PDA

View Full Version : Miner Cancels Drink; Interrupted By Fish [3.5, Monsters]

AmberVael
2012-12-06, 11:46 AM
So, recently I found that I needed some statblocks for just plain old fish, but I couldn't find any. So I decided to make a couple of fish stat blocks. Then I realized that regular fish are boring, and decided to add one that was a little more interesting, particularly to people familiar with a certain game. So if you're not interested in plain fish, skip down to the last one. :smallwink:

Small Fish
Size/Type: Diminuitive Animal (Aquatic)
Hit Dice: 1/4d8 (1hp)
Initiative: +1
Speed: Swim 30ft (6 squares)
Armor Class: 15 (+4 size, +1 Dex), touch 15, flat-footed 14
Base Attack/Grapple: +0/-17
Attack: -
Full Attack: -
Space/Reach: 1 ft./0 ft.
Special Attacks: -
Special Qualities: Low-light vision
Saves: Fort +1, Ref +3, Will +0
Abilities: Str 1, Dex 12, Con 8, Int 1, Wis 10, Cha 2
Skills: Escape Artist +5, Listen +2, Spot +2, Swim +13
Feats: Alertness
Environment: Aquatic
Organization: Varies
Challenge Rating: 1/10
Advancement: -
Level Adjustment: -

The statistics here represent the average small fish, such as bluegill, crappie, or fish of similar proportions.

Skills
A small fish has a +4 racial bonus on escape artist checks. A small fish uses its Dexterity modifier instead of its Strength modifier for Swim checks. A small fish has a +8 racial bonus on any Swim check to perform some special action or avoid a hazard. It can always choose to take 10 on a Swim check, even if distracted or endangered. It can use the run action while swimming, provided it swims in a straight line.

Trout
Size/Type: Tiny Animal (Aquatic)
Hit Dice: 1/4d8 (1hp)
Initiative: +2
Speed: Swim 30ft (6 squares)
Armor Class: 14 (+2 size, +2 Dex), Touch 14, flat-footed 12
Base Attack/Grapple: +0/-12
Attack: -
Full Attack: -
Space/Reach: 2.5 ft./0 ft.
Special Attacks: -
Special Qualities: Low-light vision
Saves: Fort +2, Ref +4, Will +0
Abilities: Str 3, Dex 15, Con 10, Int 1, Wis 11, Cha 2
Skills: Escape Artist +6, Hide +2, Listen +2, Move Silent +2, Spot +2, Swim +14
Feats: Alertness
Environment: Temperate aquatic
Organization: Hover (10-100)
Challenge Rating: 1/10
Advancement: -

Skills
Trout have a +4 racial bonus on escape artist checks. A trout uses its Dexterity modifier instead of its Strength modifier for Swim checks. A trout has a +8 racial bonus on any Swim check to perform some special action or avoid a hazard. It can always choose to take 10 on a Swim check, even if distracted or endangered. It can use the run action while swimming, provided it swims in a straight line.

Dwarf Carp
Size/Type: Small Animal (Aquatic)
Hit Dice: 2d8+2 (11)
Initiative: +2
Speed: 5ft (1 square), Swim 40ft (8 squares)
Armor Class: 15 (+1 size, +2 Dex, +2 natural) touch 13, flat-footed 13
Base Attack/Grapple: +1/+6
Attack: Bite +3 (1d4+1)
Full Attack: Bite +3 (1d4+1) and tail slap -3 (1d3)
Space/Reach: 5ft/5ft
Special Attacks: Improved Grab
Special Qualities: Down to the Depths
Saves: Fort +4, Ref +5, Will +0
Abilities: Str 13, Dex 15, Con 13, Int 1, Wis 10, Cha 2
Skills: Escape Artist +6, Listen +2, Spot +2, Swim +15
Feats: AlertnessB, Weapon Focus (bite)
Environment: Temperate Aquatic
Organization: Solitary or School (5-30)
Challenge Rating: 1
Advancement: 3-5 HD (Medium), 6 HD (Large)

The deceptively named dwarf carp is the terror of fishermen and sailors everywhere. Most dwarf carp are easily three feet in length, while the largest specimens rival horses. Their name actually stems from their more common appearance within bodies of water in mountainous terrain and other areas favored by dwarves.
While their bite is deadly, the true danger of the dwarf carp is their instinct to drag their enemies underwater. The tenacious strength of a dwarf carp in its natural habitat has drowned many a man.

Improved Grab (Ex)
When a dwarf carp hits an opponent of any size with its bite attack, it deals normal damage and may attempt to start a grapple as a free action without provoking an attack of opportunity.

Down to the Depths (Ex)
A dwarf carp ignores size penalties to grapple checks and has a +4 racial bonus to grapple checks.

Skills
Dwarf carp have a +4 racial bonus on escape artist checks. A dwarf carp has a +8 racial bonus on any Swim check to perform some special action or avoid a hazard. It can always choose to take 10 on a Swim check, even if distracted or endangered. It can use the run action while swimming, provided it swims in a straight line.

danzibr
2012-12-06, 12:48 PM
Hmm cool. I could totally see myself using a bunch of dwarf carp in a low-level campaign. In fact... I think I'll throw it in my "Escape from the Underdark" campaign. Have to change the habitat though.

toapat
2012-12-06, 01:46 PM
wait, shouldnt the Carp have total concealment?

AmberVael
2012-12-06, 01:51 PM
Hmm cool. I could totally see myself using a bunch of dwarf carp in a low-level campaign. In fact... I think I'll throw it in my "Escape from the Underdark" campaign. Have to change the habitat though.
Glad you find it useful! I don't really put much stock in the environment type stuff myself, so I just kind of threw whatever looked mildly right at it and left it at that. If you want to put it in an underground lake it sounds perfectly fine to me.

wait, shouldnt the Carp have total concealment?

Explain this please?

toapat
2012-12-06, 02:00 PM
Explain this please?

Im refferencing the fact that the Carp in Dorf Fortress is almost the most dangerous creature in the game, third only to the Were-carp Carp and the Were-carp zombie carp

Zahhak
2012-12-06, 06:07 PM
You're a very strange one Vael.

Amechra
2012-12-06, 06:46 PM
Were-Dwarf Carp Dwarf!

Reaping Mauler actually might be useful!