PDA

View Full Version : Serenity-like systems

Silverfang
2012-12-05, 05:58 PM
I would like to run a Firefly kind of game, but the Serenity system, while very cool, is way too expensive. I saw a system like it last spring but didn't have the money at the time. I can't remember the name of it, does anyone know of any systems that I could use?

Aneurin
2012-12-05, 06:30 PM
Cortex, by the same publisher, is pretty much the same ruleset I believe. It's a bit different, and doesn't have ship creation rules or item costs, but the rules are broadly the same.

However, please don't quote me on this as I do not own the Cortex rules.

Raum
2012-12-05, 11:52 PM
As mentioned, the Serenity RPG (http://rpggeek.com/rpg/285/serenity-role-playing-game) uses the Cortex system.

If that's not what you're looking for, Bulldogs!; WEG d6; or WaRP may work for you - depends what you're looking for in the system.

eggs
2012-12-06, 03:16 PM
Even if it weren't for the price, I'd recommend against the Serenity version of the Cortex rules - it's one of the earlier uses of the ruleset, and it comes with a few problems in initiative and experience progression that were smoothed out in the generic-system Cortex rulebook. The system is already fragile; trying to figure how its sequentially-dependent actions work with simultaneous turns is just a headache.

Sir Swindle89
2012-12-06, 03:21 PM
you could use FATE. it pretty much works for anything. theres 3 different sci-fi games for it. i think wilddogs or somthing like that fits the feel.

Hopeless
2012-12-06, 03:36 PM
Try the Traveller system, you can buy the pocket core rulebook in the Uk for about £9.99 excluding postage and packing might be worth checking Amazon and the like or the american version.

Do you require a physical copy because you could also try the pdf if you're looking for something to read off a tablet or home computer as there are previous versions of Traveller depending on what you want to run.

A Serenity game can be easily run with just the pocket core rulebook if you want to go for the supplements they're out as little black books which are around the same prices as the core rulebook barring a few exceptions.

Whats your preferred game system?

Oh and the Traveller book includes a ship building system a number of example ship designs and if you look further there's signs and portents which I think is still free on rpgnow which have a number of articles on traveller ships.

Oh and a world designing system at the back but if you want to go into more detail I'd assume if you're using the world of Serenity there should be several sites that can help fine tune the worlds involved unless you want to create your own version.

Sylvos330
2012-12-07, 12:50 PM
D6 Has a system for Modern, Fantasy, and Sci Fi. The latter would be what you'd like. It's a fully generic system that you can mold to your choosing.

mabriss lethe
2012-12-07, 01:29 PM
What about Star Wars Saga Edition (minus the Force/Jedi)?

Grod_The_Giant
2012-12-07, 02:29 PM
I've got a friend who swears by Traveller.

CarpeGuitarrem
2012-12-07, 02:47 PM
I'll have you know that this is making me strongly consider buying a hardcover Traveller from my FLGS.

Alejandro
2012-12-08, 11:23 AM
Seconded on Star Wars Saga Edition. Just drop all Jedi and Force things and rename some things.

CarpeGuitarrem
2012-12-08, 04:13 PM
I have Traveller now. I concur with the recommendation, based on my cursory perusal. Just cut out the alien stuff (not too hard, players are by default humans) and most of the psionics (if not all, unless someone really wants to play a Reader), play with the tech levels, and ignore everything about jumping.

The rest should work excellently.

Grod_The_Giant
2012-12-08, 09:39 PM
Cutting out psionics is probably good regardless. I'm told they're really broken.

Water_Bear
2012-12-08, 10:32 PM
Prime Time Adventures is literally designed exactly for the purpose of playing Whedon-style big-cast action dramas. It's not free (unless you steal it, which you shouldn't) but it's pretty freaking cheap to get the PDF; I think it was like $7 or so.

It's basically a FATE style Aspect system, though better than FATE in my opinion, which is pretty seriously rules light but is still well built. The entire game is structured like a TV show, and all the rules focus on building compelling plots which further the character's personal story arcs. The game ensures that conflicts will be dramatic and everyone gets a literal episode in the spotlight, and there really isn't anything you can't do with the core system.

It's a bit weird to get into if you come from a D&D or GURPS background and prefer adversarial simulationist games (AKA if you're me), but it's a really a fascinating system and I can't recommend it enough.

Knaight
2012-12-12, 04:49 PM
There is also Now Playing, in the same vein. I personally prefer it to PTA, though for this particular purpose I'd go with a generic Cortex build, Bulldogs!, or a homebrew.