PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Barbarian help

GrinningDemon
2012-12-06, 12:26 PM
Hey guys, I'm playing my first Pathfinder game and I went with a Barbarian because my group needed it. I've played barbs before and never had trouble building them but now with this new system I'm a little thrown off. I'm a level 2 and now have to choose a rage power and I'm not sure what one to pick..My build idea is tanky and destructive. I need to be able to soak up a lot of damage and kill things quickly so my group doesn't die. Any help?:smallsmile:

Blyte
2012-12-06, 02:22 PM
I think you got the right approach to barbarian tanking. Kill them before they do much damage to you.

there are a lot of good choices.

here is one for a 2handed non-reach weapon

level 2 (human?) -- invulnerable rager

feats
1power attack
1weapon focus (great sword/falchion/scimitar 2handed[useful if you are being grappled, you can still attack with it 1handed])

rage power
2reckless abandon

if you use a reach weapon then sub in combat reflexes instead of weapon focus.

GrinningDemon
2012-12-06, 03:10 PM
I forgot to mention my character is Half-Orc

Sayt
2012-12-06, 03:28 PM
I'd actually take Furious Focus over Weapon Focus. At level 1, you've got the same mechanical effect as weapon focus, at level four your power attack to hit is at 4+Str, whereas with weapon focus its Str+3.

Iteratives might sway it back in favour of the weapon focus, but I wouldn't think so. Also, Weapon Focus ties you too a single weapon, which can be annoying if your GM determines loot items randomly.

Blyte
2012-12-06, 05:36 PM
I'd actually take Furious Focus over Weapon Focus. At level 1, you've got the same mechanical effect as weapon focus, at level four your power attack to hit is at 4+Str, whereas with weapon focus its Str+3.

Iteratives might sway it back in favour of the weapon focus, but I wouldn't think so. Also, Weapon Focus ties you too a single weapon, which can be annoying if your GM determines loot items randomly.

iterative attacks do swing it back in favor of weapon focus. early it's a wash, 4-5 furious focus is better, and 6+ weapon focus is better. eventually with barbarians getting pounce at 10, you want the bonus for your latter swings. your primary attack is going to be a guaranteed hit (barring a 1) most of the time.

but yes, if your DM is magic item/crafting fickle, I wouldn't take weapon focus.. but I wouldn't bother with furious focus either.. because in the latter levels that first swing is going to be a nearly guaranteed smack.

I'd rather take extra rage power or extra rage.

----

if you are up for an overrun barbarian build and don't mind multi-classing, I have a fairly strong one I've enjoyed tyrannizing games with.

Exirtadorri
2012-12-06, 08:50 PM
You should also note that cleave works diffferently in pathfinder. You only need to hit the enemy for cleave :not kill it. Many people have said unless youre going fighter or twf weilding the same weapon weap focus is a waste. Honestly id go imp init or something that will always be good. Skill focus perception is a fav. Simple +3 but later it goes to +6. Also dodge is always active and dodge bonuses stack

GrinningDemon
2012-12-06, 09:20 PM
I like the idea of building on the crit...let me ask you this since I'm kind of the guard of the party do you guys think I should take Ground breaker?

Blyte
2012-12-07, 12:15 AM
it's not a bad power, but not always the best choice.

if you dip martial artist monk and take dragon style then you can charge over difficult terrain, which makes it not hinder you so much. if you opt for dwarf, you can also take undermining exploit which gives a +4 insight bonus to CMB against opponents on difficult terrain. you would also want to take greater ground breaker, but that's kinda focusing a build around ground breaking.

but, an overrunning dwarf creating and charging through difficult terrain isn't a bad build.