PDA

View Full Version : Racing games

Winter_Wolf
2012-12-04, 10:53 PM
Because I like racing games (though I seem to be in the minority here), I would like to hear people's thoughts on them.

Do you have a favorite? And if so, why?

I'm a sucker for the Need for Speed franchise. Some of them have really been bad (I'm looking at you NFS Pro Street :smallannoyed:), but I have hopes for Need for Speed Most Wanted 2012. It looks like I can finagle it to work on my laptop, which is fortunate since my desktop processor won't work. (If you know where I can get an Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 3.16GHz processor that's got a warranty more than 30 days and less than $150 with tax/shipping, I'm all ears.)

DiRT looks like it could be interesting, has anyone played it/them?

What is your favorite camera angle (for games that have these options)?
I like bumper or hood, with a preference for the bumper cam. True, in a lot of games you can trick out your car and it's nice to be able to see that in-game, but my control suffers greatly when the camera is set to see the car from behind (except for some drifting action).

What kind of controller do you like to use: i.e. keyboard, controller, or steering wheel?
I have a controller that's based on the PS2 controller, which works pretty well for me, though I don't know if I'll be able to get it to run on Win7x64. I can't play racing games with the keyboard. Physically I can manage it, but it just grates on my nerves so much I can't enjoy the game at all. I would really like to try with a wheel, but every single one is such a mixed bag of reviews that I can't make any kind of a choice short of going out and buying one blindly. They're not so cheap that I can just do that instead of say buying food for my family. I expect I'd have to relearn how to play racing games if I had a wheel setup.

Zevox
2012-12-04, 11:09 PM
Diddy Kong Racing is pretty much the only one I can recall liking. Mostly for the colorful cast and maps, boss levels, and bonus stages. And the hovercrafts and planes - never liked the cars as much as those.

Yeah, I'm not really a fan of the genre, I just found that one fun for a while way back when.

Zevox

Jonzac
2012-12-04, 11:42 PM
For accurate PC racing check out www.simhq.com. There are a bunch of high fidelity racing games with miltiplayer and leagues.

Drive for real!

factotum
2012-12-05, 03:14 AM
I'm not a great fan of games that are literally nothing but racing--I prefer more open-world style games where you happen to be using a car a lot, like Driver: San Francisco.

Dumbledore lives
2012-12-05, 04:48 AM
I like Racing Games somewhat though prefer kart racing or arcade to more realistic. My favorite in the sort of real genre though is the Midnight Club series because of the open worlds and customization which are just really fun to play around in, though the difficulty is often quite off.

Winter_Wolf
2012-12-05, 02:16 PM
I like Racing Games somewhat though prefer kart racing or arcade to more realistic. My favorite in the sort of real genre though is the Midnight Club series because of the open worlds and customization which are just really fun to play around in, though the difficulty is often quite off.

Oh man I have Midnight Club DUB Edition for my PSP. Ridiculously unforgiving at the early stages when you're broke, the available cars kind of suck, and there aren't any upgrades available anyway, then progressively easier until you hit the icy city. Not of fan of ice in racing games. I grew up in Alaska, I don't want to end up with flashbacks. :smalltongue:

I only really like kart games if I'm playing with others, because it seems more festive and social to me. Also there's a more even distribution of winning. Otherwise I end up smoking pretty much everyone in my social group since I'm the only one who really gets into racers, so I'm the only one who can do the courses without crashing into everything. Not really fun for anyone, and brings out the jerk in me when I sit near the finish line and just slooowly idle across while people are still a quarter-track behind.

I probably won't have that problem in online multiplayer, in fact I'll probably get smoked more often than not.