PDA

View Full Version : Dice Bags

evil-frosty
2012-12-04, 01:34 AM
So I am looking for a new dice bag, mainly cause the one I have is nearly full and is uninspiring and I do not like it overly much. So I was wondering what the Playgrounders use to store and transport their dice. I have a lot of dice(never bothered to count) so if you link something please keep that in mind. So what does the playground use?

Anderlith
2012-12-04, 01:42 AM
Crown Royal, Black.
Some other stuff I've used, a pencil case had holes to easily fit into my binder, the plastic case they came in, wooden box/chestthing, & a plastic bag... you have to start somewhere.
I've seen I people using a chainmail bag, tupperware, & pants pockets

evil-frosty
2012-12-04, 02:21 AM
Crown Royal, Black.

I am almost over flowing a crown royal bag, maybe 5 or 6 sets more will do it, and I just find it uninspiring and also 4 other people in my gaming group have the same thing.

Kadzar
2012-12-04, 02:56 AM
I have a bag that's in the same basic style as a Crown Royal bag, but homemade for me by my sister so I could carry my stuff while in costume at ren faire. If you're looking for something special you can probably find something like that by searching Etsy or whatever for "dice bag" or "drawstring pouch" since there are a lot of talented people out there who just like making stuff and would be glad to sell you something cool.

huttj509
2012-12-04, 03:38 AM
I have an old Dragon Dice bag (stuffed to bursting).

I also use the Mistborn dicebag I got with the set purchase. sadly was only available at Gencon.

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/550985_10150997781336379_689945165_n.jpg

A couple of my college friends were getting married 8 years ago. Their rule for the college group was "no conventionally useful gifts." I got them matching His and Hers dicebags. I think it's the only gift I've gotten someone where I actually thought "that's a good one" as opposed to phoning it in desperately due to lack of inspiration.

Socratov
2012-12-04, 06:13 AM
Why don't you buy some old piece of leather and make your own? I mean, it shouldn't be hard to get a piece of leather and sew it together (could work equally for cloth, but leather is so infinitely cooler and protects better). I usually take some kind of bag with me continaing my few dice, ecxept for 6 d6's I have: they are carried in a silver case with my name and 18th birthday on it. (a present for my 18th birtday :smallamused:)

Kadzar
2012-12-04, 06:55 AM
Sewing leather is actually quite a bit harder than sewing cloth. I'm pretty sure even for the thinner stuff you're going to want one of those special hole-punchers made for leather. Even if you don't need a hole-punch, you'll probably need to hand-sew the thing, which could take some time, the amount depending on how big you want the gaps between the stitching to be.

Socratov
2012-12-04, 06:56 AM
Sewing leather is actually quite a bit harder than sewing cloth. I'm pretty sure even for the thinner stuff you're going to want one of those special hole-punchers made for leather. Even if you don't need a hole-punch, you'll probably need to hand-sew the thing, which could take some time, the amount depending on how big you want the gaps between the stitching to be.

but it would be ane awesome dicebag :smallamused: (just like the chainmail one)

Asheram
2012-12-04, 09:09 AM
How about making one? My mom made one for me when I was younger and it've stuck with me for about 8 years. I'm pondering about making a new one as my old is overflowing.

CarpeGuitarrem
2012-12-04, 10:44 AM
Dragon Chow Dice Bags (http://www.dragonchow.com/zencart/), they have all sorts of awesome, cool designs. (Standard size is merely 4" x 5" though...they have double-tall bags, though, that's the "pencil strap" size.)

Suffice it to say, the selection is great. I bought my friend this (http://www.dragonchow.com/zencart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=12_18&products_id=503), as a "gamer's first dice bag" present. She was thrilled.

Jay R
2012-12-04, 11:16 AM
Look at this (http://www.evilmadscientist.com/2009/d20-handbag-of-holding-how-to-build-it/)one.

Ravens_cry
2012-12-04, 11:21 AM
I don't use a dice bag, I find they get loose over time. Instead, I use a cookie tin. It also makes a convenient roll surface if you are prone to exploding dice all over the place.

Greylond
2012-12-04, 11:30 AM
My wife makes our dice bags. I like hers better than anything that I've found in stores. She makes them large to hold lots of dice, big enough to put your whole hand in and still have lots of room. She lines them and uses a good quality outer layer so that they don't wear out or get holes very quickly. She sold a few of them on commission at a local game store a couple of years ago. I need to see if I can convince her to start making them again...

Anderlith
2012-12-04, 12:36 PM
If you decide to work with leather, you don't need a specially made hole punch. Just use a small chisel or a nail

evil-frosty
2012-12-04, 01:44 PM
I do not think I have the skill or the determination to make my own and personally I cannot see it going well. This one guy in the group I found on my college campus has one he got from GenCon which is awesome. It is like a medieval drawstring pouch except it had a leather 'belt' that went over the top and had a snapping locking mechanism on the belt which would snap onto a 'button' on the bag and then you twist something on the belt and it locked. Also I think it is slightly wider than a normal medieval pouch and it sort of tapers up to the opening slightly.

dethkruzer
2012-12-04, 03:19 PM
I've made it something of a tradition that every year I go to a certain convention, which Is once a year, I buy one dice bag, and at least one set of dice to go with it. most of them are hand-crafter from cloth, although I have one which I assume is vinyl, as it looks and feels like leather, but is really thin and pliable.

The Dark Fiddler
2012-12-04, 03:37 PM
There's this girl whose work I really enjoy, named Esh-Esh. You can find the dicebag section of her Etsy shop here (http://www.etsy.com/shop/RawringPlushies?section_id=11432744), but I'd recommend checking her other stuff to. It's all pretty cool, and she takes custom requests. Not only that, but I first discovered her work because she was holding a raffle on 4chan's /tg/ board, giving away a dice bag for free, and that's something she does about once a month. Pretty cool girl, all in all.

Dr.Epic
2012-12-04, 11:07 PM
I'm making a dice bag out of chainmail.

Because why not.

Seerow
2012-12-04, 11:17 PM
I'm making a dice bag out of chainmail.

Because why not.

My friend took up chain mail making a while back, made dice bags for the whole group out of different weaves/ring sizes. Everyone has chain bags that are visually distinct, it's really nice.

TheThan
2012-12-04, 11:45 PM
You’ve Gotta get yourself a skull bag.

You know you want to.

NX_Phoenix
2012-12-04, 11:54 PM
I use the leather pouch that came with an old pair of Koss headphones I had. I'm walking death to stuff I take with me and it's still standing, although my dice collection has expanded to the point where it can take little more. Even if my collection gets too big I will likely cut back on dice instead of casting aside my leather Koss pouch.

However, an Eclipse Phase patterned tall pencil strap dice bag from Dragon Chow would be very nice and if it wasn't sold out my wife would have gotten the previously mentioned Police Box dice bag for Christmas.

evil-frosty
2012-12-05, 04:33 PM
There's this girl whose work I really enjoy, named Esh-Esh. You can find the dicebag section of her Etsy shop here (http://www.etsy.com/shop/RawringPlushies?section_id=11432744), but I'd recommend checking her other stuff to. It's all pretty cool, and she takes custom requests. Not only that, but I first discovered her work because she was holding a raffle on 4chan's /tg/ board, giving away a dice bag for free, and that's something she does about once a month. Pretty cool girl, all in all.

That wizard bag is awesome, but it is a bit expensive at about 40 USD :smallfrown::smallsigh:

White_Drake
2012-12-05, 04:51 PM
Don't have one myself, but I heard segmented cigar boxes (the old wood ones) are fantastic. You can but a different dX in each column.

The Dark Fiddler
2012-12-05, 06:19 PM
That wizard bag is awesome, but it is a bit expensive at about 40 USD :smallfrown::smallsigh:

A bit expensive, yeah... that's the only thing that's kept me from buying one, to be honest. Still, they're awesome, as are the other things she makes.

Lord Il Palazzo
2012-12-05, 06:47 PM
Look at this (http://www.evilmadscientist.com/2009/d20-handbag-of-holding-how-to-build-it/)one.[Insert obligatory "Yo dawg" joke here]

I use a Magic the Gathering fat pack box to hold my dice and assorted other gaming stuff. It helps that my group plays at my house so I can just grab the box off the shelf and have everything I need. If I had to travel more to play, I would probably find myself a bag of some sort. Most of my players keep their dice in the clear plastic Chessex boxes they came in. On guy who always has a ton of D6s uses some kind of repurposed plastic jar and another with multiple Chessex boxes and a few loose dice besides uses a small wooden box.

Edit: A quick Googling found this bag (http://rob-donoghue.livejournal.com/290577.html). If I had enough dice that they wouldn't look pathetic in it, I would absolutely buy one.

Dr.Epic
2012-12-05, 07:10 PM
Look at this (http://www.evilmadscientist.com/2009/d20-handbag-of-holding-how-to-build-it/)one.

Make it a d100 and I'd be impressed.:smallwink:

Hylas
2012-12-05, 08:09 PM
I knitted one using this pattern. (http://fluidmotion.blogspot.com/2012/04/knitting-dice-bags.html)

Rizban
2012-12-06, 11:45 AM
Dragon Chow Dice Bags (http://www.dragonchow.com/zencart/), they have all sorts of awesome, cool designs. (Standard size is merely 4" x 5" though...they have double-tall bags, though, that's the "pencil strap" size.)

Suffice it to say, the selection is great. I bought my friend this (http://www.dragonchow.com/zencart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=12_18&products_id=503), as a "gamer's first dice bag" present. She was thrilled.

My friend bought the Bag of Devouring one when they were in stock. It's pretty nice, if a bit small for his collection.

Melayl
2012-12-09, 09:24 PM
I use a small, flat (4" x 8") fishing lure box. You can divide the compartments up for different d#, and they all stay organized and easily accessible.

Plus, the boxes are really cheap and come in many different sizes.

Andreaz
2012-12-10, 06:07 AM
So...elaborate.
I just use a sackcloth with a string to tie the opening.

PrinceOfMadness
2012-12-10, 01:05 PM
This guy (http://www.etsy.com/shop/greyedout?ref=seller_info) makes some good quality dice bags at very reasonable prices. He's also willing to do custom work. I ordered a custom reversible Imperial Aquila/Chaos Star dice bag from him a couple of months ago, and was very impressed with the quality. I got it during his fall sale for about 20 bucks (the bag is massive, about 14"x12" laid out flat I believe - it's currently holding about 400 dice and isn't yet half full).

Malimar
2012-12-12, 05:53 PM
I keep all the dice I'm likely to need for any given session in a standard Altoids tin. I keep the rest at home in a gallon Ziploc bag.

TheCIASentMe
2012-12-13, 02:54 PM
I am almost over flowing a crown royal bag, maybe 5 or 6 sets more will do it, and I just find it uninspiring and also 4 other people in my gaming group have the same thing.

You do know they make larger bottles of crown royal right? Larger bottle = bigger bag. I might also question why you are bringing so many sets of dice.

Also, crown royal bags are the cadillac of dice bags. Stop chasing fashion and it might catch up to you.

Last, there's a reason why 4 other people in your gaming group use them. It's cause they work really well. They're durable but not uncomfortable or ugly.

Sduser
2012-12-13, 06:00 PM
I, personall, took a Punisher Beanie/Skullie/Whatever you call a wool cap (I'm not hip), and personally sewn in a string.

But, given you aren't a fan of sewing... You can also consider using something other than a bag. When I began, I didn't know it mattered and I carried my Dice around ina chest I have, using a Tarot Card box for my dice and sitting them ontop of my books. It was only recently I joined the many others in using an actual Bag since hauling a chest around got tiresom xD

Seharvepernfan
2012-12-14, 06:19 AM
When I was about five, I went to a garage sale and found a little brown leather pouch with a drawstring that said "NUGGETS" on it, and in smaller print "SQUIRE BOONE CAVERNS & VILLAGE", which is a few counties away. It looks like this (http://us.123rf.com/400wm/400/400/tmcnem/tmcnem0509/tmcnem050900090/238534-gold-nuggets-spilling-from-a-leather-pouch--riches--wealth.jpg), except soft and fuzzy, like suede.

When I first started playing D&D, and learned that dice bags were a thing, I knew I had the perfect thing to use.

RedWarlock
2012-12-15, 12:20 AM
I've got a tough leather pouch I bought at a ren fair about 8-9 years back. It's held up amazingly well. (the key is to not just pull it shut, but also invert a loop around the top, just under the pullstring, to hold it closed.)

I went back this last summer to get another new one, for my spare dice, couldn't find anything exactly as tough, but found another leather pouch, a little thinner material, but bigger. (I've got a purple crown royal bag, but it's not great. Too floppy for my purposes.)

Tetsubo 57
2012-12-15, 07:33 AM
I have two containers I use. A 9" x 12" x 1.5" plastic box with a hinged lid and multiple compartments and a wool, hand crocheted dice bag my wife made for me as an anniversary gift.

Phaedrus2129
2012-12-15, 05:32 PM
Try the bag that comes with a computer power supply from Corsair. Upgrade your computer and get a dice bag at the same time. :smallwink: