PDA

View Full Version : Various Races, PEACH

zzuxon
2012-12-04, 07:00 PM
I'm making a campaign setting, and I have made or retooled several races to be PC races. All of these races are intended to be LA 0. I use the pathfinder standard, namely, +2. +2, -2 is normal for ability scores..

Ego
Docile relatives of Illithids, the Ego sport passive telepathy and a second brain emerging from their mouth on a cord.

+2 Intelligence, +2 Wisdom, -2 Strength, -2 Cha.
Humanoid
Medium
Base Land Speed: 30 feet
Ego get a +4 on all sense motive, diplomacy, and gather information checks.
Ego get 1 bonus powerpoint every level. They can use these to manifest one 1st level power of their choice, regardless of class. If the Ego takes levels in Psion, these powers and points stack with the powers they gain from the class.
Ego must be holding their second brain for use of any psionic ability other than the Song, telepathic communication, and passive check bonuses.
Telepathic Communication: Ego can communicate with any sentient species automatically.
Song of the Ego: All Ego are telepathically connected to all other Ego all the time. They can use this "Song" to do a variety of things:
Ego gain a +5 on any knowledge check of any kind, unless the DM can reasonably say no live Ood has ever known what they are trying to find out. They can also make knowledge checks untrained. They try to gain on the subject known by any live Ego.
If an Ego is in grave danger, defined as going below 10% of their max HP, other Ego can lend them psychic power through the song, giving them a +4 on all checks using their psychic abilities, and a +3 to damage on psychic attacks for 5 rounds, or until they get above 10% of their HP. If this ability is invoked because the Ego falls unconscious, the bonuses apply after the Ego regains consciousness.
Tentacles: An Ego's tentacles can function somewhat like a hand. They can't hold a weapon or shield, but they can carry most other Items, such as a torch or length of rope. Exceptions can be managed at the DMs discretion.

Thri-Kreen
Insectoid humanoids with 4 arms, Thri-Kreen can be a force to be reckoned with.

+2 Strength,+2 Dex, -2 Wisdom, -2 Cha. Kreen are strong and deft, but can be impulsive and have a psychology that is rather alien to other sentients.
Monstrous humanoid, not affected by hold person, etc.
Immune to Sleep Effects
+2 natural armor.
+4 to jump checks
+4 to climb checks
Can choose between 2 exoskeletons:
Grey: +4 to hide checks in rocky areas or cities.
Tan: +4 to hide in sandy or arid areas.
Has 4 arms. The 2 smaller bottom arms cannot make unarmed attacks or use heavy weapons, but can use light weapons. They also do not add their strength modifier to melee attacks with weapons in their lower arms.
Gythka and chitka are martial weapons.

Hobgoblins
Militaristic Humanoids who's society is based on honor.

+2 Con
Medium
Base land speed 30ft
+1 on all attack rolls.
Honor: -6 on all checks of any kind that would involve doing something dishonorable. What is "Dishonorable" is judged and must be justified by the DM.
Treat Bat'leths and Mek'leths as martial weapons.
All Hobgoblins are proficient with all simple weapons.

Gith
Deft humanoids notable for having split into 2 factions.

+2 Dex,
Medium
Gith base land speed is 35 ft.
+2 racial attack bonus versus Illithids and Ego.
Psionic power resistance equal to 5+ HD.

If Githzerai:
+2 Wis, -2 Int
May add dexterity bonus to melee attacks.
+2 to Athletics and Acrobatics checks.

If Githyanki:
+2 Con, -2 Wis
Proficiency with Silver Swords, and gain 1 silver sword at first level.
Proficiency with all simple weapons, regardless of class.

Myconids
An enigmatic race, commonly known as Mushroom men for good reason.

+2 Con, -2 Dex, +2 Int, -2 Cha,
Medium
Base land speed 20 ft, but are immune to incumberance.
Burrow Speed of 10ft.
Plant (Humanoid): Immune to spells such as hold person.
+4 to hide checks in forests.
+2 to Sense Motive, Diplomacy, and gather Information checks.
1 Bonus power point every other level if the Myconid has levels in Psion.
Low Light Vision
Acid resistance 5
Wild empathy applying only to plants and fungus.
Immune to disease, sleep and paralysis. It also possesses fast healing 1.
Spores: Myconids can cause a variety a spell-like abilities with their spores. They choose 3 from this list at first level, then learn one new one every 3 levels afterward. 3 uses per day total, not per spore ability.
Calm: Functions as calm animals, but also applies to other creatures.*
Charm Person
Obscuring Mist
Neutralize Poison
Neutralize Disease
Daze Monster*
Sleep
Hypnotism*
Cause Fear*.
Remove Fear*
Confusion, Lesser*
* Does not affect mindless creatures.
At 10 HD, Myconids can use fission as a psi-like ability once per 4 in game days.

Gorians
Bizarre undead who were never alive to begin with.

+4 Con, +2 Int, -4 Cha
Undead(DeathBorn) Advance based on class, not creature type, have a constitution score. Not affected by hold person.
Medium Size
Base land Speed is 25ft
Darkvision to 50ft.
1 bonus powerpoint every other level if the Gorian has levels in Psion.
Healed by death energy, such as inflict wounds spells; harmed by life energy, healing spells.
Immunity to poison, disease and sleep effects, as well as non-lethal damage.
Has good Will save progression, regardless of class.
25% fortification against critical hits and sneak attacks
+4 to Sense Motive, Diplomacy, and Gather Information Checks.
Telepathy: Can communicate with all sentient creatures.

Thank you for your time.

Omnicrat
2012-12-05, 01:55 AM
You forgot to edit Ood to Ego in one place (It was still really obvious the Ego were Ood before that). I'll add more once I'm done reading them, But Ood Ego seem more like a +1 to me, but I must admit I've only ever played pathfinder in passing, and I know they've buffed human, so maybe its fine for a Pathfinder +0.

You need to put a range on your telepathy, otherwise its everything everywhere that can be talked to. If that was your intent, that would vastly alter the structure of any society.

Other than that, the last two look a little powerful to me, but what I said earlier about pathfinder still applies to them. If they are fine +0s, then you should probably buff up hobgoblins and Gith a bit.

zzuxon
2012-12-06, 08:42 PM
You forgot to edit Ood to Ego in one place (It was still really obvious the Ego were Ood before that). I'll add more once I'm done reading them, But Ood Ego seem more like a +1 to me, but I must admit I've only ever played pathfinder in passing, and I know they've buffed human, so maybe its fine for a Pathfinder +0.

You need to put a range on your telepathy, otherwise its everything everywhere that can be talked to. If that was your intent, that would vastly alter the structure of any society.

Other than that, the last two look a little powerful to me, but what I said earlier about pathfinder still applies to them. If they are fine +0s, then you should probably buff up hobgoblins and Gith a bit.

Thanks for your feedback.
I'm not actually playing pathfinder, I just saw how their races had a net gain of 2 ability points, and liked that idea. I am making a 3.5 setting, just with a slight shift to the LA0 standard.
I will put a range on the Ego's telepathy, probably 60 or 70 ft.
I'm a bit nervous about Myconids, so I think I'll nerf them, and I'd like to Buff Gith and Hobgoblins a bit, but I can't think how.

Omnicrat
2012-12-07, 06:29 AM
For Hobgoblins, you could give them a +x (probably less than 6) bonus for checks that are "honorable." You could also consider giving them a +2 str (or possibly even +2 wis), -2 cha to help flesh out the feel of the race; Warrior who value "honor" to the point that their basic ability to interact with others is harmed.

You could give the Gith a power point reserve and each species a psi-like ability.

edit: For got to remind you Gorian have infinite range telepathy aswell.

Also, how are your humans? Do you even have any? What about the other standard races?

zzuxon
2012-12-07, 12:03 PM
For Hobgoblins, you could give them a +x (probably less than 6) bonus for checks that are "honorable." You could also consider giving them a +2 str (or possibly even +2 wis), -2 cha to help flesh out the feel of the race; Warrior who value "honor" to the point that their basic ability to interact with others is harmed.

You could give the Gith a power point reserve and each species a psi-like ability.

edit: For got to remind you Gorian have infinite range telepathy aswell.

Also, how are your humans? Do you even have any? What about the other standard races?

Those are pretty good ideas for Hobgoblins and Gith. I really like the Hobgoblin Idea, I'll definitely incorporate that, maybe also an anger bonus against dishonorable opponents.
I like the Gith idea too. I'll see if I can find an appropriate power.

I got rid of Halflings and Half-Orcs. The rest of the races are there. I changed Humans, elves, and Half-elves slightly, and made some more substantial changes to Gnomes and Dwarves. In my setting, Dwarves are desert dwellers, so I gave them some new abilities to reflect that, and I wanted Gnomes to be a more desirable race.

Omnicrat
2012-12-08, 01:16 AM
Glad to help!

Also, you could always post your modified standard races for a bit of help.