PDA

View Full Version : anything to do to this barbar to make it "MORE"?

doc225
2012-12-06, 10:37 AM
My buddy is playing a BarBar, in a group with 2 clerics, a ranger (bow) and a sorcerer. early on, he was dominating the battles, dealing crazy damage with power attack, etc...

We are now level 8, and we have all caught up (some have passed) him in power. He is feeling less useful. My Wife (ranger) and I tried to explain that he hasn't really optimized his barbar other than "make it strong and hit crap hard"

I will post his build now:

Half Orc BarBar 8
Str 24 (gauntlets OP)
Dex 14
Con 15
Int 11
Wis 13
Cha 10

Feats: Power attack, Cleave, Combat reflexes

Using the Berserker strength variant from PHBII instead of standard rage rules.

+1 Flaming Greatsword
+1 Breastplate
Ring protection +1
numerous potions of enlarge
Periapt of Healt

Our DM doesn't really give a lot of loot, and doesn't make it easy to buy magic items. We are in the dales, anyway, so most towns have too low of a GP limit. (he follows GP limit and Asset rules) We are probably way down on Wealth for level chart, too. Any advice to the character should be class and feat based, as we can't really rely on equipment much.

I just want to be able to show him all the stuff you suggest, to be able to help him out. Thanks in advance for your help. We have access to completes and FR, but not ToB. I also have cityscape and dungeonscape.

doc225
2012-12-06, 10:40 AM
I recommended improved critical as his next feat. a crit for him is huge, since it doubles his power attack damage.

Something charge related is also a thought.

Great cleave isn't big as we don't often fight large numbers, usually just a few stronger targets.

LordQwert
2012-12-06, 10:43 AM
Not sure how I feel about Cleave and Combat Reflexes, but if you're stuck with them...

Obvious choices would be Vital Strike and Furious Focus for the no penalty bonus damage power charge. You can also build towards a specific kind of murder. If the campaign is heavy with enemy wizards, it's pretty easy to make a mage-killer Barbarian build.

Edit: Also, consider using a flachion or scythe. It sounds dumb perhaps, but the larger crit range/multiplier is way better than base weapon damage once you're adding in all the strength, magic, and power attack bonuses.

Double Edit: Derp. I play Pathfinder. Good luck!

Gwendol
2012-12-06, 10:53 AM
Yes, so combat reflexes is kind of sub-optimal in this case. I suggest trading it for improved bull-rush, and get shock trooper asap. Probably defer cleave until level 9.

Trading the greatsword for a falchion is solid advice.

doc225
2012-12-06, 10:57 AM
I'm not sure the Dm will allow feat retrains at this point... but it doesn't hurt to ask. I will suggest the falchion as it requires no real change other than "we go find it." It also makes the most sense, since the bulk of his damage comes from his strength and PA bonuses anyway. Losing an average of 1-2 points of damage to either increase crit chance or crit multiplier seems worth it to me. Can't believe I didn't think of that.

Barring feat retraining, what should the 9th level feat be when he does level?

Gwendol
2012-12-06, 10:59 AM
Imp Bull rush, and take a level of fighter if necessary to get shock trooper.

herrhauptmann
2012-12-06, 01:13 PM
Feats
Improved bullrush and shocktrooper. Use heedless charge from shocktrooper.
Leap Attack.
Extra rage? Extended Rage?
Improved sunder and combat brute. Sundering weapons is a good way to ruin loot, but if all you're getting is non-MW weapons from your enemies, it doesn't matter much. Meanwhile, Momentum charge will give him a second round of really nice Power Attack bonuses, and this time, he can use them for a full attack. Just don't sunder the weapons of the BBEG or his second in command.

Class
Multiclass to fighter. A single level means that he can take improved bullrush and shocktrooper at level 9. Or Sunder+Combat brute.
Multiclass to rogue. If he's got sneak attack, he can take craven and add his level to damage every time he flanks. This extra damage multiplies on crits. He'll also get more skill points.
Take a prestige class. Off the top of my head: Bear warrior or Frenzied Berserker. If he goes FB, he (or the party) will have to take measures to ensure he doesn't TPK everyone. Calm emotions, Grease, and bags of marbles are standard. He also needs to pump his will save to easily get a DC20. Steadfast endurance will help with that a little. Especially if he finds a con boosting item.

Items:
Valorous weapon. Double damage on a charge. :D
Steadfast boots. If he's got a two-handed weapon, he is automatically (free action) set against any charges.
Smoking weapon. Miss chances. Eventually melee enemies will be able to hit you on a 5, and trying to keep your AC high enough for that is a fools game. So you take miss chances instead. Also good if he uses shocktrooper a lot.
Earthbound weapon. It's Eberron though, so the DM might be resistant. +2 att/dam if both he and enemy are touching the ground. This means he can safely power attack for more.
Ditch the flaming weapon. Fire is the most commonly resisted element. And that single d6 isn't helping him much, especially if he's going to start focusing on crit damage. Any other +1 enchantment will be preferable.

Party members:

The party casters could take Item Creation feats, to boost themselves, and the party melee.
This is more valuable in games with little loot/wealth.
Make him something that gives him enlarge person 3 or 4 times a day.
There's rules for cooperating on the creation of magic items.
If someone says "I don't want to fall behind in XP." Slap them with a DMG. They'll have a few less XP, but they'll still be the same level. If they actually fall behind in level, they'll start getting XP faster at each encounter, so they'll catch up in level quick.
Besides, at level 9 with 36000 XP, does it really matter if you fall behind by 100? It's not like the crafters will immediately lose 5000xp when they take the feats.

Telonius
2012-12-06, 01:19 PM
If you're stuck with no retraining, Robilar's Gambit could salvage some use out of Combat Reflexes. He has a lot of HP to blow, and he's probably getting hit a lot in melee anyway.

(EDIT: won't be available until 12th level, though - it requires BAB 12).

Gwendol
2012-12-06, 01:34 PM
Good catch Telonius! So, one or two levels of fighter to pick up imp bull rush and shock trooper at nine, robilar's gambit at 12, and fill out with HH's suggestions using either more fighter, or wait until level 15 etc.

herrhauptmann
2012-12-06, 01:47 PM
Oh yeah.
He wants an Item Familiar.
Even if he never stores spells or skill points in it, the XP boost alone will be nice.
It also slowly becomes an intelligent item., and can be improved as such.

KillianHawkeye
2012-12-06, 05:36 PM
Start taking Bear Warrior immediately. He qualifies. It's basically Barbarian+, and the DM should be okay with allowing it to work with Berserker Strength.

Venusaur
2012-12-06, 06:06 PM
Start taking Bear Warrior immediately. He qualifies. It's basically Barbarian+, and the DM should be okay with allowing it to work with Berserker Strength.

Berserker Strength and Bear Warrior actually have some interesting interactions. Bear Warrior boosts your CON, so you can be put over the threshold to activate Bear Warrior, so you lose the CON and reactivate it. This can be made hilarious with intimidating rage.