PDA

View Full Version : Managed to play again! (build suggestions needed)

Zephyros
2012-12-06, 08:16 AM
After 2 years of drought I finally managed to find a party (or rather they found me) and we hit it off last weekend! :smallbiggrin:

Setting is generic - Greyhawk, starting level is 1 (with a free +1 LA as it seems)

The party:

Elan Psion: kind of annoying know-it-all character (played by a likewise minded individual) I might have to tell him to mind his own business now that he is still little :P

Tiefling Beguiler: quiet, no bull*** character (wasn't happy our first two encounters were undead-based :smalltongue:)

Aasimar Warblade (LN):
I rolled the most ridiculous set of stats I've seen for years: 18 16 18 16 18 14
(after racials +placed on that order) and chose combat reflexes for my first feat. For my first weapon I picked up a trusty long spear.

Since I am really rusty on my D&D knowledge cause of inactivity I have some questions:

1) Can I pull off a lock-down build as a warblade? What feats do I need?
2)Should I drop the spear for some other reach weapon (other than spiked chain)?
3)Is master of 9 worth it? Multiclassing into Swordsage seems really nice :smallcool:

Gwendol
2012-12-06, 08:31 AM
The spiked chain is your first choice of weapon, yes. If going ToB, Crusader is usually suggested for lock-down builds. Thicket of Blades stance and all that. However, with those stats though you could make a good anything. Paladin or Knight?

Regardless of class you will be looking to get a selection of the following feats:
EWP Spiked Chain, Combat reflexes (already chosen), Combat expertise, Imp trip, Knock-Down, Power Attack, Cleave, Stand Still, Mage Slayer, Hold the Line (or just get the steadfast boots), Robilar's Gambit, Defensive Sweep.
Also, you might want to look at ways to demoralize your enemies: there are a bunch of class abilites (Zhent fighter), skill tricks, and feats to consider.

Finally, growing a size will help you a lot, which means psionic classes would help a lot, or having a potion of enlarge person on hand, or a friendly wizard/cleric.

BowStreetRunner
2012-12-06, 09:39 AM
I would second Crusader over Warblade for a lock-down build (particularly with spiked chain). However, since all of the martial adept classes from ToB seem to benefit from a two-level dip in another class in order to fix their maneuver selection, if you want to take a couple of levels of Warblade that might work very well (depending on your DM's stance on multi-class penalties).

I particularly like the idea of dipping a few levels of Warblade to pick up maneuvers like Moment of the Perfect Mind, Action Before Thought, Mind Over Body, and Iron Heart Surge - all defensive oriented maneuvers that I can keep up with my Warblade class while cycling through my offensive options with Crusader maneuvers. It also helps to be able to pick up one or two extra stances with Warblade as well.

Morbis Meh
2012-12-06, 04:52 PM
If you want to play a lockdown warblade it is possible with a dip in crusader (just for thicket of blades and nothing else) if you don't want to use a spiked chain pick up a guisarme and a spiked guantlet. Get improved trip when you can and may I suggest you mix it up with a combo lockdown/crackdown build? This is done via taking ironheart aura so you can nab stormguard warrior for their delicious options (with combat reflexes and thicket of blades this option becomes utter gold in conjunction with stand still). Personally I would have selected a Goliath from RoS instead of Aasimar for this build since they can wield large weapons.