PDA

View Full Version : Mutants & Masterminds 2E Character

18th Avenger
2012-12-05, 06:03 AM
Hey Giants in the Playground,

I'm stating up a character for an incoming game of Mutants & Masterminds character. I downloaded the second edition core rulebook and it looks easy.

It bit me on the bum. And now I turn to you guys for a bit of help. People do say this neighborhood's good for the help.

Okay, so the Power Level is 5, so I've got 75 power points to spend and I'm stating up (or trying to) a time-displaced costumed adventurer-type of character, something out of the pulps I've come to love. He'll specialize in hand-to-hand combat, sneaking around and paranormal investigation. Just like Daredevil from Daredevil: Noir

The lads on the 'traditional games' board told me where to spend the points, but I'm a little lost on how much I should spend on my attributes, skills and features (25, 20, 30). And can I spend points to improve my Attack and Defense?

EDIT: Wrong place to put this. Sorry. :smalltongue:

Maryring
2012-12-05, 07:30 AM
Yeah, you can spend 2 points to improve your attack or defense by 1 point, up to a maximum of your PL, which is 5. So 20 points to get Attack 5 and Defense 5 should you want it.

Since you're seeming to play a simply badass normal fellow, I would think you should not spend too much on attributes. Since we're talking a paranormal detective, just do a somewhat even spread of 12 and 14 in attributes, and put the rest directly into the things that you want to improve.

When it comes to actual suggestions, I would suggest not spending too much in raw attack or defense, but instead throw a couple of points into favoured environment "Suburban", thus making you better in the urban areas where pulp detectives are at their best. Put ranks into Strike, pick up some fighting feats (the game has suggestions for feat-choices to emulate a particular fighting style) and you should be good to go. Perhaps pick up some equipment to get yourself a handgun and some bodyarmour. It'll help you a bit and make sense for your character even though the handgun will probably primarily be backup. For powers, I suggest a little device to get you some tools useful for said paranormal investigation. Device is mainly a vessel for getting other powers, with the drawback that you can have the device taken from you. And in my mind at least, I envision a paranormal investigator to have at least a couple of useful items to help with perceiving and discovering the supernatural.

Good luck with your character.

18th Avenger
2012-12-05, 08:30 AM
Good luck to me indeed. :smalltongue:

Wish that I'd have someone to walk me through the whole thing. Ah, well... :smallsigh:

prufock
2012-12-05, 10:37 AM
I believe the Hero Lab (http://www.wolflair.com/index.php?context=hero_lab&page=mutants_=_masterminds) free trial includes 2nd edition.