PDA

View Full Version : AVB - Thog and Daniel's Conversation

Rizban
2012-12-06, 11:26 AM
This thread is for Slii Arhem and rorikdude12 and GM(s) only. Yes, I know it doesn't follow the naming convention, so sue me.

Ahus
2012-12-07, 08:36 PM
(Reposting from city streets for continuity)

A tall lithe, creature with delicate feminine features and enters the square, from the road nearest the Sad Flint tavern. Walking past the doors to the Sad Flint she is nearly flattened by a patron whom came abruptly flying out. The skin of her face nearly matches the grey tone of the dark woolen traveling cloak. The woman extends her hand to assist the flying man whom she had moments ago dodged. Upon examination she notices that the large man was indeed a half orc, and she retracts her helping hand. “Filthy creature, you nearly crushed me. “ The woman looks up to see a man standing over the half-orc. “You know this thing?”

rorikdude12
2012-12-08, 06:16 PM
The half-orc turns into an elf with delicate features and a fine, aquiline nose. He gets up and turns to the woman.

"Cease your blithering, foolish bigot."

As he turns back to the man, he says, "What was that again?"

Slii Arhem
2012-12-08, 06:51 PM
Daniel seems mildly surprised, but not especially shocked at the transformation, "I said that it was a lot of trouble to go to just to make yourself look stupid, but I suppose if you were establishing a different personality then there's worse things you could've done. Still, looks like you got hurt pretty bad there, need a hand?" Daniel scratches the side of his nose as he speaks, sizing the elf up briefly and taking stock of how battered he looks.

"Must be awfully desperate for attention though, trying to pull that." Funnily enough, the human doesn't even seem to acknowledge the woman or her bigotry. Better to leave such types to their notions instead of raising a fuss. Less friction that way.

rorikdude12
2012-12-09, 05:13 AM
"Help would be wonderful. Honestly, though, the real goal was to just get another persona set up, and playing on racial steroeotypes is an easy way to do so."

Ahus
2012-12-09, 07:30 AM
At the comment of playing on stereotypes Caelana begins to think that she reacted harshly.
Turning back to the orc:
I applolgize for my initial reaction, though to be fair you did almost crush me for no reason. Most of my interactions with orcs have been, less than pleasant, and your being thrown out of a tevern like that gave me no reason to think differently of you.

Knowing that you are playing on a stereotype for some other reason I may be inclined to assist, depending on what you are scheming of course.

rorikdude12
2012-12-09, 08:45 AM
"Actually, I am, but we need to go someplace else, someplace more private, before I can discuss it.", he says as he looks back and forth between the two.

Slii Arhem
2012-12-09, 06:33 PM
"I'm in." Daniel grunts, shifting his feet as he casts his own glance around, "Lead the way if you've got a place in mind. I'll at least do you the favor of hearing you out before deciding whether or not I'm interested in helping you out."

rorikdude12
2012-12-10, 04:38 PM
The orc-now-elf walks into an alley and begins to explain.

"Ok. I plan to pull a heist on Erbauer's. We go in normally, but with one of us affected by a scroll of invisibility. The invisible one starts placing items into a bag of holding while the shopkeep is distracted by the second participant. The invisible participant teleports out, and leaves nobody wiser."

Slii Arhem
2012-12-10, 05:29 PM
Daniel follows him into the alley and hears him out with a skeptical half-smile on his face. The human scratches the side of his nose once again, perhaps an old habit he effects while musing.

"One would assume you have a scroll, bag, and means of teleportation then? If you've come up with this plan without those items then it doesn't say much for your plan-making abilities, and if you've already got them then what would you need help for? It seems pretty airtight as a one man job to me, and the more people you bring in, the more the payout is split." He feels a bit silly pointing out what should be obvious, but it's a fair point to make.

rorikdude12
2012-12-10, 10:03 PM
Daniel follows him into the alley and hears him out with a skeptical half-smile on his face. The human scratches the side of his nose once again, perhaps an old habit he effects while musing.

"One would assume you have a scroll, bag, and means of teleportation then? If you've come up with this plan without those items then it doesn't say much for your plan-making abilities, and if you've already got them then what would you need help for? It seems pretty airtight as a one man job to me, and the more people you bring in, the more the payout is split." He feels a bit silly pointing out what should be obvious, but it's a fair point to make.

"Bag? Check. Scroll and means of teleportation? Don't have them, but can easily make them. I wanted the orc disguise so that people wouldn't think I was a mage. I also wanted the room for crafting the items. Since you seem knowledgeable, you would know that a shopkeep might be angry to see that his stock is disappearing, hence the need for a distraction."

Ahus
2012-12-11, 01:10 PM
"Bag? Check. Scroll and means of teleportation? Don't have them, but can easily make them. I wanted the orc disguise so that people wouldn't think I was a mage. I also wanted the room for crafting the items. Since you seem knowledgeable, you would know that a shopkeep might be angry to see that his stock is disappearing, hence the need for a distraction."

I used to work for a shopkeeper as an apprentice of sorts, I would personally worry less about creating a distraction and more about the other wards that a shopkeeper might put on his store. We once imbued a thousand gold pieces with Glyphs of Warding that we kept in the drawer to target thieves whom unwittingly removed them from the premises. I can only imagine the stain that that left.

How much research have you done on Erbauer's? I would think that only the commonly available stuff would be on display, how much could you hope to smuggle out.
As there are three of us, and your plan clearly only calls for two, might I make a suggestion. A fair bit of the value in enchanted items is in the storage of the essence of the enchanter. The craftsman that I worked for previously had the ability to disenchant items of low value and reclaim the essence of the original crafter to use in his artifice. Perhaps, you are able to do so as well? If so, one of us could perform the distraction, I personally recommend you as the ability to disguise yourself effectively could prove useful in that regard. Another, could provide the lifting of the items per your plan. Then you could drain said items. Finally, the third could find and return said items collecting any possible reward, and ingratiating them self with Erbauer. Further if the third were questioned since they were not involved in the theft even magical compulsion to tell the truth would be ineffective since they weren't there. Finally we would have a person with immediate access to the inner sanctum of Erbauer's where, presumably, the better stuff would be kept.

Rizban
2012-12-11, 01:48 PM
Retaining essence requires 24 hours for each item, as per the Eberron Campaign Setting.

Ahus
2012-12-11, 04:08 PM
Yes, understood, otherwise an artificer could potentially retain the essence of stuff that they touch whilst shopping leaving the shop owner none the wiser.

Slii Arhem
2012-12-12, 10:48 PM
"Pretty sure anyone worth their salt would be able to detect the lack of magic in an item that was returned falsely. Of course, what you could do is determine what's worth fencing, what's only worth scrapping, and what's quite expensive and then have the third person return those last items for a reward. I'd be willing to take that job if no one else is. There's risk everywhere, so what each person does really doesn't matter so long as we play to our strengths." And his strengths apparently have to do with dealing with people rather than filching things under cover of magic.

rorikdude12
2012-12-13, 06:26 PM
"Another option would be to wait until the shop is closed, then teleport in, grab the goods, and teleport out. Yes, that sounds good. Mmmmmm. So, if you two could scout out defenses, guards, items of value, and other such things, I'll meet you day after tomorrow evening at the inn after I've made the requisite items. See you then!", the young elf says frenetically.

He skips off joyfully. A heist was planned, he had a new hat, he made new friends, and he can make new things!

He enters the inn and says, "May I rent a room?"

Slii Arhem
2012-12-13, 06:52 PM
Daniel puts a hand on the elf's shoulder, trying to halt his progress before he skips off too far.

"Slow down there mate. First off, what do we call you. Since Thog's obviously not going to do so well after being tossed out of the Flint. Second, where is it you want to meet? Here? In the Flint? Some other Alley?" Kind of important details to be skimming over really.

rorikdude12
2012-12-13, 08:11 PM
Daniel puts a hand on the elf's shoulder, trying to halt his progress before he skips off too far.

"Slow down there mate. First off, what do we call you. Since Thog's obviously not going to do so well after being tossed out of the Flint. Second, where is it you want to meet? Here? In the Flint? Some other Alley?" Kind of important details to be skimming over really.

"Told ya. In the flint. In the Inn. The Inn, the Sad Flint. S'what I meant. And you can call me Elson. See ya!", he says as he keeps skipping. He had FRIENDS!