PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Sevenfold Veil adaptation

AntiTrust
2012-12-05, 02:05 AM
So I'm planning taking this prestige class (CArc pg44) and I noticed the adaptation blurb next to it that mentioned other possible focus's instead of color.

I think the standard flavor for it is okay, but it feels a little, well...Priscilla queen of the desert-y (google image search for if you're not aware of what I'm talking about). Instead I'd like to try the adaptation it suggests of a "Philosophical Hierarchy" and was just curious if anyone has done that, or even if they haven't, what they would put in philosophy wise in exchange for the colors.

Ianuagonde
2012-12-05, 02:19 PM
My first reaction is to link the abilities to seven chakras. As you progress in the class, you learn to open your brow chakra, your throat chakra etcetera. Once you open one, life energy flows through it, granting you your special abilities. Since this life energy makes your body better, if suits well with the defensive nature of the class.

Another possibility is to skimp on philosophy and use religion instead. The Christain faith has the seven deadly sins, and the Catholics have listed the seven virtues that counter these. Your character's abilities could come from his practicing these sins/virtues, or an infernal/divine patron who becomes more and more impressed with your character as he attempts to practice them all.

Psyren
2012-12-05, 11:12 PM
My first reaction is to link the abilities to seven chakras. As you progress in the class, you learn to open your brow chakra, your throat chakra etcetera. Once you open one, life energy flows through it, granting you your special abilities. Since this life energy makes your body better, if suits well with the defensive nature of the class.

Though a nice idea, there's a class for that... (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20040827c)

I would make it like the Bereft from ToM - you learn seven syllables, each with great power, and in the end you can form a devastating Word. Or borrow from Geometer - you learn seven intricate shapes/runes (each of which you anchor a veil to) and at the capstone, you can combine to form a powerful protective glyph.

Answerer
2012-12-05, 11:24 PM
Though a nice idea, there's a class for that... (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20040827c)
There's an entire subsystem revolving around Chakras, that doesn't make this adaptation any less valid. There can be more than one approach to them.

Psyren
2012-12-06, 02:14 AM
There's an entire subsystem revolving around Chakras, that doesn't make this adaptation any less valid. There can be more than one approach to them.

1) Incarnum actually has little to do with the 7 Buddhist chakras; Meditant is a bit more authentic there. Incarnum takes more of a "chakra = body slot" route.

2) Sure there can be more than one, I just thought I'd point out the existing chakra class in case he didn't know.

nedz
2012-12-06, 05:09 AM
Well there's the Snow White adaptation: Every level you get a new Dwarf.

prufock
2012-12-06, 08:05 AM
- 7 days of the week
- 7 deadly sins/holy virtues
- 7 layers of hell/heaven
- 7 notes in a musical scale
- 7 major imbalances in chess

Axier
2012-12-06, 08:09 AM
Well there's the Snow White adaptation: Every level you get a new Dwarf.

Which one do you get first? Grumpy?

Actually, this would be interesting. I have a few ideas. You take each one, give it a powerful warding power, and then, the capstone they can work together to form a powerful ward! Plus, you get followers!

On second thought, I like the action economy as it is... Broken already.

Lapak
2012-12-06, 09:39 AM
Which one do you get first? Grumpy?

Actually, this would be interesting. I have a few ideas. You take each one, give it a powerful warding power, and then, the capstone they can work together to form a powerful ward! Plus, you get followers!

On second thought, I like the action economy as it is... Broken already.The Stepsister Scheme had Snow White summon The Seven Anthropomorphic Incarnations of Elemental Magic, which arrived in the shape of small humanoids made of light, shadow, fire, air, earth, water, and raw magic.

She explained the the seven dwarves business came from a combination of 'making a better story' and 'much easier to explain.'

nedz
2012-12-06, 10:36 AM
Or, of course, there's the old Snow Dwarf and the Seven Wights variation.

Cruiser1
2012-12-06, 01:56 PM
what they would put in philosophy wise in exchange for the colors.
Schools of magic! Sevenfold Veil is an Abjuration focused PrC. There are 8 schools of magic total, leaving 7 after the theme school Abjuration. Note there are specific effects of the veils and the attacks that overcome them, where it would be best if the replacement associations for each color actually related to them. For example:

Evocation: Fire damage dealt by veil. Fire spells are usually Evocation.
Conjuration: Acid damage dealt by veil. Acid spells are usually Conjuration.
Transmutation: Veil negated by Disintegrate, a Transmutation spell.
Necromancy: Poision damage dealt by veil. Poison spells are frequently Necromancy.
Divination: Veil stops all divination.
Enchantment: Veil causes insanity. Insanity is an Enchantment spell.
Illusion: Can duplicate other schools, e.g. Shadow Conjuration and Shadow Evocation. Related to veil destroying all objects and effects.

Darth Stabber
2012-12-06, 09:17 PM
In ascending order of seriousness
George Carlin's 7 words you can't say on tv.
7 dog years in a regular year.
7 wonders of the world
7 fires prophecy (http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seven_fires_prophecy)

eggs
2012-12-07, 06:46 PM
George Carlin's 7 words you can't say on tv.
Bwahaha. I would be lying if I said I wasn't actually considering this for a game. :smallbiggrin:

skycycle blues
2012-12-07, 06:55 PM
I don't think anyone mentioned this yet. How about the seven virtues of Bushido?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bushid%C5%8D#Seven_virtues_of_Bushid.C5.8D

nedz
2012-12-07, 07:07 PM
I don't think anyone mentioned this yet. How about the seven virtues of Bushido?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bushid%C5%8D#Seven_virtues_of_Bushid.C5.8D

Or the Seven Samurai, or their magnificent clones.

Unusual Muse
2012-12-07, 07:28 PM

Traditionally speaking, you would actually start with the Root chakra and work your way *up* toward the Crown chakra...just FYI. :smallsmile:

Dusk Eclipse
2012-12-07, 08:54 PM
Emotions:

Red:Anger
Orange:Greed
Yellow:Fear
Green: Willpower
Blue:Hope
Indigo:Compassion
Violet:Love

Darth Stabber
2012-12-07, 09:10 PM
Emotions:

Red:Anger
Orange:Greed
Yellow:Fear
Green: Willpower
Blue:Hope
Indigo:Compassion
Violet:Love

Willpower isn't an emotion.

Dusk Eclipse
2012-12-07, 09:16 PM
Those are the seven espectrum of emotion in the Green Lantern mythos.

Darth Stabber
2012-12-07, 09:25 PM
Those are the seven espectrum of emotion in the Green Lantern mythos.

I know, and it bugged me there too.

Willpower is still not an emotion.

Amnestic
2012-12-07, 10:11 PM
I know, and it bugged me there too.

Willpower is still not an emotion.

I always thought "Conviction" would be a better descriptor than Willpower.

Darth Stabber
2012-12-08, 04:15 AM
I always thought "Conviction" would be a better descriptor than Willpower.

Conviction also not really an emotion, it's a willingness to act upon beliefs.

2xMachina
2012-12-08, 11:31 AM
Or Brent Weeks's Lightbringer trilogy color magic system.

Short summary of the colors and it's properties (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Black_Prism)

Superviolet

Made of wavelengths shorter than most human eyes can see, superviolet luxin is invisible except to superviolet drafters—and those only when they concentrate. Solid, but not as strong as blue or green, superviolet is the subtlest luxin. Used for cryptography, creating invisible walls and traps, and marking targets on the battlefield, superviolets tend to have a removed outlook. They appreciate irony and sarcasm and are sometimes cold.

Blue

Blue Luxin is hard, strong, and smooth. It can be used in anything from the creation of large structures to armor or bladed weapons or projectiles. The deepest blue is Violet. Blues are orderly, inquisitive, and unfailingly rational. Structure, rules, and hierarchy are important to blues.

Green

Green Luxin is springy and flexible. The uses are as varied as the drafter is creative: from furniture to projectiles to shields to the throwing arms of war engines. Greens are wild and free. They don't so much disrespect authority as not even recognize it.

Yellow

Yellow Luxin is most often a liquid that releases its energy back into light quickly, allowing its use as a torch or a trigger to ignite flammable materials or explosives. Yellow nourishes other luxins, extending the durability of luxin structures or tools. Like water turning to ice, when yellow is drafted perfectly, it loses its liquidity and becomes the hardest luxin of all. Yellows tend to be clear thinkers, intellect and emotion in perfect balance.

Orange

Orange luxin is slick, lubricative, and heavy. It is often used in conjunction with machines and traps. Oranges are often artists, brilliant in understanding other people’s emotions and motivations. Some use this to defy or exceed expectations. Others become master manipulators.

Red

Red luxin is sticky, gooey, and extremely flammable. Reds often work with sub-reds or with mundane tools to make bombs. Their skills are used to catastrophic effect in war. Reds are quick tempered, impulsive, lusty, and love destruction.

Sub-Red

Sub-Red drafters can see heat, allowing them to see (to an extent) in the dark, they can draft the heat from their surroundings to survive intense heat and create flame crystals which turn into fire when exposed to air. Sub-reds are passionate in all ways, the most purely emotional of all the drafters.

Each color produces a material with certain properties, and forces certain personality on the user when using it.

The Viscount
2012-12-09, 01:32 PM
I'd say use days of the week, but that would be hard to color code as both Tuesday and Wednesday are gray.:smallwink:

Answerer
2012-12-09, 01:35 PM
I'd say use days of the week, but that would be hard to color code as both Tuesday and Wednesday are gray.:smallwink:
You, sir, win the thread.

Psyren
2012-12-09, 01:37 PM
Willpower isn't an emotion.

"Determination" might fit what they were going for there.

weckar
2012-12-09, 01:58 PM
Really, the emotional spectrum is really more a spectrum of drives and motivators to action...

The Viscount
2012-12-09, 02:31 PM
I can't exactly blame them for making green correspond to willpower. They thought of that before the whole emotional spectrum, which is why it doesn't fit. If we were to run with the emotional spectrum, we could always replace willpower with a more appropriate emotion for green, like envy.
*dodges tomatoes

ZeroNumerous
2012-12-09, 02:42 PM
Really, the emotional spectrum is really more a spectrum of drives and motivators to action...

So basically it's a spectrum of things you feel. Such as emotions.