PDA

View Full Version : Lost fire magic idea.

Aldhissla
2012-12-06, 04:23 PM
Hello!

Months and months ago I was just for the heck of it putting together feats and class levels to make a pyromancer character as inefficiently blasty and damaging and resistance-penetrating as possible. Then I came across a PrC which by itself did not fit into the flavor of the build AT ALL, but it had a very interesting class ability.

It was something to the effect of Divine Fire, which changed either half or all of the fire damage you deal through spells into untyped divine damage. The class was I believe a divine casting progression servant of one of the generic gods- Heironeous, Kord- someone that didn't have anything to do with arcanists, but I couldn't get past the class ability.

I am certain that it was 3.0/3.5 material, but beyond that I can't remember the name. If anyone happens to know what Prestige Class this is, I would be thrilled to know.

BowStreetRunner
2012-12-06, 04:31 PM
Sacred Fist (CDiv 59) has an ability called Sacred Flames that adds damage (half fire/half sacred) to his unarmed attacks.

The Consecrate Spell feat (CDiv 79) changes half the damage from a spell to divine damage.

Maybe you were thinking of one of these?

Aldhissla
2012-12-06, 04:39 PM
No, I'm frustratingly sure that it was a five-level class from some book which was printed in black and white, and it was otherwise lackluster. Actually, it might have been a class which offered three or four different gods in its description. But thank you anyway. >.<

EDIT: Bingo! Sanctified One (of Kord,) page 100 or so of Complete Champion. I was wrong about it being printed in black and white.

BowStreetRunner
2012-12-06, 04:54 PM
No wonder I didn't recognize it. I've never been able to get through reading that entire prestige class without falling asleep. I mean seriously, it's pp 99-105! Who writes a prestige class that long and complicated?

Aldhissla
2012-12-06, 04:59 PM
Heheh. I skimmed it and I did just fine. I wonder now, however. Is Holy Fire (Su) saying I'm ONLY gaining a good-aligned quality for the purpose of overcoming DR, or would the fire spell also become the untyped divine damage like half of a Flame Strike?

BowStreetRunner
2012-12-06, 05:09 PM
Holy Fire (Su) says the following things:

It works on any spell you cast with the fire subtype (I honestly believe this is supposed to say fire descriptor - creatures have subtypes, spells have schools, subschools and descriptors).
It is a choice you make at the time of casting - you can always choose to deal normal fire damage instead, like when you are casting on a target that is vulnerable to fire.
It changes all fire damage dealt by the spell into divine damage.
The divine damage is treated as good-aligned for the purposes of overcoming damage reduction.

Oh, and divine damage is not untyped - it's type is 'divine'.

Aldhissla
2012-12-06, 05:11 PM
Oh, splendid! And yes, I saw a few typos in the whole entry as well; shouldn't it be Resistance instead of Damage Reduction, and the like?

But at any rate, thank you for clarifying in just the manner I hoped it would be!

phlidwsn
2012-12-07, 09:14 AM
There's also Silver Pyromancer, in Eberron - Five nations, p 150