PDA

View Full Version : Character roleplaying

thriceborn
2012-12-06, 07:46 AM
Curious how people would play different character archetypes. List a character back story, and any class/race/whatever and see how others would play the same character.

My question, how would you play a war veteran, the war basically being Vietnam who's entire enemy base was the Vietcong, no other forces involved, who is inventive and creative? Would you reference the war often or not at all. What type of spells would you favor if you were a spell caster, and what tactics would you employ? Played with a good sense of strategy, or with to many memories of war to be a good tactician?

Razanir
2012-12-06, 09:23 AM
Would you reference the war often or not at all.

If my character was old? "Back in [war]..."
If he was young? Probably not, actually. I'd try to make a name for myself beyond being a veteran

What type of spells would you favor if you were a spell caster

Touch spells and buffs. Touch because I'm playing a magus, buffs because I keep getting sneak attacked. Oh, and chain lightning. Definitely chain lightning

and what tactics would you employ?

Paranoid about buffing myself. Abusing spell strike :smallamused:

Played with a good sense of strategy, or with to many memories of war to be a good tactician?

Mostly good at indy ploys, but I'd be prone to traumatic memories surfacing.

Joe the Rat
2012-12-06, 10:44 AM
My question, how would you play a war veteran, the war basically being Vietnam who's entire enemy base was the Vietcong, no other forces involved, who is inventive and creative? Would you reference the war often or not at all. What type of spells would you favor if you were a spell caster, and what tactics would you employ? Played with a good sense of strategy, or with to many memories of war to be a good tactician?

This is a bit like a character I'd put together for a (very) short-lived game. He'd been a rank-and-file soldier that did... something that did not set well with him. He fugued out, disappeared into the bush, and popped up again 10 years and a continent away as a druid. (Basically playing with the shell-shocked veteran stereotype). He did not talk about his experiences - or even noted his involvement - in the war, but whatever damage he had done set him on a course of rescuing damaged souls (His animal companion was a coy runt, and he had a Polly Oliver sidekick on the run from unfortunate circumstances).

He acted like a half-mad hermit, basically using audacity and insanity to redirect or diffuse conflict, falling back to archery when things went sour. Spell-wise he went with buffing, then healing - keeping others out of being dead. We weren't high enough for all of the cool powers to come into play. Strategy-wise the plan was for him act as anchor, and help direct the team to targets (or targets to the team). Unexpected military efficiency from a crazy woodguide.