. Aurora collected a small sample of the strange substance, then returned to the party.

About an hour later while making their way over the rugged mountain terrain, the party was gripped by a sensation of vertigo as another planar fluctuation warped reality around them. The black sky is replaced with an eerie purple, and the ground below them is a gray muck.

A wind blows heart, and a vicious gust knocks Ialia and Mikal off their feet, sliding down the hill into what looks like a puddle -- but when they make contact with the surface of the puddle, it stretches and pops like a slimy membrane, and the two constables disappear a pit of indeterminable depth. The other constables struggle to reach the pit while being taunted by the cacophanous croaking of yellow frogs. The winds turn against the against constables, and the world soon begins to flicker darkly around them again.

Then Saradoc, Aurora and Tintau (John's alias for this mission) find themselves back in the normal world, with Ialia and Mikal nowhere to be found. The party reluctantly continues towards their destination. They make it through the mountains without further mishap and enter a forest and move north towards the fort.

While traveling through the forest, a gout of flame issues from the forest, some hundred feet away. The constables move to investigate. What they find are another three constables, but not the ones they set out on this mission with...
The Exploits of Aeric, Leif and Taral
Thirteen days ago, the constables Aeric Silverspur, Leif Haust and Taral Kasha boarded the RNS Goshawk, setting out on a mission to patrol the Avery Sea to the west of Flint. The mission was intended partly as a follow-up to some arrests the constables made that revealed the names of couple ships suspected of carrying contraband Drakran military-grade weapons, and partly as an opportunity to round out the constables' training with some maritime experience.

Four days into the journey, the constables were sailing in the vicinity of the city of Shale, when the ship's lookout spotted a fleet of ships sailing north. The Goshawk's captain ordered a change in course of intercept. The fleet were identified as friendlies -- Risuri Navy vessels. The lead ship, a galleon, signaled the Goshawk by aldis lamp, and indicated that it should join formation. Shortly thereafter, the ship received a confirmation of orders detailing the ship's grim change of mission.

It turns out that the fleet had assembled in response to fresh intelligence indicating that the Danorans are engaged in a military buildup in the Yerasol Archipelago on Axis Island, which is within spitting distance of Shale -- a city which nearly fell in the last war. The plan was to confront the Danorans and demand that they allow an inspection of the island to occur, and to take over the island by force if they refuse.

Unfortunately the Danorans refused, and the battle began -- a battle that everyone feared might by the first in the Fifth Yerasol War. A few hours into the fight, the Goshawk was blasted by Danoran cannon fire from, and all three of the constables were badly injured, and the crew was forced to abandon ship.

The Risuri attack was successful, however. The Danorans were forced to abandon the island's most fortified position, the Axis Fort, and the constables were moved into an infirmary within the fort. The concerned Risuri medics refused to allow the constables to leave the makeshift hospital for two days while they recovered, but on the third day, the party received an unexpected summons from the Duchess Ethelyn of Shale.

"I wanted to meet you constables personally, to impress upon you the importance of the mission I am about to give you," she began.

"The Danorans are up to something here. I have received preliminary reports of strange factories in the villages. We need to find out what the Danorans were up to here, but I have few trained investigators at my disposal.

"Our forces are about to make a push into the heart of the island. You constables will be embedded with Firbolg Company, but I want you to avoid the front lines -- I need investigators more than foot soldiers right now."

The Duchess goes on to explain that your mission is to investigate any factories or anything else unusual that may shed light on what the Danorans are doing on the island. The constables don't have to stay with the company at all times, and warns that if they get separated, Taral in particular might be in for a rough time if he's separated from a group of soldiers that know his face -- given most of her peoples' feelings towards tielflings.

The party does as the Duchess asks, and begins a week-long expedition into the island's interior. The company encounters pockets of Danoran resistance over the first few days, but towards the end of the week, the Risuri forces begin to find Danoran settlements and installations that have been abandoned. The constables get the sense that many members of the company are uneasy.

"This is a playground of the fey," claims one soldier, "but nobody here respects them with tribute, so they run wild and play cruel tricks on anybody who dares set foot on the island.

One such trick is the fact that compasses don't work on the island -- they simply spin on their axes, hence the name of the island.

The company's First Sergeant, Elrik Ryan mentions that he fought here in the war and he saw things that made him hope he'd never have to return, but he doesn't offer specifics. A druid attached to the company explains that the island is "lies too close to the land of the infernals," that it's at the periphery of "the curse of the Malice."

Among the constables' discoveries were a pair of firearms factories, as well as another factory with the purpose of refining gemstones into adamantine. The factories were not powered by firegems or traditional steam power, but instead seemed to utilize some sort of localized arcane power source.

Other discoveries included a mine with walls embedded with iron spikes at regular intervals -- approximately 30 feet apart, as well as what appears to have been an archeological dig site, with eroded pillars and walls stone, carved with primitive depictions of humans and animals.

The dig site appeared to have been hastily abandoned. The constables wanted to explore the site a bit more thoroughly -- the three constables could cover ground faster than the company, so stayed behind to finish up their investigation of the dig site, and to catch up with the company down the road.

There, the constables discovered one particular item of note -- beneath one empty crate, the party found a map that looked to depict the island, criss-crossed with different colored lines that intersect at a handful of points across the island. After collecting the map and taking a rubbings of the carvings, the party moved to catch up with the company.

After traveling about a half mile up the road, the constables came upon a gruesome sight -- the corpses of most of Firbolg Company, scattered along and beside the road. The bodies were soaking wet, and appeared to have drowned, in spite of the fact that there were no bodies of water in sight. The captain's body and about a dozen others were nowhere to be found, and a search of the immediate area turned up nothing.

Hours later, after night had fell, the constables were returning to the fortress to report the loss of Firbolg Company and their other discoveries, when a gout of flame issued from the forest, a couple hundred miles away. The party moved to investigate, and unexpectedly encountered another trio of constables...

Falconknight06
2012-12-09, 12:31 AM
The slaughter of Firbolg company weighs on Aeric's mind a bit, as he is not much accustomed to death, except in the stories his parents told about the war. But he steels himself to do his job, moving silently towards where the burst of flame was, walking a bit ahead of the group to scout a bit for the group. As the stealthiest member of the party, he felt that this was his job.

He was unprepared to see another group of three making their way towards the odd sight. His hand moved instinctively to his pistol, which he drew and approached the other group saying Halt in the name of the RHC! No funny business, I have a gun. Aeric's accent, no matter how light, marks him as being from Ber. Any who look at him see a green-eyed half-elf of a little over five and a half feet tall with short brown hair, in leather armor and a dark green shirt. He sports a red cloak, and he is holding a well-made, highly decorated pistol. Any of a religious bent might recognize the holy symbol of Sehanine embossed on his pistol.

Stealth roll to see if they hear me coming up behind them before he gets there
[roll0]

And Intimidate if needed
[roll1]

Tegu8788
2012-12-09, 07:49 PM
Taral Kasha

Muttering to Leif beside him, "Sure, he sneaks around all stealthy like, then shouts out who we are, and that he has a gun. We ran across two Danoran weapons factories, and his pistol is intimidating. This is a promising start. I'm going to get myself shot on sight, aren't I?" He slips a pair of soft boots over his feet, he tries to circle around in the other direction, trying to flank with Aeric.

Shouting out is a deep, full voice, he bellows. "And so do I!" Taking a few more steps, he alters his cadence. "Ya know what, me too!" A few more steps deeper into the woods, in a gruff tone "Why, it seems that I'm also obscenely well armed!" Attempting to sound like his own battalion, he shouts out again, this time with a feminine voice, "Looks like we all have big guns boys. Perhaps you three would like to make your intentions clear, before we use your skulls for target practice. My boys have been a bit trigger happy later, and I don't see much reason to deny them their pleasure."

Bluff [roll0]

Infernally Clay
2012-12-10, 12:13 PM
"They are so not going to fall for this..." Leif sighed as Taral tried several different accents to fool the mysterious group.

Walking firmly into the open, between her two allies, Leif spoke plainly, "Just show yourselves before these two make us look any more incompetent."

Standing in a naturally imposing way, Leif's green eyes seemed to glow with confidence. Her hand rested upon on the sheath of her weapon, a simple gesture that said quite a lot. Even if she thought Aeric and Taral were being foolish, she wouldn't hesitate if they were proven right.

mullensmd
2012-12-10, 07:00 PM
Perhaps it was the fact that she'd just left two comrades on another plane- or perhaps she just didn't like the tone of the elf- but so it was that this 5' 11: shifter, without waiting to confer with the others, stepped forward and faced the trio of strangers. She glanced at the woman, pulling herself to her full height having learned that such things often impressed or intimidated others more than claws or teeth - and also knowing that men were men no matter the species, perhaps a good distraction from her hide clad hide would give the others a chance if things went sour. She spread her hands, empty, her staff still across her back.

"I am Aurora, Moonspeaker and Skyseer. Tell me, is the armed waylaying of strangers part of RHC training where you are stationed? It is not for my troop. Put away your weapons- it is clear that you have lost comrades as have we. Let us talk and then, if you are good, I might play with your big guns."

She smirked at the gnome.

Tegu8788
2012-12-10, 09:57 PM
Taral Kasha

The ruse clearly failing, and it turning out not to be needed, Taral removes his slippers, and marches into the clearing. He keeps a respectful distance, aware that his 6'2" body, bright red skin, pointed tail, and back sweeping horns, made him a threaten figure to anyone on alert for Danoran troopers. His shield strapped to his back, he rests his hands on his belt, palm lightly on his rapier's hilt.

"The comrades we lost were an entire troop we were attached to. We have been sent to investigate, and we have found many troubling things. And yes, I am a member of the RHC, despite my appearance. I am know as Taral, though I doubt you'd have knowledge of me."

He manages to refrain from making a comment about the druid's clear double entendre. He had played along with one bad idea tonight, he wasn't going to do it again. Fully visible, his golden eyes flicker with energy, the lack of pupil slightly disturbing to those unfamiliar with seeing his race up close. His tail flicks back and forth, waiting for a response from the new trio. His team did have them at a positional advantage, but it was clear they had training that outstripped his in the area, not to mention far better cohesion.

If things turned sour, especially if they were as well armed as Taral had pretended to be, this could go very bad, very quick. His best chance was to keep them talking, keep them off balance. Working as many undercover operations as he had, he was keenly aware that when people were talking, they tended to not be killing at the same time.

"We saw the torrent of flame spiral into the sky, and as investigators, we investigated. We've already found two arms factories, and with our company in the dirt, we are a bit jumpy, and finding you here after these series of events, you'll forgive our brusk reaction. Is this good enough for you, Aurora, or is there something else you'd like from us?" He ends the question on an open note, being minimally threatening. Those that feel they have the upper hand, tend to wait to use it.

Edit: As he finishes his last sentence, he draws his rapier. With it, he quickly looses a few branches from a nearby tree, and using that blade and his tail he quickly assembles them before him in the middle of the blast crater. Sheathing his blade he retrieves flint and steel from his pack, using it to start a small fire. Most of the boughs being quite green the fire was weak, but the flickering light cast foreboding shadows across his scarred visage. Using his bare hands, he poked and prodded the embers until he felt confident that the fire would sustain itself.

Tukka
2012-12-12, 11:57 PM
Taral's campfire puts out about as much light as a torch, casting flickering red-orange light on the faces of those gathered around -- enough to recognize the faces of some of your fellow constables from the RHC office in Flint. A nearby hill, some trees and brush should screen the light to at least some extent. (There is no crater nearby that you can see, though you could dig out a small pit.)

The small fire also provides enough light to reveal that some of the trees here have been lightly scorched. Apart from that, nobody notices anything out of the ordinary.

atomiclemming
2012-12-13, 12:52 PM
Tintau stays back a bit watching the exchange. He pulls back his own hood revealing bright blue eyes features that could pass for that of a half-elf.
"Yes you look familiar. we have seen you before once or twice.
but why are you here. We were told two teams not three. Who sent you to the island?"
He stands calm his hands down beside his robes as he shifts the bag strapped to his shoulder slightly to allow him easier access to the contents if need be

Tegu8788
2012-12-13, 04:12 PM
Taral Kasha

"Yes, I do suppose around our office I'm hard to miss." He runs a finger along the scar on his right cheek, up to his horn, then continuing backwards, a few stray strands of purple hair having fallen out of place. His long tail flicks to the other side of his body as he shifts his weight, preparing recount their recent adventures.

"Duchess Ethelyn of Shale embedded the three of us within Firbolg Company, under the command of Elrik Ryan. We have been investigating Danoran arms facilities, strange goings on in a mine delayed us, and when we caught up with the troops, we found most of them to be drowned, despite a lack of a body of water nearby. First Sergeant Elrik Ryan, and several others', bodies were missing. We were on our way when we saw the tower of fire spout into the sky. As investigation of the bizarre is our task, we came to discover what was the cause. This island has already claimed the lives of good men in unusual ways, I'd like to find out way and put an end to it."

He shifts back, tail flicking again, his arms crossed across his chest. He had been responsible for the deaths of men before, but they had always been bad men, and the causes never so unusual. It was unsettling, having no explanation of the cause, nor a reason for the slaughter. There was concern of infernals this close to the Malice's curse, and the Fey were always an issue, and given the bizarre precautions the Danoran's had taken, there was certainly something odd afoot.

Falconknight06
2012-12-13, 06:13 PM
Oh thank goodness Aeric will say as he recognizes his fellow RHC members and quickly putting his pistol away. I'm really sorry about the holding up. I've been a bit on edge after what we found of the troop we were traveling with. I believe the term "a bit rattled" might be the best way of putting it. I haven't had to deal with death on that scale before, and I wasn't thinking. Apologies. Aeric's voice cracks a bit as his nerves come tumbling out at his apparent anger causing actions. The earlier events of the night clearly confusing the young RHC member.

The odd wording is supposed to belay where Aeric is from, and that Primordial is not his native tongue.

atomiclemming
2012-12-14, 10:26 AM
Tintau tries to keep his face impassive at the sound of the Duchess's name but a look of worry crosses his eyes
"I agree some strange things have been occurring here at the island. Primal majiks and the like. How long ago did the Duchess send you here..
Had word of the HMS Coaltoungue reached your company in slate before you left?
If not I will tell you happened."
Tintau looks down for a minute lost in thought

Tukka
2012-12-14, 03:56 PM
For Aeric, Leif and Taral
You've heard some of the RNS Coaltongue in the news. It's a warship -- the first Risur has built that relies entirely on steam instead of sail for locomotion. As you recall, it has a wooden hull but iron plating, and features some arcane innovations as well. A christening and launch ceremony was to be held a day or two after you all left on your own mission at sea.

All of that is common knowledge in Flint, however. It seems as though Tintau is speaking of something more specific, and ominous.

An image of the RNS Coaltongue, which you might have seen as an artist's rendering in the Flint Tribune:
https://dl.dropbox.com/s/a9q5hcbv33xvy52/RNSCoaltongue.png

Tegu8788
2012-12-14, 05:45 PM
Taral Kasha

"She gave us our orders a little over a week ago, we left before the scheduled date to leave port, and we haven't exactly been kept up to date on such matters. If I recall it had some advanced engines, and other state of the art accoutrement. Metallic sheath on the hull, arcane modifications...

From your tone, I take it you know more pressing information than technical specifications?"

mullensmd
2012-12-14, 10:01 PM
Aurora will leave the telling of what happened to the Coaltongue, since she had not been present for the launching. Instead she approaches Aeric, takign his arm gently, going back to a more natural posture and tone of voice.

"On our mission I have had to watch as a cave in crushed all of my team save one- who is badly injured and not with us now. I've had to watch as two of my new comrades were sucked into a pit on another plane- just as we blinked back here."

She smiled a bit. "Your apology is accepted- and not needed. Believe me, I've felt like attacking the first person I saw as well- just to relieve the uselessness I feel now."

Edit: Her eyes flicked to the big Tiefling hearing his words, then returned to the elf with a more watchful cast.

Falconknight06
2012-12-15, 10:02 AM
Well, even if not needed, I apologize anyway Aeric will say, allowing his arm to be taken. I am also sorry for the loss of your teammates

atomiclemming
2012-12-15, 03:43 PM
Tintau nods." I suppose that makes sense then. We were assigned first to protect the launch and keep any troublemakers quiet and then upon the coaltoungue itself. It was indeed a fine pice of engineer. The engineer was a tiefling and had built a breathtaking combination of the arcane and the technological. I wish we had been given more time to study her. Such a beauty.... until she was sabotaged in attempt to kill the king...
She was infiltrated by a group working for someone close to the king. Very close. She had her own agenda apparently and now seeks to destabilize the relations between Danor and our kingdom. We are what's left of two groups sent to apprehend the traitor. She seems to have some truck with the primalists and is no stranger to magic either."
He waits for some reaction from the new group and then continues,
"I am sorry to inform you of this but by following your current orders , you have unwittingy been a pawn in all of this mess."

Tegu8788
2012-12-16, 01:00 AM
Taral Kasha

Letting out a heavy sigh, Taral pinches the bridge of his nose and shakes his head with closed eyes. This was not the first time that misinformation had let him to doing things had he would have to fight against later on. Pulling his head back but leaving his fist were it is, that hand shakes, emphasizing the points he makes. "Then it follows to reason this traitor was the one responsible for drowning our company in the middle of dry land. The Duchess suspected that there was something up on this island, suspicious of the Danoran's. We have found similar sounding devices in the abandoned foundries, engines powered by localized arcane energies."

Dropping his fist back to it's normal resting place on his rapier's hilt, he continues. "It would seem that there is certainly trouble, either the Danoran's are up to something and they are using this traitor to weaken us before an assault, or there is some faction within our government that seeks to start a war with my people and they have used this traitor and my allies to further that goal.

There is something rotten in Shale." He shifts his balance yet again, his tail quivering at the mention of my people. He was certainly loyal to the RHC, and disagreed heavily with the reckless developments in war technologies. But despite all of his reservations and disagreements with those in power, he still felt a connection to those that had his horns and tail. Maybe someday there truly would be peace between the people he loved and the government he supported.

atomiclemming
2012-12-16, 08:40 AM
Tintau nods , " Yes, misinformation, lies decict. I thought you might guess who the traitor was after all she is the one who sent you here. perhaps even to stir things up for her own ends. The duchess is who we were sent to bring in for her crimes. We saw her with our own eyes and her haindmaiden Sokana. Sokana and her henchmen used magic to ovverride the safeties on the ship and then attempted to cause it to explode. Wouldnt be surprised if it got blamed on the Danorians.. I hope she isnt tracking you right now.. we could all be in danger. She probably has eyes and ears everywhere.. watching.. "
Tintau pulls his cloak around him hiding is head as best he can , eyes darting back and forth looking for watching shadows

Tegu8788
2012-12-16, 10:28 AM
Taral Kasha

His hand tightens around his weapon, frustration at being someone's puppet, again, visibly irritates him. He furrows his brow as he focuses his mind, searching for any trace of a seventh presence. "I did not take anything from that meeting, nothing she could have enchanted. I don't believe either of my companions did either. If she is tracking us, it must be by different means. We haven't reported in for a while, in fact we are overdo. I suppose she won't be getting us to do her dirty work any further." He relaxes his clenched hand, and let's out another sign, this one smaller, a practiced mediative technique to allow him to move past his anger, and focus on the task at hand.

Arcana for anyone watching them. [roll0]

Tukka
2012-12-16, 10:34 PM
For Taral

Arcana for anyone watching them. (21)
You don't detect anything you'd attribute to a divination spell or ritual, nor anything you could attribute to magicks of concealment, but you do sense something odd... it seems like a strong flow of air mana stirring somewhere above you.

Tegu8788
2012-12-16, 10:58 PM
Taral Kasha

He glances upward at the night sky, peering at stars overhead. Taral runs his fingers over the star burst scar in on his left palm, a permanent reminder of a dark day in his past, that changed his live drastically. Blinking, he refocused his eyes to a wide, closer view. "I can't sense anyone watching us, but there is something about the air overhead, it's full magical energy. Possibly a leftover from the torrent of flame that drew us to this location." Tilting his head back down, he looks at the more experienced agents. "You wouldn't happen to have any ideas about the case of that fire, would you?"

mullensmd
2012-12-19, 02:45 AM
Aurora listened to the story that J- er Tintau told the Tiefling with almost as much interest as he. Sure, she had heard the official report of what had happened while her team- her original team- had been off chasing the wild geese and getting into ambushes, a side action designed by the Duchess to draw security away from the Coaltongue

She let her gaze follow the tiefling's upward, wondering what he gazed at when he looked to the stars. She stopped herself from settling in to her own stargazing- plenty of time for that later. She couldn't help but chuckle at his words, though.

"At the moment I have plenty of ideas about this fire- all of which are bad for us. Hopefully in the morning the stars will have cleared my sight on the matter."

She will then smile at Aeric and pat his arm before, finally, releasing it.

Falconknight06
2012-12-19, 11:23 AM
Aeric will return Aurora's smile and look around on the ground. He will also think on what Tintau had said, looking for his sincerity.

Insight roll time!
[roll0]

Please don't be terrible!

Tukka
2012-12-19, 01:00 PM
Aurora seems sincere.

Tegu8788
2012-12-19, 06:00 PM
Taral Kasha

Looking around the group, he takes the pulse of the situation, and decides it's time to move out. "Then I would suggest we get away from it. We left the Duchess not that far from here. Perhaps it is time that the three of us return to report our findings of the Danoran's activities. And while we do that, it would give you time to get into position, so that once she incriminates herself, we can all sweep in, cutting off any escape routes."

With a swift curved motion, he draws his blade and slices another set of branches from the nearby trees. Kneeling, he picks up some branches from the combusted trees, and uses the try and wet wood to craft several impromptu torches, using the small bonfire to light each one, then pass them around to the group. "To Axis Fort we go. It's time to make the Duchess to pay for having our men killed. I haven't needed to proper clean this blade in too long."

He marches off, holding his torch in his shield hand, using his rapier to move branches out of the way as he walks away from the pit and towards the fortress. The drowned faces of the men he had worked with flashed before his face as he walks through the darkness. Remembering what he knew of each solider, he began to wonder what happened of company's First Sergeant, Elrik Ryan, and the few others whose bodies had not been found. Had they been kidnapped by those that killed his company, or had they been the instigators themselves? Whoever was responsible for that massacre, Taral would gladly slide his blade through their chest. Murder was not his preferred way of dealing with problems, but in this case it was warranted.

There will be blood tonight!

Tukka
2012-12-19, 10:05 PM
On torches
Make a Nature check to determine the number and quality of your improvised torches.

Tegu8788
2012-12-19, 10:45 PM
Oh I'm gonna burn my arm off. [roll0]

And that is one of the best rolls I've made in a few months.

Frothingslosh
2012-12-20, 12:12 PM
Saradoc shakes himself out of his thoughts.

It's good to have more of the RHC at our back again. This island has a perplexing ability to remove my comrades.

To Axis Fort is right, Taral. However, the Duchess must come second. Our primary responsibility, now that our first team is incapacitated, is to open the island for the fleet to retake it. We must fulfill our duty to the RHC and Risur, before completing our more entertaining tasks.

Falconknight06
2012-12-20, 01:08 PM
I'm fine without the torch, makes me a target. The stars and moonlight lets me see fine thanks to my Elven heritage Aeric will say when offered a torch. He will then turn to Saradoc saying how do we open the island as it were? I've felt a bit of a magical dampening, but it seems that shouldn't prevent the steam ships from retaking the island. What is the plan?

Tegu8788
2012-12-20, 02:06 PM
Taral Kasha

"Aeric, my eyes are just as good as yours. We can use the torches until we are close enough to see the lighthouse. There is no need to be sneaky when there is no one that can see us. And we can cover more ground with sure footing, instead of trusting that shadows aren't rocks. And besides, we don't all have such good sight at night."

Using his sword, he moves a branch over his head, catching it with his tail so that it doesn't smack the person moving behind him. "Do you know if the soldiers manning the fort are traitors, or have they been manipulated like my team? If they are loyal, we can take out the poisoned head and have them assist us, but if they be traitors, then working around them, relying on the invasion force to give us the muscle we'd need to retake Axis."

I'm assuming, from previous post about it being so dark we could barely see each other, that it's so dark that even those of us with low-light vision need the assistance.

Can you give us any information that we would know about the fort's defenses, it's layout, the kind of things that would need to be done to open the island.

Tukka
2012-12-20, 08:52 PM
Taral manages to craft two decent improvised torches. They put out dim light in a burst 5 and should last a half hour to an hour or so.

Axis Island Map

The party is somewhere around the sixth white dot west of the Axis Fort. You're off the road, where some low, forested hills meet the slopes of the mountains.

https://dl.dropbox.com/s/xnu6takww7fjt8a/AxisIslandMap.png

Putting the fighting and the deadly magical fluctuations aside, the island is actually a pleasant place. It's warm, but a cool, ocean wind blows in from the north. Large boulders spring from the earth amidst tropical trees and brush.

However, as you move eastward, the foliage thins and grows more difficult to stay out of direct sight of the road. Everyone make a stealth check.

You guys can also discuss your plan for getting inside the fort and opening the sea gate in the next few posts. I'll assume the discussion took place before you started moving in earnest so it shouldn't count against your stealth checks.

Aeric, Taral and Lief got were at the Axis Fort several days ago, but weren't allowed free run of the place before they were sent out to patrol with the Duchess's soldiers. Still, they have some information they could share about the place (some of this the other constables would also know from their briefing). I'm going to assume they share all of this:

The walls of the outer fort form a pentagon, with "spokes" radiating out from each corner, a star fort-like configuration. The fort is somewhat battered from the Duchess's original assault -- the constables noticed rubble near a part of the south wall as they departed -- but it's still largely intact. The outer walls rise to a height of 60 feet and are reinforced with large iron runes.

Just inside the outer walls is the outer fort, where there are many buildings, most constructed of wood. A few of these had been destroyed in the assault, but again, most seemed to be intact. This area resembles a small town.

In the northern part of the fort there was what the constables could only surmise to be a harbor -- the outer walls stretch out into the ocean, but the entire harbor area is enclosed by a 40 foot wall, separating it from the rest of the keep. The lighthouse is built into a section of the outer wall that extends into the ocean.

There is also an inner keep in the center of the fort, surrounded by 40 foot walls. In the middle of the keep is a dome-capped tower. This inner fort area doesn't have any noticeable buildings apart from the tower. Instead it is surrounded by an open field -- which the constables noted was strangely overgrown with knee-high weeds. The constables met the Duchess in the tower.

It was impossible to get a great count of the number of people manning the fort. Patrols walked along the top of the outer walls looking out, but it seemed the patrols were too sparse to maintain a constant vigil of all approaches to the fort, so a stealth approach might be possible.
As for the loyalties of the troops in the fort, the assumption that Aurora, Tintau and Saradoc's superiors were operating under is that they're primarily loyal to the Duchess -- otherwise the Risuri Navy could simple sail up to them and order them to stand down, and the whole business with opening the sea gate would be unnecessary. Some troops, however, might have been deceived or coerced into serving. The rules of engagement allow the use of deadly force, but they want you to bring in the Duchess alive if possible.

atomiclemming
2012-12-22, 09:56 PM
Tintau produces a charcoal pencil and paper and sketches out the fort by torchlight so they can make a good plan of attack.
"If the duchess still thinks you work for her we might use it to our advantage, yes. I don't think she will recognize me right now. We can get in perhaps and open the gate. yes. "

[roll0] stealth

mullensmd
2012-12-23, 01:14 AM
As the Tiefling lit te torches Aurora moved with Aeric to the edge of the light. She also had little need of the bright light and, besides, she was a creature who enjoyed spending time in the gloom of night with no friends but the starsand planets. Besides, she felt walking with Aeric would be more fun than walking with any of the others. She walked mostly in silence, however, her mind occupied with the strangeness of recent events. She was sure that the planar fluctuations could explain all of it- but the fire bothered her- especially given her visions on previous nights.

([roll0] for my Stealth roll. Also, [roll1] for a Perception roll during the trip

She will watch Tintau as he draws his map, nodding at his suggestion of sneaking into the fort. "I am sure that she has never seen me, so I might be able to slip in as just another Druid- or some wild animal, perhaps."

Tukka
2012-12-24, 08:32 AM
The constables make their way stealthily towards the strobing light emanating from the fort. At one point, the party notices a light moving in their direction along the road that they're traveling parallel to, but manage to shield their own flame and stay under cover while what sounds like a squad moves past them.

Eventually the party nears the fortress, approaching from the west. You can make out the rough perimeter of the fort by the light shed by gaslights posted on the wall. The light is patchy, and those of the party with low-light vision can mark the occasional passage of a patrol along the walls. Only the gate seems to be on permanent watch.

The party lurks behind some brush and cover a couple hundred feet from the walls -- apparently undetected, for the present.

What do you do?

Tegu8788
2012-12-26, 11:17 PM
Taral Kasha

He takes a knee, stabbing the torch into the ground. Pulling out a small box, he opens it, revealing a number of brushes, paints, assorted pieces of rubber, and adhesives. He also draws out a small mask, and lays it on the ground. Retrieving a small cone, he places them on a small slate he draws from behind his back. Next to it he places a piece of chalk next to the cone, before finally drawing a pair of small slippers, and placing them next to his assembled gear.

Using the chalk and slate, he sketches what he can see for the benefit of those with poorer eyesight. Using the chalk, he marks points of entry."If we can sneak in, that would obviously be ideal. However, things almost never go according to plan. If things go sour, I believe if best if we are prepared for being caught. It would not be hard to pass me off as a captured arms dealer. A wild animal and an unarmed captured Tiefling that suddenly attacks the guards can turn the tide quite quickly.

But in hoping to prevent that from happening, I have a few little toys that may help us avoid that. I suggest we stick to the outer permitter as much as possible, and when we have to move though the light or past a guard, we do so as straight as possible, with confidence, and with purpose. You'd be amazed at the security I have walked by just be keeping my chin up and a steady pace."

When he finishes distributing the items of his trade, he will extinguish his torch, and draw his heavy gray cloak around his shoulders, lifting the hood and tipping his head back, so that it can pass over his horned head. A night this dark, his unusual features should be masked to anything but a direct observer, his tail wrapped around his waist.

Ok, that's a disguise kit that gives a +2 to bluff to pass of disguises.
The listening cone gives a +2 to perception for listening through walls/doors.
Finally, footpads that give a +1 to stealth to move quietly.

I got money, I spent money.

Frothingslosh
2012-12-27, 10:39 PM
I agree that stealth should be our route. Failing that, the prisoner deception is probably our best option. Aeric, Taral, and Leif are known to the Duchess, and at least some of her men. We are also known, albeit in a different manner. With your assistance with the disguise, we should be able to hide at least some of our weapons.

Tegu8788
2012-12-28, 12:13 AM
Taral Kasha

"I can place enough bruises and fake burns to on my face to make me look like a Danoran worker, or do the same to one of you, and a number of scars as well. While not exactly a prosthetic, I know how to make an injury look much worse than it is. A small scratch in the right place can provide a surprising amount of blood.

As for dealing with the Duchess, if you say our primary object is to get the sea gates open, then our first priority is to get past the guards. Once that is done, we can use the ensuing confusion to make our way to "report" to the Duchess. The second part we are less likely to need stealth, and more likely to need to quickly bluff our way past anyone we meet rushing to defend Axis from our naval forces.

We need to decide what cover is most effective for which segment of our insertion. Tintau, Lief, and Aeric shouldn't have too much difficulty blending in with the mostly human forces I saw. Aurora, if you can shift yourself into a pack animal of some sort, you can easily pass without suspicion. Saradoc, unless you'd like to be carried in insight one of my heavy sacks, we need an easier way to get you inside. A horse laden with a pair of full bags that wanders off towards the gate would not be the worst way for two of our parry to make it to the sea gate with our weapons and armor remaining hidden, however."

Taral looks around at the others, squeezing his left palm as he looks to the sky. His iridescent golden eyes glow in the torchlight as he looks back and forth between the assembled group. "Regardless, we don't have much time, and as long as we can take advantage of this dark cover, I suggest we use it. Time is not on our side, and whatever we choose to do, we do now."

Falconknight06
2012-12-28, 12:15 PM
I think if I take our "horse" laden with our gnome friend to the stables. The three of us can make our way to the sea gate to open it while the others provide a distraction of whichever way you might think is best Aeric will say. I'm not as skilled as Taral when it comes to bluffing, but I'm not exactly a slouch either.

Tegu8788
2013-01-02, 03:47 PM
Taral Kasha

He pulls out a pair of large bags, and returns most of the objects back to his bandolier. "Then let's go. Everyone, weapons you can't conceal or explain, go in the bag. Saradoc, you get in this one. Aurora, when you are in place, Lief will help you get these bags situated.

Once we get to the gates, let me do the talking." He points to the gnome, half-elf, and shifter. "You three get away as quickly as possible. The rest of us will join you as quickly as possible. Remember, a dead guard isn't reporting for duty, and a corpse is a clear sign that the jig is up. Now, let's move out!"

mullensmd
2013-01-03, 12:04 AM
Aurora nods and shifts, becoming a horse of the type normally used by the RHC. Pretty much a nondescript mare- nothing to attract a crowd.

*Nickers*

atomiclemming
2013-01-03, 03:42 PM
Tintau nods at the plan adjusting his bag and talking softly into into it.
He fingers his medallion idly (ooc cant remember if I eneded up with it) " I too have some tricks up my sleeve as it were.. plan should hopefully fool them though.. open the gate. "
"let's go watch out for duchess .. she is crafty.. watch out for everyone"

atomiclemming
2013-01-03, 03:48 PM
"I have an even better idea.. I can remove my disguise and be a prisoner captured by you. The duchess would be excited by my capture since e foiled her plot. If this is acceptable give me a few minutes to remove it"

Tukka
2013-01-04, 12:39 PM
As the party approaches the gate, they notice a commotion along the wall -- six soldiers in addition to the eight who had already been present assemble along the wall. Most of them are clad in leather armor and carry swords, but at the moments they have their bows ready with arrows strung, ready to let loose a volley.

There's also a man with dagger in hand and an orb hanging from a chain on his belt. An aged half-elven woman with braided brown hair, brandishing a shillalagh is the one who addresses the party when gets within about 30 feet from the gate.

"Halt and identify yourselves!" she calls out in a clear, commanding voice, while looking over the party suspiciously. "What is your errand?"

If you are attempting a disguise, describe your appearance and make a Bluff check to determine its quality. If you choose to say anything, make whatever skill check seems appropriate. You can also specify that your check is meant to aid another's efforts at deception, intimidation or whatever if you want to do something but don't want to "go out front" so to speak. You don't have to make a check if you don't want to, but if you don't have anything in particular you want to say or do, please post in the OOC thread saying you'll just play along.

Falconknight06
2013-01-06, 09:33 PM
I'm Aeric Silverspur, and I've returned to warn the Duchess of possible threats to her person. Somebody, likely a tiefling contingent, slaughtered the soldiers accompanying our group. Aeric will say, the reins on Aurora in his hand. He continues, and we found a spy in the woods he'll say, motioning to the disguised Taral, lightly tied up to allow later escape, but tight enough for it to look convincing in the dim light.

Insight about whether the guards are suspicious of the group, like if they suspect our true motives
[roll0]

Bluff about why we're there
[roll1]

Thievery to tie the ropes as to allow quick escape, but still appear well tied
[roll2]

Tegu8788
2013-01-07, 12:15 AM
Taral Kasha

Bruised and battered, the Tiefling's armor, weapons, heavy cloak, and bandolier full of tools are hidden with-in a sack on Aurora's back. The long rope has been wrapped several times around his arms and his neck, many loops giving the appearance of a tight knot, but in truth he is holding it together in his hand. With a tug, it will all fall apart, releasing him. But for now, it is important that he remain chained.

Having applied his prosthetics to the gnome, he rubbed his face in dirt, before instructing Paladin to beat him in the face. It took convincing, but after using his rapier to create a few thin cuts above his left eyebrow, and seeing the blood flow down his face, he managed to receive the blows he wanted. Very little is as effective at selling a captured prey as one that's bleeding from the face. The black eye he had developed was already swelling slightly, added to a small cut on his right arm, added to the appearance that he had truly be captured. A few twigs stuck out from his hair and ripped clothing, his knees crusted with mud to appear as if he had been crouching often, and for long periods of time. He walked with a distinct limb, trailing his right foot slightly, the stone placed in his shoe making it easier to alter his gait.

Blood matted hair fell over his face, and he made a point of looking defeated, but shifty. It allowed him to get a look at each of those at the gate, while appearing frightened of what might happen to him, now that he had been captured. As they get closer to the guards, they will see the burn mark on his left shoulder, having pressed the torch against his flesh until it began to smell. It was not the first time he had burnt himself to sell a cover, and it would not be the last. But even his natural resistance to flame, it still stung greatly, and he looked forward greatly to being able to heal himself, but for now, bloodied and broken was far more convenient. Pulling his shoulders down to reduce his apparent size, keeping his knees bent, and extending his neck forward, he worked to alter his size, a clear difference from the large frame he displayed on his last visit

Bluff to pull of deceptions [roll0]
Streetwise to try recall information about who these people are [roll1]
If any roll is particularly bad, for anyone, I'll add an augmented Adept's Insight to add 1d4+1 to that roll.

Tukka
2013-01-07, 02:00 PM
I'm going to treat Taral's performance as a successful aid check on Aeric's bluff check, which succeeds so far as you guys can tell.

With regard to the nature of the people manning the gates, Taral doesn't know much about these people specifically. Most of the longbow men look like simple soldiers, like most of the men in Firbolg Company. The man with a dagger is probably some sort of wizard. He's also heard stories of that some in the Duchess's forces command fey powers to stymie and befuddle their foes -- and he suspects the shillelagh-wielding woman is such a person.

After Aeric introduces himself, the man with the dagger sheaths it and consults a scroll from his pack. The half-elven woman who had addressed the party frowns when Aeric mentions the slaughter of the rebel troops and scrutinizes the Taral. She is silent for a while with pursed lips, and pats her cudgel against her open hand. The man with the scroll rolls it up and whispers something into the woman's ear. A few moments later, and addresses them.

"You bring us dire news, Constable Silverspur. We did not think the Danorans had that much fight left in them. We'll have to go on heightened alert."

She nods to one of the nearby soldiers, who rings a nearby bell twice. While the bell is ringing, she signals to another soldier, who moves from sight. A couple seconds later, the sound of wood creaking and groaning is added to that of the ringing of the bell, and the gate draws open.

The party is admitted into the fortress, and the half-elf, who names herself Lieutenant Myers, and introduces Master Sergeant Ilwine (the dagger-bearing gentleman with the scroll). She asks Aeric to make a report, and Ilwine takes notes on another scroll. Specifically, she wants to know where the attack on Firbolg Company took place, and if you know anything you can report about where its attackers may be now. In addition, Ilwine asks if you discovered anything else of interest during your investigation.

Unless they explicitly say or act in a contrary fashion, Ilwine and Myers assume that the other constables (besides Taral) are Firbolg Company survivors.

"Nobody should bother you if you go straight to the brig with your prisoner, but don't wander or you may find yourselves in the brig yourself. Pick one of the vacant buildings near the brig to lay up in for the night, and let the brig's guards know where you're staying in case the Duchess summons you or you receive other orders."

She bids you to follow Sergeant Ilwine to the gates of the inner fort, where he'll deliver his report. From there you're to go east along the road, take the first two rights, then continue straight along the road until you reach the second four-way intersection, where you should turn left.

Unless you want to try something else, the party follows Ilwine. You reach the inner fort's gate, which is well-guarded and will not admit you without further convincing. Ilwine levitates a scroll bearing his report to a hand of the captain at the wall, explains your errand, then departs, leaving the party to continue on its own.

Nobody hinders the party so long as it keeps up the guise of the prisoner transport and follows Myers's directions. The brig is located near the southeastern corner of the fort, while the lighthouse is in the northeastern corner.

The interior streets of the fortress are dark, quiet and mostly empty, though there is activity along both the inner and outer walls.

Some of your options:
If you want to enter a secure location, such as the lighthouse/gatehouse, the inner fort or the brig, that will take a plan and/or a skill check. If you wish, you can also explore the fort for other areas of interest and to see what you can see. In that case, the entire party should make a Stealth check, or you can come up with a new deception/story if you want to scout brazenly.

atomiclemming
2013-01-09, 09:42 PM
Tintau remains quiet as the party follows into the fortress. He makes a mental note of what he can see as they travel.

Tukka
2013-01-10, 08:11 PM
After parting ways with Ilwine and continuing down the road east a ways, Taral cleans himself up and Aurora assumes a new form. Then the turn east and wait for a patrol along the harbor wall to pass out of sight before moving through the gate.

The party follows the road northeast in the harbor, making for the wall. A few soldiers and sailors can be seen doing odd jobs on the piers of the harbor, but fortunately, nobody tries to stop the party. They reach the wall and ascend a ramp to continue northwest in the direction of the lighthouse. The sea wall's ground is covered with a loose gravel that makes it difficult to move quietly, but they don't encounter anyone else until they get close to the lighthouse itself.

Three soldiers stand along the wall in between the constables and the lighthouse. There's also a switchback-like ramp leading back down to the water-level. A man wielding a glaive stands about halfway down the ramp. A small steamship is docked nearby, and a few more men seem to be moving about it, but gaslights on the seawall do a poor job illuminating it -- those of you with low-light vision can tell the ship is being searched.

The nearest soldier notices the party, puts a hand on the longsword at his hilt and intercepts the party, about 100 feet from the lighthouse.

"This area is restric-- wait, who are you? What is this infernal doing here?!"

Tegu8788
2013-01-10, 09:19 PM
Taral Kasha

Healed and back in his full armor, shield strapped to his back and rapier sheathed in the small of his back, covered by his heavy cloak. He keeps his eyes glassed over, his movements stiff, and his head slightly tilted, looking just past where the guard's left shoulder is. In a slightly echoed monotone, he speaks with a quickened cadence. "You will not disturb my master, peon. My master has no patience for delays." Using his tail, he subtly signals the fake Fey Panther to sulk forward, using an overt gesture with his hand to redirect the guard's focus to Saradoc, disguised as a druid with Taral's prosthetics.

"My master desires to see the water from atop your light house, before going to the shore. We shall not be long. If you must, follow behind, but do not speak to my master. He has more important things to do." He leaves his lips slightly agape, ending his speech in an awkward pose, his frame appearing disjointed. The grey cloak hangs off his body, and he appears as if his mind is not complete, not all there.

Bluff [roll0]

Tukka
2013-01-10, 10:25 PM
The soldier's eyes flit indecisively between the various members of the party, takes a step back and shouts behind him.

"Uh, Jorjah! Sergeant! We've got a situation here!

Sergeant Jorjah (the glaive-wielding soldier) ascends the ramp in response to the call. The other two soldiers on the wall take up their bows and look look on curiously in your direction, and a woman appears in window frame about midway up the lighthouse.

Sergeant Jorjah is a stout-looking human with a white beard and a placid expression. He takes in the party silently while the first soldier nervously rushes his explanation.

"I think the tiefling is bespelled. He says his master wants into the lighthouse, but that we can't speak to him."

Sergeant Jorjah addresses himself to Taral, "You can tell your master that this is a breach of protocol, and that I do not accept orders from slaves or spellsnared devils."

His eyes pass over the group once more. "If I don't get an adequate explanation, we'll have to detain and report you."

Falconknight06
2013-01-11, 03:13 PM
Sir, we've been ordered to escort this man to the lighthouse, allow him to look at the water, then escort him back. From what I've been told Aeric will move to talk quietly to Jorjah apparently he has been causing a headache for some of the other guards with his demands and we're humoring him. I'm just following orders. Can you just let us go and show him so we can get this over with?

Bluff
[roll0]

Tukka
2013-01-11, 03:36 PM
"I see," says Sergeant Jorjah. "I'm sorry, but I have my orders as well, and they don't include allowing access to secure areas to just satisfy a whim."

It seems Jorjah is fairly convinced by your story, but still doesn't see any compelling reason to let you in. It may be difficult to get much further with outright deception based on the story that's been spun so far. Because he is apparently convinced that one of you (probably Saradoc or Tintau) is some sort of fey VIP, though, he might be more receptive to further entreaty or a direct attempt to pull rank (good for +2 bonus to an Intimidate or Diplomacy check).

Frothingslosh
2013-01-14, 12:13 AM
You do yourself no favors requiring me to speak to you. Now step aside and let me see what I came to see. One of your rank needs not know why I do what I do. Your mistress desires what I have, and I require the view. Now move before I become more vexed with your presence.

[roll0]

Tukka
2013-01-14, 02:50 PM
Sergeant Jorjah scratches his beard, then says, "Very well, it seems you give me little choice. You and one of your companions may enter the lighthouse, but please do not be too long about it."

Is it OK that I treated that as an Intimidate check for Saradoc? I credited him with the +2 bonus on that check, and plus the +4 from Taral.

The Sergeant will allow Saradoc and one other PC into the lighthouse. The first to volunteer to go with him may accompany him.

You guys can describe what you do when you get inside, or what you do while you wait outside. The lighthouse has three levels. On the lowest level, there are three soldiers, one of whom carries a large dark wooden hammer and has tribal tattoos encircling his neck. There's in this room on the left wall leading to the gatehouse. Behind the staircase, there are a few crates.

On the second level, there's a well-tanned blonde woman with an orb and a dagger at her waist, and a small fey drake sitting on a pillow on a nearby desk. There are four windows. The top level of the lighthouse houses the bright, rotating lamp. You have to be careful up there lest you be blinded.

To expedite things a bit, I'll pull back the curtain on this situation: With a DC 19 Intimidate or Diplomacy check, someone can attempt to convince the Sergeant to let everyone inside.

With a DC 15 check, anybody allowed into the lighthouse will also be allowed into the gatehouse. With a DC 19 check, the NPCs will give you a minute or so alone in any room you've been allowed access to.

On failed checks, you can press the matter and try again. However, each failure rouses their suspicions. After two failed checks, the guards will tell everyone to leave the area immediately but don't detain you. On three failed checks (if you try to convince them to let you stay), they attempt to detain you and attack if you try to escape.

Jorjah explains the other NPCs, and they seem to carry on and seem ignore you until you say or do something suspicious.

Edit:
Also, I'm going to treat Bluff as a secondary skill for this skill challenge and say you've done about all you can with that skill, unless it's used in a novel/different way.

Falconknight06
2013-01-14, 06:02 PM
I shall accompany our fey dignitary and his erstwhile panther companion into the lighthouse, as he has been left in my charge as it were Aeric will say, following Saradoc and the shifted Aurora into the lighthouse. He will then say to one of the guards inside the lighthouse I've heard tell of a fascinating bit of machinery used on the gates in this fort, and as a bit of a engineer myself, I was wondering if there was anyway I could get a peek at it while our fey friend does whatever it is he will do with this view. Anyway I could get a look?

Diplomacy for getting Aeric into the gatehouse
[roll0]

Do I get the +2 for our earlier bluffs?

Also, my passive insight is 20, do I get the feel of them being suspicious of us?

Tukka
2013-01-14, 06:22 PM
Jorjah says, "There's not much to see in the gatehouse. It seems like the infernals built most of their wretched machinery behind walls and panels, so there's just a couple levers to open the gate, and what look like some valve wheels. Anyway, I'm not sure why anyone would be interested in such nonsense anyway.

In a quieter tone, he continues, "You should probably stay with Master Bigshot and try to keep Alice upstairs from offending him."

Jorjah's mood is guarded, and he gives you a harder looker while responding to your question. He's clearly not comfortable with having you here, but his suspicions seem subdued for the moment.

Edit: The +2 to the checks was a one-off bonus; I applied it to Saradoc's check already.

Falconknight06
2013-01-14, 06:38 PM
Ok, so I hope I'm not about to ruin everything for everyone forever

Really, there's nothing to see? That seems odd. All the other Infernal machinery had at least a little visible of the gears and other workings within the panels. You wouldn't believe how crazy some of their machines get. There was this one with an odd gear that looked to be made of obsidian. One of the guys I was with touched it and was vaporized. It was intense. But you're sure I couldn't even get a peek at it. No way at all? Aeric will say, trying for the last time to get this job done with minimal bloodshed.

Forgive me everyone if I fail at this again, but Aeric would try again.
And unless we get metagamey, there isn't really a way I could check with the group to see if it is a good idea

Diplomacy hail mary check
[roll0]

Tukka
2013-01-14, 06:58 PM
Jorjah sighs. "Fine, if you'll shut up about the tieflings' thrice-cursed technology, you or your master can have a look, just don't take too long about it."

He opens the door and the aromatic scent of the Leaf of Nicodemus soon reaches your nose. Inside, a soldier sits on a stool with a cigarette in hand, near a panel that more or less fits with what Jorjah described earlier.

"Paine, this here gent is with a fey VIP and wants a look at the Danoran's gate controls. Don't let him muck with them, but don't get in his way either, got it?"

Paine casually salutes with his cigarette in hand and nods to Aeric.

The panel is set near the far wall and has three wooden levers set to various positions, and four valve wheels. The control panel is not quite flush to the wall, but connects to it by way of a pair of large iron conduits. Instructions for opening and closing the gate are written in Common on a metallic panel next to the lever -- they're pretty straightforward ... the sequence should only take a few seconds to input, but the instructions say that it will take a minute for the gate to change completely from one state (open or closed) to the opposite state.

So far you guys have one failure, and Aeric and Saradoc are allowed free run of the lighthouse/gatehouse, though the soldiers there are keeping an eye on you. If someone succeeds on the "let everyone in" check, everyone will be allowed into gatehouse too, but if that fails, Jorjah will decide Saradoc and Aeric have had enough time to look at the water and the machinery and insist everyone leaves.

mullensmd
2013-01-14, 07:56 PM
Aurora will sneeze at the smoke, but only growl a little. She'll stick close to the others while giving the impression that they're the only ones she'll act so friendly around. Whenever Paine looks over she'll lick her lips- trying to keep him off balance by making him think she has him in mind for her next snack.

atomiclemming
2013-01-14, 09:33 PM
Tintau remains quiet while the druid and his companion go into the gate house. He slides back his cowl and loks at Taral and the cat and sighs.
He fixes Jorjah with piecing green eyes
"Seargant , we might have an issue here. I can see his eminance's hold on the *spits* devil and his pet weakening. I need to get the two of them closer to him inside the gatehouse. I am certain that you do not want to be responsible for him losing his toys. IT shouldnt take but a minute for him to reinforce his hold on them"
Tintau continues to hold his gaze his eyes glinting waiting for an answer

[roll0]

atomiclemming
2013-01-14, 09:34 PM
Trying again cause I am not sure if that rolled
Bluff
[roll0]

Tegu8788
2013-01-14, 09:50 PM
Taral Kasha

Taking his cue, he starts to twitch his right eye, drawing the corner of his mouth upwards. Shaking, he ever so slowly tries to stand up, jerkingly changing his pose from the slack-jawed rube to a frightened youth. Teeth chattering, he looks between the guards, then back to the remaining party. "I-I-I-I-I'll-ll-ll tell-ll-ll-ll you any-y-y-y thing-g-g. My-y-y tro-o-o-ps-s-s are com-ming-g-g-g from-m th-he w-w-w-wes-s-s-s-st-t-t! Ju-u-u-s-s-s-st-t-t let-t-t m-m-me go-o-o-o!" His eyes dart back and forth, and he hunches backwards, slumping to his knees, almost as if he was trying to shrink into the ground to hide.

Diplomacy to get the guards to leave Taral alone, and possibly go strengthen the Western Wall. [roll0]

mullensmd
2013-01-14, 10:54 PM
Aurora also takes her cue. Her growls become more heavy- and her glances at the seargent says she has Jorjah on her mind- for lunch.

Tukka
2013-01-14, 11:03 PM
Jorjah looks nervous. "Oh, damn it... alright, alright... get the devil inside and up to his master. All of you. Kill the damn thing if you can't get it back under control."

Jorjah follows everyone inside. After Taral settles down (assuming he does), he says. "Now would you please finish up whatever it is you're doing here soon? My patience is at about its limit!"

[Passive Insight 16+] The bluff is successful, but has come at a price. Jorjah indeed at the limits of his patience, and seems a bit more wary and suspicious. He may have a violent reaction or an attempt to detain you if he gets a whiff of anything else suspicious or dangerous.

Falconknight06
2013-01-15, 06:09 PM
Aeric, sensing that he will likely never get this chance again, watches the guard smoke, and tries to time any of his subterfuge with the controls with when there is smoke in front of his face (using insight). He has spent the past few minutes percieving the best way to delay someone trying to close the gate after he sets it to open (using Perception). Using his skills in thievery, he will try to make any movements he does slight and unnoticeable, and any visible machinations he hopes to make look accidental (Thievery for the first, bluff for the second part).

Insight to figure out timing with the smoke
[roll0]

Perception for best way to sabotage
[roll1]

Thievery for sabotaging and opening of the gate secretly-ish
[roll2]

Bluff to make it seem accidental (like oh no I touched this, let me fix it, oh no again)
[roll3]

Tukka
2013-01-15, 07:22 PM
In response to Aeric's actions, the sound of groaning wood accompanied by a regular, rapid clanking of metal issues from the machinery in the western part of the gatehouse. The noise can be easily heard over the ocean on the second story of the lighthouse.

"What the--stop...!" he exclaims, and he pulls one of the levers. The metallic clanking noise slows down, but it seems that the gate is still in the process of opening.

On the second story, Jorjah shouts, "That's the gate! A trick! This must be a trick! Attack!"

Both groups have an average initiative of +1.5, so I'll just roll a d20 for each to see which goes first. Aeric gets a surprise round because he knows he's precipitating a fight and managed to sow a little doubt in Paine's mind.

At the start of combat, nobody is armed except Jorjah with his glaive, and Aurora and Saradoc with their elements, I believe.

Party initiative: [roll0]
Enemy initiative: [roll1]

PC tokens have white borders. Minions have hexagonal borders. The swirly blue thing is a friendly air elemental, which is currently hidden and invisible. I'll post a key in the OOC thread telling which token belongs to which PC.

Moving between levels of the lighthouse takes six squares of movement. (For example, moving from R-18 to J-14.) On the second level, the left staircase only leads down and the right staircase only leads up.

Anyone on the second level of the lighthouse may reposition themselves in any unoccupied square on the second level before beginning their first turn.

Tukka
2013-01-15, 07:25 PM
I forgot the maps.

Lighthouse Battle, Close up (https://dl.dropbox.com/s/hrtc3wrv57d0p3r/GatehouseNear1.png)

Lighthouse Battle, Zoomed out (https://dl.dropbox.com/s/sq2vyoz8pzr2ruc/GatehouseFar1.png)

Falconknight06
2013-01-15, 08:17 PM
Aeric moves quickly with Paine right next to him saying there is proof the duchess is a traitor and we mean to bring her in for questioning. Please do not hinder these plans. As he says this, Aeric will attack Paine with the goal of incapacitation, not death.

Using Sly flourish (Dex vs. AC) on Paine with my knife (flavor wise using the hilt to knock him out hopefully)

Surprise round means I get combat advantage with my rogue ability First Strike

So roll to hit (vs. AC)
[roll0]

Damage (1 W + Dex + Cha)
[roll1]

Sneak Attack Damage for having Combat Advantage
[roll2]

EDIT: I'd also like to reflip the switch he un-flipped if I have time to after attacking

mullensmd
2013-01-17, 04:16 PM
Hearing that the jig is up Aurora will pounce the nearest traitor(The guy on T19)

[roll0] for Pounce

[roll1] if it hits

Tukka
2013-01-21, 11:27 PM
Terrain note: The wooden bench-looking things on the second floor are tables. Treat them as difficult terrain unless you make a DC 8 Athletics check to vault/slide over them. [Edit: Once you enter a square with a table, you can consider yourself on top of the table, and move across that table normally until you get off of it.]

At Jorjah's initial shout, the fey drake is first to react -- it pops sight with a sound vaguely reminiscent of laughing, and the pillow it had been lazing on slides off the table as if shoved.

Jorjah jumps away from Taral and shouts, "Stop them! The duchess needs more time to lay bare the tieflings evil plans!" He then follows up with a swooping strike with his glaive, which goes wide.

Alice draws away from Aurora the Cat, takes up from the orb from her belt and utters a brief incantation. The orb goes stormcloud gray, Taral's eyes haze over with the same color, then a small cloud forms suddenly explodes into existence above Taral's head with a thunderous boom. He takes 11 thunder damage and the cloud remains above his head, sparking menacingly.

Downstairs, patrolmen maneuver about; one opens the door joining the gatehouse and the lighthouse, and another opens the door that connects the gatehouse to the outside. One of the soldiers draws his longsword and deals Leif a nasty cut (4 damage) then cautiously backs away from the paladin.

Most of the other patrolmen ready their longbows. One such patrolman dashes through the door, held open by his ally. "Paine!" he shouts, and then strings an arrow and lets it loose in Aeric's direction. The bolt strikes strikes true for 4 damage.

Then a somewhat unkempt-looking hammer-wielding soldier barrels through the doorway from the gatehouse and bloodies Aeric Aeric with a shot just below the neck for 9 damage. [Note: I forgot to add a +1 from charging when I rolled the Bruiser's attack, but it should be a hit either way.]

Those of you near a door or window may notice that outside, some of the soldiers you passed on your way in have started running towards the lighthouse. In addition, a loud bell begins ringing from somewhere to the west.

Condition Summary
Aeric - bloodied
Taral - ongoing lightning 2 (save ends)*
Axis Air Elemental - invisible
Fey Drake - invisible
(Enemies in column Q or below) Rebel Patrolman 5-8, Rebel Investigator - running (grants combat advantage and takes a -5 to attack rolls until the start of their next turn)

*Taral takes a -4 penalty to this save, which is reduced by 1 point for every square he moves on his turn before making the save. When he takes ongoing damage, any ally adjacent to him takes 2 lightning damage.

Maps

Lighthouse Battle, Close up (https://dl.dropbox.com/s/hrtc3wrv57d0p3r/GatehouseNear1.png)

Lighthouse Battle, Zoomed out (https://dl.dropbox.com/s/sq2vyoz8pzr2ruc/GatehouseFar1.png)

Everyone may now take their turns.

atomiclemming
2013-01-22, 01:57 PM
Tintau commands the elemental to appear and go blow away the storm cloud over Taral and towards Jorjah. (Free action I think)

He pulls his friend Tur out of his bag (crossbow turret) and sets it on the end of the table in front of him (minor x2?)

He then grabs an odd looking roundish device that buzzes and hums as it crackles to life. Small jets of energy propel it into the air. It whizzes to the center of the room (Q20) and hovers in mid-air (punishing eye, standard daily power)

"Give up now by order of the King and the RHC, yes.
There is a small army just ourside the gates coming to aid us. Surrender while you can

1d20+8 bluff

Rannoch
2013-01-22, 03:50 PM
Leif
"We've got trouble down here!" Leif yells up the stairs, "I'm going to help Aeric!"

Leif pulls his shield off his back and draws his sword. Leif moves to a better location to help Aeric (J13-H13-H12).

Rannoch
2013-01-22, 03:58 PM
Leif continued

Leif stares down the Rebel Patrolmen "Surrender now or face the justice of your king."

Apparently the dice roller hates being previewed.
[roll0] Intimidate

atomiclemming
2013-01-22, 04:32 PM
[roll0]
Bluff roll attempt again this time no previews

Frothingslosh
2013-01-22, 04:42 PM
Saradoc begins smiling when the action begins. The murderous glint in his eye is unmistakable.

Surrender now, or face the same judgement as your traitorous Duchess. I will not offer this to you again.
Minor action: [roll0]

Move: S22 - R21 (2) - R20 (1) - R19 (2)
If it is difficult terrain to drop off the table, then I'll try:
S22 - R21 ([roll1]). On a success, I'll follow the above route to R19. If I fail, then I'll end the movement at R20.

Standard:
Once I reach either, I'll drop Unseelie Sprites (Close burst 2).
Jorjah (+5, +1 for Shadow Twist) [roll2]
Alice (+5, +1 for Shadow Twist if I end at R20 not included) [roll3]
Fey Drake (+5, ignore Invis. since it's a burst) [roll4]
[roll5] (2 of which is poison).

If I make it to R19, I'll have concealment for moving 3 squares.

Falconknight06
2013-01-22, 05:06 PM
Damnit Aeric will say, his vision blurring briefly as he is struck. Hopefully I'll survive long enough for the gate to open he thinks as he utters a small prayer to Sehanine, a silvery light lessening his wounds as he does.

He then says By the authority of the RHC, surrender. The duchess is a traitor and needs to be taken in for questioning. As he speaks, Aeric draws both of his pistols and aims one a the bruiser next to him, and the other at the guard by the door saying I'm sorry

Minor Action
Healing word on myself, gain 1 surge plus [roll0]

Standard Action
The man with two guns is god
Get to draw both pistols and fire at two targets without opportunity attacks from using ranged in melee
Attack against Bruiser
[roll1]

Attack against Other guy
[roll2] with offhand (I don't have access to rules about if offhand does less damage or not with me, can be adjusted accordingly)

Bruiser Damage
[roll3]

Other guy damage
[roll4]

Pistols are brutal 2, so minimum damage is 4 total (2+2) on rolls. If hit, they can't make attacks of opportunity until the end of my next turn. Also, both pistols now need reloaded to be used again.

Tukka
2013-01-23, 04:33 PM
Aurora, in cat form, springs forward and viciously slashes Alice with her claws, dealing 11 damage, leaving her bloodied and off-balance (granting combat advantage to the next attack).

After issuing a command to the invisible air elemental, the cloud above Taral's head begins to swirl and dissipate somewhat, granting Taral a +5 bonus to save against the ongoing lightning damage until the end of this encounter.

Tintau retrieves a contraption from his bag and drops down onto the table. With several clicks and whirs it quickly assembles itself into what looks like a tripod-mounted crossbow.

Tintau's punishing eye hovers near the ceiling and begins to emit a regular pulse of soft red light. The light outlines the fey drake, making it perfectly visible. The fey drake is now visible -- it stands on the table, poised to strike. It hisses with displeasure at its loss of concealment.

"Give up now by order of the King and the RHC, yes.
There is a small army just ourside the gates coming to aid us. Surrender while you can

Technically this isn't really a deception. The army is still minutes away and hasn't yet been signaled, but what you said is essentially true.

In response to this and Saradoc's threat, Jorjah says, "I'm sorry, but we must resist. The fate of Risur depends on us -- the Duchess has foreseen our nation's fate, and this is the only way!"

Saradoc maneuvers through the tables and calls forth a bevy of sprites to attack the foes surrounding him, though Jorjah and the fey drake fend off the tiny shadow fey. Alice, however, is unable to withstand the assault, and collapses to the ground, dead or unconcscious.
She took 13 damage total from that attack, 4 of which came from Tintau's Puninishing Eye, which made the difference as far as KOing her goes.

Downstairs, the patrolman by the lighthouse door takes a swing at Leif has she maneuvers towards the gatehouse.
The rebel patrolman threatens J-13, so Leif draws an opportunity attack from him.

Longsword attack against Leif, [roll0] vs AC. Deals 4 damage on a hit.

Also, are you sure you don't want to move to H-11 instead of H-12? That way you can lock down the nearby soldier a bit, and be closer to Aeric and his troubles.

In response to Leif's threat, the patrolman shouts, "The king has betrayed us with his foolishness! His justice is a waste!"

Note that in general, social checks must be made as an action -- talking is a free action, but actually applying your skill takes some conscious effort. So usually something like this will usually be least a minor action, though by the book getting an enemy to surrender is with Intimidate is actually a standard action, and the enemy must be bloodied at that. Sometimes I'll let you guys make checks a bit more liberally than that, though.

Aeric's mutters a brief prayer, allowing him to from his injuries some, (he is no longer bloodied), then after threatening his foes, he swiftly draws two pistols and fires off two shots. He misses his closest enemy, but the patrolman by the door jerks, then clutches a bullet wound in his leg and passes out. Aeric then pulls a lever and the noise of the gate machinery speeds up.

Condition Summary

Saradoc - concealment
Taral - ongoing lightning 2 (save ends)*
Fey Drake - invisible, but lacking concealment -- so effectively, not invisible
Enemies within 3 squares of the Punishing Eye do not benefit from concealment and take 4 extra physic damage on any attack made by Tintau's allies.
Rebel Bruiser - Unable to take opportunity attacks until the end of Aeric's next turn.
(Enemies in column Q or below) Rebel Patrolman 5-8, Rebel Investigator - running (grants combat advantage and takes a -5 to attack rolls until the start of their next turn)

*Taral takes a -4 penalty to this save, which is reduced by 1 point for every square he moves on his turn before making the save. When he takes ongoing damage, any ally adjacent to him takes 2 lightning damage.

Maps

Tegu8788
2013-01-23, 10:39 PM
Taral Kasha

Ducking out of the way of the large weapon, Taral skitters away with his head held low, and jumps up onto a nearby bench. Running down it's length at his attacker, he draws his rapier, attempting to smash the pommel into the large man's face. He does not speak, the time for words past. His tongue may be sharp, but even it couldn't cut as well as his blade.

Move: P21-O21
Minor: Draw Rapier
Standard: Charge to O19 using Ardent Strike on Jorjah
Attack: [roll0] vs. AC
Hit: [roll1] damage, and the target is subject to your divine sanction until the end of your next turn.
Special: When charging, you can use this power in place of a melee basic attack.
Free: Dread Smite
Trigger: You target an enemy with an at-will weapon attack power.
Effect: The target takes cold and necrotic damage equal to 2 + your Charisma modifier (5). If the triggering attack hits, the target also takes ongoing 5 cold and necrotic damage (save ends).
Save: [roll2], that's four squares of movement, so no penalty, correct?

mullensmd
2013-01-24, 12:42 PM
Aurora will leap up on the table and take a swipe at the thing revealed by th e Eye. Doesn't matter what it is it was hiding so it can't be good.

[roll0] Athletics for the leap.
[roll1] Savage Rend attack on fey drake
[roll2] damage if it hits

Tukka
2013-01-24, 02:22 PM
Small arcs of lightning strike out from the cloud above Taral's head, striking him, Tintau's contraption, and the unseen air elemental, but the cloud dissipates as Taral maneuvers about.

Taral's blow lands hard against the side of Jorjah's face, bloodying him, and his skin takes on an unhealthy bluish tinge.

Enemy actions

Fey Drake

The fey drake shifts across the table, then opens the nearby window with its long, clever tail. Next, climbs out the window, but Aurora strikes at the creature as it does so.

Move action: Shift to S-19.
Minor action: Open the window.
Standard action: Climb out the window.

Aurora's opportunity attack (Savage Rend) vs. the fey drake: [roll0] vs. Reflex. On a hit, the fey drake takes [roll1] damage, and Aurora will slide it 1 square away from the window, but the fey drake will continue out the window regardless.

Characters need a Passive Perception of [roll2] to know the fey drake's position when it escapes the range of the Punishing Eye.

Jorjah shifts back towards Saradoc, and swipes at Taral again with his glaive.

Move: Shift to Q-18.
Standard: Glaive attack vs. Taral [rollv]1d20+6[roll] vs AC to hit for [roll3] damage. On a hit, Taral is marked, slowed and grants combat advantage until the end of Jorjah's next turn, and slides him a square. A hit would trigger Taral's Infernal Wrath, dealing an additional [roll4] damage.

The rebel investigator continues to run towards the lighthouse structure.

Patrolman 1 (the one near Leif) stows his longbow, draws his longsword and makes ready to strike Leif. Patrolman 2, by the lighthouse door, opens it and then maneuvers to flank Leif. They then both strike with their longswords.

Patrolman 2 longsword attack: [roll5] vs AC for 4 damage.
Patrolman 1 longsword attack: [roll6] vs AC for 4 damage.

Patrolman 3 is unconscious.

Patrolman 4 drops his longbow, draws his longsword, advances on Aeric and attacks.
[roll7] vs. AC for 4 damage.

Patrolman 5 slows his pace somewhat (he stops running) and enters the gatehouse (he moves to I-18). Patrolmen 6-8 continue to run towards the lighthouse structure.

The rebel bruiser seems adept at working in close quarters with allies, and with both the bruiser and the patrolman near him, Aeric feels a bit at a disadvantage. The bruiser takes another swing at Aeric with his hammer.

The bruiser gains combat advantage against enemies that is adjacent to at least one of his allies.

Crippling Strike vs. Aeric, [roll8] vs. AC. On a hit, Aeric takes [roll9] damage and is slowed (save ends). Recharge roll: [1d6].

I'll post the condition summary and map links in the next thread. I need to see the roll outcomes before I can update them properly.

Tukka
2013-01-24, 02:33 PM
So I messed up a few rolls there. [spoiler]Jorjah's Glaive vs. Taral [roll0] vs. AC.
The bruiser's recharge roll for Crippling Strike: [roll1].

Tukka
2013-01-24, 02:43 PM
So all of the enemies hit, except Jorjah. (Who also took some additional damage from Taral's attack due to Punishing Eye.)

Condition Summary

Saradoc - concealment
Aeric - bloodied; slowed (save ends)
Jorjah - marked by Taral (divine sanction), bloodied, ongoing 5 cold/necrotic*
Fey Drake - invisible, hidden (Passive Perception of 17 to know its location)
Enemies within 3 squares of the Punishing Eye do not benefit from concealment and take 4 extra physic damage on any attack made by Tintau's allies.
Rebel Bruiser - Unable to take opportunity attacks until the end of Aeric's next turn.
(Enemies in column P or below) Rebel Patrolman 6-8, Rebel Investigator - running (grants combat advantage and takes a -5 to attack rolls until the start of their next turn)

*Tegu, I don't see where you're getting the extra +2 to the ongoing damage. Let me know if I'm missing something.

Maps
I'm going to stop updating the distant map, but you can refer to it if you want to know what the battlefield terrain looks like farther out.

Lighthouse Battle, Zoomed out (outdated) (https://dl.dropbox.com/s/sq2vyoz8pzr2ruc/GatehouseFar1.png)

Falconknight06
2013-01-24, 04:33 PM
Aeric's vision blurs even more as he is hammered by his two foes, but he somehow manages to stay on his feet. I must finish my duty to the king. The duchesses treachery needs to be known. With that statement, Aeric drops both pistols and draws three shuriken, praying once more to Sehanine for the strength to carry on. He takes a deep breath, and reaches deep to let loose an attack

Ok, in order of events

Minor action
Drop Pistols

Move action
Draw shurikens

Standard Action
Take my second wind

Then spend an action point to use

Blinding barrage on all three enemies

It is a close blast so no Attacks of Opportunity for being in melee

Attack rolls for my barrage
Bruiser
[roll0]

Other guy next to me
[roll1]

Other guy in the room not next to me
[roll2]

If hit, they take 2 damage and they are Blinded
If missed, they still take 1 damage and are not blinded

These guys are so much better at modifiers than me, it isn't funny. Also, my new AC is 16 until the end of my next turn from Second wind.

Tukka
2013-01-24, 05:32 PM
Aeric's takes a moment to recover, then springs into action, flinging a flurry of shurikens strike his two closet foes about the eyes; the bruiser blinks rapidly, blinded and the patrolman drops his longsword and topples to the ground, unconscious.

Condition Summary

Saradoc - concealment
Aeric - bloodied; slowed (save ends); +2 bonus to defenses until the end of Aeric's next turn
Jorjah - marked by Taral (divine sanction), bloodied, ongoing 5 cold/necrotic*
Rebel Bruiser - blinded until the end of Aeric's next turn
(Enemies in column P or below) Rebel Patrolman 6-8, Rebel Investigator - running (grants combat advantage and takes a -5 to attack rolls until the start of their next turn)

*Tegu, I don't see where you're getting the extra +2 to the ongoing damage. Let me know if I'm missing something.

Maps
I'm going to stop updating the distant map, but you can refer to it if you want to know what the battlefield terrain looks like farther out.

Lighthouse Battle, Zoomed out (outdated) (https://dl.dropbox.com/s/sq2vyoz8pzr2ruc/GatehouseFar1.png)

Rannoch
2013-01-24, 07:17 PM
Leif
Leif strikes out with his sword hoping to get to Aeric in time.

Assuming the rebel blocking the stairs is knocked unconscious.

Leif challenges the patrolman (I-8, Divine Challenge) [minor] in the name of his God.
Leif heals himself with Lay on Hands [minor]
Leif charges headlong down the stairs at the rebel bruiser and smacks him ardently (ardent strike)

Leif uses Virtuous Strike on the Rebel in H10
Attack Roll
[roll0]
Damage Roll
[roll1]

Radiant Delirium on Rebel Bruiser in I6
Attack Roll
[roll2]
Damage Roll
[roll3]

atomiclemming
2013-01-24, 09:42 PM
Tintau looks over at Saradoc who appears to not be in immediate danger and looks towarsd the bloodied jorjah who is blocking the stairs.
He commands the air elemental to go attack jorjah and if jorjah is down then to head downstairs.
He concentrates and the turret ratchets aoround gears spinning and aims itself at jorjah.
The head of the loaded bolt glows blue and flickers slightly before the string pulls taught hurtling it towards the guard.

If I knock him out
Tintau will use his minor action to collect the turret and then move to p18
If it doesnt
Tintau will use his move action to move the punishing eye to p 18 and his minor action to draw his crossbow

[roll0] vs AC
[roll1] damage
+4 eye damage if hit

Tukka
2013-01-24, 11:16 PM
The turn fires a crossbow bolt which catches Jorjah in the shoulder, near his neck. He collapses to the ground, and utters "Listen to her... don't... trust the Dano..." and then falls unconscious. Tintau picks up the contraption and makes towards the stairs.

There's a draft as the air elemental flies downstairs. It attempts to move with stealth, and is hidden to characters with a passive perception below [roll0]. (The air elemental is able to get downstairs somewhat faster than you guys would be able to, since it can take a route less circuitous than the stairs by flying.)

Condition Summary

Saradoc - concealment
Aeric - bloodied; slowed (save ends); +2 bonus to defenses until the end of Aeric's next turn
Axis Air Elemental - invisible, hidden to characters with passive perception below 14, +2 bonus to attack and damage rolls from Magic Weapon until the end of Tintau's next turn
Jorjah - marked by Taral (divine sanction), bloodied, ongoing 5 cold/necrotic (save ends)*
Rebel Bruiser - blinded until the end of Aeric's next turn

Maps

Rannoch
2013-01-24, 11:32 PM
Leif

Ardent Strike damage
[roll0]

Tukka
2013-01-24, 11:44 PM
Leif strikes down the patrolman that had been barring her passage into the gatehouse, then touches a glowing hand to one of her wounds to heal it, and calls out a holy challenge to the longbow-wielding patrolman in the lighthouse. Then she charges forward to attack the bruiser, but first the remaining patrolman in the lighthouse takes the opportunity to slash at her with his longsword, but he misses. Leif's strike lands, and the bruiser growls and blindly turns to face in her approximate direction.

Longsword vs. Leif [roll0] vs. AC for 4 damage.

Condition Summary

Saradoc - concealment
Axis Air Elemental - invisible, hidden to characters with passive perception below 14, +2 bonus to attack and damage rolls from Magic Weapon until the end of Tintau's next turn
Jorjah - marked by Taral (Divine Sanction), bloodied, ongoing 5 cold/necrotic (save ends)*
Rebel Bruiser - blinded until the end of Aeric's next turn, marked by Leif (Divine Sanction)
Rebel Patrolman 5 (in I-8) - marked by Leif (Divine Challenge)
Rebel Patrolman 6-8, Rebel Investigator (Enemies in column P or below) - running (grants combat advantage and takes a -5 to attack rolls until the start of their next turn)

Maps

Frothingslosh
2013-01-25, 11:18 AM
A wild cackling emanates from Saradoc's mouth as he dashes to the window (T18). Looking out below him he calls on the shadows to hinder the approaching guards.

The enemies of and traitors of Risur will not succeed. The RHC will always stop you!

Move: R19 - S18 - T18

Standard: Fascinating Shadows (Close Blast 5)

[roll0] vs. Will
[roll1] vs. WIll

[roll2]
If I hit, I will pull the Drake up two squares to end at U20 I think?
I will not pull the investigator.

Effect: If either attacks me they will take 2 psychic damage, until the end of my next turn.

This is assuming that the enemy in P11 is the Investigator, and that my close blast will hit the drake. It is target one or two enemies in blast, so I don't know how you want to rule on that.

Tukka
2013-01-25, 04:43 PM
Flickering shadows rise out of the light cast by the gaslamps to harry and taunt the invisible drake and the rebel investigator; the investigator looks a bit dizzy (and takes 7 psychic damage) but still looks determined press forward. (The fey drake wasn't affected.)

Condition Summary

Saradoc - cover from window, relative to the enemies outside
Jorjah - marked by Taral (Divine Sanction), bloodied, ongoing 5 cold/necrotic (save ends)*
Rebel Bruiser - blinded until the end of Aeric's next turn, marked by Leif (Divine Sanction)
Rebel Patrolman 5 (in I-8) - marked by Leif (Divine Challenge)
Rebel Patrolman 6-8, Rebel Investigator (Enemies in column P or below) - running (grants combat advantage and takes a -5 to attack rolls until the start of their next turn)
Rebel Investigator - Fascinating Shadows (takes 2 psychic damage every time he attacks Saradoc until the end of Saradoc's next turn

Maps

mullensmd
2013-01-27, 06:27 PM
Seeing nothing else on this level to take on Aurora will head down stairs as fast as she can. If she makes it all the way she'll pause, give that minion her best 'don't mess with me' growl and let her bloody paws do the talking.

Tegu8788
2013-01-28, 09:00 PM
Taral Kasha

Jumping off his bench, he launches his body towards the stairwell, intending to swing on the edge and flip to the lower level. However, he overshoots his goal, and slams his shoulder into the outer wall. Sliding down, he manages to roll onto floor and land on his feet. Shifting to the center of the room, he channels his arcane power through his throat, his anger at the loss of his comrades and the frustration of fighting with these racists. His scream rips through the air, so loud his target is likely to stumble backwards in pain.

Move: Fall down the stairs to K13
Minor: Majestic Word on Taral
Effect: The target can spend a healing surge and regain additional hit points equal to your Charisma modifier (HP:12->24). You also slide the target 1 square (J12).

If the window on the first floor is open.
Standard: Staggering Note against enemy in I6
Attack: [roll0] vs. WIll
Hit: 5 thunder damage, and you push the target 2 squares (H6->H5). As a free action, an ally of your choice (Lief) can make a melee basic attack (Ardent Strike) against the target before, after, or during this forced movement.

If the window is closed.
Standard: Staggering Note the minion
Attack: [roll1] vs. WIll
Hit: 5 thunder damage, and you push the target 2 squares (have him lay with his friend). As a free action, an ally of your choice can make a melee basic attack against the target before, after, or during this forced movement.

Tukka
2013-01-28, 11:32 PM
Aurora rushes down the stairs and engages the patrolman on the first floor of the lighthouse (to I-13), regarding him with a ferocious feline snarl.

Taral follows; he jumps off the table, speeds down the stairs a distance, then hops the railing, but isn't able to manage a firm grip on the rim of the stairs, and tumbles to the ground with a nasty thud that bloodies him (5 damage). He utters a brief word to himself, however, and shakes off the pain from the fresh bruise (he recovers 12 hp). He then rolls toward the center of the room and shouts at the nearby patrolman, who staggered back and falls backwards onto his nearby ally, both of them now unconscious.

Note, Taral is still prone since he failed to mitigate all of the damage from the fall with his acrobatics check and didn't take any actions which would get him upright.

Suddenly, in the gatehouse, the fey drake materializes in front of Leif, and bites at her neck with its maw filled with tiny fangs, glittering like crystals. Fortunately, the drake is only able to bite the steel of Leif's neckguard.
Move: L-12 to I-7.
Standard: Poison Fangs against Leif [roll0] vs. AC. Miss.

The investigator advances towards the gatehouse and shakes his shillelagh in that general direction while uttering few incantations. The gatehouse is momentarily filled with the lurid haze of purple flame, which limns the bruiser, the drake and Aeric, making them all particularly easy to spot. The investigator continues chanting, and Leif suddenly feels a cold headache come on, and his eyes cloud over with grey-green mist.

Move: Walk to M-8.
Minor: Faerie Fire in a burst 1 centered on I-6. The attack is vs. Reflex. Affected targets are limned in faerie fire, grant combat advantage and cannot benefit from invisibility or concealment until the end of the Rebel Investigator's next turn. (Note: I'm going to say that blinded characters cannot benefit from their enemies being subject to faerie fire.)
vs. Leif [roll2] (miss)
vs. Rebel Bruiser [roll3] (hit)
vs. Fey Drake [roll4] (hit)
vs. Aeric [roll5] (hit)
Standard: Fey Mists against Leif, [roll6] vs. Will. It hits and she takes [roll7] cold and psychic damage and is blinded until the end of the investigator's next turn.

The rebel patrolman in the gatehouse takes a few careful steps back, then jumps back a few more feet into the doorway of the gatehouse and fires a shot from his longbow at Leif; she the arrow deflects with her shield.
Patrolman 5
Move: Shift to J-8.
Standard: Longbow Skirmish (move to K-8) against Leif, [roll8] vs. AC (+2 since she grants CA); miss

The remaining patrolmen advance while firing their bows. The first strikes Saradoc, who then vanishes from sight a half second later. The next two fire their shots at Leif; the nearest manages to hit her, while the more distant patrolman's arrow ricochets off the exterior of the gatehouse and goes careening into the direction of the water.

Patrolman 6
Move:Walk from X-10 to W-13
Standard: Longbow Skirmish (move to S-13) vs. AC [roll9] and is hit 4 damage. Saradoc uses Fade Away as an immediate reaction.

Patrolman 7
Move: Walk from T-11 to N-11
Standard: Longbow Skirmish (move to N-8) [roll10] (+2 vs. Leif since she grants CA.) She takes 4 damage.

Patrolman 8:
Move: Walk from W-11 to Q-11
Standard: Longbow Skirmish (move to P-11) [roll11] (+2 vs. Leif since she grants CA.) Miss.

The bruiser blindly strikes at Aeric and misses, and is staggered by flashes of radiant power as he does so.
The bruiser takes 6 damage from Leif's Divine Sanction when he attacks Aeric.

Hammer attack against Aeric [roll12] vs. AC (and another -2 to this attack that I forgot to add from Leif's mark) for [roll13] damage; miss.

Crippling Strike recharge [roll14]
Save vs. blinded [roll15] Edit: Nevermind, it's not a save ends condition.

Jorjah lies unconscious on the floor upstairs, and his skin still looks bluish and sickly.

I'm going to post a bit in the OOC thread about knocking enemies unconscious -- the rules in 4e leave a little room for interpretation. For now I'm going to say Jorjah is still alive.

Jorjah's save vs. ongoing damage [roll16].

Condition Summary

Allies
Leif - blinded until end of the end of the investigator's next turn
Taral - prone
Aeric - bloodied; slowed (save ends); +2 bonus to defenses until the end of Aeric's next turn, grants combat advantage and cannot benefit from concealment until the end of the investigator's next turn
Saradoc - invisible until he attacks or until the end of his next turn; cover from window, relative to the enemies outside

Enemies
Rebel Bruiser - blinded until the end of Aeric's next turn, marked by Leif (Divine Sanction), grants combat advantage and cannot benefit from concealment until the end of the investigator's next turn
Fey Drake - grants combat advantage and cannot benefit from concealment until the end of the investigator's next turn
Rebel Patrolman 5 (in K-8) - marked by Leif (Divine Challenge)
Rebel Investigator - Fascinating Shadows (takes 2 psychic damage every time he attacks Saradoc until the end of Saradoc's next turn
Jorjah - marked by Taral (Divine Sanction), bloodied, unconscious, ongoing 5 cold/necrotic (save ends)

Maps

Edit: It says the roll count doesn't match the database -- not sure what I accidentally edited out, if anything. Let me know if you notice any info that seems to be missing.

mullensmd
2013-01-29, 12:58 PM
Aurora gives Taral a 'You okay? Good quit goofing off.' nudge with her nose then takes off for the door with the body in front of it. On the staris she sees a woman she doesn't know and the outline of something she saw earlier- so she jumps down and takes another poke at it.

Move: I12 to I8
Savage Rend (v drake):[roll0]
-if Savage Rend hits: [roll1]

Frothingslosh
2013-01-29, 01:27 PM
Master Saradoc Montajay II

Saradoc continues to harass the reinforcements approaching the tower with his shadows. From his invisible position in the windows, he calls forth a shadowy cloud, swirling around the investigator. Not content with this single enemy, the confusing and whirling shadows also pour forth from his cane, engulfing the investigator and one of the patrolmen.

[roll0] vs. Fort
[roll1] Cold
Effect: Investigator will take 4 cold damage is he moves from his current position during his next turn.

Action Point
[roll2] vs. Will
[roll3] vs. Will
[roll4] psychic

If I hit the minion, I will use Cloud Sight on the investigator (-5 to hit me). In addition, if he is hit by Fascinating Shadows he will take 2 psychic the first time attacks me before the end of my next turn.

I'm going to hold off on moving or minor until I see what happens with the attacks.

Tukka
2013-01-29, 02:03 PM
After nudging Taral, Aurora in her big cat form darts through the gatehouse door, down the stairs and takes several savage swipes at the fey drake, one of which catches the creature across the chest, provoking a high-pitched hiss.
The fey drake takes 4 damage.

Also, you've been traveling with Leif since you guys met in the forest where the mysterious gout of flame appeared, though she's been quiet since her player was MIA.

In addition, the fey drake is no longer invisible (even without faerie fire), it lost that condition when it attacked Leif earlier.

Also: You had combat advantage vs. the drake, so that was a +2 to your attack rolls, which is what allowed you to hit. And a tip for future reference, you would have been strictly better off using Pounce in this situation, since you didn't opt to slide the fey drake; it would have allowed you to charge, which is good for an extra +1 to your attack roll, and made the fey drake grant combat advantage... which it already is from faerie fire, but that is set to end before the CA from you Pounce would have.

As a general rule, when acting on your turn, Pounce will be better to use than Savage Rend unless you want to reposition the target.

The rebel investigator gasps as he's lashed by the freezing claws of the shadowy beast produced by Saradoc, who pops back into sight. The shadow beast then melts into floor, still present in two-dimensional form, waiting to strike at the investigator again should he move.

Then more shadows pour forth from Saradoc's cane, engulfing the rebel patrolman and investigator. The patrolman seems to weather the assault, while the investigator stumbles; he's bloodied and looks a bit dizzy.
The investigator takes a total of 19 damage from Saradoc's attacks.

Also, I think you've got the way Shadow Twist backwards... it looks like it applies when no creatures are adjacent to the target. I'm not going to retcon the last round to see if it would've changed anything, but if you want to choose different targets for Fascinating Shadows for this turn, let me know. Or let me know if I'm somehow reading Shadow Twist wrong.

Condition Summary

Allies
Taral - prone
Aeric - bloodied; slowed (save ends); +2 bonus to defenses until the end of Aeric's next turn, grants combat advantage and cannot benefit from concealment until the end of the investigator's next turn

Enemies
Rebel Bruiser - blinded until the end of Aeric's next turn, marked by Leif (Divine Sanction), grants combat advantage and cannot benefit from concealment until the end of the investigator's next turn
Fey Drake - grants combat advantage and cannot benefit from concealment until the end of the investigator's next turn
Rebel Investigator - Bloodied; Fascinating Shadows (takes 2 psychic damage every time he attacks Saradoc until the end of Saradoc's next turn); Shadow Claws (takes 4 damage if he moves until the end of Saradoc's next turn)
Jorjah - marked by Taral (Divine Sanction), bloodied, unconscious, ongoing 5 cold/necrotic (save ends)

Maps

Frothingslosh
2013-01-29, 02:07 PM
No, you're right, I just had a mental fritz on the map. Thought there was a 1 square gap between the two. I'll stick with them for now, thanks.

Falconknight06
2013-01-29, 03:34 PM
Seeing his chance with the large bruiser being blinded, Aeric decides to leverage himself in a way to move the creature away from himself and the machine, allowing his allies the chance to attack the large man as he stumbles back.

Move action to draw my dagger

Positioning Strike time!
Dex vs. Will
[roll0]

If I hit
Damage
[roll1]

Sneak Attack Damage because of having CA
[roll2]

And I slide him 1+Cha mod squares (so 4 squares)
I-6 to I-7 to I-8 to J-8

If I remember the rules right, this should allow both Leif and Aurora Attacks of Opportunity, as well as having him block the doorway into the gatehouse

Tukka
2013-01-29, 03:51 PM
Aeric's cunning attack with his dagger bites deep, slipping between the bruiser's ribs and bloodying him. Aeric then shoves the bruiser towards the wall opposite the gate controls and steps into the spot the bruiser had been formerly occupying.

Aeric does a total of 11 damage to the bruiser. The bruiser is no longer blinded (though he still grants CA from faerie fire). Aeric's Second Wind bonus to defenses expires.

Note: Forced movement doesn't provoke opportunity attacks. Also, the Artful Dodger rider on Positioning Strike allows you to slide him your Cha mod squares instead of 1 square, not 1 square plus Cha mod (so only three squares).

You can still slide him to J-8 if you want. He wouldn't block the door very effectively though. Creatures can move through their allies' squares unhindered, though of course they can't end their move in allies' squares. I'm going to keep the bruiser in I-5 until you confirm where you want to put him.

Drawing the dagger is a minor action, so you still have a move or minor action if you have anything else you want to do. Also, roll to save vs. slowed. (Issues resolved.)

Condition Summary

Allies
Taral - prone
Aeric - bloodied; slowed (save ends); Faerie Fire*

Enemies
Rebel Bruiser - Bloodied; marked by Leif (Divine Sanction), Faerie Fire*
Fey Drake - Faerie Fire*
Rebel Investigator - Bloodied; Fascinating Shadows (takes 2 psychic damage every time he attacks Saradoc until the end of Saradoc's next turn); Shadow Claws (takes 4 damage if he moves until the end of Saradoc's next turn)

*Characters limned in Faerie Fire grant combat advantage and cannot benefit from concealment until the end of the investigator's next turn

Maps

Frothingslosh
2013-01-29, 04:32 PM
I'm going to move to Q20 (3 squares granting me concealment). I am feeling very squishy with all of the minions approaching.

Tukka
2013-01-29, 04:41 PM
Done.

Condition Summary

Allies
Taral - prone
Saradoc - concealment

Enemies
Rebel Bruiser - Bloodied; marked by Leif (Divine Sanction), Faerie Fire*
Fey Drake - Faerie Fire*

*Characters limned in Faerie Fire grant combat advantage and cannot benefit from concealment until the end of the investigator's next turn

Maps

mullensmd
2013-01-29, 08:29 PM
As the Bruiser staggers toward her Aurora hisses and claws both him and the drake.

Savage Frenzy:

on Drake: [roll0]
--damage [roll1]

on Bruiser: [roll2]
--damage: [roll3]

atomiclemming
2013-01-29, 08:59 PM
Tintau concentrates and sends the Air elemental to harass the investigator.
He then runs down the steps and accross to H10, dropping Tur to deploy at H9.
He rummages for a second and produces a odd capsule that glows and pulses with a faint whitish light. He breaks it open and a wave of healing energy passes over Aeric
Curative Admixture allows aeric to recover his normal healing surge+2 hps without burning a surge
He surveys whe scene and instructs Tur to fire on the bruiser. The turret ratchets around and lets lose another bolt with a faintly glowing puple head.
using Extra AP point to fire turret with Magic
Weapon [roll0] If hit [roll1] damage

Tukka
2013-01-29, 09:38 PM
[Aurora has already acted this round, and Aeric was mistaken about forced movement drawing opportunity actions (also, Savage Frenzy can't be used as an opportunity action, and generally I'll make the opportunity attack rolls for the players). So Aurora's Savage Frenzy didn't happen (no attacks, no power expended).]

Tintau speeds downstairs and utilizes his arcanoscientific arts to allow Aeric recover 8 hp (he is no longer bloodied). Then Tintau sets down his crossbow-simulacrum which fires a bolt at the bruiser -- it grazes his forehead, leaving a nasty, deep laceration. He screams with pain and anger, lifts his hammer overhead and looks ready to smash the simulacrum, but then the hammer falls from his hands and the bruiser passes out.

I altered your positioning from what you directed because I'm not sure you realized the simulacrum would've drawn an opportunity attack from the bruiser in his new position; if the opportunity attack was made and had hit, it would've destroyed the simulacrum before it could finish its attack, and I didn't want you wasting your AP, especially after you carried the thing downstairs.

If you want me to resolve your actions as you originally posted them, let me know. You may lose your killshot, but if the bruiser misses, Aurora will get the Magic Weapon bonuses.

And again, let me know if you guys want me to stop doing this and just let the chips fall where they may. I'll probably stop making these suggestions sometime during the next encounter.

On Tintau's orders, the air elemental materializes near the rebel investigator and strikes at him with claws of wind, but the investigate manages to evade.
Axis Air Elemental

Move: Fly to L-9
Standard: Flyby Slam against rebel investigator, [roll0] vs. AC. [Miss.] On a hit it would have done [roll1] plus movement shenanigans.

Condition Summary

Allies
Taral - prone
Saradoc - concealment

Enemies
Fey Drake - Faerie Fire*
Rebel Bruiser - Unconscious; Bloodied; marked by Leif (Divine Sanction), Faerie Fire*
Jorjah - Bloodied, unconscious, ongoing 5 cold/necrotic (save ends)

Maps

Yet to act: Leif, Taral

Tegu8788
2013-01-29, 10:05 PM
Taral Kasha

Getting to his feet, Taral runs head long out the door, leaping off the landing and lunging at the guard before him, trying to aim his rapier at a less than necessary organ. Pulling his blade back, he charges down the Investigator, trying to slice the shaft of wood from his hand.

Move: Stand up
Athletics as part of next action: [roll0]

Standard: Charge with Ardent Strike against Minion P11
Attack: [roll1] vs. AC
Hit: [roll2] damage, and the target is subject to your divine sanction until the end of your next turn.
Special: When charging, you can use this power in place of a melee basic attack.

If this drops the Minion, use Hidden Lore (free action) to turn invisible EoNT and...

Action Point: Charge with Ardent Strike against Investigator
Attack: [roll3] vs. AC
Hit: [roll4] damage, and the target is subject to your divine sanction until the end of your next turn.

Screw it, I'll go for it anyway, Wrath the guard if his OA hits.

Tukka
2013-01-29, 10:27 PM
Taral stands up and rushes through the door, and attempts to jump off the landing, but mistimes the leap and stumbles. He manages to grab on to the ledge of the landing.

I suppose the proper skill check to have made in that case would've been Acrobatics to "Hop Down" safely. In any event, a result of 7 doesn't make an Easy DC.

Taral ends his action hanging from the landing in N-11. He can safely drop down and land on his feet without taking any damage (free action). While hanging on to the edge of the landing, he grants combat advantage.

Tegu, you can still spend an action point if you want.

On a side note, I just noticed reducing falling damage with an Acrobatics check can only be made trained.

Condition Summary

Allies
Taral - grants combat advantage while hanging
Aeric - Slowed (save ends); Faerie Fire*
Saradoc - concealment

Enemies
Fey Drake - Faerie Fire*
Rebel Bruiser - Unconscious; Bloodied; marked by Leif (Divine Sanction), Faerie Fire*

Maps

Yet to act: Leif, Taral (if he wants to spend an action point)

Rannoch
2013-01-29, 11:24 PM
Leif swings her sword at the Fey Drake, heals herself, and backs away daring the drake to follow her.

Ardent Strike on Drake (includes -5 from blind)
[roll0]

Damage
[roll1]

Leif uses Lay on Hands on herself.

If Ardent Strike hits,
Leif moves to H5.

If it doesn't hit,
Leif uses Divine Challenge on the Fey Drake.

Tukka
2013-01-30, 12:56 AM
Taral drops to the ground, rears on the investigator and charges forward. The investigator attempts to deflect Taral's swing with his club, but the razor-sharp rapier cuts through the club, sending a wooden shaving flying, and continues on to gash the investigator's forearm. The strike forces the club to the ground, and the investigator himself drops with a thud soon after. Taral vanishes from sight (Hidden Lore).

Leif and the fey drake continue in their melee, but none of Leif's strikes land home. Leif heals her self once more with glowing hands (she regains 7 hp) and issues a divine challenge to the fey drake.

The fey drake's head jerks about as it considers its situation, then flickers out of sight, but for the moment is still visible due to the fading faerie fire. It nimbly shifts towards the door. A moment later, the faerie fire dies out completely and the fey drake is invisible once again, just as Leif's sight returns.

One of the patrolman shouts "It's pointless now, retreat!" The shift away from their nearest opponents, then take a running leap into the water. The other two run away from the lighthouse along the wall.

Condition Summary

Allies
Aeric - Slowed (save ends)
Saradoc - concealment

Enemies
Fey Drake - Invisible
Rebel Patrolmen (in water) - concealment due to being partially submerged
Rebel Patrolmen (running away) - running (they grant combat advantage)
Rebel Investigator - Unconscious; Bloodied; Fascinating Shadows (takes 2 psychic damage every time he attacks Saradoc until the end of Saradoc's next turn); Shadow Claws (takes 4 damage if he moves until the end of Saradoc's next turn)

Map

Lighthouse Battle (https://dl.dropbox.com/s/hrtc3wrv57d0p3r/GatehouseNear1.png)

Yet to act: Everyone.

mullensmd
2013-01-30, 10:44 AM
(sorry, thought we were in new round)

Aurora's heart will want to chase them- but her mind knows she's got more important work. She shifts back from the cat and moves over to Aeric.

"Give me the scrolls!"

Frothingslosh
2013-01-30, 12:20 PM
Master Saradoc Montajay II

Reinforce the doors, and prepare for the onslaught. I will remain up here and signal our vessels. If anyone can get that drake, please do.

I'll move back to the window to maintain concealment, then begin the signaling.

Edit:

As he reads the scroll, a great explosion of light and fire erupts in the sky. It's not quite the image the fleet was expecting. A giant top hat on a cane, in a brilliant purple and orange, show above the fort. Over the ritual the image changes, cycling through an RHC, a target, and Hurry, ending at the top hat and cane again. The signal is clear, and the Duchess is left with no doubt that the group she escaped from before is here, and coming to get her.

Falconknight06
2013-01-30, 05:15 PM
Aeric will call to Tintau hey, let's see if we can't sabotage these controls, prevent the gate from being closed again, or maybe at least slowing down anyone trying to reverse our opening of the gate. As he speaks, Aeric will pick up his dropped pistols, reloading both. He'll also patch himself up a bit (purely cosmetic as I've already second winded, and my healing power is a daily).

Thievery check to assist the sabotage
[roll0]

Though, if taking ten is an option, I would have done that since we have a bit of time

Tegu8788
2013-01-30, 05:34 PM
Taral Kasha

Disappear from view as the man falls to his blade, Taral looks around to try and see where that shimmering drake disappeared. Spying it in the doorway, he charges forward, hoping to down the last high priority enemy that could quickly alert others to what had occurred. Unseen, he rushes in. Reappearing in the doorway, he shouts to his allies "Get the drake, I've got it pinned!"

Minor: Perception to see the drake [roll0]
Standard: Charge with Ardent Strike against the Drake
Rolls in OOC thread.
Alert allies to the location of the drake with free action speech.

atomiclemming
2013-01-30, 09:23 PM
Tintau nods and moves down to the controls studying them to figure out the best way to disable them. He pulls small prybar from his bag and pops the cover up. He then nods and produces a large spanner wrench.
Tintau turns his head slightly studying the mechanism and then hits the gears as hard as he can with the wrench.
The impact of the wrench sens a few gears flying into the room and he smiles satisfied
insta success
If drake is not dead Tintau will spend an action having the turret fire off a bolt.
[roll1d20
+7[/roll] magic weapon
if hit [roll0] damages

atomiclemming
2013-01-30, 09:25 PM
ooc sorry dice roller is messing up on me

atomiclemming
2013-01-30, 09:27 PM
If Need to fire on drake
[roll0] to hit

Tukka
2013-01-30, 09:35 PM
Taral materializes in front of the gatehouse door and strikes at his enemy foe and a jet of a bright red blood sprays the wall, then Tintau looses a glowing crossbow bolt that vanishes into thin air. A second later, the bolt rematerializes in the prostrate, unconscious (dead?) form of the fey drake.

Note that everyone knew the location of the fey drake; it didn't have an opportunity to make a stealth check to hide. You always know the location of invisible creatures unless they're also hidden.

It's a little unintuitive. This thread (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/25474357/The_Rules_Of_Hidden_Club:__Targeting_things_you_ca nt_see_in_DD.?pg=1) explains it pretty well.

Rannoch
2013-01-30, 10:18 PM
Seeing no more enemies to face, Leif moves upstairs intending to take a look at the shelf full of tools and other stuff before moving outside and barricading the lighthouse.

mullensmd
2013-01-31, 12:42 PM
On hearing the explosions Aurora will smile apologeticly at Aeric.

My apologies. Sometimes while I'm the beast all you guys start to look alike.

She then laughs Except Teral. He'd stand out to ANY eyes!

She then moves over to the lower door, musing openly to herself.

Now, lets see. What would be good to block this door with? Ah- I know!

With that she becomes the biggest, most ferocious Ape her power can muster and just waits there like the bouncer at a Flint whorehouse.

Tegu8788
2013-01-31, 02:25 PM
Taral Kasha

Strapping the wood and metal shield onto his forearm, he mutters as he walks away. "Yes, yes, no one can confuse me for a normal citizen of our fair country. Is it my crimson complexion, big golden eyes, purple hair, back swept horns, or my elongated tail? Now, we can continue a game of point at the cursed guy, or we can started to get some work done defending this place." Turning over one of the barrels at the top of the long ramp, kicking it down so that it smashed against the dock, before turning the remain barrels over, setting them to crash at the turn of the ramp, exploding its contents of tar and oozing down the last part of the ramp towards the docks. Pulling flint and steel from his bandolier he strikes a spark, attempting to ignite the tar.

Athletics to make a barricade [roll0]

Tukka
2013-01-31, 03:11 PM
Hold the Lighthouse

Below are the general rules for this encounter. A later post will include a map with updated positions, as well as the actions each player has specified for the round.

Order and Timescale

Each round represents one minute.
Each PC may perform one action each round.
A PC may spend an action point to perform one additional action during the round.
The PCs at first every round, but enemies that are killed still get to perform an action for the turn to reflect the simultaneity of the scene.
Using Second Wind or any other healing power does require an action.

Movement

The encounter area (https://dl.dropbox.com/s/cvg5jpmctpwv48w/HoldtheLighthouse.png) is divided into three sections: On the Sea Wall, Outside Lighthouse and Inside Lighthouse. Mechanically, these are the only three locations that matter -- movement by 5 ft square will not be tracked. When you take your action, you may move to any location. You remain in that location until the start of your next turn.
If the lighthouse has 5 points of barricade or more, players cannot ordinarily move in and out of the lighthouse. If at least one player is already in the lighthouse, that character may send down a rope which will allow players to move between the Inside and Outside Lighthouse locations, but any characters relying on a rope to move take a -5 penalty on any skill checks made during that turn.
To move out of an area occupied by enemies, PCs must make a successful Stealth or Acrobatics check (DC 12). On a failure, you stop your movement in the location occupied by the enemy. This does not take up your action for the round.

Options & Actions

The DC for most checks is 18.

This list is not necessarily exhaustive. If you have an idea or want to try something, let me know. Utilizing any of these options requires you to use your action for the round.

Battle (Special)
The PC does not have to make a check to perform this action. Instead, he must have an attack power that can reach enemy forces, even just a ranged basic attack (however, the PC must be proficient with the weapon or implement used). Melee attacks work if the PC ends his turn in the same location as enemies. A range of 5 squares is necessary to reach an adjacent location, or a range of 20 squares if the enemies are not in an adjacent location.

Assemble Barricade (Athletics check, partial progress on failure)
A PC hurriedly piles various objects at hand (from supplies inside the lighthouse, the barrels along the outer wall, etc.) to halt the enemies' advance. (So barricade constructed in the Outside Lighthouse location prevents them from advancing into that location, the yellow area.) The PC creates 3 points of barricade inside the lighthouse on a successful check, or 2 points of barricade outside the lighthouse. A failed check places 1 point of barricade.

A PC cannot assemble a barricade in a location already occupied by enemies. Barricading the Sea Wall (blue area) isn't practical.

The Outside Lighthouse area can support up to 20 points of barricade, while the Inside Lighthouse can support up to 10 points. More than 5 points of barricade on the Inside Lighthouse prevents the PCs' movement in and out of the lighthouse unless you devise some other way to get in and out.

Brace (Endurance check)
The PC must be inside the lighthouse to use this action. By using his own force to hold barricades in place, he makes it harder for enemies to get through. The first two enemies who try to remove barricades this round have no effect.

Sabotage the Gate Controls (Thievery check*)
*A technologist does not have to make a check to perform this action (auto-success). If the PCs are defeated or devise a method from retreating from the battlefield, it takes the the enemy at least 1 round to repair or work around the damage.

After a technologist sabotages the gate controls, a Thievery check may also be made to add 1 round to the length of time it would take to repair the controls or work around the sabotage.

This PC must be in the Inside Lighthouse location to perform this action.

Lighthouse Spotlight (Athletics check)
The PC repositions the lighthouse brazier and mirror to shine down on the outside area. The light partially blinds anybody looking up, making it more difficult to land hits on characters taking shots from the upper stories of the lighthouse. Ranged attacks against characters in the lighthouse do -1 damage.

This PC must be in the Inside Lighthouse location to perform this action.

Arcane Trickery (Arcana check)
The PC uses arcane trickery to confuse and misdirect enemies, causing them to act ineffectively for the round. On a success, 3 enemies take no action for the round but they still advance as far forward as they can. To use this option, the PC must have a power with the illusion or enchantment keywords. Having a power with range 5 allows this option to be used against enemies in adjacent locations, range 20 allows it to be used on any enemy on the battlefield.

Stall (Diplomacy or Intimidate)
The PCs call out to the advancing enemies to convince them to halt their advance. On a success, the enemies halt their advance and do not attack for a round. Various factors might make stalling the enemies more or less difficult.

Silence (Special)
A PC may use a scroll of Silence in a location; for the duration of the battle, spellcasters in that location may be prevented from attacking effectively.

Tar Slick (Special)
With a successful DC 16 Wisdom or Intelligence check, the PC coats a bottleneck area with oil and tar from the lighthouse supplies. The tar impedes movement in the area, and enemy forces must spend 2 actions to clear away the tar enough to allow any enemies to advance. On a failed check, it only takes 1 enemy action to clear the tar, and igniting the tar is not effective enough to harm any enemies.

In addition, a PC can spend another action to ignite the tar and oil thoroughly. This kills 2 enemies in that location and deals 3 damage to every PC that is in or passes through the tarred location that round. The fire does burns down enough to have no effect in later rounds. The PC must be adjacent to the tar to thoroughly ignite it unless that PC has uses a ranged attack power that deals fire damage.

This action cannot be performed in an area already occupied by enemies. There are only enough supplies to use this action once.

Set Trap (Thievery)
A PC uses available materials (weapons, ropes, loose stones, supplies from storage) to assemble a trap that lasts until the end of the encounter or until expended. A PC cannot assemble a trap in a location already occupied by enemies. When the enemies reach that location, the trap is expended and it kills one enemy.

Set Ward (Arcana)
As Set Trap, except the PC scratches some sigils into the surface and uses one of his magical powers to empower the trap. To use this action, the PC must either have the Ritual Caster feat, or have an implement attack power.

Enemy Mechanics/Behavior
Advance: The first thing the enemies will do on their turn is advance, which means they move forward until they encounter an impediment. The enemies stop when they enter a location occupied by a PC, or when the next location they wish to enter is barricaded. The enemies may also advance after they have acted, if all impediments have been removed at the end of their turn.
Act: Then the enemies perform their action for the turn. This usually means either they attack a PC, or they attempt to damage/dissemble barricades in an adjacent area.
Attacking PCs in the Lighthouse: The enemies can't attack a PC in the Inside Lighthouse unless the enemies are also in that location, or the PC attacks that round.
Enemy Representation on the Map: In in-game terms, one "enemy" might be several minions. What typically matters most is the number of enemies, not necessarily the type. Each "enemy" will be represented by 1 token on the map, even if that enemy is, in actuality, several minions.

Tukka
2013-01-31, 03:39 PM
Hold the Lighthouse

Battlefield Map (https://dl.dropbox.com/s/jqb1ab2kk31nnkn/HoldtheLighthouseBattle.png)

PC Actions:

Round 1

Aeric: Sabotage the Gate Controls [Inside Lighthouse]
Aurora: Assemble Barricade (Location?)
Leif: Assemble Barricade [Outside Lighthouse]
Saradoc: Aid another to position Lighthouse Spotlight [Inside Lighthouse]
Taral: Tar Slick [Sea Wall]
Tintau: Sabotage the Gate Controls [Inside Lighthouse]

Note for Aurora:
Changing shape doesn't change your size or stats. What your character is doing is essentially the Brace option, which is an Endurance check. I will give you a +2 bonus on those checks in that form, though.

However, bracing is really only useful if there is a barricade in place, and there are enemies at the door. You guys still have a couple rounds before the enemies show up, so you may want to do something else in the meantime -- that is, if you still want to brace at all.

Frothingslosh
2013-01-31, 04:35 PM
Following the fireworks display, Saradoc moves up to the light to try and identify the best angle of using it as a distraction.

[roll0]

Rannoch
2013-01-31, 04:36 PM
Leif attempts to build a barricade outside the lighthouse.

Athletics check
[roll0]

atomiclemming
2013-01-31, 09:50 PM
Tintau moves to the Sea wall area and looks for a suitable barrel.
After quickly inpecting them he finds one that contains gunpowder.
Tintau takes a sharp tool from his bag and etches runes into the sides of the barrell.
The runes glow faintly and then subside as he moves back into the outer lighhouse close to the door for the inner section. Tintau draws his crossbow waiting for the impending onslaught and hoping the reinforcements from Risur don't take too long.
1d20+9arcana set ward

atomiclemming
2013-01-31, 09:51 PM
ooc arcana check again
[roll0]

mullensmd
2013-02-01, 12:20 AM
Aurora grunts at Taral's reply- filing it for later as she moves to help build what barricade can be constructed in the time they have.

Athletics check: [roll0]

Tegu8788
2013-02-01, 01:11 AM
Taral Kasha

Falling back to just outside the Lighthouse, he uses his embedded magical prowess to place Wards on the wall he had tripped over earlier. The spiral star scar glows on his left palm, and he grits his teeth to the pain it causes him. As much as his race makes things difficult for him, his people have always had a connection with arcane fire. If his spell works, any foe that attempts to approach the wall will be engulfed in mystical flames.

Arcane to create a Ward [roll0]

Falconknight06
2013-02-01, 05:18 AM
Aeric watches the controls get sufficiently sabotaged, then moves to barricade the door connecting the gatehouse to the outer lighthouse. After that, he moves into position to be able to fire his pistol at any approaching enemies.

My unlikely to succeed Athletics check

[roll0]

And if at all possible, Aeric will stay in the room with the gate controls themselves. If not, the nearest place he can fire from and still be in the inner lighthouse.

Tukka
2013-02-01, 12:47 PM
The party takes a brief moment to rest, and recover and repair their equipment while Saradoc completes the ritual upstairs. His signature top hat and cane are imprinted brilliantly in the night sky before cycling through other symbols, beckoning the nearby (but as yet, out of sight) Risuri fleet.

Tintau and Aeric work on sabotaging the gate controls. By prying off a panel on the side of the controls, Tintau is able to look at the guts of the machiney. The tangle of gears, pipes and rods is nearly incomprehensible to Aeric, but Tintau has a good idea about how the pieces fit together. He sees the part that, if removed, should cause the most trouble to anyone trying to close the gate, but has a little trouble maneuvering to reach it. Seeing Tintau's problem, Aeric uses a probe from his theives' tools to gently nudge a coil of springs out of Tintau's way, so that the technologist is able to remove the necessary part.

Meanwhile, Saradoc attempts tries in vain to reposition the lighthouse mirror to angle it downwards, but only manages to slow the rotation of the lighthouse lamp slightly.

Aurora and Leif set barricading the area, while Taral positions some barrels of tar and oil to send them tumbling down the ramp. The tar splatters on the ground and should provide some impediment to approaching soldiers, but it isn't quite the outcome Taral was looking for.

Battlefield Map (https://dl.dropbox.com/s/jqb1ab2kk31nnkn/HoldtheLighthouseBattle.png)

That's the pre-encounter and round 1 activity. Though I still need to what know location Aurora barricades.

Also: The map (https://dl.dropbox.com/s/jqb1ab2kk31nnkn/HoldtheLighthouseBattle.png) reflects the latest information I have about people's actions. I'm not waiting for everyone to post before updating the map.

Round 2

Aeric: Assemble Barricade [Inside Lighthouse]
Aurora:
Leif: Assemble Barricade [Outside Lighthouse]
Saradoc: Set Ward [Sea Wall]
Taral: Set Ward [Outside Lighthouse]
Tintau: Set Ward [Outside Lighthouse]

Rannoch
2013-02-01, 02:27 PM
Leif

Leif continues to build up barricades outside the lighthouse.

Athletics check
[roll0]

Frothingslosh
2013-02-02, 02:19 PM
After setting his wards, Saradoc retreats to the second floor of the lighthouse, where he might be able to put his skills to good use.

Tukka
2013-02-03, 12:54 PM
Taral and Tintau set to work attempting to set wards near the lighthouse, and Saradoc does so down by the docks. Leif continues to bar the outer lighthouse area, while Aurora and Aeric bar the interior doors.

Just as they're finishing, the first wave of the Duchess' rebel forces arrive to attempt to retake the lighthouse, composed of some fifteen or so men. A halberd-wielding soldier on the Sea Wall shouts, "For Shale and the Duchess! We need to close that gate, boys!" They make ready to attack.

It's been 48 hours since the end of the last round, so I'll have Aurora spend the first round barring the Outside Lighthouse, then have her bar the Inside Lighthouse. The following roll is her check to bar the Inside Lighthouse:

Aurora's athletics check to assemble barricades (Inside Lighthouse): [roll0].

Round 3 actions

Aeric: Battle (Snipe) [Inside Lighthouse]
Aurora: Assemble Barricade [Inside Lighthouse]
Leif: Battle (Valorous Smite) [Sea Wall]
Saradoc: Battle [Inside Lighthouse]
Taral: Battle (Infernal Wrath) [Sea Wall]
Tintau: Battle [Inside Lighthouse]

The enemies will take their turns after the players do.

[Hold the Lighthouse Encounter Rules & Notes] (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=14628034&postcount=121)

atomiclemming
2013-02-03, 09:19 PM
Tintau scans the upcoming group and sends the air elemental to go try to blow a minion or two off the narrow seawall.
He concentrates a bit and takes aim at the lead soldier with his crossbow , loosing a bolt that pulses with purple energy before moving backwards into the inner lighthouse.
[roll0]
if hit [roll1]

Falconknight06
2013-02-03, 10:04 PM
Aeric whispers a quick prayer for the Duchesses soldiers, and apologizes as he fires a pistol into the crowd of approaching soldiers then quickly reloads as he ducks behind the windowsill

My only attack with a 20 square range is with my pistol, so that's all I can use. Using my at will power piercing strike.

Also, I thought you mentioned lessening damage from counterattacks with a stealth check, but I might have dreamed that.

Stealth check
[roll0]

Tegu8788
2013-02-03, 10:59 PM
Taral Kasha

Leaping over the small barricade he charges the nearest set of foes. Rapier drawn, he slashes with the tip of his sharp weapon, channeling his ancestors fiery nature into his sword, engulfing it in a burst of fire. Shouting back, "For Shale, and for the KING! We need to keep that gate open!"

Target the wizard, investigator, and/or bruiser if possible. Expending Infernal Wraith to kill two targets.

Rannoch
2013-02-04, 12:50 AM
Leif

Leif follows Taral over the barricade onto the sea wall and strikes at her foes.

Valorous Smite, targeting (2) whoever Taral leaves behind.

Frothingslosh
2013-02-04, 10:18 AM
Saradoc

Not liking being in the thick of it, Saradoc will release his Unseelie Sprites, harassing the enemy and giving him a chance to retreat closer to the lighthouse.

Ecounter: Unseelie Sprites. Cloud Sight and Shadow Walk to help avoid damage during retreat.

mullensmd
2013-02-04, 01:28 PM
Aurora will keep building the inner barracades up, growling about wanting to be able to split herself in two to guard both entrances. She will concentrate most of her work on the upper entrace to allow th others to fall back into the control room if needed.

Athletics: [roll0]

Tukka
2013-02-05, 03:20 PM
The rebels begin their approach; as the enemies on the lower level near the water approach, a nearby barrel explodes injuring several enemies. The blast sends one patrolman into the bay, and another onto the deck of the nearby ship; it also knocks over a cask of firedust -- which goes up in a brilliant red-white flash, but unfortunately the only damage done is a slight singing received by the rebel investigator.

The enemy wizard is preoccupied throughout most of the fight clearing away the tar and oil from the ramp through a combination of conjured rain and telekinesis while Taral harasses her with his sword. She tries to conk him with her orb implement a couple times, but manages to only land a weak blow before Taral strikes her down.

The soldier punishes Taral with a clean stroke of his glaive, which slices him just above the hip for 6 damage. Taral responds with fiery fury, both literally and figuratively -- flames engulf the soldier, burning him badly, and then the tiefling finishes the job with three quick, deft strikes to the man's throat, chest and belly. He collapses to the ground.

The surviving patrolmen advance forward cautiously, firing bowshots at enemies in the gatehouse/lighthouse as they present themselves. Tintau and Aeric each take 3 damage from glancing arrows.

Saradoc attempts to extricate himself from the melee in a fighting withdrawal. He calls forth swarm after swarm of tiny flitting winged shadows, taking down most of the patrolmen who had approached by way of the upper sea wall. The bruiser engages Saradoc and whacks him for 6 damage in the arm, nearly loosing the gnome's grip on his cane, but Saradoc fights on, summoning another wave of unseelie sprites to strike down the remaining patrolmen, with a little help from the air elemental. Saradoc then clouds the bruiser's sight, slips through a small gap in the nearby barricade, and enters the lighthouse. Leif punishes the bruiser for his last attack against Saradoc with a divine burst of light, and several cuts from his sword and brings the hammer-wielding foe down.

The second soldier and the rebel investigator divide their attacks between Taral and Leif. It's a bewildering melee; the investigator uses fey mists to obscure the two combatants, and a couple times forces them to strike at each other through enchantments. Taral and Leif each take 6 damage each from the melee, but a relentless combination of Aeric and Tintau's gun and crossbow fire from beyond the barricades strike down the soldier and investigator.

More enemies are approaching. It looks like there are a couple minutes away, but this wave is larger than the first and it seems the wave to follow that one may be larger still.

However, from the upper stories of the lighthouse, keen eyes might glimpse a pale light from the sea. It seems your reinforcements are nearing as well, though at a painfully uncertain speed. Aurora continued to reinforce the lighthouse and gatehouse barricades during the first battle -- hopefully, these fortifications and your arms will prove strong enough to hold out against the enemy forces that approach.

Round 3 breakdown

You guys had a bit of overkill this round -- you had more attacks than was necessary to kill all of the enemies, so I decided Leif didn't use Valorous Smite, so that power is still available.

Saradoc's Ward: Kills 1 enemy (patrolmen)

Aeric: Battle, kills 1 enemy (investigator)
Aurora: Assemble Barricade (inside lighthouse)
Leif: Battle, kills 1 enemy (bruiser)
Saradoc: Battle, kills 1 enemy (patrolmen)
Taral: Battle with Infernal Wrath, kills 2 enemies (wizard and soldier)
Tintau: Battle, kills 1 enemy (soldier)

Enemies:

Soldier 1: Battle Taral for 6 damage
Wizard: Clear Tar Slick
Patrolman group 1: Battle Aeric for 3 damage
Patrolman group 2: Battle Tintau for 3 damage
Bruiser: Battle Saradoc for 6 damage
Soldier 2: Battle Leif for 6 damage
Investigator: Battle Taral for 6 damage

Round 4 action queue

Aeric: Sabotage Gate Controls, Thievery check: 13 (Inside Lighthouse)
Aurora: Assemble Barricade, Athletics check: 15 (Inside Lighthouse)
Leif: Assemble Barricade, Athletics check: 11 (Outside Lighthouse)
Saradoc: Set Ward, Arcana check: 27 (Outside Lighthouse)
Taral: Assemble Barricade, Athletics check: 3 (Outside Lighthouse)
Tintau: Set Ward, Arcana check: 20 (Sea Wall)

atomiclemming
2013-02-05, 09:33 PM
Tintau moves to toss a curative admixture out to Taral and then moves to reinforce the outer lighthouse baricade etching in runes to hopefully cast thundering armor
arcana check

(if second round before enemies come , Tintau moves to the inner lighthouse and sets another thundering armor ward on the inner lighthouse baricades)
[roll1d20+9

hope this shocks some sense into them. they shouldn't mess with tintau , no. Tur will get them when they come. Tintau mutters to himself as he works

atomiclemming
2013-02-05, 09:35 PM
2nd set ward check if time
[roll0]

Tegu8788
2013-02-06, 01:20 PM
Taral Kasha

Tingling as the magic take place, Taral instantly feels some relief. Grabbing the weapons and bodies of the fallen, he drags them together, stacking them atop each other. Not only to they serve to strengthen the barricades, they will give pause to the next wave of attackers.

Athletics to build a barricade [roll0]
What is the Wis mod on Tintua? Trying to track my health.

Frothingslosh
2013-02-06, 01:37 PM
Saradoc will put his skills to use reinforcing the traps awaiting the enemy should they breach the barricade between the sea wall and the outer lighthouse.

[roll0]
And if possible [roll1]

mullensmd
2013-02-06, 05:15 PM
Aurora will continue to strengthen this barrier for one more round before moving to the lower entrance.

Athletics check;[roll0]

Falconknight06
2013-02-06, 06:24 PM
Aeric will take his time without enemies to quickly scan the controls to see if there is anything else he can do to sabotage them, but this technology is far beyond his skill. So he moves back into a sniping position, reloading both of his pistols and firing at the approaching enemies

Rolls are in the OOC thread

Rannoch
2013-02-06, 06:27 PM
Seeing the duchess' forces defeated around her, Leif resumes barricading the area outside the lighthouse.

Athletics check
[roll0]

Tukka
2013-02-07, 10:59 PM
Aeric continues to root through the guts of the gate controls, but the high quality of the Danoran engineering continues to thwart him. Nearby, Aurora continues to pile tools and supplies against the door, further reinforcing the entrances to the lighthouse and gatehouse. Outside, Leif and Taral are at the same labor, reinforcing the exterior barricades, which Tintau scratches some runic wards onto; he also spares a moment to aid Taral with a healing infusion. Nearby, Saradoc also sets a shadowy ward, barely visible in the sputtering gaslight.

Another flickering light is cast by Tintau's punishing eye -- the magic that sustains it seems to be petering out, but not before it reveals the outline of a trio of fey drakes.

Between Aeric's gunfire, the air elemental, and the advantage of the Punishing Eye, that will take care of the fey drakes this round, so the rest of you can continue fortifying, etc.

The next full wave of enemies will arrive next round.

Round 5 action queue

Aeric: Battle/Snipe, Stealth check: 12 (Inside Lighthouse)
Aurora: Assemble Barricade, Athletics check: 17 (Outside Lighthouse)
Leif: Assemble Barricade, Athletics check: -1 (Outside Lighthouse)
Saradoc: Set Ward, Arcana check: 9 (Outside Lighthouse)
Taral: Set Ward, Arcana check: 21 (Outside Lighthouse)
Tintau: Set Ward, Arcana check: 10 (Inside Lighthouse)

Tegu8788
2013-02-07, 11:32 PM
Taral Kasha

Stepping away from the barricade, Taral uses his blade to lift a Fey Drake, a smoking round wound in it's side. Silently he moves his lips, the words sharp and clipped. The corpse becomes very cold, the eyes clouded over. He tosses the body down to the dock, so that the next vessel to land will trigger it.

Stay on Sea Wall
Use Dread Smite to enchant corpse, so it will kill two targets.

Rannoch
2013-02-08, 01:25 AM
Leif continues her work on the outer lighthouse barricades.

athletics check, reinforce barricades
[roll0]

mullensmd
2013-02-08, 11:58 PM
Aurora leaves the upper entrance- if the others want to build it up further fine. But she moves to the lower entrance and begins to build up its barracade.

Athletics:[roll0]

Tukka
2013-02-10, 12:12 AM
The fey drakes advance and start tearing away pieces of the outer barricade with their tails. Aeric answers the assault with gunfire, with aim aided by the arcane illumination of Tintau's Punishing Eye, he dispatches two of the creatures; the air elemental joins in the attack as well, and manages to push one of the fey drakes over the ledge to its doom.

Aurora and Leif continue their work repairing the barricade, undoing some of the damage done by the drakes, while Saradoc and Taral attempt to set more wards outside the lighthouse, while Tintau does the same inside.

Just as the last drake is slain, Tintau's punishing eye flashes red once more, then drops to the ground with a clank.

Then several more enemies enter attack range.

Round 5 action summary

Air elemental: Battle, kills 1 fey drake
Aeric: Battle/Snipe, kills 2 fey drakes (with an assist from the Punishing Eye)
Aurora: Assemble Barricade, Athletics check: 17 (Outside Lighthouse)
Leif: Assemble Barricade, Athletics check: -1 (Outside Lighthouse)
Saradoc: Set Ward, Arcana check: 9 -- failure (Outside Lighthouse)
Taral: Set Ward, Arcana check: 21 -- success (Outside Lighthouse)
Tintau: Set Ward, Arcana check: 10 -- failure (Inside Lighthouse)

Fey drake 1: Damage Barricade (1 point)
Fey drake 2: Damage Barricade(1 point)
Fey drake 3: Damage Barricade (1 point)

Round 6 action queue

Air elemental: Battle, at-will (Sea Wall)
Aeric: Battle, at-will Piercing Strike (Inside Lighthouse)
Aurora: Assemble Barricade (Outside Lighthouse)
Leif: Battle, encounter Valorous Smite (Sea Wall)
Saradoc: Intimidating Bluff, check result: 14 (Inside Lighthouse)
Taral: Intimidating Bluff, check result: 19 (Sea Wall)
Tintau: Battle, at-will Magic Weapon (Inside Lighthouse)

Falconknight06
2013-02-10, 01:05 AM
Man, I really hope the army gets here soon, I don't know how long we can hold these soldiers off, and I'd prefer this was done with less bloodshed Aeric says to himself, as he continues sniping into the crowd of approaching soldiers.

Another piercing strike with my pistol

Tegu8788
2013-02-10, 01:37 AM
Taral Kasha

His morbid ward set, Taral looks back to the half-elf. "I doubt they will stop, but I'll give them one last chance." Moving to stand before the oncoming forces, Taral shouts at them, sword and shield at the ready and assuming an imposing pose.

"Your parents taught you to fear my kind! Your instructors and leaders told you to be vary! All those tales of the horrendous things the horned devils would do to you if one caught you!

Ask yourself, if every one of your superiors fear me, what hope to do have against me? I will eat the flesh from your bones, like that of those that have already fallen to my blade. Smell the flesh I've burnt, see the corpses you must trudge though! Unless you plan to join them, turn back now! I might let you live to tell the tale of the day to met the devil!!"

He lets out a throaty laugh, before finishing his taunt in an eerie whisper.

So do the smart thing. Let somebody else try first."

Blade still dripping with drake blood, and his shadowy arcane aura flaring to life, his golden eyes gleam with danger.

Bluff to keep them distracted [roll0]
Also, whisper (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xjnht1k8M7w).

Edit: Good thing I have that huge modifier.

mullensmd
2013-02-10, 07:02 PM
Aurora grunts at Aeric's musings and starrts fortifying the lower entrance. She knows that what they're doing is nothing compared to what the main force will do once it arrives- a drop in the bucket so to speak.

atomiclemming
2013-02-10, 08:17 PM
Tintau smiles a little knowing his creation has done its job well. He makes a mental note to collect it if he can. Much to be learned from its flight. Perhaps ways of making it better and at the least parts to be reused.
Yes much to measure as well.

He looses a bolt at the oncoming horde and falls back into the inside of the lighthouse.

Frothingslosh
2013-02-11, 03:25 PM
Seeing an opportunity present itself, Saradoc will use his skills to help sow dissent and worry among the coming troops.

Using Ghost Sound (Encounter Arcane, Illusion), he will make it sound like the enemy is considering flight, (e.g. "The Risur fleet is here, we need to run!", "The Duchess lied to us.", "They are to strong in the lighthouse, we need to fall back.", etc..)

[roll0] (or intimidate or diplomacy if you prefer - all the same bonus).

Following that Saradoc continues to move around the lighthouse to keep the shadows about him with his Shadow Walk.

Rannoch
2013-02-12, 08:28 PM
Leif

Brandishing her sword and shield Leif rejoins Taral on the other side of the barricade.

Battle, Valorous Smite (Encounter = 2 Enemies)
Preferably targeting any magic/ranged users first.

Tukka
2013-02-13, 11:08 PM
Aeric, Tintau, Leif and the air elemental battle on, while Taral and Saradoc sow discord and uncertainty among the oncoming attackers with their combination of threats and trickery.

The attacking constables not only manage to bring down many foes, including several patrolman, a soldier, an investigator and a wizard, but they also lend hard credibility to Taral's threats, as does Saradoc's arcane deception. The enemies mill about ineffectively -- a few arrows are loosed at the lighthouse, and the constables on the sea wall are attacked now and then, but the enemies are uncoordinated and ineffective.

The best the rebels are able to accomplish over the course of the minute is to nearly destroy the barricade on the Sea Wall, which rumbles ominously with each strike. An unfortunate brute finally triggers Tintau's trap and knocks him to the ground; he doesn't get up.

Aurora manages to patch some of the damage to the barricade, but it's still in poor shape. The rebels will probably make short work of it soon.

A fierce-eyed, fiery haired female commander shouts, "Come on you dogs, pay no heed to their infernal trickery! Form up and attack, or I'll feed the lot of you to the Duchess's ghost wolves!". She seems to be making some progress in restoring discipline to the crowd.

The lights of the approach fleet grow brighter; constables in the lighthouse can estimate its arrival time -- about 4 minutes. It looks like the next wave of massing, approaching rebels arrive slightly sooner than that.

The next wave of enemies will arrive on round 9. The fleet will arrive on round 10.

Remember that you guys can use healing powers/Second Wind as essentially no action.

It may be possible to continue to stall them, but it's going to get more difficult, especially if you continue to rely on trickery (Bluff).

Round 6 action summary

Air elemental: Battle, kills 1 group of patrolmen (Sea Wall)
Aeric: Battle/Snipe, kills 1 group of patrolmen (Inside Lighthouse)
Aurora: Assemble Barricade, adds 1 point of barricade (Outside Lighthouse)
Leif: Battle/encounter power, kills 1 wizard and 1 investigator (Outside Lighthouse)
Saradoc: Aid another on Taral's Stall check -- success (Inside Lighthouse)
Taral: Stall -- success (Sea Wall)
Tintau: Battle, kills 1 soldier (Inside Lighthouse)
Tintau's Ward kills 1 brute

The enemies manage 4 points of damage to the Outside Lighthouse barricade but for the most part waste their actions in confusion and indecision.

Round 7 action queue

Aeric:
Aurora: Battle, at-will (Sea Wall)
Leif: Battle, at-will + Lay Hands (Sea Wall)
Saradoc: Stall, Diplomacy check: 26 (Sea Wall)
Taral: Battle, Daily (Stirring Shout) (Sea Wall)
Tintau: Battle, at-will (Outside Lighthouse)

mullensmd
2013-02-14, 10:34 PM
Aurora abandons the work of strengthening the barracade and charges forward to Pounce the front lines .

Attack roll for Pounce:[roll0]

[/b]If'n it hits:[/b] [roll1]

atomiclemming
2013-02-14, 10:55 PM
Tintau smiles a little as the trap unleashes a sonic blast taking out an attacker. He looks at the current group and the ones seemingly right behind it.
Need to get a little closer.. dont want to but need to.. can still move back yes.
He moves to the outer lighthouse area and concentrates causing his turret to ratchet and hum as a glowing metalish bolt loads and fires into the group at the barricade.
He calls out to his companions
a few more minutes all we need.. hopefully we broke the gate enough. fall back if we need to easier to defend

Rannoch
2013-02-15, 01:58 PM
Leif

Leif's hands glow with divine light as her bruises fade and wounds close.

"Let us defeat this group before retreating!" Leif yells, striking out with her sword.

Lay on Hands, self
Battle, at-will
Targeting caster>ranged>melee preferably.

Frothingslosh
2013-02-15, 04:05 PM
Saradoc will continue to sow dischord and confusion among the enemy.

We know the Duchess and her minions can be persuasive, but they show their true colors! Fight or you will be killed!?! That is no leader. That is a tyrant and traitor afraid of being caught for her crimes! Stop now and Rushed and the RHC will recognize your wisdom. You don't need to anything but stop. We won't ask or demand that you fight and kill your countrymen. Put down your arms and we will be merciful. The fleet's arrival is nigh, and it will not be stopped. Make the wise choice.

[roll0]

Tegu8788
2013-02-15, 11:20 PM
Taral Kasha

A fierce-eyed, fiery haired female commander shouts, "Come on you dogs, pay no heed to their infernal trickery! Form up and attack, or I'll feed the lot of you to the Duchess's ghost wolves!". She seems to be making some progress in restoring discipline to the crowd.

Lifting his blade so the hilt touches his temple, he taps it against the base of his horns and laughs at the woman. "You think I'm that simple to ignore. You see boys, another superior that wants you to die in her place. Well, I'll do you a favor. Do as these lads suggest, and I'll spare you. A show of faith, I'll take out your leader for you!"

Swinging his blade down and forward with a flourish, he points the razor tipped point directly at the commander, and mutters the simple word.
"DIE!"

Use Stirring Shout to kill her, and the closest two that were inspired by her speech. De-motivation is the key to warfare.

Tukka
2013-02-19, 05:39 PM
Saradoc persuasively implores the attackers to stand down. The rebels seem reluctant to lay down their arms while they are under attack, but enough of them listen that those who do put up a fight are still uncoordinated and look primarily to their own defense.

A wizard at the rear of the attackers manages to batter the outer barricade to scrap with a barrage of daggers surrounded by tiny whirlwinds, but air elemental bursts into sight beside her and gives her a taste of her own medicine, ultimately laying her low.

The other attackers are unable to get past Taral and Leif to take advantage of the breach in their defenses. Taral's rousing shout causes his nearby enemies to quail, and Leif restores some her vitality with glowing hands. The two set to work driving back and putting down their foes.

Taral pierces the heart of the female commander, and lands the killing blow on a few patrolmen and a soldier besides. Leif strikes down a shillelagh-wielding investigator.

Aurora transforms into a cat and leaps over the shattered remains of the barricade to pounce on the nearest shoulder, and then continues to dart around him, biting and mauling until he falls. Tintau's turret relentlessly fires from the lighthouse window, striking down the remaining investigator. Aeric finishes off the last soldier with gunfire.

The next wave of enemies will arrive on round 9; it's a big one. The fleet will arrive on round 10.

Round 7 action summary

Air elemental: Battle, at-will, kills 1 wizard (Sea Wall)
Aeric: Battle/Snipe at-will, kills 1 soldier (Inside Lighthouse)
Aurora: Battle, at-will, kills 1 soldier (Sea Wall)
Leif: Battle, at-will, kills 1 investigator (Sea Wall)
Saradoc: Stall, Diplomacy check: 26 -- success (Inside Lighthouse)
Taral: Battle, daily, kills 2 soldiers + 1 group of patrolmen (Sea Wall)
Tintau: Battle, at will, kills 1 investigator (Inside Lighthouse)

The enemies were again ineffective this round (the Diplomacy DC for Saradoc's check was 22, btw) apart from destroying the Outer Lighthouse barricade.

Round 8 action queue

Aeric: Assemble Barricade, Athletics check: 5 (Inside Lighthouse)
Aurora: Assemble Barricade, Athletics check: 4 (Outside Lighthouse)
Leif: Assemble Barricade, Athletics check: 14 (Outside Lighthouse)
Saradoc: Set Ward, Arcana check: 23 (Outside Lighthouse)
Taral: Set Ward(?), Arcana check: 14 (Sea Wall)
Tintau: Set Ward, Arcana check: 15 (Inside Lighthouse)

Frothingslosh
2013-02-19, 05:46 PM
Taking advantage of the brief respite, Saradoc reinforces his magical wards outside the lighthouse (and retreating back in if I can).

[roll0]

Falconknight06
2013-02-19, 07:03 PM
Aeric will say a brief prayer for those who have been slain, as he begins fortifying the barrier inside the lighthouse (if it matters, the barrier closest to the gate controls) then he quickly reloads his pistols in preparation for another push by the enemy.

Athletics
[roll0]

atomiclemming
2013-02-19, 10:06 PM
Tintau looks pleased at the irony on the wind user getting felled by wind.
The forces are almost here.. just need to slow them down a little longer. Soon very soon
He scribes a few words on the barricade using his thundering armor power to enforce it further.

[roll0]

everyone fall back into the lighthouse. lets hold it for a bit longer

Rannoch
2013-02-20, 12:59 AM
Leif

Leif looks forlornly at the pieces of her shattered barricade.
Then, squaring her shoulders, she begins rebuilding.

"We should be able to hold them until the fleet gets here. Tintau, I plan to use my ranged ability* to knock out some of their casting support before retreating inside the lighthouse... I'd rather not be stuck inside a tower with lightning clouds."

Build Barricade in outer lighthouse area (yellow)
[roll0]

*Radiant Delirium if anyone wondered

mullensmd
2013-02-20, 10:35 PM
At first Aurora settles down to clean her paws of blood, but seeing Leif return to rebuilding the barricade she gets up, shifts back and begins to help quietly.

Tegu8788
2013-02-20, 11:30 PM
Taral Kasha

Shaking his head, the scarred Tiefling stands firm. "We hold this line. Retreat as the last option, but we can't afford to let them make any further headway. We hold this line, until reinforcements arrive." With that, he lifts his shoulders then taking a knee, slams his fist into the ground. A loud clap can be heard, but those that look carefully would notice a small fizzle between his knuckles and the ground.

Arcana [roll0]

Something tells me that's a no go. So much for inspirational talks.
Fully planning to use Majestic Word on self if he takes +12 damage as a free action.

Tukka
2013-02-21, 04:32 AM
The constables make their final fortifications. Those in the lighthouse my spare a glance out the window to see the fleet drawing very close now, sailing towards the greeting arms of the open sea gate, but the approaching rebel forces is nearer still. They quicken their pace and charge forward headlong, desperate to prevent at least a fraction of the entering the fortress harbor.

20 enemies arrive; the vanguard of the fleet will arrive next round.

Round 8 action summary

Aeric: Assemble Barricade, Athletics check: 5 - added 1 point of barricade (Inside Lighthouse)
Aurora: Assemble Barricade, Athletics check: 4 - added 1 point of barricade (Outside Lighthouse)
Leif: Assemble Barricade, Athletics check: 14 - added 1 point of barricade (Outside Lighthouse)
Saradoc: Set Ward, Arcana check: 23 - success (Outside Lighthouse)
Taral: Set Ward(?), Arcana check: 14 - failure (Sea Wall)
Tintau: Set Ward, Arcana check: 15 - failure (Inside Lighthouse)

Round 9 action queue

Aeric: Battle/Snipe (success), at-will (Inside Lighthouse)
Aurora: Battle, at-will (Outside Lighthouse)
Leif: Battle, Daily (Outside Lighthouse)
Saradoc: Battle, at-will (Inside Lighthouse)
Taral: Battle, encounter (Sea Wall)
Tintau: Battle, encounter (Outside Lighthouse)

Falconknight06
2013-02-21, 04:09 PM
Aeric finishes his quick barricade, and makes his way to his sniping position. He says one more quick prayer and takes aim, shooting another group of soldiers, trying to incapacitate if possible. He is sick of killing those he was supposed to be working with.

Another at-will attack since all of my encounters require them to be within ten squares of me.

Stealth to snipe
[roll0]

Tegu8788
2013-02-21, 05:23 PM
Taral Kasha

Also tired of fighting through those he had hoped to one with, he drops any further attempts at charades to turn his foes back, instead concentrating on the minds of the oncoming assault force. Reaching out with his thoughts, he finds the frenzied minds of those with knowledge of the arcane arts. Taking the form of a feathered serpent, he projects that vicious creature towards them, devouring them with his mental onslaught, leaving nothing but bodies to fall to the floor.

Drawing the serpents wings together, he quickly sweeps his powerful limbs open, feathers flying in every direction, smacking the brains of everyone on the vessel. Blinking, feather shaped spots area in the vision of those that remain. Anyone that tries to look at Taral will find those dark feathers increase in place of the armored Tiefling. Hidden, he takes a deep breath, and whispers to himself. "And so, this ends."

Use Mind Shadows, encounter power to kill 2 casters as soon as they are in range, ideally while still on the boat. Then use Hidden Lore to become invisible until the end of the next turn, while staying in place. Prepared to use Majestic Word on self if he takes 10 damage, and will slide back behind the barricades.

Also, I am taking some liberties describing what's happening, because I know I'm going to hit in this encounter. I will not normally describe actions like this.

atomiclemming
2013-02-21, 09:21 PM
Tintau
Tintau shakes his head as the others stand their ground. He sighs heavily
"can't let them die, need to stay alive a bit longer. The fleet will be here soon"
Tintau nods at the air elemental sending it to harrass and attack another target and moves back to the outer lighthouse area and rummages in his bag looking for something
"Aha , yes this is just what I was looking for."
He pulls out a small metal cage made of thin iron weave. It seems rather fragile but doesnt seem to have trouble holding its shape. Tintau concentrates and chants while striking the object with a piece of flint rock. A spark catches and arcs along the cage walls. The spark fades quickly but the cube starts to hum and vibrate in Tintau's palm.
He waits until the first wave gets close and throws it into the group. As it hits the ground the cube explodes and a wave of force radiates from hit blasting the soldiers.

Shielding Cube

Rannoch
2013-02-21, 09:40 PM
Leif

Leif's sword glows with divine power as she points it at the oncoming force.
"Be filled with the light of my god!"

Ranged attack using Radiant Delirium (daily, 3 targets) from the yellow area into the blue area.

Targeting Leaders>Casters>Ranged>Rest preferably.

mullensmd
2013-02-23, 06:22 PM
Aurora shifts once more, becoming a panther darker than night and melting into the shadows to await her hopefully unsuspecting prey.

Stealth roll: [roll0]

Frothingslosh
2013-02-23, 07:26 PM
Believing that continued discussion may be ineffective, Saradoc unleashes his cloud of shadows into the oncoming horde.

Fascinating Shadows At-Will

Tukka
2013-02-26, 03:41 AM
The battle continues.

Aeric lays down cover fire for the other constables and manages to incapacitate a few rebel patrolmen over the course of the battle. Saradoc similarly wears down the attackers with waves of confounding shadows.

Taral makes his stand on the Sea Wall, haunting two nearby wizards with a shadowy assault; one of them conjures a small thundercloud above Taral's head. A brute charges in and gives him a good smack with his warhammer, while a few patrolmen hang back and needle him with arrow shots. Taral takes a breath and heals himself with a word, but suffers a few shocks from the wizard's thundercloud.

The air elemental harries a brute until it falls, but also suffers some damage, by the glaives of two of the soldiers at the vanguard.

Taral and the air elemental manage to extricate themselves from the melee and disappear from sight almost simultaneously, aided in part by the distraction and protection provided the forceful impact of Tintau's Shielding Cube, which finishes off one of the soldiers and scatters a group of patrolmen to boot.

When Taral and the air elemental do not reappear, the enemies quickly rush forward to attack the barricade, but are given pause by the fierce radiance that suddenly emanates from Leif's longsword. The two remaining rebel investigators stagger to their knees and pass out, but the onslaught continues.

A group of patrolmen lead by a brute reach the barricades and batter it to pieces, then press forward. The first brute is caught unawares by Aurora, who pins him to the ground and mauls and rakes him with her claws.

An intense melee unfolds just outside the lighthouse. Aurora, Leif and Tintau clash with the remaining attacks, using the wards placed by Saradoc and Taral earlier to their advantage. A wintery blast from the maw of a dead fey drake finishes one brute, and a roiling mass of shadows claims several more.

The three constables outside the lighthouse take some injuries in the melee as well, but manage to stay on their feet, and are heartened by the appearance of the vanguard of the Risuri fleet sailing through the open sea gate.

A pair of cutters angle towards the lighthouse. On their decks are riflemen and wizards who send the remaining attackers ducking for cover with gunfire and volleys of magic missiles. Soon those few rebels still left standing throw down their arms and surrender.

Several more ships sail into the harbor, most of them making for the harbor walls, loosing a rain of arrows on the rebel forces. A trio of ships surrounds and overwhelms a caraval, the sole ship the Duchess had patrolling the harbor.

One of the cutters who had come to the constables' aid docks nearby. A stocky middle-aged man disembarks after several soldiers and medics and identifies himself as Captain Peters of the R.N.S. Reliant. He seems a bit confused as he surveys the constables, but after spotting Saradoc and Aurora (if she returns to her humanoid form) he continues.

"Well done, constables. Sit a spell and let my medics have a look at you while my boys corral these rebels.

The Impossible was at the spearpoint of the assault, you might have noticed. Captain Smith will want to debrief you and plan the next stage of the assault. He should be here by the time we get you all patched up, in about a half hour or so."

Several Risuri ships dock near the gates of the harbor. The Duchess's forces have closed the gates, but with Risuri forces are already constructing siege towers, and have the benefit of being able to place forces on the sea wall to boot. It's hard to tell from this distance, but the battle seems to be going well so far.

I decided to let enemies you killed this round not take actions and cut the encounter short a round (you were supposed to have to hold out until the end of round 10) because 1) I was late in posting this update, 2) I didn't want to drag this encounter out any longer, and 3) there was no way the enemies were going to be able to take the lighthouse and undo your sabotage in time no matter how the combat went.

Below is the action summary for round 9. Damage you guys took is bolded.

24 enemies.
1 patrolman KO'd by Aeric
1 brute attacks Taral (6 damage)
1 patrolman attacks Taral (6 damage)
1 wizard dead from Taral (6 damage)
1 investigator dead from Taral
1 wizard attacks Taral (6 damage)
1 soldier attacks the air elemental (6 damage)
1 soldier attacks the air elemental (6 damage) -- the elemental is bloodied
1 soldier killed by Tintau
1 patrolman killed by Tintau
1 soldier killled by Leif
1 soldier killed by Leif
1 brute attacks barricade
1 patrolman attacks barricade
1 brute killed by Saradoc
1 brute killed by Aurora
1 brute killed by Taral's trap
1 brute killed by Saradoc's trap
1 patrolman killed by Saradoc's trap
The 5 remaining enemies attack Leif 3 times for a total of 18 damage, and Aurora and Tintau once each for 6 damage.

Everyone recovers hp as if they had spent one healing surge (without having to spend a healing surge) from the medics' attentions. You can also take as many short rests as you want now to efficiently heal the rest of your hp.

I'm going to update my last post in the OOC thread now, and I'll probably make another post tomorrow.

Falconknight06
2013-02-26, 04:21 PM
Aeric exits the lighthouse with a defeated smile on his face. The toll of killing those he thought his allies weighing heavily on the constable more used to working on busting drug rings and such. He wasn't a soldier, and his thoughts flashed back to stories he heard from his parents about the war. But they had done their first job well, and as he was being patched up, he says to Captain Peters, I have a feeling that many of these guards were being mislead by the duchess, and we tried to leave some alive. It might be prudent to insure their survival and find out what they know and where there true allegiance lies Aeric takes a breath, not knowing how long he had been holding it, and then asks also, would any of you happen to have some spare ammunition? I'm running a bit low, especially if we are to continue fighting

I'm down to ten bullets left, as I only brought twenty. I still have 37 shurikens though.

Tukka
2013-02-26, 05:09 PM
"Don't worry yourself on that score -- we'll keep them alive, if for no other reason to root out any traitors still remaining on the mainland. I expect most of them are loyal to their commanders or the Duchess, or else they'd stop fighting, but we'll have to see.

As for your bullets, Seaman Lildon will see to your needs."

A sailor nods and returns to the Reliant with any basic supplies the party requests that might be aboard a small warship, including some ammunition for Aeric. He has you sign for the goods so the RHC can remunerate the Navy later. (This is like requisitioning goods from the RHC -- you'll have pay for it later, so you can just take the gold off your character sheet now.)

After the medics have finished taking care of the party, they start to move among the unconscious and wounded enemy soldiers, surveying the condition of each and beginning treatment on those who are worst off.

A while later, the RNS Impossible returns from the front lines and Captain Rutger Smith invites the constables on to the ship, but frowns when he notes that Mikal, Ialia and Kintaro don't appear to be present, and looks at Taral, Aeric and Leif appraisingly.

He nods to the constables he does recognize. "A job well done. You're a credit to the RHC, and I'm sure Tanya will rest easier knowing her task did not go unfinished.

But I miss half of your team, and Burton. They are still alive, I hope? And who are these new companions?"

Tegu8788
2013-02-26, 07:28 PM
Taral Kasha

Blood, both his own and from those he'd slain, caked his body by the time reinforcements arrived, Taral nods in appreciation to Captain Peters, allowing his healers to do their duty without hassle. Hearing the talk of the prisoners conditions, he pipes in "I left a high level operative alive inside the tower. Hopefully he will have some useful intel."

Following his colleagues onto Captain Smith's vessel, he steps up to answer the query. "My name is Taral Kasha. I used to be a spy. Until the Duchess ordered myself, Aeric Silverspur, and Leif Haust, to join Firbolg Company in investigating Drakran weapons' factories on this island. Our attached company was slaughtered, and once we uncovered the truth about the Duchess, we have worked with team you are familiar with stop her."

He pointed to his associates in turn, before squaring up to Rutger. "And speaking of stoping her, we need to move out quickly if we have any chance of catching her. Your forces have hassled those that remain loyal to her, but she has almost certainly in with hostile Fey elements, and I think it would be prudent to move forward as quickly as possible."

Turning his eyes back to the center of the island, he plans out several angles of assault on the Duchess's fortress. She had plenty of time to reinforce her stronghold while the team had simply fought to defend the beachhead. This would be hard, but it had to be done.

Having spent 3 of 10 surges (the artificer power was surged based, yes?) and getting the medical attention, Taral is up to 22. Going to waste a point and get all the way back up. Short rest, all encounter powers back. Goodie.

Also, what time of day would it be by now, roughly?

atomiclemming
2013-02-26, 09:13 PM
Back in the cave we came in to the island on.. They should still be alive. We lost many early. there was an explosion under the water. it was all very strange....
We met these others on the mainland, the duchess had sent them in but they didnt know of her treachery on the coaltounge. what a beatuliful ship that was is . Would have spent more time theere so much to see.
So have you found the duchess yet?

atomiclemming
2013-02-26, 09:20 PM
My infusion was a free surge for you. also I still have one in reserve in case we need it. If allowed i will burn another of my surges to create a second infusion

atomiclemming
2013-02-27, 08:32 AM
Tintau moves back into the lighthouse while the party is resting and collapses Tur to put the turret back in his back for later deployment.
actually i don't think I used an infusion since I recharged one I should still have two left.
He debates removing his disguise but decides he is better left an unkown for the moment.

Rannoch
2013-02-27, 02:58 PM
Leif
Limping away from the lighthouse, Leif sticks with Taral while he talks to Captain Smith. With the loss of her companions and the slaughter in the lighthouse, Leif doesn't feel like talking but provides the occasional nod to backup Taral as he explains their presence on the island.

Per our DM:
History - [roll0]
Arcana - [roll1]

Tukka
2013-02-27, 09:18 PM
Leif looks concerned when Tintau mentions the Burton and the other lost constables.

Captain Smith says, "I'm pleased to make your acquaintance," after being introduced to the new constables.

He produces a small box from his coat, and offers everyone a cigar.

"Of course, you are correct to stay focused -- don't smoke them until the mission is over.

I understand your desire for speed, and you are correct to be wary of the Duchess's fey sorcery and allies. It's possible she has already escaped.

Still, I would advise a measure of patience, unless you have a plan that demands haste.

The rebels have us bottled up in the harbor for now, but the battle is going well. Major Stockham says we should break their defenses soon, and have control of the outer fortress within an hour.

I would not advise you to join the direct assault -- most of you are not soldiers, however skilled you may be in a fight, and a half dozen extra men will not make a difference on the line."

Then Leif asks after the other constables that were lost earlier -- Burton, whose leg was crippled, and Kintaro, who was knocked unconscious, both of whom are at the bottom of a mine, left under the care of a Danoran mining foreman. She asks if they've been recovered or seen to since.

"Unfortunately no," responds Rutger Smith. "We didn't have any scrolls of Water Breathing on board, and I had orders to join the main fleet, so we could not linger long. It has been troubling me, though. It sounds like they could both use the attention of a ritual healer, and I'd like have as many of our people as possible assembled and ready to depart by the time we hand over control of the island to the Danorans."

Leif proposes that a ship be dispatched to recover the other constables, and volunteers to go along -- this mission is technically not hers, and she feels her honor as a paladin demands that she see to the well-being of her brother-constables first. Captain Smith agrees to use of the Impossible for the task, since his crew is ship and crew are now of little value in the battle.

Tegu8788
2013-02-28, 03:40 PM
Taral Kasha

Slipping the cigar into a bandolier pocket quickly, he nods when Leif declares her interest in heading off on a rescue mission. "We may have only worked together for a short time, but I know you're the woman for the job Go rescue them, all-speed."

Turning back to Captain Smith. "I don't know what your experience with the Fey is, but your assault will do nothing if she is able to teleport away. I believe we have access to several rituals that may allow us to bypass much of the battle. Your men are needed to capture the fortress in time for the handover, but we need to capture the Duchess today. Who knows what havoc she can wreak if she manages to escape."

atomiclemming
2013-02-28, 04:55 PM
Tintau

Tintau sniffs at the cigar and nods before putting it in his bag and forgetting about.
He shrugs "Yes they probably do need help down there. Make sure you have strong men for the job otherwise they aren't getting in.. alot of rocks. Take care of Nicolas.. I think he is trustworthy. He could have hurt us but didn't."
Tintau tilts his head slightly , "We do have some scrolls left from our mission, it would be nice to catch the duchess. She seems like she would be a troublesome thread to leave hanging."
"need to contain her before she can do more harm"
Tintau adds as an afterthought
"Thank you for the cigar"

mullensmd
2013-03-01, 07:27 PM
Aurora looks up from where she'd been licking her wounds- literally and figuratively speaking.

"My new friend is correct. They will hold your attacks off for just long enough to spiirit the Duchess away. But perhaps your frontal assault might allow a small team to slip by unnoticed and stop her leaving?"

She stands with a long stretch, almost seeming to purr now that she is healed.

Falconknight06
2013-03-01, 11:43 PM
Aeric seems quiet as everyone talks of the fey. He feels as if his heritage is a liability right now, but he says in truth, if she wanted to teleport away, she would have done it already. Not a lot seems able to stop teleportation other than those gold hoops. Also Aeric takes a deep breath before saying shouldn't we try to capture her alive to find out why she is doing this. I have a hard time believing she is doing this for the sake of being evil. Perhaps she truly believes the kingdom is being threatened? If so, maybe she can be convinced of our side and brought back to the side of right. I'm not sure though... he finishes, trailing off a bit, realizing how borderline treasonous these sentiments likely sound.

Tukka
2013-03-02, 09:54 AM
"The walls of the fort and keep are lined with gold -- normally to keep attackers out, but hopefully they'll serve to keep Ethelyn in. We are using ritual magic in our assault, where we can but it's possible you may be ab--"

Captain Smith is interrupted by the sound of gunfire and screams of panic from the water behind him, some distance from the front lines. It seems to be coming from a ship a few hundred feet from your current location. A few flashes of fire light up the night, then a massive ball of flame engulfs the ship.

You can faintly make out a humanoid figure striding across the burning deck. He points a flaming sword and sweeps it in an arc towards the sea wall opposite of you. All of the gas lights along it shatter and go dark.

Then the figure is suddenly surrounded in a cloud of smoke. A couple seconds later, the smoke dissipates, and him along with it.

"What the... I don't know what that was, but I think it bears investigation. But be careful, whoever or whatever that thing is, it seems powerful."

Arcana check 12+ (Leif, Saradoc, Taral)
You're able to tell the fires are magic, and the magic is fey in origin.

Arcana check 19+ (Saradoc, Taral)
The lingering flames resembles the fingers of an open hand -- a trademark of Vekeshi magic. You think that spellcaster was probably an eladrin.

Tegu8788
2013-03-02, 09:43 PM
Taral Kasha

Shouldn't we try to capture her alive to find out why she is doing this. I have a hard time believing she is doing this for the sake of being evil. Perhaps she truly believes the kingdom is being threatened? If so, maybe she can be convinced of our side and brought back to the side of right. I'm not sure though...

Seeing the concern in the Half-Elf's eyes, Taral speaks quickly to him. "Don't be naive, even if that was true, do you really think she'd have a home anymore? Whether she is captured and tried for her crimes or welcomed back, she will spend the rest of her life in jail."

"The walls of the fort and keep are lined with gold -- normally to keep attackers out, but hopefully they'll serve to keep Ethelyn in. We are using ritual magic in our assault, where we can but it's possible you may be ab--"

Captain Smith is interrupted by the sound of gunfire and screams of panic from the water behind him, some distance from the front lines. It seems to be coming from a ship a few hundred feet from your current location. A few flashes of fire light up the night, then a massive ball of flame engulfs the ship.

You can faintly make out a humanoid figure striding across the burning deck. He points a flaming sword and sweeps it in an arc towards the sea wall opposite of you. All of the gas lights along it shatter and go dark.

Then the figure is suddenly surrounded in a cloud of smoke. A couple seconds later, the smoke dissipates, and him along with it.

"What the... I don't know what that was, but I think it bears investigation. But be careful, whoever or whatever that thing is, it seems powerful."

Nodding in rhythm with the rise and fall of the deck beneath him, floating on the light tide. He looks like he is about to respond, when he too sees the the fiery assault at sea. "The gold may work to keep her inside, but it does nothing to stop her warriors from attacking us out here. I have dealt with similar before, Fey warrior-mages. I have dueled with them, they are mighty and tricky, but I have never fought one head on."

"We need to be cautious, but fast. They can move quite quickly, and we need to catch that Vekeshi as quickly as possible. Perhaps we can even find a hidden way into the stronghold. Captain Smith, you mentioned Ritual Magic, do you have anything that can help us move quickly to catch him?"

atomiclemming
2013-03-06, 09:13 AM
Tintau
Well that is disturbing.. The duchess has some powerful friends. why would she be in allegiance with the fey.. but she must. She had an eladrin woman who helped her sabotage the Coaltounge and try to commit regicide.. could be related to the planar shifts.. tears in reality.. dont think I am going crazy yet..
Tintau trails off realizing he is rambling a bit and regains his composure.
We still have some passwall scrolls left, maybe we could short cut , just wish I knew where the duchess was. would imagine we can find the fire wielder by the smoke and smell. he isn't very stealthy.

mullensmd
2013-03-06, 02:05 PM
Aurora growls at the half-elf.

"After all that that bitch has done- after all that has happened to ourselves and our comrades you would show mercy to her? Personally I will not rest until I feel her throat in my jaws and bathe in the blood of her dying gasps!"

She finds she has taken a step toward him and stops, closing her eyes and forcing herself to turn away- to not look until she was looking up at the stars. She then sighs.

"There is no time for guidance, and I am not trained as a Huntress among my people. But where training and skill fail instinct can carry though. Our fiery friend's goal is clear- he aims to rescue the damsel in distress from her tower. We will be hard pressed to catch him, so I suggest we don't. We aim for the prize, and deal with him if we guess our path better than he does."

She then glances back and smiles at them- especially Aeric. "But then, you don't need a Huntress' skil to know that!

Falconknight06
2013-03-06, 02:59 PM
Aeric looks at his feet, clearly wishing he could become invisible. He will then steel himself saying of course, she needs to be taken out. I apologize.

mullensmd
2013-03-07, 03:20 AM
Seeing Aeric's reaction Aurora's smile fails/ She turns and comes over to him, touhing his arm gently as she shakes her head.

"No, I am sorry. I understand your reluctance to do this thing, needed or no. As long as you remember that it is needed and do not interfere when the time comes, we will be fine."

Tegu8788
2013-03-11, 10:09 PM
Taral Kasha

"I'm glad we have this resolved. Now, can we get to the part where we actually catch her?" Growing impatient with the delay, he looks out over the water again, trying to spy any lingering trace of the fey flames.

Perception [roll0]

Frothingslosh
2013-03-11, 11:30 PM
With a gleeful look in his eye, Saradoc turns to the rest.

We are in agreement. The time for talk has passed. We can question the duchess' body after we are through. Let us take our opportunity and the distraction of the fleet to find her. They will not be expecting us to be able to slip through their walls, literally. We must make haste.