PDA

View Full Version : Gestalt Magus//Duskblade?

starship1
2012-12-05, 07:21 AM
worth it?

the magus gets spell strike and eventually the abiltity to ignore ASF in up to heavy armor.

both cast off intelegence.

and with the magus arcana: broad study you can even cast duskblade spells with spellstrike.

head into swiftblade 10 after duskblade 6 and get 2 melee touch spells as well as 2 full attacks

Be a spire defender (Magus Archtype) and then you get another weapon proficiency as well as extending the ASF to duskblade spells.

Snowbluff
2012-12-05, 12:06 PM
I'll tell you this: You'd be better off gestalting with anything other than Magus once you hit DB13. Since you can channel any touch spell as a full round action, it can get rather brutal.

Like a Wizard/Swiftblade.

Or just a Wizard.

A cleric with Harm.

Giegue
2012-12-05, 12:45 PM
As the above poster said, Duskblade likes touch spells. The magus, while a great class on it's own, adds little to the duskblade's arsenal. Duskblade is already a gish in a can, so gestalting it with another gish in a can, though admittedly one that works quite differently, does little for the class. I'd personally look into gestalting duskblade with an archivist. The cleric list has some VERY nice touch spells(harm) and the archivist is an int-based caster with the cleric list. You can also nab touch spells from other divine lists, which can be quite nice. Archivists are also divine, meaning unlike the gestalt with wizard or another arcanist you need not fear spell failure. You also get a skill point boost from archivist, and dark knowladge which can be a very nice debuff if you like that kind of thing.

starship1
2012-12-05, 01:38 PM
but the point of the build is not to go to duskblade 13 but only duskblade 4/fighter 1 then into abjurant champion. then on that side get all levels of swftblade. so you can use spell combat twice per round.

Andreaz
2012-12-05, 02:24 PM
As said by the others, no it's not worth it. The two classes are absolutely redundant, and while the duskblade is more potent when his touch-spell-through-weapon trick works, every other possible use of spellstrike+spellcombat is more useful.
Be a spire defender (Magus Archtype) and then you get another weapon proficiency as well as extending the ASF to duskblade spells.No, spire defender does not extend ASF to other classes' spells. The archetype states that "if you gain proficiency in armor, you regain the magus' ability to ignore spell failure chance". This means you get to ignore ASF on magus spells only, just like the normal class.
but the point of the build is not to go to duskblade 13 but only duskblade 4/fighter 1 then into abjurant champion. then on that side get all levels of swftblade. so you can use spell combat twice per round.Spell Combat is a full round action. Swiftblades get two standard actions and one move action and one swift action when hasted. This does not allow them 2 full-round actions per round.
They can, however, perform 3 full-round actions in two rounds (there's a ruling saying that you can perform a full-round action with two standard actions. The FRA is completed when you spend the second SA).
http://www.d20pfsrd.com/gamemastering/combat#TOC-Start-Complete-Full-Round-Action
Do notice that it is not usable to do full attacks. While spell combat itself isn't a full attack it does contain a full attack, so I wouldn't let you use it that way. Consult your DM.

starship1
2012-12-05, 03:22 PM
oops, there are some house rules in place letting me prestige on both sides so i am using Ulitmate magus levels to let my duskblade spells fuel my (teehee) magus spells. this would let me use a move action and then spell combat.