PDA

View Full Version : Large AOE spell that does HP damage

barna10
2012-12-05, 12:33 AM
Please list AOE spells that do damage. How much damage doesn't matter, even 1 HP is ok.

Astral Avenger
2012-12-05, 12:36 AM
sortable list of 3.5 spells from PH & Spell Compendum
Ta Da! (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/lists/spells&tablesort=7) :smallsmile:

Eric Scott
2012-12-17, 09:33 PM
I personally like Obedient Avalanche from Frostburn... which I hope was errata'd, but I honestly have no clue if it was... main reason being, it says it does 1d610 damage to terrain and structures...

AWiz_Abroad
2012-12-17, 09:36 PM
I personally like Obedient Avalanche from Frostburn... which I hope was errata'd, but I honestly have no clue if it was... main reason being, it says it does 1d610 damage to terrain and structures...

NOT ERRATAed

Heaven help any adventurers, cities, small deities in the north.

silverwolfer
2012-12-17, 09:41 PM
you missed the 1d6 X 10

gooddragon1
2012-12-17, 09:44 PM
NOT ERRATAed

Heaven help any adventurers, cities, small deities in the north.

That text hurts my brain.

For every day use: Firestorm

2 10 foot cubes per level. 1d6 per level up to 20d6

(The raging flames do not harm natural vegetation, ground cover, and any plant creatures in the area that you wish to exclude from damage.)

Medium range. Druids and clerics get it.

Hand_of_Vecna
2012-12-17, 09:48 PM
If you don't need to do massive damage then locate city bomb should work even under the interpretation where because the AOE is technically 2 dimensional everyone goes up instead of out and takes just 1d6 from exploding and 2 cold.

Battleship789
2012-12-17, 09:51 PM
There is always Apocalypse from the Sky... 10d6 damage, 10 mile/CL radius. Snag some way to not require an artifact, reduce the casting time, not include yourself in the area (Shape Spell/Extraordinary Spell Aim) and become immune to the ability damage and drain and then chuckle evilly.

Acanous
2012-12-17, 09:52 PM
I wanna see Locate City done with Sculpt Spell to make it into 10 foot cubes. That'd be funny.

Anyhow, Vortex of Teeth.

Slipperychicken
2012-12-17, 10:07 PM

Complete Divine says 1d6x10.

Cruiser1
2012-12-18, 01:48 AM
So does Spell Compendium, which is the latest printing of Obedient Avalanche, so the typo has indeed been corrected to do balanced damage.

Hirax
2012-12-18, 02:21 AM
The flash frost spell feat (PHB2) and blizzard are an easy way to hit a large area with 2 cold damage. At higher levels apocalypse from the sky also works, a very sketchy reading of the eschew materials feat might let you get around the artifact requirement. Arcane thesis, incantatrix, and Halruaan elder working together could let you widen apocalypse from the sky, too.

If you don't need to do massive damage then locate city bomb should work even under the interpretation where because the AOE is technically 2 dimensional everyone goes up instead of out and takes just 1d6 from exploding and 2 cold.

While amusing, I feel compelled to point out it isn't RAW legal.

-It doesn't qualify for explosive spell because it isn't a cone, line, burst, or cylinder.

-The only way I've seen it set it up involves using snowcasting to add the cold descriptor, then flash frost, but then using energy substitution to take away the cold descriptor, making it an invalid target for flash frost. It's like trying to build the third story of a house of cards by removing the first story. You can get around this with the energy admixture feat, but see below.

-Material components are expended "in the casting process," (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicOverview/spellDescriptions.htm#components) meaning prepared casters can't prepare locate city with the explosive spell, energy admixture, or the born of three thunders feats because when they're preparing it the spell doesn't have an energy descriptor. Snowcasting's text backs this up, specifying that it's added during the casting process. This means the only way to add metamagic feats requiring an energy descriptor is through spontaneous means, such as rods, incantatrix abilities, being a sorcerer, etc. Yes, this means snowcasting is less useful than people think it is in other areas as well.

silverwolfer
2012-12-18, 03:51 AM
How inaffective does control winds get at high levels, versus immunties ?

Morph Bark
2012-12-18, 03:53 AM

Seems strange for it to break away from the standard 10d6. :smallconfused:

silverwolfer
2012-12-18, 04:01 AM
gives it a neat stack of numbers, instead of random generator.

Krazzman
2012-12-18, 04:09 AM
There is a spell in a faerun book.
level 5, costs an alchemist fire to cast and... well deals fireball damage over x-fields... in german it was called Flächenbrand or something like that.

Andion Isurand
2012-12-18, 04:41 AM
Firebrand from Magic of Faerun, giving you one 5-ft.-radius burst per caster level. Max of 15d6 damage for the whole effect, and overlapping bursts do not deal additional damage.

Demidos
2012-12-18, 04:47 AM
Widened sunburst -- surprisingly large area. Can hit over three thousand tightly packed targets for an average of 21 damage (or 42 damage to creatures unnaturally hurt by it, or 52.5+ damage to undead, or instant death to those enemies who are undead and destroyed by light), and blind as well.

willpell
2012-12-18, 04:47 AM
Question for the OP - do you need only spells, or are psionic powers also okay? If so, your list gets a bit longer.