PDA

View Full Version : commoner gestalt

Story
2012-12-05, 12:26 PM
Are there any builds that can gain anything from a Commoner gestalt? It has the minimum hitdice, minimum skillpoints, really low saves, and no class features. As far as I can tell, the only possible benefits are a couple of extra class skills, and possibly a slight increase to saves if you Prc a lot on the other side.

But I was wondering if anyone more creative than me could see any way that a Commoner gestalt could be beneficial.

Morph Bark
2012-12-05, 12:31 PM
Only if you use Commoner Flaws or combine it with a class that doesn't have the same class skills (but somehow still has need for them).

Kazyan
2012-12-05, 12:33 PM
First person to mention chickens gets hit by an Persisted rickoll, no save.

docnessuno
2012-12-05, 12:44 PM
War hulk (Mini HB) gains 5 BAB out of it.
Depending on how you handle level adjustment in gestalt, LA races might gain some free HDs.
Also, you can do some interesting combinations with a notorious feat regarding some... avians.

Edit: super mega combo!

Build:
Commoner 20 // LA +2 / Lion totem barbarian (whirlyng frenzy) 4 / War hulk 10 / Any full BaB class 4

Race:
Anything large and strong within LA 2

Flaws:
One already mentioned flaw
One flaw of choice

Feats:
EWP (Spiked chain)
Willing deformity
Deformity (tall)
Aberrant blood
Inhuman reach
Quick draw
Power attack
Cleave
Great cleave

Tactics:
Charge in the middle of the enemy group
Draw as many weapon as possible as a free action
Use your first iterative as a whirlwind attack
Cleave a gazillion times on the enemy
Use your second iterative as a whirlwind attack
Use your third iterative as a whirlwind attack
Use your frenzy extra attack as a whirlwind attack

VGLordR2
2012-12-05, 12:58 PM
Putting a Commoner on one side of a Gestalt and taking the Delicious flaw could make a pretty good tanking character. The Delicious flaw is an aggro effect that offers no way to possibly avoid it. If level adjustment only applies to one side of the Gestalt build, you could go Commoner 1//Gheden (http://www.realmshelps.net/monsters/templates/half-undead.shtml), and take the Troll Blooded feat. Not only does this build force every opponent to attack you, it also renders you immune to nearly all damage, making you the ultimate tank. Still, though, I can't find any reason to take Commoner for more than one level.

Story
2012-12-05, 02:40 PM
First person to mention chickens gets hit by an Persisted rickoll, no save.

Technically, that's you.

Edit: After looking up the infamous commoner flaws, they're from the Dragon Magazine, and pretty clearly a joke in context too. I thought that Dragon material is usually assumed on these boards to be banned? Although I suppose if you're in a gestalt campaign, these flaws are hardly the most broken thing you can do.

Also XP Farm isn't even a real flaw.

Courier6
2012-12-05, 11:04 PM
Note that the dragon those flaws were published in was the april fools magazine.

VGLordR2
2012-12-06, 01:12 AM
Note that the dragon those flaws were published in was the april fools magazine.

Regardless of this fact, everything in that issue is as legal as any other issues' content.

Morph Bark
2012-12-06, 02:33 AM
Regardless of this fact, everything in that issue is as legal as any other issues' content.

And they can be made viable for some very fun builds!